• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Think im going to commit myself to watching Evangelion and K-On today.

Me too! Well, if you substitute Evangelion for Fujiko and Kids on the Slope, so not at all the same!

The only thing that stops me approaching a show like Evangelion is the reverence it gets, I just can't watch it with a clear perspective.

I will definitely be catching up on stuff soon, especially now that the Euro's is finally at an end.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So yeah... they didn't actually air the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange season 2 today. It was a recap episode of the first season's events.

Still handy to have, but slightly disappointing.

That's some shit.

At least Kamogawa Days should be out soon, I guess.

/XX/

I can't stop laughing at that picture of Hermes' face in the sun. :(
Reminds me of a certain image of Carl Sagan, one that some user of this forums had as an avatar.

I support the Nastu no Arashi advertising! Great show with classy Shaft openings.
That nostalgia craze seemed to hit really hard the staff:

在宅アニメ評論家 夏のあらし! #07 OP差分検証&EDジャケットサイコロまとめ
http://teleani.blog62.fc2.com/blog-entry-440.html

夏のあらし! OP元ネタレコードジャケット比較完全版
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_jSeL8XHM

SHAFT knew their strength resides on the first episode before completely deflating as they advance on a series, took advantage of that to tackle that later funny mini-story from the graphic novel as an 'in medias res' introduction, and then linked it to a similar final episode. That was pretty nice of them!

And all this advertising you have done makes me think... Dresden, were you one of those who were bribed by KING RECORDS?

Dear lord what in the name of El Cantare is that?
Taku "soundtrack-maker" Iwasaki stylin' everyone thanks to his sheer talent...

Best OST of the season. Lupin and KotS should just bow down.
Not really, but Jormungand actually does have some good music.
At least you didn't say tsu ri ta ma!

Evangelion 3.0 now has an exact theatrical release date: November 17, 2012.
And EVA-EXTRA returns! Juicy information regularly available until the premiere date.

Opening on 208 screens nationwide eh?
Any mention of a simultaneous international release?

duckroll

Any mention of a simultaneous international release?

4weJ3.gif

ZIdtd.gif

m9VKI.gif

-----

I'm sure FUNi will release it by 2014! :D

duckroll

Apparently at a talk event for Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Yuichi Nakamura said that these is 11 episodes long. Sounds like noitaminA is going back to the 11 ep format this season in that case, and Moyashimon Returns should be 11 episodes too. Too bad. :(

Jex

Opening on 208 screens nationwide eh?

1.0 = 80+
2.0 = 120+
3.0 = 200+

I wonder if there'll be a huge increase in box office takings too...

Well considering how successful the movies have been so far that makes perfect sense.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Apparently at a talk event for Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Yuichi Nakamura said that these is 11 episodes long. Sounds like noitaminA is going back to the 11 ep format this season in that case, and Moyashimon Returns should be 11 episodes too. Too bad. :(

According to some chartz I just made, at this rate if the pattern continues, in 11 cours noitaminA shows will be zero episodes long. It's over guys :(

Upotte! - 01

http://i.imgur.com/ZVjKn.png

What in the world am I watching?

Some really shameless bait-and-switch!

duckroll

Man, don't be cruel with me. With international I was referring to this I mentioned before:

NeoGAF - View Single Post - Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35788036&postcount=9960

I dunno, I seriously don't think anyone should expect 3.0 outside of Japan this year anywhere. They're probably going to be working on the movie all the way until the last moment (if it doesn't get delayed). Plus, with how busy the holiday season is going to be in terms of Hollywood films, I don't think it's a good idea to open it anywhere else at the time either. Eva is huge in Japan, but everywhere else, it's just a huge anime.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand 8

The chronicles of Country A, Country B, and... The USA.

I'm not gonna lie: I turn off my brain completely when they start going on about numbers, corporations, and whatever. It's not like it matters, in the end.

/XX/

I dunno, I seriously don't think anyone should expect 3.0 outside of Japan this year anywhere. They're probably going to be working on the movie all the way until the last moment (if it doesn't get delayed). Plus, with how busy the holiday season is going to be in terms of Hollywood films, I don't think it's a good idea to open it anywhere else at the time either. Eva is huge in Japan, but everywhere else, it's just a huge anime.
I see... thanks for your answer!

Space Pirates FIN

Was a surprisingly fun and intense fight. Love how important electronic warfare is in this universe. it is quite plausible too.

Also:

ilOhSxwiaCAf7.gif

motherfucking space pirate ninja action, motherfucker.

Extremely solid season imo. Hit all the right notes for me. Strategic space/naval combat, cute girls, yuri, lolis, SoL, cute, space.

Wish the faces weren't derp so often, and the loli princesses could use a bit more... character, besides existing just to be loli princesses.

9/10

Malajax

La storia Della Arcana Famiglia

I don't know what to think of this anime. I'm a sucker for shonen tournament action, but it's also a... Reverse harem? Maybe I could forgive it if it was crazy action all the time, but the action present wasn't all that good. Even then, the next episode is about
saving a cat?! What does this have to do with anything?
. I swear I've seen this before.

I think I'll bail out now. Total Eclipse looks to be the only other interesting show this season (on crunchyroll at least)

Area no Kishi 25
tumblr_m6hmocoAK91qbxqfpo1_500.png

Unbelievable
Even with Suguru mode Kakeru they lost, what type of anime is this? That was just plain awful. I mean they had everything going for them and even the super dramatic Kakeruo falls on the field to the hospital scene (which I thought he was having a heart attack or something), and they still lost!? I did not sign up for this, wow.

I would have rearranged a certain event in the episode though rather drammatic and intense. They could have honestly just ended it here
though I guess 25 more episodes for the Winter Championship, they better win this time!

Beach Soccer was awesome as usual.

I finished Canaan. The first half of the show was very enjoyable before it turned into something something.
A true P.A. Works anime.

I think I will watch a Shaft anime now. Arakawa, Soredemo or something else.

duckroll

I finished Canaan. The first half of the show was very enjoyable before it turned into something something.
A true P.A. Works anime.

I think I will watch a Shaft anime now. Arakawa, Soredemo or something else.

Even Ando-sama couldn't save Canaan from being Type-Moon'd, Okada'd, and PA-Works'd. :(

Jex

Randomly decided to give this and Rinne no Lagrange a shot.

Jiisuri is best gun/girl.

Upottte!! - 02

Jiisuri is so shameless!

Obviously not the image I wanted to use... but.. y'know..

Guns, girls, they are all the same.

qcf x2

Space Pirates FIN

Was a surprisingly fun and intense fight. Love how important electronic warfare is in this universe. it is quite plausible too.

Also:

ilOhSxwiaCAf7.gif

motherfucking space pirate ninja action, motherfucker.

Extremely solid season imo. Hit all the right notes for me. Strategic space/naval combat, cute girls, yuri, lolis, SoL, cute, space.

Wish the faces weren't derp so often, and the loli princesses could use a bit more... character, besides existing just to be loli princesses.

9/10

I watched the first six (?) episodes and thought it was a snore fest with a historically excellent intro. Cyber hacking, giggling, more cyber hacking...the best part of those episodes was the bar scene where black haired girl gets serious about her parfait.

Gonna check out Tsuritama now, but I must admit none of the summer shows look promising to me. :-\

Ultimadrago

Nichijou last 3 or 4 episodes -- I'd watched this through to ep. 22 or 23 or so, back when it aired, but didn't quite finish it, mostly because I was really liking it and didn't really want it to end yet. Well, I finally made myself finish it, and yes, it was well worth it. Sure, there wasn't really an ending, but there never was any character development anyway, so it wouldn't really fit. I think the series was great just as it was. These episodes were packed full of funny skits as always; Nichijou is certainly the best pure comedy anime series of recent years.

Also, poor cat... either way, under either master, he suffers. I guess he chooses the path of least resistance and goes back with Nano and the Professor. And really, despite what he says, they probably are the less bad of the two choices... his past existence as the science teacher's pet looked quite unpleasant. She just didn't know what she was doing, even if she cared. Sure, the Professor and Nano don't either, but at least the Professor gave him that scarf that allows him to talk... that's kind of handy. :)

Also, one of the last Go-Soccer skits, where the guy
says how he came early on his Blackbird super-fast spy jet
was pretty funny stuff. I mean, we knew he was rich, but he has one of THOSE? :lol

I love my Nichijou brethren.

Also on Sakamoto
yeah, Nano and Professor is his best bet. Nakamura is a being that needs..."space" from other living beings. She's definitely not suitable to be a pet owner! She's far too determined on self-fulfilling goals to properly maintain an animal...than again Hakase might be too (but she has Nano!)

71-year old director Gisaburo Sugii has had a long career in the anime industry, spanning from the original 1963 Astro Boy TV series to this month's The Life of Gusko Budori film. Now there will be a documentary to chronicle that career. Looks interesting.
Even though the documentary looks rather cheap, the fact that they're doing one at all is refreshing. Otsuka and Miyazaki have had far more influence on the anime industry than Sugii alone. But Sugii's still one of the most notable Mushi Pro alumni, and he's made some great stuff.

Jex

Even though the documentary looks rather cheap, the fact that they're doing one at all is refreshing. Otsuka and Miyazaki have had far more influence on the anime industry than Sugii alone. But Sugii's still one of the most notable Mushi Pro alumni, and he's made some great stuff.

I can't remember a time when this hasn't been the case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nichijou last 3 or 4 episodes

Also, poor cat... either way, under either master, he suffers. I guess he chooses the path of least resistance and goes back with Nano and the Professor. And really, despite what he says, they probably are the less bad of the two choices... his past existence as the science teacher's pet looked quite unpleasant. She just didn't know what she was doing, even if she cared. Sure, the Professor and Nano don't either, but at least the Professor gave him that scarf that allows him to talk... that's kind of handy. :)

Interestingly, she appears in episode 3 briefly which is well before she is introduced. This would be of course her returning home to find Sakamoto gone. This is also the spot Sakamoto was before he was taken in so she just missed him.

survivor

Banned
Arcana Famiglia 1

irNdc.jpg

The mom is way hotter than Felicita, they should be fighting for her instead

A decent first episode. The Arcana power system is very interesting and from what little powers we have seen, it looks like it's not special attack spam garbage like Saint Seiya so maybe this will have cool fights. Oh I did laugh at how some of the characters just randomly throw explanations for no reason.

Boys ranking time

Luca
Jolly
Dante
Pace
Debito
Nova
Liberta

Jex

Tsruitama – Finale

As most of you are already aware, Kenji Nakamura’s latest work, Tsuritama finished on a high-note earlier this week. I had hoped that the ending would be as satisfying as everything that had come before but I wasn’t certain that it would deliver considering how frequently stories seem to fall apart at the last hurdle. Thankfully that did not happen here.

TsuritamaEnd1.jpg

(I chose this image because how often, really, do you get to see a duck fall on its ass? In actuality I could have picked any of a range of Tapoica-themed screenshots from this episode because the animators clearly enjoyed drawing her doing funny things. This just happens to be one of the few that other people haven’t used already.)

There was always a danger that this show could end very badly. I mean, it’s a show about fishing, how can it have a dramatic climax? How do you execute that in a way that isn’t completely ridiculous? The series actually approaches these problems in a number of ways, but largely it all boiled down to heroes having to deal with a serious thread under a very tight time limit. This, in itself was a clever move because one of the most common associations that fishing has in popular culture is that it’s “slow and dull” so putting our heroes in a situation where they had to act quickly galvanized them to action. This worked about as well you’d imagine and they did well to continually throw obstacles in the path of our heroes (damaged lures, literal obstacles, harsh weather etc).

In terms of the inherent ridiculousness of fishing up an alien – the show actually talked that issue head on. By which I mean to say, in the universe of Tsuritama there’s an alien investigation unit called Duck and they all wear Turbans and comically oversized duck uniforms. The show embraced the silliness of it’s core concept but it was never tonally confused. When it wanted to be light hearted and comical, it was. When it needed to be tense and dramatic, it was. If the show hadn’t got such a good handle on portraying the right mood all the dramatic tension in the finale would have been lost.

Still, having a big set-piece finale doesn’t mean anything if you don’t care about the characters involved. As anyone who has watched the series up till now will know, character development has been one of the most remarkable aspects of the series. It really feels like Yuki has changed and grew over the course of the series so it’s fitting that the climax of his character arc occurs at the climax to the show itself. This stops the finale from being ‘mindless action’ and it gives the scenes a great amount of weight and heart.

This is demonstrated directly through the way that the camera frames Yuki. I mean, just look at these shots:

TsuritamaEnd2.jpg
TsuritamaEnd7.jpg

TsuritamaEnd4.jpg
TsuritamaEnd6.jpg

His presence stands out in every shot, all eyes are on him and he dominates the frame, usually by being right in the middle. His determination and belief are really on display and here. In that finale image see Yuki shot from a low-angle, just to demonstrate his power over the scene as a whole.

Just in case you don’t buy this line of reasoning, lets see how Yuki used to look:

EpisodeEarly1.jpg
EpisodeEarly2.jpg

EpisodeEarly3.jpg
EpisodeEarly4.jpg

As you can see, he’s really hugging the edge of the frame in a number of these shots, trying not to get noticed or stand out. He’s also being captured in long-shot, distancing himself from the audience as well as his fellow classmates. His isolation and social anxiety is clearly on display. Of course, the expressions that he wears and the way that he holds himself has changed as well, you don’t see him slouching or slumping his shoulders. They really did a good job portraying his transformation.

TsuritamaEnd8.jpg

For an eleven episode series Tsuritama did a remarkably good job in establishing not only a core central cast but a number of quirky and loveable side-characters who helped flesh out the world. Even characters that barely had any screen time, like the local Duck commander, got their own mini-character arcs. This finale remembered everyone and served them all very well in terms of showing us ‘what happened to them afterwards’. It’s not a particularly hard thing for the creators to do but the fact that they devoted time to it in the last episode demonstrates that these side-characters weren’t simply addendums to main cast, they all had lives and dreams and pursuits unrelated to our main heroes. These little touches really help to sell the show and it’s world.

Animation wise, the episode didn’t veer too heavily into extremely stylised character movement beyond the movement of the ocean waves. However, the short bursts that were on display did an excellent job in conveying speed and movement.

TsuritamaEnd10.jpg
TsuritamaEnd11.jpg

If I had to make any complaints, and this is really nitpicky stuff, I am not a big fan of the painting over photos approach to background work. It’s less noticeable than in Trapeze but I still don’t like it. Also, some of those waves looked very odd and unconvincing but I really don’t care because how satisfying the episode was in general.

TsuritamaEnd3.jpg
TsuritamaEnd9.jpg

So, in summary: a great final episode to a great show. I can happily recommend this series to just about any curious anime viewer as one of the best shows of 2012.

TsuritamaEnd12.jpg

Narag

Oreimo 12

Unsung hero in this show is the mother eager to embarrass family members. 3-D Custom Imouto sounds a fairly innocuous game title.

I'll finish the true route later but I'll give some brief thoughts on the tv series proper. I started this thinking it was going to be pretty bad given reactions I've seen here and there. Curiosity got the better of me but I was treated to a hilarious surprise. I really liked enjoyed the cast and their antics no matter how out there they ended up. I can fully empathize with folk that didn't like it due to having crazy little sisters of their own so I've little doubt I'd be of a similar opinion if I did, but seeing as I didn't, this shit was great. Bring on season 2!

In closing, Kirino > Kuroneko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom