• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
WZoYU.jpg

Screw you duckroll this won't be good!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The K-ON movie is coming out soon?!!

OMG I'm so hyped!
Truly the animu we deserve.
And Eva is? Lol. If you make a show which kids don't want and adults aren't interested in, that's your problem. Goro Miyazaki sucks and he should feel bad that he's ruining the Ghibli brand. :D
something something disney something something japan
All I care about is that Eva 3.0 will steamroll an actual Ghibli movie! I don't care about the rest of the details!! #fanboyfuckyeah
Eh, K-ON movie isn't going to do anywhere near what the second Rebuild did.
K-On and Haruhi both sell 30-40k+ on their individual series volumes. The Haruhi movie sold about 135k. The K-On movie should do similar numbers.
You guys are worse than console war apologists.
Talking of plushies, they should have gotten someone from Japan to design the 2012 Olympic mascots if they wanted them to sell. Alien CCTV cameras are not kawaii. No wonder they are not getting the revenue they expected.
The last truly great sport mascot was Footix for the 1998 World Cup.
Germ moé? Why am I surprised?
Well, what do you expect when you have this guy as your mayor:

http://stinkyponky.co.uk/images/current/boris.jpg
You say this as if the governors of every other city in the world were paragons of awesomeness.
Ginga e Kickoff!! 15

ZAWA ZAWA
Pecho. Frío.
WHERE HAS THIS SHOW BEEN ALL MY LIFE
Ginga e Kickoff 15
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m70j1rTCKs1qiy0cao1_500.png
Thank goodness for Kota and Ouzou. Reika is such a burden on field and off the field, she was rather as annoying as Erika. Regardless it was still fun even facepalm inducing, but I can't wait until we get a serious multiepisode game again.

Preview:
If those three are leaving, then that means Aoto can finally join the team!
STOP SHITTING ON REIKA YOU ARSE ;_;
Or, to paint a broader picture, it's always been about girls doing kawaii, non-threatening activities.
Like Lagrange if Lagrange didn't have that silly war subplot!
I've always considered the incredibly generic, and rather boring, space-opera backstory to the be the worst part of the show. The show seems to be at it's best when it's dealing with other matters.
<3 Finally someone who understands me.
Truly a proerty whose sales are unaffected by the quality of the series itself.
Like most of animu, yeah.
Anime will die cause nothing will replace the big 3? I like this future
Blunt. You should be more accepting of shitty tastes.
Those four toed feet.
FUCK YOU
Ginga kickoff 15

footy drama stuff. I do love the whole 'we don't have time, focus on the twins' approach. Beats the typical 1 training arc, strongest team ever formula.

And have they even recycled footy animation yet? This show just keeps on impressing.

It does make the other hot sports show (kuroko) seem super low budget.
I know, it's pretty great, isn't it?
K-ON!GAF is this way.
1. Claim K-ON fans aren't welcome in thread.
2. Make the third most posts in said thread.

Hmmm.....
K-ON! is the My Little Pony of anime fans. Everyone claims they are not watching it, but they are.
Well, it's a bit more complex than that. The problem isn't really just a case of animators vs higher-ups here. It is rather a case where animators have always been paid terribly, but since it is an artistic field, the majority are driven by the desire to contribute their talent rather than for financial gain. If a full scale strike were to be organized, someone would need to lead it, and the majority of animators would need to agree to it.

But why would they do that when they would be destroying their own industry? What exactly would they be striking for in the first place? I think we're all in agreement that there are no reasonable terms which can be negotiated to improve working conditions for animators without the majority of sponsors and studios having to basically shut down overnight and the entire industry to reinvent a new business model which might or might not work.

That's not the sort of thing you can strike over. You have a strike when you think there is a reasonable chance that you can negotiate for better terms without the entire industry going under. For the average Japanese animator, especially the talented ones and the veterans, if you ask them whether they would choose the shit pay they have now, or the possibility of never working in animation again, what do you think they would say?

Those who really cannot survive as an animator and need better financial conditions generally leave the industry and find work in another field. So the ones who really matter in the industry are those who have basically chosen this path knowing full well that its a shitty job, but they love doing it. Most of them can probably get an office job somewhere else which pays better and is more stable, so it's not a case where they're literally being forced to work in this industry either.

It's pretty much an unsolvable problem unless the entire industry actually collapses. Which it won't because there's just enough to keep it going as long as the money is there. That money just doesn't trickle down, because if it ever does, then there won't be much money at all to even motivate anyone to fund anime.
Sounds like an industry not worth supporting aka why the fuck are we here? We should be condemned as war criminals.
Miki Sayaka figure just arrived :D
I wish I had your disposable income.
Horizon S2 02

Oh. My. God.

That little birdie wearing its little bowtie is the cutest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Eeeee!
PICS OR GTFO
http://i.imgur.com/JDb8Al.jpg

Of course she did. That's Kaoru for ya.
An ex-gf of mine had that hairstyle. She's pregnant now. :mad:
Kugimiya power, plus a decent showing for the other Hyouka lead girl.
THE REIGN OF TAIGA WILL NEVER END
Im going watch Brave right now but Ill post the list when I get back.
Great choice. Brave gets a lot of slack around here, I don't know why. I suppose it's the girlie cooties.
GUISE

Utena or Planetes?
I haven't watched Planetes yet, but Utena should be obligatory watching.
<3
RAW RAW FIGHT THE POWER
BEST PRECURES
...who are you and where have you been all my life...?
I've been pimpin' Utena out all this time and you have never given me that comment. :( #NTR
Rinne no lagrange - 01

Yeah, ok. This looks like it's going to be really good. No lame-ass male protagonist to deal with and the visuals are stunning.

Not to mention there's a fair amount of T&A, but not to the point where it detracts from the show or becomes ridiculous. We'll see how it progresses.
<3
Truest truth ever written in this thread.
haha I love it when you act all rebel and shit
Considering my taste in general mainly skews towards fiction with interesting well-rounded female characters whether it be anime, books or television. I'd say yes it is!
I wish the anime higher-ups listened to you. Maybe that way we wouldn't have shitty haremcrap protagonists like Cartman-kun.
Ok I think this is everything. Nitpick away!
This is what I have on DVD/BR not an entire list of what I have seen. Only what I actually have.
I wish I had your disposable income.
Precure All-Stars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi

BECAUSE WE'RE AMAZING and YOU'RE NOT. Heartcatch supremacy.
Franchise should have stopped after Heartcatch's end. Umakoshi set the bar too high for everyone else to follow.
Something something imouto first 5 minutes:

Dropped like a sack of shit covered by maggots into a volcano.
Watching anime, easy-modo style.
When even Tales characters look better you should be perfectly aware that you have serious design problems.
shhhhh don't tell ducky
Is Lagrange worth continuing if im not that into it by episode 5?
No.
Have you by chance seen Neon Genesis Evangelion?
What's a Neon Genesis Evangelion? Is that like eighties anime?
http://i.imgur.com/rYD5J.jpg

HOLY SMOKES

FUUKA MASSIVE UPGRADE
DID I MISS A PERSONA 5 ANNOUNCEMENT OR SOMETHING

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS
i watched Nichijou for the animation
HIPSTER
And yet I love this place because of all this shit.
fi-re-hawk! fi-re-hawk! fi-re-hawk!
sekai wa sore wo ai to yobundaze!
Sailor Moon 18

Dolls. FUCK DOLLS.
Figurines or the ones with the big eyes and articulations and all that shit?
mangaf is weird. Not much conversation, just random pics of random pages of random manga or everyone giving F's to shounen wednesday.
I attribute animeGAF's dynamic conversation to the cult of the moé.
So animeGAF?
This place is way more awesome.
SMH at all the Azu-nyan haters.

You guys should all feel bad for hating the best Keion.
I thought we had agreed on the term k-onts.

Thoraxes

GUISE

Utena or Planetes?

Fuck, both are so good.

Just watch both at the same time. It's your only choice really. I loved both of them lots.

Additionally, to let you keep your sanity longer (before your mind is blown by all the fabulousness), watch the Utena movie at the very end of watching both.

fine, prove me right/wrong.

Best socks in anime. GO.

Oddly, only characters I remember are perhaps chizurus (kimiboku), non standard colors

2 Rinne 2 Lagrange 01

Were sales really that low that they had to reuse footage from the original OP and ED? Lagrange, you deserve more than this. :(

After seeing it twice, still not a fan of reused footage, perhaps they can swap in new stuff once things start happening over the course of the story?

mAcOdIn

I wanna be the guy that says watch Utena second and Planetes first. Not just to be that guy either but because it's the real, correct, viewing order.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Alright, here we go.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

First impression: the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

So Utena wants to be a prince. I'm cool with that. While wandering the (humongous) school grounds after a badass dunking session, she comes across some domestic violence. Then there's some rovu retta drama, and suddenly she's dueling a ridiculously tall guy in a platform floating in the sky beneath an upside down castle inside a forbidden forest. She beats the guy and goes home, because it was just another tuesday in the life of Utena.

Oh, and apparently the guy is some kind of representative from the most pretentious student council ever.

Visually, the show seems... Well, top-notch. There were interesting shots every few seconds.

Oh, and how I missed these expressions.

Planetes 1

Diaper Boy and Diaper Girl, huh?

Fucking wow. Space in anime... The real deal.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 01
That was very nice, and I would even say it was the best first episode of a series I've watched in years. You don't usually see anime handling marriage and widowing issues at all, so for this show to even do so with a sense of grounding and respect really surprised me. The dialogue is very strong too, and while introspective, the main character's pontification didn't get annoying (I'm looking at you, Kyon). I guess what really sold it on me is how little these characters feel like anime stereotypes. It's like the writers wrote about real people having real world conversations about simple stuff.

I really like the manager. I'm not usually into short-haired girls, but her cheeriness and amicability is so contagious it's easy to fall head over heels with her.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

Visually, the show seems... Well, top-notch. There were interesting shots every few seconds.
I hope you enjoyed the stairs 'cause you will be seeing them a lot.
Oh, and how I missed these expressions.
The nineties will never come back. :(

/XX/

Give the studio to Hosoda. BAM! Problem solved.
The problem is... they are stuck. Don't admit anyone or anything (external) that isn't made in the way they have done things before, accostumed to an stale influence that hinders their own expressiveness. That is why it is better for everyone to end all this when those two decide to stop.

Anime is such a niche interest kind of medium...Isnt it impossible to base it off of other more successful models? It will only ever interest a tiny fraction of the population worldwide.
Easier communication, cheaper tools, immediate exposition to the "world"... I still think hobbyist "part-time" projects getting more complex can fill a void for the diversification necessary on this medium. Call me naive!

In the end, there are no reliably good Internet communities. It's the nature of the beast, sadly.
It's like a group suicide pact in here.

Looking at this thread again was a big mistake.
Man, hosannainexcelsis, is there a problem? Please, tell us. You have been pretty gloomy lately.

Oh yeah, London-GAF question:
black cabs are the good taxis, right?
More like the unjustifiably expensive ones.

Shinji was someone one could relate too and approached the situation as I imagine most people would. He was rather courageous in events. He was rather good. In alot of ways Shu reminded me of him, but was a bit of an improved version. I like these type of protagonists.
That is the exact response I would have liked to see in regards to Ussop earlier.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
http://gigazine.net/news/20120718-awaodori-poster-2012/

Holy shit. This is fucking awesome. Ufotable did a poster for this year's Tokushima Awa Dance Festival and it's a crossover poster featuring Fate/Zero characters on one side, and Tales Of characters on the other. FUCKING AWESOME!

URUpH.png
nBWXT.png

I need to find a high res version of new. Wallpaper GET!

Wow. Whats so terrible about it?

Well, the premise was creepy to begin with but I've found enjoyment out of shows with bad premises or bait titles like OreImo if I liked the artwork/animation or music or characters or whatever. 5 minutes is a touch of an exaggeration, it was probably closer to 7 or 8, but I knew pretty much exactly how bad this show was when the main guy first meets the OH SO CLEARLY THE CREEPY IMOUTO character. She runs out into the street talking on her phone, gets hit by a SPEEDING TRUCK, the main guy runs over to her and not only is there a censored panty-shot (really? She just got run over by a TRUCK and we're doing a panty-shot?) but then as turns out, she's completely uninjured and perfectly fine. Not even a bruise. What? HOW? I mean, I've seen some ludicrous things in anime before (like Subaru's clothes practically exploding off in the first Mayo Chiki episode) but at least that was hilariously bad. This wasn't even funny, it was just bad.

Now, if I had liked the overall artwork/animation I might have stuck with it to see if it goes anywhere, but I didn't and this show seems to be playing everything completely straight. Just not my style. I dunno, I'm usually pretty tolerant and not quick to judge with anime but when something rubs me the wrong way, it REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

That's not true. I....but.....

;_;

*curls up in a ball

*pets*

Taruranto

Alright, here we go.

b]Revolutionary Girl Utena 1[/b]

First impression: the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

So Utena wants to be a prince. I'm cool with that. While wandering the (humongous) school grounds after a badass dunking session, she comes across some domestic violence. Then there's some rovu retta drama, and suddenly she's dueling a ridiculously tall guy in a platform floating in the sky beneath an upside down castle inside a forbidden forest. She beats the guy and goes home, because it was just another tuesday in the life of Utena.

Believe me, you have seen nothing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Revolutionary Girl Utena 2

Hey, a mascot!

Zettai unmei mokushiyami mokushiroku mokushikushimoshimokukumoshimoshikushikumo!

So the water fountain/stairs/bells ringing shots were stock footage, huh? Well, alright.

There's not much to say about this episode, really. It was basically a recap of what happened in the first one. Domestic violence, stairs, Utena being awesome, guy with red hair being impressed. The good stuff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Toy Story is my favourite anime.

Also the flash kills my ability to judge whether the cakes themselves look good. Though that football cake could look much much smoother.

Ryuukan

Toy Story is my favourite anime.

Also the flash kills my ability to judge whether the cakes themselves look good. Though that football cake could look much much smoother.

They probably don't taste that great either. Western cakes done in Asian bakeries are usually 90% air.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 02
I haven't gushed any praise for the animation, but it honestly deserves it. There's a lot of detail going on around the characters. This could have worked just as easily as a live action drama, but I love the colourful personality this show has. The soundtrack is great too --low key, but just enough to set up mood.

Plot stuff:
Very refreshing to have a story that doesn't end with just the confession, but rather follows on with that. You have a nice contrast between the end of Rokka's life with her late husband and her wavering attempts to get something going on with Hazuki. Her concern with age was briefly touched upon in this episode, but I suppose it speaks a lot about her personality. She has the youthfulness of a young girl, but is heavily concerned by her widow status and relatively older age when compared to her subordinates. She's not a girl of many words, but what she does say gives her a depth not commonly found in female characters anywhere.

It feels so weird to be watching an anime about adults having adult love lifes and all that crap. Silly phantoms aside, you can't get more realistic than this.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 2

There's not much to say about this episode, really. It was basically a recap of what happened in the first one. Domestic violence, stairs, Utena being awesome, guy with red hair being impressed. The good stuff.
It's a slow paced show. Keep an eye on Anthy.
You're telling me you're not doing the dance?
fuck

nanoripe
I could have sworn that post was longer.

sonicmj1

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team 2

Now our war drama with giant robots begins in earnest.

1gqta.png

Hey, I said war drama, not Disney movie!

It really does follow along the lines of war movie cliche. Fresh faces show up to the front, and they have to prove themselves to the "veterans" who have been there three months. Even though there are giant robots and delicious Gundam sci-fi SFX, it feels like a pretty authentic war story.

Even though
Amada somehow survived his solo trek into the jungle, I like that his crazy hero-complex in episode 1 led to a little chaos and uncertainty. He's gotta learn how to work with his team. I also liked the sequence where he ambushes the lone Zaku. I guess that was his first real kill. That final flurry of bullets really seems desperate.

Joshua is awesome. Enough said.

I like this squad already. I'm glad I get to see them in action every week!

/XX/

You're better off taking a black taxi than risk never being suitable for marriage.

Or take the bus.
The good thing is that I've survived many times Madrid's Metro and Cercanías suburban fauna (like people that came from an Iberian 'cañí' version of Streets of Rage) at the strangest times and places, that gives me the strength to affront any kind of public transport system (I think).

They probably don't taste that great either. Western cakes done in Asian bakeries are usually 90% air.
But Satsuma Potato told me those types of cake are specially delicious in that country:

One Potato Two Winter Japan Trip 2011-2012
http://kurouzu.blog63.fc2.com/blog-entry-976.html

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Man all these Yuru Yuri gifs are too funny. I'll have to give season 1 another shot.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sora No Woto 3

9xrAQ.jpg

Little girls with big tanks are moe~

The killer Japanese cold strikes again! Fortunately it was really only used as a gateway into some more character development and hints at the past. Also the episode was an excuse to play Amazing Grace as much as possible, but it's a very nice tune so I'm not complaining. Rio is the most developed character so far, with all the hints at stuff surrounding her, like the trouble with whatever religious organization that was, her father, the pendant, music, etc.

8fU0m.jpg

The art is still very gorgeous

The Takemikazuchi booting up was pretty cool, can't wait to eventually see it in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom