• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesnd

I just recently watched the Macross Flashback 2012, and once again realized that artwork of that time, courtesy of Haruhiko Mikimoto, just sits so well with me. The very 80s aesthetic is still as graceful and fleeting. The lighting really is something else as well. When Minmay is alone in the studio you can really feel that something has come to an end, but those emotions are swiftly rearranged into less solemn ones as her last concert starts. Yes, the songs still haven't lost their touch for me either.

I guess this kind of content feels pretty outdated for most people nowadays, but I still wish we'd get something like it again. The animation isn't purely based on delivering visceral thrills rendered through speed and flashy camera movements, but nor do I find it static. Rather it works to emphasize the beautiful artwork in itself. I don't think I've ever seen a Sci-Fi work as romantically depicted as this really. Some might find it to be sappy tripe, but I just find the class of it all astounding (I don't care what you think that says about my standards, or lack of them!).

Jex

Eureka AO 14 again
So I totally forgot to mention the fanservice. This episode had this shot - spoiler pic - which is a direct reference to the original episode. But it just felt so dry and lifeless in the context of what was actually happening in the episode that I didn't even care.

In the original E7, that image is iconic and is an emotional climax for two characters. Here, I'm trying not to laugh at what is going on around this fanservicey scene.

Of course, funnily enough, in Eureka Seven that shot was a direct reference to an identical shot in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. So it was already fan-service back then. Now they've just gone deeper.

Dresden

Everything makes perfect sense now.

ErT3Y.jpg

s2xK0.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of course, funnily enough, in Eureka Seven that shot was a direct reference to an identical shot in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. So it was already fan-service back then. Now they've just gone deeper.
Hah, damn. Well, there you go. Even without understanding the reference in the original E7, the scene still worked on its own as... well, a piece of storytelling.

In AO, it's just a series of events tied together.

are those 2 guys?
No, it's another
Char/Subaru

It's actually why the "gay" stuff comes up in the other pic I posted.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Surely you jest. There was no mecha anime before Evangelion. How could E7 reference something that doesn't exist?

Hah, damn. Well, there you go. Even without understanding the reference in the original E7, the scene still worked on its own as... well, a piece of storytelling.

In AO, it's just a series of events tied together.

No, it's another
Char/Subaru

It's actually why the "gay" stuff comes up in the other pic I posted.

image.php

b-but, I still won't watch it! :3

Jex

Jex

[Hyouka] -13

I can't believe that this show hasn't immediately become boring again. I don't necessarily want to raise my hopes prematurely by thinking that the rest of the show might be like this but the signs are certainly more positive than they were.

As usual the direction for this show is excellent. I could pick on dozens of great shots to highlight but there's no point because it's all so good.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's funny how 10-15 years ago, I would have wanted everyone to communicate strictly through memes and nerd/Star Trek references. Now it's my idea of hell on Earth.
I wish everyone used words like uguu and moé in everyday conversation. Maybe I could even discuss waifus with 3d girls!

Jex

So I was just re-watching [Fate/Zero] - 11 and I noticed that Dai Fukuyama, the director and storyboarder of the episode, really tried his best to ensure that the conversations that takes up the majority of this episode wasn't boring.

I mean, the whole set-up of the episode is kind of problematic if your aim is to keep viewers engaged. Most of the episode is devoted to a lengthy conversation between three people who don't move around very much. If this was directed poorly we'd see a lot of identical shot reverse shots. Thankfully, however, they did not do it that way and instead they tried to put the camera in as many possible locations to avoid shot-repetition. Of course, there's a limit to what you can do with that but they did their best.

FZTalk1.jpg
FZTalk2.jpg
FZTalk3.jpg

FZTalk4.jpg
FZTalk5.jpg
FZTalk6.jpg

FZTalk7.jpg
FZTalk8.jpg
FZTalk9.jpg

FZTalk10.jpg
FZTalk11.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
The problem with AO it seems is that the writers wrote this ridiculously complex story and forgot that they have to tell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom