• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you two sure you're not confusing Girls Bravo with my earlier post about Kokopops Connect? The Girls Bravo scene is far from throw away. Besides it's a QUALITY show there's a lot more reasons to watch it.
I was talking about Kokoro Connect. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BGBW is stuck in SAO. Level: 54. Dies half a year in due to crappy party members.

GAF makes me commit sudoku. Thanks guys.

I already said in the IRC my strategy would be to just chill until someone else clears all the levels in the tower. Non-respawning enemies make this the best strategy.

Branduil

Gunslinger Girl 2

isXfGMCWtBRMb.jpg

Dat hush money.

This episode isn't as good as the first one, if only because like a third of it is reused footage. The new part of the episode is still sharp, and it firmly establishes that this show is character-focused and not driven by some overarching political plot; being a cyborg assassin is suffering.

I though this shot was pretty neat, they actually animated her inverted reflection in the wine glass.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
GAF makes me commit sudoku. Thanks guys.

I already said in the IRC my strategy would be to just chill until someone else clears all the levels in the tower. Non-respawning enemies make this the best strategy.

And Kayaba laughs as all of his assumptions about diffusion of responsibility in human nature are reinforced, making him feel justified in his twisted social experiment :(

Soma

Mononoke Episode 01

HiHXR.jpg

Hmm.

Well the art style and animation is definitely unique. On one hand it does the classic Japanese atmosphere very well but on the other hand I'm not sure if I personally dug the slow pace of this episode and the disjointed feel of the dialogue. I'm sure it'll be one of those things I'll get used to. In any case, the story picked up in the last few minutes so I'm interested to see where this particular arc goes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mononoke Episode 01

HiHXR.jpg
It will grow on you past the first two episodes. Episode 3-5 are pretty epic and intense. Also you should have started with the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi Classic Japanese Horror before you started watching Mononoke!

I actually wonder if Evil Creator Guy thought of this and started insta-killing anyone below a certain level in SAO after a certain period of time. Chilling in town and waiting for someone to clear the tower sounds like an exploit that should be patched if you ask me.

Dresden

No... it's a perfectly legit strategy. Your goal is survival, not achievos. If some dudes want to grind all day and kill bosses and shit, good for them. I'll chill in town while killing pigs for beer money.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
No... it's a perfectly legit strategy. Your goal is survival, not achievos. If some dudes want to grind all day and kill bosses and shit, good for them. I'll chill in town while killing pigs for beer money.
Reminds me of a session I DM'd once where everyone ditched the questing in order to settle for living with elven maidens instead.

Girls Bravo 1
rLdUT.png

The moon is full of crazy women.
Guy is a big loser, get's picked on all the girls, gets rashes from touching them, then gets transported to a mythical land through his bathtub where all but 10% of the population is female, hilarity ensues. At the end of the day he returns to earth with his moon waifu, much to the frustration to his childhood friend and neighbor.
VsPQL.jpg

ツンツン

But what about when you run out of pigs and you're too low level to kill anything else?

Soma

It will grow on you past the first two episodes. Episode 3-5 are pretty epic and intense. Also you should have started with the last 3 episodes of Ayakashi Classic Japanese Horror before you started watching Mononoke!

Yeeeaaah somehow totally missed the fact that Mononoke was part of a bigger story before starting it. Ah well, I'll have to watch Ayakashi afterwards at least.

Narag

I like the concept of this more and more. Hell, I hope there's some sort of symbiotic relationship with levelling players feeding materials and whatnot into the economy of low level town dwellers who in turn craft shit up and enable the levellers to get further via produced goods. Well maybe that's asking too much.

THE POWAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH OF EL CANT--wait, wha?

Thoth is stuck in SAO. Level: 56. Survives till the end of the game!

Unsung badass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And Kayaba laughs as all of his assumptions about diffusion of responsibility in human nature are reinforced, making him feel justified in his twisted social experiment :(
Yeah, the mass murder is fine because he justified it, but I'm bad because I just want to run around in the virtual nude. This game sounds worse and worse every second.

I actually wonder if Evil Creator Guy thought of this and started insta-killing anyone below a certain level in SAO after a certain period of time. Chilling in town and waiting for someone to clear the tower sounds like an exploit that should be patched if you ask me.

He'll patch it after he adds a log out button.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Unsung badass.

Screw it, let's just do all of 'em.

La Mu is stuck in SAO. Level: 26. Dies 1 year in due to crappy party members.
Rient Arl Croud is stuck in SAO. Level: 16. Dies 1 month in due to PK.
Ophealis is stuck in SAO. Level: 24. Survives till the end of the game!
Hermes is stuck in SAO. Level: 1. Dies 22 months in while killing mobs.

Atlantis + Ancient Ancient Greece superiority confirmed

Well if there's something in it for me...

You mean doing a simple favor for Ultimadrago isn't enough motivation? :(

I like the concept of this more and more. Hell, I hope there's some sort of symbiotic relationship with levelling players feeding materials and whatnot into the economy of low level town dwellers who in turn craft shit up and enable the levellers to get further via produced goods. Well maybe that's asking too much.

Yeah, the mass murder is fine because he justified it, but I'm bad because I just want to run around in the virtual nude. This game sounds worse and worse every second.

I don't think they are going for realistic MMO mechanics anyways. It doesn't sound like this game has crafting judging from what little we've seen and Kirito's comment that he keeps his same sword the entire game. As MMOs go, it really sounds a lot more like a Phantasy Star Online type of game in terms of the mechanics. You climb a tower with 100 floors, that hasn't been done to death in every offline RPG either. And yeah, no magic. Whatever, ranged classes always are the most unbalanced in MMOs anyways, so I'm okay with this.

Dresden

But what about when you run out of pigs and you're too low level to kill anything else?
Rob other players, of course.
It won't go into it much but it's implied there's definitely an economy at work--some players just choose to level up their crafting skills, for example, and buy in-game buildings to set up stores in. There should be an episode devoted to this, assuming they adapt all of volume 2.

The problem with those who never venture out of the first floor city is that they're basically restricted to materials that you'd find in a tutorial zone of any other MMO (thus, a total dead end). The dead economy in this zone means that it's difficult for them to even make enough money to feed themselves or find a place to sleep. And finally, there are other players to contend with.

Unknown Soldier said:
You climb a tower with 100 floors, that hasn't been done to death in every offline RPG either.
Each floor is a unique biome on its own. They don't go to a tower, they're already in one; the place in episode one is the first floor. The entire game world of Aincrad is the tower.

Rob other players, of course.

It won't go into it much but it's implied there's definitely an economy at work--some players just choose to level up their crafting skills, for example, and buy in-game buildings to set up stores in. There should be an episode devoted to this, assuming they adapt all of volume 2.

The problem with those who never venture out of the first floor city is that they're basically restricted to materials that you'd find in a tutorial zone of any other MMO (thus, a total dead end). The dead economy in this zone means that it's difficult for them to even make enough money to feed themselves or find a place to sleep. And finally, there are other players to contend with.
So you have living gods at the top of the tower and the starving, homeless masses at the bottom? Awesome.

I hope that there are other towns higher up.

Dresden

So you have living gods at the top of the tower and the starving, homeless masses at the bottom? Awesome.

I hope that there are other towns higher up.

There's a city on each floor.

The impetus is to keep moving. But the 'safe' way to do it is to wait for the 'clearers' to get everything mapped out (and to wipe out all the bosses), then to go cautiously as a group to grind on weak mobs until you outlevel everything.

Just like real raids!

Maybe you should get off your lazy ass and start clearing the tower with the other tryhards then!
But...but I suck at MMOs. ;-; I was always the guy standing in the fire/acid/cleave radius.

The impetus is to keep moving. But the 'safe' way to do it is to wait for the 'clearers' to get everything mapped out (and to wipe out all the bosses), then to go cautiously as a group to grind on weak mobs until you outlevel everything.

Just like real raids!
This is really kind of neat.

Narag

Just like real raids!

Does this mean we're getting different locales? Also can you go back down the tower to safer zones for respite or is it one way?

Dresden

Does this mean we're getting different locales? Also can you go back down the tower to safer zones for respite or is it one way?

You can freely travel to any floor that's been cleared. You can choose to stay in some particularly idyllic setting and just fish or something to live if you want.

Instro

It's pretty cool that Accel World seems to have these really nice sakuga scenes, yet we can still look back and remember that awful bathroom art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom