• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oda Nobuna 1

Oh how far you've fallen Madhouse. HotD was dumb but at least it was dumb fun. This is just dumb and boring. I guess the only redeeming factor is that Ohana can finally cut down all how oppose her.

Tari Tari 1-2

Now his was actually enjoyable to watch. I felt the second episode moved a little too fast but its clear that the show is now setup for the main characters to join the club. Will continue to watch.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Accel World 09
ieGs9.jpg
FhS80.jpg
7oyvA.jpg
This anime is the most anime anime I've watched in my long-lasting anime career of watching anime. Tone dissonance up all the wazoo too. The serious moments are dull and trite and shit while the rest of the show is surprisingly impressive.
This was the moment Accel World went from "fun but trash" to "fucking genius" for me.

Milky Holmes 04

All rightie, this was an extremely fun episode.

Sure, the villains didn't appear that much, but all that comedy. Pretty much everything with the bear was the best part of the episode.

And, really. That was such an overdone bomb, which makes it awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I see watching everything this season has finally warped your perception of good and bad.
Kokoro Connect is nowhere near the worst anime. Based on first episodes, it's about as inoffensive as Tari Tari.

Hey, that doesn't happen in every show, you've just been watching the wrong kind of anime, firehawk12.
That's like 99% of the anime that airs now though. What can ya do?

Oh ABF you make this too easy.

Could always just say nothing if you're worried about that. A little late now I guess.
All you need to do is admit you're wrong and it'll be over. Simple! :)

Seriously though, I like debate, it's circular arguments that get tedious. But sometimes I can't help but get in them again anyway.

Angel Beats isn't even specifically KEY though, it's PA Works and Jun Maeda. The writing is bad but, as has been stated before, the writing is only one component to the mess.
The writing is good. As always with Key works, the writing is the series' top strength. They're very good at what they do. (As for the first part, Jun Maeda is one of Key's central people, and he did AB, so I think it's safe to call it a Key work.)

With that said, your continued intellectual dishonesty in INSISTING that our misgivings of the show are invalid because we have some hate-filled irrational vendetta against an entertainment company is quite annoying. Oh no, I say negative stuff about KEY, obviously I'm just being spiteful and biased and it can't be that I just don't like them or the stories they create. Might as well unironically call out 7th and pizzaroll for their SHAFT hate, or duckroll for his Nasu hate, or etc etc.
First: insert "Angel Beats" instead of "Key" here if you wish; it'd all apply equally if I was just talking about that show in specific.

Obviously this varies from person to person, you're not all the same. You've said this before, but others? I don't think Branduil, for instance, has ever even implied that. No, it's more stuff like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39666511&postcount=6504 , or alternately, yet another post with those same stupid pictures in them. I was speaking in general there, and in general don't see much at all of what I said.

But seriously, are you trying to deny that there's a big contingent of Key hate here? That'd be a pretty hard case to make... that group of animeGAF people stand out strongly against the general opinion of most other anime-fan places I've seen on the net, with regards to Key. I'm not saying that makes them wrong, of course it doesn't, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It does make me wonder how it happened, though. Did some people say it first and then did others agree because they thought it was cool here to hate on Key (sort of like with Donkey Kong 64, I'm sure some of the people who've been hating on it since 2001 liked it at first, before they saw web opinion on the game had turned...), or did people who dislike them all come here because of frustration about how popular Key otherwise is... more likely some of both, I'd think.

The fact that many of these misgivings are opinions is implicit. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. It's also pretty weird trying to call us out for not being explicit in our use of opinionated statements when you frame your nonsense in an objective sense.
Um, I've always said that I try to make it clear when I'm saying something that's a fact, and when I'm saying something that's an opinion... and if it's not clear it should be. Your comments here don't make any sense, in that light.

I certainly think Maeda is an awful writer, so as far as I'm concerned, your entire paragraph is trash.
Anyone can have an opinion, but that doesn't make it objectively true... and I'm sure an objective analysis would not support that. Absolutely no way. The reason that Kanon, Air, and Clannad were all popular, after all, was because of his good writing.

I know there are certainly cases of bad things that do become popular -- the toaru universe immediately springs to mind -- but no way is this one of them.

I don't either, but that's because it's kind of a lazy way of demonstrating what is a much bigger problem.
I will agree here, though of course, as I've said before, I don't even see some of the things that are complained about, as far as visuals go.

It certainly looks high budget. That doesn't mean it looks GOOD though. Honestly I can't get over how completely horrible the color scheme is, and the excessive amount of filtering and bloom present just makes it look worse.
I liked the flashy look of the show, myself.

Yeah, you already know how I feel about this nonsense.
What, so you're sticking to "I hate the writing and so it's objectively bad"? That's not how it works...

The style isn't the main problem, it's the lack
The lack of what? You didn't finish this thought.

KEY has its fanbase. Whatever. That's a dead-end argument from the start because the sample we're talking about in terms of anime fans at large is meaningless. Comparing sales and fanbases for fun and merriment is one thing, but I could just as easily be content with unfairly calling the entire KEY fanbase a bunch of tasteless fools .
It's not a deadend argument, that Key has a large fanbase, and generally gets good reviews, shows that the opinions of people like you and the others here are far from some objective, or commonly accepted, analysis; instead, it's something by people who hate it. Like, don't ask me to give completely objective analysis of Sony hardware design, I doubt i could do it given how much I dislike them. :)

(I don't btw)
You don't? That's good, but saying that Key's lead writer is an objectively horrible writer isn't a very large step away from that, I think...

All fiction is manipulative to some extent. Some are just better and making it acceptable than others.
Sure, this is true.

Well one of the show's problems is how not seamless the comedy and drama are. Turns out that was a bad idea. I agree that it's definitely different from Maeda's usual fare. It's still bad, just in different ways.
I thought that the concept, a setting where they actually could mix comedy, action, and tragic drama seamlessly, was brilliant. That kind of tone dissonance rarely works, but one of the most interesting things about Angel Beats was that in this series, there actually was a setting that succeeded in creating the kind of world where that kind of tonal dissonance didn't just work, but worked well.

I loved the ending for how hilarious and stupid it was.
The ending was fantastic and moving, and wasn't funny or stupid at all.

Suit yourself. You like what you like after all. Just don't expect to change anyone's mind.
It became obvious at least a year ago that you're all dead set in your Key/AB hate, yes.

Then he should have tried a different story.
As I said above, why would he? He came up with a great one.

It's one of those weird shows where it felt like it was rushed to hell but at the same time didn't even have enough material to cover the 12 episodes it had.

I'm not sure how to concisely describe that phenomenon.
They had plenty of material, they just needed the time to expand on it... it's definitely too bad that it didn't get a full (two-cour) season. What you're describing there is probably the result of having to cut so much that some things don't quite work which would have with the full length.

Narag

PGSM 33-36

There's something satisfying about a derivative work escaping the shadow of its predecessor and becoming something special in its own right. The show is, without a doubt, rather low budget and it'll never escape that but whoever adapted this did a stellar job in creating great motivations for both sides. It's fun to get caught up in this melodrama.

Milky Holmes 04

All rightie, this was an extremely fun episode.

Sure, the villains didn't appear that much, but all that comedy. Pretty much everything with the bear was the best part of the episode.

And, really. That was such an overdone bomb, which makes it awesome.
Yeah, that bear episode is one of the best. Great stuff, and some funny moments too. That bear... :lol

I think you know the answer to that - stop watching anime.
While that might be a good idea, what would we post about in this thread, then? :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PGSM 33-36

There's something satisfying about a derivative work escaping the shadow of its predecessor and becoming something special in its own right. The show is, without a doubt, rather low budget and it'll never escape that but whoever adapted this did a stellar job in creating great motivations for both sides. It's fun to get caught up in this melodrama.
Here's the question though: did Happy Science influence PGSM or did PGSM influence Happy Science.

Narag

Here's the question though: did Happy Science influence PGSM or did PGSM influence Happy Science.

Happy Science wishes it had half the mythos of PGSM. That said, bring on a Happy Science toku movie where Buddha lays the Laws down against rubber suited monsters. Throw in some sweet transformation scenes on top of that.

You're stuck in Sword Art Online, how long do you survive?
http://en.shindanmaker.com/247584
Narag is stuck in SAO. Level: 2. Dies 3 days in while killing mobs.

Fuck

El Sloth

Banned
PGSM 33-36

Despite having started it at 33 this series has still been fun to watch. I guess that counts for something.

duckroll

This is amazing:

Chitanda is stuck in SAO. Level: 3. Dies 15 months in due to crappy party members.

Oreki is stuck in SAO. Level: 12. Dies half a year in due to crappy party members.

Satoshi is stuck in SAO. Level: 9. Survives till the end of the game!

Mayaka is stuck in SAO. Level: 7. Dies 3 hours in due to a fried brain.

Now we all know how that Hyouka crossover will go.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I'll try some of the shows that were actually hyped tomorrow instead. Might actually keep up with I can't H though. Maybe check out the Senkyo ost for Elements Garden. The imouto show I'll watch vicariously through someone else (madpierrot?). See if Hagure is good fightan.

hahah, that's one of only two or three shows I'm not even going to give a chance this summer. Better luck elsewhere!

I think you're tying to say that Gonzo is better than SilverLink.

Prisma Illya will level the playing field.

You're stuck in Sword Art Online, how long do you survive?
http://en.shindanmaker.com/247584

FUCK YEAH I'M INVINCIBLE

"madpierrot is stuck in SAO. Level: 1. Survives till the end of the game!"

Yeah, Endymion was a better ruler of Mu, especially with that entourage.

Does this mean that Crystal Tokyo will sink into the ocean under the weight of its own sin eventually?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
PGSM 33-36

It was like they made episode 34 just for me and darkside. There can never be enough AmixRei to satisfy me, but this episode sure did deliver.

Usagi
going super sailor in episode 36 was so badass
. I can't wait for Thursday!

Regarding that SAO survival generator:

SDBurton is stuck in SAO. Level: 30. Dies 1 month in after falling off a cliff.

Game was ass anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You're the worst!
ibfvVQUTNjtSWv.png

It's apparently just one throw-away scene.

It is.

It's not any different from the shitty "oh we're all girls in a bath therefore we need to molest each other" scene in every anime ever.
Are you two sure you're not confusing Girls Bravo with my earlier post about Kokopops Connect? The Girls Bravo scene is far from throw away. Besides it's a QUALITY show there's a lot more reasons to watch it.

i only read the posts Chet Rippo sends to me
What a strange existence.

Hey, BGBW said it not me. Don't shoot the messenger!
Ignore them.

Nichijou 23-26

Now I can say I watched Nichijou, as that's about all I can say about it.
Sorry UltimaD, sounds likes Chet will never be inspired to draw you a Yuuko avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom