• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knocking out the couple remaining 2011 anime I was curious about...

Kimi to Boku S1 1

I had heard from other people that this was boring, but I didn't expect it to be this poorly directed or confusingly edited. It does about a good job at introducing the characters and selling their relationships as the first episode of Natsuiro Kiseki did - which is to say, it didn't do its job at all. Cherry blossoms and random cats will not win me over by themselves.

The girlish haircut of the one guy is faintly disturbing:

(As a side note, while I was looking up this character's VA because I thought I recognized him, I found that he not only played Haru in Tsuritama but also Tsubaki in MGX. I can hear the similarities now that I think about it, but I wouldn't have guessed that those two roles shared the same actor.)

Another thing I didn't expect, this time on the positive side, is an above-average, mildly stylish OP featuring my beloved match-on transitions. It impressed me enough to look up the guy who did it - Yoshitaka Koyama. He doesn't have a particularly impressive resume, but he did work on some of the best episodes in the Milky Holmes franchise, so he certainly has some skill. While I will not be watching any more of this, the OP made this one episode worth it.

But the picture you have is of Shun...Haru's VA is Chizuru in Kimi to Boku.

Go_Ly_Dow

the following air today:

1 Rinne no Lagrange Season 2 Summer 12 Tokyo MX XEBEC Sunday 10:00PM 2012-07-01 2h 16m
2 Tari Tari Summer 12 TV Kanagawa P.A. Works Sunday 10:30PM 2012-07-01 2h 46m
3 Arcana Famiglia -La storia della Aracana Famiglia- Summer 12 TV Kanagawa J.C.Staff Sunday 11:30PM 2012-07-01 3h 46m
4 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Summer 12 TV Kanagawa AIC ASTA Monday 12:00AM 2012-07-02 4h 16m
5 Chitose Get You!! Summer 12 AT-X Silver Link Monday 12:56AM 2012-07-02 5h 12m
6 Total Eclipse Summer 12 TV Tokyo ixtl Monday 1:35AM 2012-07-02 5h 51m

wonzo

Banned
Bodacious Space Bros 14

spacebros14.jpg

I can't say I'm a fan of the new OP outside of the dance sequence but at least the ED's really good!

I suppose if you consider the lyrics to be some kind of alien language, the actual music in the song is fine?
it depends on how deaf you are i guess

Which brings up a point on why do JP composers/artist have to incorporated 'Engrish' in their song even if they sound senseless and gibberish? Is there some of appeal to it? A fad? A notion that English words fit the tune instead of Japanese?
because it's "cool"

the following air today:
1 Rinne no Lagrange Season 2 Summer 12 Tokyo MX XEBEC Sunday 10:00PM 2012-07-01 2h 16m
2 Tari Tari Summer 12 TV Kanagawa P.A. Works Sunday 10:30PM 2012-07-01 2h 46m

3 Arcana Famiglia -La storia della Aracana Famiglia- Summer 12 TV Kanagawa J.C.Staff Sunday 11:30PM 2012-07-01 3h 46m
4 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Summer 12 TV Kanagawa AIC ASTA Monday 12:00AM 2012-07-02 4h 16m
5 Chitose Get You!! Summer 12 AT-X Silver Link Monday 12:56AM 2012-07-02 5h 12m

6 Total Eclipse Summer 12 TV Tokyo ixtl Monday 1:35AM 2012-07-02 5h 51m
fabulous~

Articalys

On the absolute eve of the Summer season, here's a reminder of which shows don't have a simulcast as of now (bear in mind Viz may pick something up at their panel later today, and CR still has at least one more show up their sleeve):

- Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi
- Moyashimon Returns
- Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
- Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
- Joshiraku
- Dog Days'

sonicmj1

Revolutionary Girl Utena 22-23

I got my answers.

h4aZx.jpg

The path I must take is not prepared for me.

I'm glad to see that the Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World parallels have a lot more meaning than I thought, considering how both deal with the theme of eternity.

I could use some clarification on the relationship between Mikage and Mamiya.
I get that Mikage shifted the blame for the fire from himself to Mamiya (who, I guess, died as part of the whole sacrifice to open the way), but was he romantically special to Mikage? Or was he just emblematic of the time when the research was still going on, when Tokiko was still around?

Tsuwabuki is included as part of a group indicated by "kanojo-tachi", but I'm pretty sure he's not a girl.

I guess the end is about to begin. And it looks like
Akio
will be the focus. Can't wait to swallow hot coals watch another Nanami episode first!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 88

It looks like this is the real final episode, and 89 is just recap/preview for S, so I'll give my final thoughts on the season here.

Considering that the very first arc of R needed to be
a repair arc, it's not too surprising that it was rather lacklustre. I wanted to like Seijiro and An, and for the most part they were enjoyable, "nonserious" villains. Of course, the ending for their arc was kind of lame, but that's what you get with a reset arc, I guess. The middle of the series was reasonably good, a few poor episodes popped up here and there, like the Plesio episode and the Cakeshop episode, but I did like the subplot with the 4 sisters. The final arc, there was far too much

WISEMAN: No one loves you!

CHIBIUSA: I'll be bad now!

USAGI: Everyone loves you!

CHIBIUSA I'll be good now!

WISEMAN: No one loves you!

CHIBIUSA: I'll be bad now!

USAGI: Everyone loves you!

CHIBIUSA I'll be good now!

That went on for far too long. Add to that the fact that everyone seemed quite willing to abandon their friends/family just because Wiseman would say one line, and the final arc wasn't as good as it could have been. Usagi, at least, stood out, simply because she constantly rejected all the attempts to brainwash her. The final episode helped bring the quality of the final arc up a bit, with Chibiusa finally finally finally accepting the Sailors as her friends, Usagi as her mother, and taking on her responsibilities. And she looked cute in her princess dress. ^^

Things I want more of in Sailor Moon S:

Sailor Pluto! She was cool, and it must be lonely for her, locked away in the midst of space-time. :(

Chibiusa! Her reluctance to accept the Sailors dragged on far too long, but I liked her spunky personality.

Things I don't want:

Villains that are introduced 5 episodes before the series ends. Seriously. Stop doing this for long running series, anime. :( It makes sense when it's a 12 episode series or so, but it doesn't work for a long running series.

Anyway, on to Sailor Moon S!

Articalys

So yeah... they didn't actually air the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange season 2 today. It was a recap episode of the first season's events.

Still handy to have, but slightly disappointing.

LFF

Neo Member
Why? Is this another anime that's going to set me up for disappointment or does it end in a more satisfying conclusion?

The first season had a pretty good conclusion if i recall correctly. I haven't watched the second season so I can't comment on that.

Not sure how it compares to Dusk Maiden either, I'm still catching up on it.

Jex

So yeah... they didn't actually air the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange season 2 today. It was a recap episode of the first season's events.

Well, that's certainly the worst way to begin any season. It's not like there's that much story to recap anyway.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

So... Was it four-minutes long, or something like that?

Jex

[Gunslinger Girl] - 8

This show is certainly the greatest deconstruction of 'protecting cute little girls' this side of Wasurenagumo. I would actually have been happy if the whole episode had been nothing but handlers watching from behind a two-way mirror as their charges react to the Doctors interview questions. I really have to hand it to the script because it does a great job of selling the characters of these girls through some extremely limited character interactions. Madhouse really went above and beyond with nearly every aspect of this series, from what I understand it's one of those rare cases where the adaptation is better than the original manga.

The same cannot be said of Studio Artland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPt60GOa-IU

Hunter x Hunter 37
tumblr_m6gxccvTa91qlp4x9o1_r1_500.gif

Excellent episode when focused on Killua and Gon doing stuff, playing around, and just chatting. Their friendship chat was really touching, and Killua feeling kind of embarrassed and turning away.

Other stuff was a bit dull, but Id rather want to know way more about the nen markings on the steel.

Ging is probably gonna be some epic hunter I bet.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sentai continues its weekend licensing storm by acquiring Mayo Chiki.

*reads link*

*subtitiled DVD*

*sigh* Looks like another OreImo situation for me. Once again, no Blu Ray = No Buy.

Nichijou last 3 or 4 episodes -- I'd watched this through to ep. 22 or 23 or so, back when it aired, but didn't quite finish it, mostly because I was really liking it and didn't really want it to end yet. Well, I finally made myself finish it, and yes, it was well worth it. Sure, there wasn't really an ending, but there never was any character development anyway, so it wouldn't really fit. I think the series was great just as it was. These episodes were packed full of funny skits as always; Nichijou is certainly the best pure comedy anime series of recent years.

I agree, Nichijou regularly had be laughing at least once each episode, and that counts for a lot in my book. Especially because it wasn't reliant on say, otaku in-jokes, to be funny. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom