• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys this vid is NOT SAFE FOR YOUR EARS

Dog days New(??) PV.

Still waiting for the first new episode ..
NANO JA !!
Hey, at least they're getting her voice right... I mean, what would be a chipmunk character be without an Alvin-style voice. I mean, it's annoying, but that style is supposed to be.

Half way through Angel Beats (I'm watching like one episode every other night at this rate..) I see nothing wrong with this show.. Actually enjoying it.
There's a reason why it finished very high in the GAF "best anime of the year" thread, and in plenty of other places -- the series is very highly regarded pretty much everywhere that isn't animegaf. And yeah, it's a very good series for sure; one of the best shows of 2010, in my opinion.

Sentai continues its weekend licensing storm by acquiring Mayo Chiki.
What that show really needs is another season, though I doubt even that would give it an actual ending... it was alright in its mediocrity, though, overall.

Huh, it is kind of odd that it happened now.

No doubt they saw how AKB0048 was taking Earthstar by storm and wanted to get in on thie idol/mecha revival. Striking while the iron is hot and all that.
Heh... could be, or rather it could be that AKB0048 inspired them to pick this one up, or something. AKB0048 definitely made me think somewhat of Xenoglossia. AKB0048 is the better series for sure, but I mostly liked the half of Xenoglossia that I watched. It's okay.

Fate/Stay Night TV Reproduction 1

So what happens when you cram 12 episodes of a tv series and jam it into an hour? Usually a mess but I was surprised here. The harem antics are removed, scenes are trimmed down to what's essential rather than maintaining the unnecessary bloat found in the tv series, and the story comes across as more focused on Shirou, Saber, Rin, and the Grail War. The final product is very action oriented and, consequently, very entertaining that picks a great place to end.

There's some issues with editing as the pacing feels off and there's a few instances of "It's evening? It was just morning." but more often than not, it seemed like things worked out better.
Cutting out Shirou vs Rin entirely was great and the Rider vs Shirou encounter being reduced to something so brief made so much more sense rather than having am inexperienced master holding his own against a Servant via grit.
The more action oriented scenes were trimmed too so they don't feel overlong or overwrought, and more importantly, the ugly elements are gone.

Characters are introduced at a bare minimum and the important events of the story shape their characterization rather than banal chitchat sitting around the dinner table. Saber comes across better, even rebellious, as it feels like a butting of heads with her beliefs vs Shirou's while kitchen Saber was eliminated entirely. Hell, they actually feel like partners for the most part which was lacking from other adaptations.
Sure, Shirou's there to catch her after Assassin but it had this ethereal fairy tale feel rather than Shirou being Shirou.
Even Saber running like a dork was pulled! Yes!

Illllya.

For you TYPE-MOON fans out there, is there an in-universe reason her eye color shifts red? I meant to ask that while watching the tv series.

We also get a classy remake of the original OP out of this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7n2IDDx_Q

I fully expect the second half to be the trainwreck I anticipated the first half to be. We'll see!
Saber-in-the-kitchen was entirely cut out? Sounds like a major improvement indeed!

What we really need is more seasons of the show, but a movie's great too.

burp

Their seifuku basically have overflow sacks for their titties sewn in. Chet Approved™
I've read a couple of chapters of the manga version, and it seemed extremely mediocre. Doubt I'll watch.

On the other hand, don't doubt Campione!.

Looks like two battle harems with terrible CG magic circles will be duking it out in a furious race to the bottom this season.
Based just on the trailers, this one definitely looks like the better of the two.

Yeah, that doesn't look too great.

And the director who brought you Love Doll and Samurai Harem. Quality all around.
... Is Samurai Harem an actual show, or do you mean something else?

Wish Upon the Pleiades 1-4

Who'd a thunk that a collection of magical girl shorts bankrolled by Subaru would've turned out to be the most entertaining work Gainax has released since TTGL?!
Yeah, that was good. I wish there was more of it, the four episodes combine to be about one episode long. It deserves more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ok guys this vid is NOT SAFE FOR YOUR EARS

Dog days New(??) PV.

Still waiting for the first new episode ..
NANO JA !!

c1vYA.jpg

I think there's potential in the manga, but it depends how far Mizushima is willing to let himself go with the adaptation. I do have a feeling it'd work better as 3-minute shorts.

Yeah, I do wonder why it's not going to be like a 5 minute anime. Those that are gag based works well.

Is there enough manga material to last one cour?

The Sacred Blacksmith 3

Cute medieval girls doing cute medieval girl things, and poor Luke had to fetch the tea himself for once. Then weird worm infested prisoners attacked the city. Sometimes you kinda forget this is one show until they interact with each other. The attack on the city isn't resolved yet, so the next episode should see more fighting.
Yeah, in any version of this franchise, there's definitely some whiplash between the comedy parts and the drama parts. Because there definitely is a serious drama side to Sacred Blacksmith... but it's easy to forget it at times, beneath the stupidity, comedy, and sexism.

The Sacred Blacksmith 4

I thought the problem with worm infested ugly guys wasn't resolved, but I guess it was. But I was right about there being more fighting in this episode. While trying to lure out the bad guy, that ugly old guy from the first episode comes back and gets turned into Cinder. Being made of basically lava, all hope seemed lost for our heroine, but never fear, as our resident man with the obviously superior katana shows up to bail her out. But what's this? She actually manages to do something and save the day? Crazy! It was a fairly good episode.
Yeah, from this point on, she'll be just semi-competent enough to occasionally actually do something, while still needing to be regularly rescued by Luke of course. Still, it is an improvement (and yes, she was more like this from the beginning in the manga version).

The Sacred Blacksmith 5

Nothing happens. Well Lisa gets a sluttier outfit and Luke continues to do what he does best. They also tried to give an explanation to all the devils and stuff, but it all kinda went over my head. And the last scene was really touching with Luke actually being nice, and to a girl at that.
Was this the episode that started to explain why Luke acts why he does?

I'm not even sure that's a valid dual-class option.
She's a fantasy-land girl, of course it is. Or do you mean that anime fantasy maids are more likely to be ninjas than knights? But hey, you never know.

I'm sure Luke would rather her to be the latter than the former.
No question about that.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 01

Sorry, too late for me dear.
Fun first episode I would say. Pretty much one silly joke after another, but it's fun, dirty and amusing at the same time.
Hey, everyone else in the series who knows the kinds of jokes she likes to make either also makes those kinds of jokes themselves (read: everyone except for pure judo club girl), or is the MC. Somehow no one else knows, as unlikely as that seems. Either that, or no one cares...

Oh right, almost forgot to mention

CxGY0.jpg

What the hell is this? Does this outfit actually exist and if so, why?
it's a dress with a thing above it. Is it really that odd?

Everyone wants a tag until they actually get one.
That's true. I had a tag for a little while, but I hated it and complained about it enough, and someone removed it, thankfully. At GAF, no tag is probably better than having one...

Dresden

Yeah, I do wonder why it's not going to be like a 5 minute anime. Those that are gag based works well.

Is there enough manga material to last one cour?
There's like three volumes of it, so maybe.
I think there's potential in the manga, but it depends how far Mizushima is willing to let himself go with the adaptation. I do have a feeling it'd work better as 3-minute shorts.
Yeah, just worried it'll be... not funny. Hopefully Mizushima can pull it off.
Vote stuffing is always pathetic. At least Kuroyuki Hime wins, must be that dere twin ponytail expression.

no nose moe.

Narag

Hermes Winds of Love

Beautiful animated film about the true story of Hermes. Probably my favorite of the Happy Science films for its wonderful first part. Shortly after his history is established though, Hermes starts hallucinating and experiences a Disney style musical number. Movie sort of lost me there until he powered the fuck up, summoned his armor, and ventured into HELL.

Soma

Trapeze Episode 02

Oh man.

That was brilliant. Much better than the first episode, in my opinion.

This episode was amazingly uncomfortable and hysterical at the same time. I think I've gotten acclimated enough to the strange nature of the show to enjoy it on a better level by now. The subject matter and the parallels between the characters physical behavior and his mental/emotional behavior was so well executed. I literally had to go "fuck yeah!" at that end scene. Great stuff, I'm really enjoying this now.

Dresden

eureka seven AO - 10

I guess they at least got the 'governor of arizona is a scumbag' thing right.

Just feels like this show could be so much better if it wasn't so... on the nose. It still does enough things well (and the characters are still likable) that I'm enjoying it, but I wish the writing wasn't so problematic at times.

Shit-blowing-up is still good.

1XGsSl.jpg

I mean, that entire thing, man.

That's when I just enjoyed it.

Ultimadrago

Hermes: Winds of Love

mwuRQ.png

One half standard love story.

One half unadulterated Happy Science.

The film was actually pretty well animated, with some great backgrounds and environments included. The first half was actually largely normal and that disappointed me. This is followed by an ounce of "enlightenment" period for Hermes which was probably the most flat part of the work. However, some baby steps and a moon leap later brings the movie back to full on Happy Science with a neat "Under the Sea" display (with a not-so-neat song to go with it) before the final act into "Hell" which was all quite entertaining.

At first I wasn't sure, but now I am positive that this was a great finale to my run with the Happy Science films.

My body, mind and soul is definitely prepared for The Mystical Laws when it is available.

Knocking out the couple remaining 2011 anime I was curious about...

Kimi to Boku S1 1

I had heard from other people that this was boring, but I didn't expect it to be this poorly directed or confusingly edited. It does about a good job at introducing the characters and selling their relationships as the first episode of Natsuiro Kiseki did - which is to say, it didn't do its job at all. Cherry blossoms and random cats will not win me over by themselves.

The girlish haircut of the one guy is faintly disturbing:

(As a side note, while I was looking up this character's VA because I thought I recognized him, I found that he not only played Haru in Tsuritama but also Tsubaki in MGX. I can hear the similarities now that I think about it, but I wouldn't have guessed that those two roles shared the same actor.)

Another thing I didn't expect, this time on the positive side, is an above-average, mildly stylish OP featuring my beloved match-on transitions. It impressed me enough to look up the guy who did it - Yoshitaka Koyama. He doesn't have a particularly impressive resume, but he did work on some of the best episodes in the Milky Holmes franchise, so he certainly has some skill. While I will not be watching any more of this, the OP made this one episode worth it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Only thing I think that can come close is resurrected Jesus basking in El Cantare's light.

That one had me crying for minutes straight too. It's a close contest.

A potential third might be the true Buddha standing atop the elephant while surrounded by golden angels at the end of Buddha Saitan.

1stStrike

Banned
That ending was super disappointing. Let's go for the build up.

First, we get
her memories. For some odd reason these old dudes name some random kid as the one that will determine their human sacrifice. There's no way said kid would ever be able to make a proper decision on that; hell, it's something that the majority of adults wouldn't be able to do. So, her only purpose in the story is to just freak out and call Yuuko's name so Yuuko gets sacrificed. And it wasn't even a sacrifice - it was just them tossing her down some fucking stairs.

Bleh.

So, now we get to the end part and
she's fading away, about to vanish. They have their last date, lots of drama, and then they share a last kiss after a few last heart shattering moments together. I cried. It was damn good. We're at the end, sad but content, but then he walks into the club room - opens some random fucking box - and there she is. "Oh, I guess I still have some regrets."

Gah! Anime. You've done it again.

It would've been perfect if they'd ended it at
her fading away
, but they just couldn't leave it alone. Had to throw in that extra bit.

Soma

That ending was super disappointing. Let's go for the build up.

It would've been perfect if they'd ended it at
her fading away
, but they just couldn't leave it alone. Had to throw in that extra bit.

Yeah I agree. I feel better just thinking that the episode ended right after the scene with "Requiem" playing. Other than that I honestly enjoyed the show a good deal. Just... yeah.

I still wonder how they'll end the manga.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah I agree. I feel better just thinking that the episode ended right after the scene with "Requiem" playing. Other than that I honestly enjoyed the show a good deal. Just... yeah.

I still wonder how they'll end the manga.

Absolutely. I was attached to the characters. They did a good job, overall, with the anime. But... Grr. This is going to annoy me every time I think of this anime now.

As far as the manga, I'm not even going to bother reading it. It will probably just further aggrivate me D:

Jex

Hermes: Winds of Love

mwuRQ.png

One half standard love story.

One half unadulterated Happy Science.

The film was actually pretty well animated, with some great backgrounds and environments included. The first half was actually largely normal and that disappointed me. This is followed by an ounce of "enlightenment" period for Hermes which was probably the most flat part of the work.
I must admit, it's work which came dangerously close to putting me to sleep until the real movies started, where upon I was able to bask once again in his divine light.

Makoto

Bodacious Space Pirates 26 (FINAL)

There was some weird camera panning going on in this episode but aside from that, it was alright. I was disappointed by the copy cat pirate ship designs.

Well, I had plenty of problems with Space Pirates:

-The princesses (and to an extent, the yacht club as well). Them having so much screentime brought the show down and not counting the first five episodes, I feel the arc where
the club took over the Bentanmaru was one of the lowest points for the show.
-The lack of attention given to the individual members of the Bentanmaru (there’s a cyborg on the ship and he looks loads more interesting than princesses but yet we still know jack about him).
-No seriously, 26 episodes and not one adequate back story episode on any member of the Bentanmaru crew.
I think Kane having a brother and Coorie being hot were the only worthy tidbits about the crew.
-Very uneven and sparse world building. The OP implied that there would be some exploration of other planets but all we did was travel to and fro from ships to the Sea of the Morning Star. (As firehawk posted previously, what is the Galactic Empire really?)
-The show didn’t become bodacious until the anime original content.
-I was really pissed off at the conclusion of the ghost ship arc when
it turned out both sides had already agreed to peacefully share the discovery. Right when they have guns aimed at each other and you think it’s going to be bodacious action... nope.

But I remain loyal to the show because Marika is my queen and her journey is what’s important (and tolerable) here. I feel however, Space Pirates did a poor job with 26 episodes to spare.

Dresden

eureka seven Ao - 11

Sure was pied piper-y. Adults refuse to pay, thus the children pay the price.

I actually . . . liked this episode. I wonder if this is like being inducted into a cult.

I hope the actual resolution to the 'puzzle' of the series is something retarded like the hollow earth theory.

Ao's world is just the over-world of coral covering the original e7's world, which in turn covers Ao's world. They scab over each other and those intersections upon which the two layers meet are rifts where the scub coral bursts happen. They essentially exist together upon the same plane but on different time phases, sort of like an onion where every layer exists on the same ring.
Generation Bleu digs into their layer to uncover the hidden world, which at this point in time is dead. Eureka's passages into Ao's world was to seed it with Ao and Elena, the latter of whom is directly related to Anemone as Ao is to Eureka.

The Truth is the manifestation of the pankrator, or perhaps the fourth spoke in the Trinity, who walks as a test of mankind, sort of like a symbol of gnosis.

eSgT3.jpg

The Sacred Blacksmith 8
bI5Mo.jpg

That kind of scene would work better if she had something to fill that top...
A very nice conclusion to the arc. The best part is is that Luke didn't even have to bail out Cecily at all. She basically gets in a rematch with the girls with their demon swords again and easily beats them all after learning how to deal with their quirks. It's kinda sad to see them go. I hope they come back later in the show at some point...
mHAju.png

Don't worry Cecily, we figured that out a long time ago.

Jex

[Mysterious Incest] - 13

mgxfinale2.png

mgxfinale.png

That wasn't...entirely what I expected from the final episode to this series. It was a little...disappointing, but I really don't know what I was expecting.

Bleach 260
I actually thought this was a Shuuhei focused episode not where Kazeshini raises a baby. Not as funny as last one and slightly dull.

Articalys

Mysterious Girlfriend X 13

That wasn't...entirely what I expected from the final episode to this series. It was a little...disappointing, but I really don't know what I was expecting.
It was a nice pair of chapters they used to close out the series, but yeah, nothing about it really felt "final". I guess all that talk of an anime original ending was just rumors after all.
Still enjoyed the series overall though. It was a good adaptation of the source material, and I feel it was even a bit stronger than the manga thanks to some smart story combinations.

Theonik

Considering how poorly it was recieved, that seems an odd choice. Perhaps they're playing on the 'strength' of the Blood name and a general interest in vampire shit.
They just realised that there is a serious lack of comedies in their recent library is all.

Space Bros 14

The new OP is alright. Visually, I think I like the first one better. As far as the songs go, they're about even. Never really got the hype surrounding Feel So Moon.

Anyway, development for Furuya! I'm warming up to the guy after his introduction which made him out to be a mook.

I really like how the team has interacted up to this point. Even if Furuya is gonna be all tsun about it, they've definitely all become friends in some shape or form.

Theonik

I wonder if they wanted the movie but had to license the tv show to get it.
That would make sense actually, they probably figured they could make a bit more money from people buying both/sitting on the fence on the film until seeing the series etc.

Ultimadrago

Eureka Seven AO 11

If the Truth NTR episode is anything to go by, Eureka Seven AO has taught me that it is more entertaining when on trippy drugs and psychological joy rides than when doing about anything else.

This was a time I didn't need to request explosions to keep me engaged in the show, for an episode focused on Elena no less!

Mind rape sand
and dead eyes is just what this show needed. Alas, I know that it will not stay that way, unfortunately.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Deadman Wonderland 06

Every week I think the fucked-upness of this show has plateaued, and every week I am proven wrong.

This was the episode I waiting for to air on Toonami.

I haven't read such glorious reactions in quite some time. ToonamiGAF has me in stitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom