• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I'll try some of the shows that were actually hyped tomorrow instead. Might actually keep up with I can't H though. Maybe check out the Senkyo ost for Elements Garden. The imouto show I'll watch vicariously through someone else (madpierrot?). See if Hagure is good fightan.
Good luck. :p

It actually reminds of that dirty fan edited gif of Lan from the trailer
Dat fingersex.

Can't unsee LOL
Me neither. Fuck.
Yep. lol

*is intrigued*

i only read the posts Chet Rippo sends to me
Chetlies.jpg

Credit to Jackben from the KS thread
It's apparently just one throw-away scene.

Narag

Saiunkoku Monogatari 3

I adore this OP so much. It sets the mood so well and I really like the usage of proverbs for the episode titles Looks like the drama is going to start now too. sogood
Seiran's a bro. Don't make him suffer. :(
Political intrigue too!

Making shit awkward there, Seiran.

Articalys

Phi Brain S2 14

Well, at least they let her play... for a bit. Such are the disadvantages of being a female character in a shonen series like this, I suppose.

Preview for episode 15 makes no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's coincidence that we're both watching it at around the same time and pace, though I suspect he'll finish it before me. It's not so much this season, I mean I haven't even seen more than 1 episode of any show yet.

I like space battle anime (Gun/Diebuster are among my all time favorite series) and I'm not in the mood for any of the goofy/cute/shounen/short series that revived my once almost-finished backlog. Plus I don't feel like catching up on Game of Thrones or Spartacus any time soon, so it seemed like a good time to give the universally acclaimed space opera a watch.

I'd really love to marathon the series, but I think a few eps a week will be a more realistic goal.
I actually ended up watching it in a week in summer. Just got hooked on it.
Has LoGH been released on BD? Is it old enough to have been made with cels?
cdJapan seems to have 4 box sets for only $1,000. What a deal!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But Chelsea won. Justice prevailed. The villains were slayed.
The Furuya brothers are such jerks I want the Momoyamamamoamomaofmaoma predators to lose.
LoGH 4

Well, it's little wonder these two managed to exploit their connections to the fullest to get where they are now considering how astute they were at such a young age. This also pretty much covered the rest of the unanswered question I had about them from the movie. Great stuff.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 01 - 04 - This show is special. The direction, the pacing, the...the music! The way they use but don't milk moments. And (so far) they're not telling me what the characters are thinking, so I get to use my brain a little! May be the best initial 4 episodes of a long-ish series I've seen. If I didn't have work and life I would finish this in a week.
other people are watching this too? I gotta step it up before you guys pass me by.

Jex

LoGH 3

Wow, only three episodes in and I think I've found one of the smarmiest, most unlikeable pieces of shit I've come across in recent memory and the second season of GoT only finished airing a couple of weeks ago! It's interesting that the movie incorporated some of the scenes from this and I'm guessing the next episode and managed to weave them in rather effortlessly.

What do you have against the face of modern democracy?

Jex

Apparently so, and he'll probably go again as he came back; silently to not return for a long time, or never.

Well, that paints a depressing pictures. I suppose Japanese companies just keep old timers in their basements for times such as these.

Moyashimon season 1

What a great show, easily one of my favorites now. The animation style took some getting used to, but was unique and enjoyable eventually. The new season's style is almost jarring in comparison.

Hasegawa is awesome, and her antics between the other characters is the highlight of the comedy. Favourite episodes by far was the spring festival.

I'm still not sure if Kei is transgender, or simply in love with Sawaki at this point. I'm sure season 2 will better explain his character.

Dresden

Accel World is an example of the kind of writing that exemplifies the traits of quality, foresight, vision, and an overriding concern for humanity.

Jex

It's really just another slice of life show with a supernatural element. There's nothing inherently wrong with it if slice of life doesn't offend you like it does a lot of people.
I see watching everything this season has finally warped your perception of good and bad.

Something interesting I noticed about Kokoro Connect: The dialogue is very similar to a live action Japanese comedy series/movie. I don't necessarily like that style but it's interesting to see because for whatever reason anime tends to have a different style. The other recent example of this style was Hanasaku Iroha, although that series did it a bit better.

Jex

It is.

It's not any different from the shitty "oh we're all girls in a bath therefore we need to molest each other" scene in every anime ever.

Hey, that doesn't happen in every show, you've just been watching the wrong kind of anime, firehawk12.

Milky Holmes 03

Untold horrors are hidden within that.

Yeah, the villains are so much more fun than the heroes. Well, not miss booby lady, but the other three are.

This episode was really good at the latter half. The fight was full of energy and lots of fun to watch. The first half was ok, with more drama and whatever crap.
Given how far Milky Holmes have fallen, it certainly makes sense that they'd be arguing among themselves...

Is this really all it takes to trick people? Kokoro Connect is a terrible show. The way everyone acts is extremely unnatural, and everything is pretty much a bore consequentially. There isn't really anything redeeming about it.
Kokoro Connect was pretty good. I can't think of anything significantly negative to say about it, really. Liked it a lot.

Yuruyuri s2 2:

Another fun episode. Not as great as the first but still amusing. The second segment with the snake/bug catching was the most fun. The snake itself really pulled its weight there. Akari's troll face during Old Maid and Kyouko's stunned look are so good.
Nowhere near as fun as the first.

Kokoro Connect 1:

Going into the content of the show, it's not bad though most of my entertainment has been through Iori (dat Toyosaki) being outgoing and a little crude (though it looks like she has a not quite so cheery time at home). The other characters weren't bad but far more amusing in conjunction with Iori. I like Inaba though (dat Sawashiro). It's another bunch of misfits in a club sort of but I can enjoy that sort of thing. I don't feel like the body swapping thing has added too much yet honestly. The whole fondling yuri thing was amusing enough but I wouldn't really call that a good hook to the show yet. Will have to see if this actually becomes something that adds to the show rather than detract upon it. WWF wrestlers on the walls do tickle my fancy though
I thought the bodyswap element in ep. 1 was done well, but it is the interaction between the characters that's the core of the show, yeah. Of course, though, the bodyswap makes that interaction more interesting...

I'm looking forward to it.

Wow, when you guys said drill hair I didn't think it was meant to be taken literally.
And that's why she has the best drill hair I've ever seen.

Stills just don't do her hair justice.
MBKRF.gif
Yeah, that's just amazing. :lol

They like to make a joke of it in every episode.
Q50mu.png
Gah, you're almost making me want to watch the whole show now too, even though I know how bad it is... :(

Sigh. It's not me, it's you. My argument was that they didn't act like privateers. Your explanations do not make what I said wrong you just explained why. Also, being entertainers first and foremost makes them even less of privateers. So somewhere along the way you forgot what you were arguing.
Um, you were wrong though, all of the details you were complaining about were wrong... I mean, yes, they don't do real piracy, but all of that stuff you were saying, about why the government allows them to attack people, etc... well, that's not really what's going on, and the show explains why.

Your defense here is apparently that you're focusing only on the bit you were sort of right about, but my point was that all of the things you were complaining about weren't accurate. If the complaint is that you wish they were real pirates, though, then sure, they aren't. But Space Pirates is the result of what you get when you mix a traditional sci-fi TV show with anime, so it shouldn't be surprising that the main characters are the good guys... (because, I mean, attacking random ships would be much more morally questionable of course.)

What? No.
Yes, easily.

Why would I want to watch something so bad I can't finish it?

Only if it's the terrorist's law that I watch a bad anime would knowing which one is the least bad be helpful.
What, so you've never watched a bad anime? Hah... or is your excuse that you'd only watch a bad anime you think you could finish? Even so...

Campione shit.
Well, you're the one assuming she's highly trained. For all we know she's a first year flunkie from the Witches Academy. Also she's 16, highly trained only goes so far at 16.
This is true, but the person on the show claimed that she was well trained.

However the show's for guys is the explanation, excuse and whatever, in fact it doesn't need a damn excuse. It's not sexist for a man to save a woman. It's not sexist writing a story about a man saving a woman. The only reason that's considered sexist by so many is because there's not an equal amount of fiction where the woman is the hero that saves the man. If there were equal amounts of work with each gender being the hero no one would think it's sexist.
Well, of course. That that difference exists is basically the definition of sexism, you know.

So just merely having a story where a man saves a woman does not make it sexist. There's sexism and there's fucking sexism man. If everyone avoided writing any fiction where a man saves a woman that'd be sexist by exclusion and would portray an equally sexist portrayal of women. I think there should be a term for normal neutral sexism, that is because everything is sexist to some degree as dictated by nature or circumstance, and harmful or negative sexism. Having a man save a woman in a story is not harmful or negative sexism in my opinion.
As applied in that show, that's not "neutral sexism", if such a thing exists... no way. And I just won't accept "well because of the genre it's inevitable", that kind of acceptance of sexism does no good. And anyway, presenting women in stories as things which always must be rescued IS sexist, unquestionably. It's a negative stereotype, essentially.

No, I arrived at the opinion that Campione! is sexist for a different reason is all. I don't believe it is sexist because the boy saves the girl but it is sexist because of the way the girl is portrayed in every damn scene. So the show is sexist just not because it has a scene where a guy saves the day.
There's that too, but the rescue scenes are the most obviously sexist ones.

And you know, I really have to wonder, why do you still watch shit that you know you'll find sexist and rage about it. But not rage hard enough to just drop the damn show? I've said this before but it really does feel like you proclaiming sexism is merely a conditioned response you feel you're obligated to give because I can't see any other way you could be so vocally opposed to sexism and yet spend so much of your time watching show in a medium that is negative towards women well over 99% of the time.
Hey, I drop shows all the time... I certainly do not finish everything I start, not even close. Are there a few cases of shows I found really, unpleasantly sexist that I've finished? Yes, but not all that many... I generally try to avoid such things. Perhaps you are right that I watch too much of them despite that, but the problem is, sexism's so pervasive in anime that if I wanted to avoid it entirely I don't know if there'd be anything left...

And other times, like with Maken-Ki, I basically wanted to force myself to watch it despite hating it beginning to end. But that is quite rare. You quite exaggerate how often I watch particularly bad shows... and if I'm going to stick with something, more often it'd be by focusing on the parts I do like, versus the parts I don't. Of course Maken-Ki didn't really have any good parts, but most other things I've finished do. Is "I hate that part of this show, but like this other part" and excuse, and really I shouldn't watch it at all? I don't know, maybe it should depend on the relative amounts of each... but it sort of does, really. I mean, like, Rin (in Fate/Stay Night) is great, I like the character a lot, but not good enough to actually get myself to suffer through that whole anime -- I dropped it early on because of the insufferable sexism and awful writing.

But sure, I notice sexism in a lot of stuff, because it's there.

Watching them got me nowhere too!
Well yeah, my point there was that there's no logic to be found in analyzing scenes such as those. :)

So when you say you don't hate the characters you mean you don't hate they way they look? You're not talking about their actual characterization just the design? Isn't. That. Sexist? Should you not be judging everyone by their character and not by their appearance? And the blonde girl, they do tons with her, tons, just all of it bad.
Well, the character designs are okay, and I found some bits of the episode amusing... like I said above, if stupid generic anime scenes got me to stop watching shows, I'd watch a whole lot less anime. And her character is kind of annoying and generic, and certainly stereotyped in negative ways that I don't like, but her character isn't not the type I dislike the most on sight, like, say, that first girl in the Imouto show is. I kind of like tsundere characters... (see: Rin Tohsaka, Naru in Love Hina, etc.)

There's only one way the girl can be redeemed. One. And that's that she's a fucking scheming power hungry witch who knew what power was in the Grimoire the second she saw it, had an idea of how things were going to go down and wants that power for herself without any of the possible negative side effects so figures she can manipulate this dude into getting the power for himself and just fool him into doing what she wants. Then her damsel in distress act makes sense. Then the kiss at the end makes sense. Then getting drunk for no reason makes sense. Riding on top of the car, I can't make that make sense.

Of course that's probably not what's going on.
That would certainly entirely redeem her character, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. :( (It's usually too bad when the tsundere inevitably falls for the undeserving moron lead...)

Way. Arcane Famiglia had, like Campione, a terrible cast of characters but Arcane Famiglia has way more bad characters.
Arcana Famigila has way more characters, period, so there's no way you can make a fair comparison there.

No, Angel Beats is total ass.
No, it's great.

You were probably thinking of my comment regarding Hagure Yuusha no Estetica.
Yes, that is what I was thinking of. And my answer to that would be that hte answer is that anime fantasy isn't really set in the past at all, or if it is it's not set before the 1800s, so why should the modern world surprise her? Anime fantasy basically is modern in a lot of the ways that matter... of course as I made quite clear in that post I linked I really, really dislike that fact, but that IS how it is. So, I think that that element of Estetica is COMPLETELY, totally stupid, horrible, and represents awful writing, but I'm not surprised in the least. I wish I was, but I'm not at all. :(

Anyways, no, it doesn't actually bother me that much. To me world consistency is good, for sure, but the main consistency I care about is character consistency. Do the characters act like people? If the characters act like they belong in that world and act like you'd expect each of them to act within their defined personalities than they can sell a world setting no matter how insane.
I'd say I definitely care more about world consistency than character consistency.

duckroll

Mass Effect Paragon Lost trailer

I think action visuals look alright and it does look a bit more pumping and intense than Dragon Age, though great its all humans here.
preordered

My God. Something about that looks really wrong. Like a lame Saturday Morning Cartoon. At least the effects animation looks good, nice explosions and all.

I'm so glad Yoshinari bailed from that shit.

Did he bail from it? Or did he just *finish* working on it? ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom