• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Also, this made me hungry:
iyvfIl.jpg

Oh my god.. that Unagi Donburi made me soooo hungry. We made them the other night at home, threw some avocado in that shit too! :9 I'm going to little Tokyo tomorrow to have one for lunch!!

Eureka Seven AO 14 is why it's dangerous sometimes to get too hyped up for things.

See... This is in my queue - but what's going on with this show? I'm a mild mecha fan, but a sucker for good stories and good animation. I'm hearing mixed things. Some people are losing their shit, others are saying different things. I never saw the original Eureka Seven. Would you recommend AO?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh my god.. that Unagi Donburi made me soooo hungry. We made them the other night at home, threw some avocado in that shit too! :9 I'm going to little Tokyo tomorrow to have one for lunch!!
I'm jelly. :(
Why do most people think Japanese food = sushi. :(

See... This is in my queue - but what's going on with this show? I'm a mild mecha fan, but a sucker for good stories and good animation. I'm hearing mixed things. Some people are losing their shit, others are saying different things. I never saw the original Eureka Seven. Would you recommend AO?
While I don't think the original is perfect, it's infinitely better than this sequel series.

I didn't know what it was until 15 minutes ago :<
It's the best secret anime of the year. Please to be watching this anime very soon?

---

Eureka Seven AO 14 is amazing in all the right (wrong) ways. I hope it continues in this direction, because every since like episode 8, there's no real reason to even try to go back to anything resembling the first few episodes of the series.

trejo

Not even sure what kind of love that'll be anymore.

The purest kind, of course.

If you haven't seen the original then I'd recommend that you do.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
As seen in the Eureka Seven AO hybrid disc OVA preview:

KL1V5.png

Seiyuu jokes all day, every day.

Oh such trolls.

On that note!

Eureka SeveN AO 14

Yup I freaking knew it. Good thing I wrote this off canon last week cuz this just a joyride now. lololol.

Uchip

Banned
K-On Movie
+budget
+great details and backgrounds
+London wasn't too stereotypical

-I still don't like k-on
-apollons performances were much more dynamic
-they all have the exact same face ><

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm jelly. :(
Why do most people think Japanese food = sushi. :(

Tell me about it. Although I love sushi, I'd probably take a hearty bowl of salt ramen almost any day over sushi. I feel sad knowing deep down inside, there are probably people here on this forum, and all over the world who have never had a traditional Japanese ramen. Like a big ass bowl of hakata (made from pork bones), or kotteri ramen. Nmmmmm MMNNNngguiewjl and I go crazy when my wife makes tonkatsu!

While I don't think the original is perfect, it's infinitely better than this sequel series.

:/ I need something good to watch. And the problem with this is that whenever this question is asked it's always met with the response "define good".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 03

http://i.imgur.com/SSscZ.png

At this rate, I'm probably gonna be reduced to a pile of emotions by the end of this show.
You guys really should watch more jdrama (or asian angst drama in general)!

Tell me about it. Although I love sushi, I'd probably take a hearty bowl of salt ramen almost any day over sushi. I feel sad knowing deep down inside, there are probably people here on this forum, and all over the world who have never had a traditional Japanese ramen. Like a big ass bowl of hakata (made from pork bones), or kotteri ramen. Nmmmmm MMNNNngguiewjl and I go crazy when my wife makes tonkatsu!
Yeah. Toronto is alright for that stuff, but living in a small town... well, it's the type of place that will have a Chinese-Japanese combination buffet. lol

:/ I need something good to watch. And the problem with this is that whenever this question is asked it's always met with the response "define good".
Just look at the other reactions to episode 14. I suppose if you're looking for something "good", then AO fits the bill. lol

Dresden

eureka seven ao - 14

Naru really is bad.

Otherwise the hype train continues to roll on, but our load is lighter now because we've ditched kayos90, that faithless Benedict Arnold.

kayos90

eureka seven ao - 14

Naru really is bad.

Otherwise the hype train continues to roll on, but our load is lighter now because we've ditched kayos90, that faithless Benedict Arnold.

What? How so? I'm still on this train. I just refuse to believe it's canon so far cuz it's dumb bullshit.

7Th

Disagree. By that measure plot twists are never ok.

Plot twists don't break suspension of disbelief by ignoring all the previously established rules of the work. "This character that looked completely innocent was actually the main antagonist" or "the hero was actually fighting for the sake of evil" is completely different from "the resolution to this dead serious, fully grounded detective drama is that the killer was a magician that killed the victim in his dreams".

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
KEION MOVIE

I am Buchou! Yes! This is :firehawk. Excellent!

Plot twists don't break suspension of disbelief by ignoring all the previously established rules of the work. "This character that looked completely innocent was actually the main antagonist" or "the hero was actually fighting for the sake of evil" is completely different from "the resolution to this dead serious, fully grounded detective drama is that the killer was a magician that killed the victim in his dreams".
We've had this discussion before, and my position has not changed.

kayos90

Your coat is already red.

True believers believe utterly.

Sorry but I'm a true believer of E7. Not this dumb idiocy that has retconned the original series so far. Granted, they can save themselves but I don't know how they're going to do it.

Jex

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 14

I would really enjoy reading a comprehensive summary of all the events that happened in this episode and how all the story elements revealed so far interact with the overall cannon. Heck, I'd like a comprehensive summary of every episode that's aired so far as I'd really like to take all the shows storyline, world building, silly politics and crazy character development on-board in one sitting.

This was an exceedingly Un-Go episode of Ao, which is for the best really because those happen to be my favorite kinds of episodes.

In summary, this show is needlessly convoluted and needlessly stupid. I am still uncertain as to the story they're trying to tell or what this series is even about. However, I am still enjoying it but not for the reasons the creators intended.

kayos90

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 14

I would really enjoy reading a comprehensive summary of all the events that happened in this episode and how all the story elements revealed so far interact with the overall cannon.

This was an exceedingly Un-Go episode of Ao, which is for the best really because those happen to be my favorite kinds of episodes.

In summary, this show is needlessly convoluted and needlessly stupid. I am still uncertain as to the story they're trying to tell or what this series is even about.

HEY! Join the club!

Thoraxes

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 14
In summary, this show is needlessly convoluted and needlessly stupid. I am still uncertain as to the story they're trying to tell or what this series is even about. However, I am still enjoying it but not for the reasons the creators intended.
I'm pretty much in the camp where I have no clue if I even need to make those relationships yet because we don't know the why and how of anything.

Jex

When did you found it? Cuz I feel as if we may have founded it at the same time.

When the first episode aired. I believe I wrote a number of paragraphs back then and my opinion remains unchanged.

Well, that's not entirely true I suppose, the show has added about twenty different plot threads since then.

Jex

K-ON 2: Y Tu Mamá También, yo! 04

I don't know if I should call the character designer a genius or a lazy moron. My only solace is that it could be worse (I'M LOOKING AT YOU HANAIRO/ANOTHER/TARITARI).

Judging by he enduring popularity of those character designs I'd have to lean towards genius, or at least, very talented.
I thought for a bit there you were trying to give me a trick question...

I know, right? I mean, who doesn't know Sawako's name?
http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/jojo-animation/

Interesting... they're still totally silent as to who is producing this, but the Jojo Production Committee seems to comprise of at least:

- Warner Entertainment Japan: http://www.warnerbros.co.jp/
- Shueisha: http://www.shueisha.co.jp/
- Klockworx: http://www.klockworx.com/
- Medicos Entertainment: http://www.medicos-e.net/

Maybe it really is Studio 4C, since Warner also bankrolled the new Berserk films.

That's not cool, duckroll. Don't do this to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Binbougami 3

feHNDl.jpg

So they finally get the premise pilot stuff out of the way. On the one hand, I appreciate that the first episode was a troll and she doesn't learn anything from her experience with her butler, but on the other hand, as a 12-13 episode series, having a third of the episodes where the protagonist is a horrible person might not be that great an idea.

Now that it's all out of the way, I assume they'll get to helping people and she'll be less selfish... although, I also assume that the final episode will be the most epic trolls of all time. Or at least something on the scale of Gintama. I can only hope anyway, otherwise, I'll be disappointed.

Also, Dresden posted this picture earlier:
UTef9l.jpg

Which of course ties in perfectly with this image from the end:
spoiler pic from end of episode

It's obvious and hokey, but I liked it, since it was so clearly didactic and a big learning moment for the main character. I almost want to believe that it's a parody of some children's cartoon, based on how in your face it was.

I think I like this show now. Even though I can academically understand the intent of the slow start, I'm ready to just see where it goes when it actually gets into its groove. Should be a fun ride anyway.

----

Eureka AO 14 again
So I totally forgot to mention the fanservice. This episode had this shot - spoiler pic - which is a direct reference to the original episode. But it just felt so dry and lifeless in the context of what was actually happening in the episode that I didn't even care.

In the original E7, that image is iconic and is an emotional climax for two characters. Here, I'm trying not to laugh at what is going on around this fanservicey scene.

I never thought I'd be one of those "the Prequel (trilogy) is ruining the Original (trilogy)" people, but I think I'm starting to at least understand where they are coming from.

At the very least, where as someone like Geneijin raged over Aquarion Evol ending shitting over the original, as someone who knows nothing about Aquarion the episodes of Evol that I watched worked on some basic storytelling level - even the one where they
decide to bury themselves alive for some reason
- the last four or so episodes of AO doesn't even reach that level for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom