• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you need to watch Sword of the Stranger

Sword of the Stranger

This should be your first priority.

If you find yourself with more time on your hands you should invest in watching Gurren Lagann and/or Eureka Seven

Dang, forgot to say that I did see Sword of the Stranger and it was amazing. Gundam Unicorn looks great just from a trailer; I'll check it out! I've heard of GL and Eureka; I'll put them on the list for sometime in the future.

Also saw Redline recently, loved it for the visuals.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ookami Kodomo made 365,150,000yen on the first two days of release. It opened on 381 screens. For comparison Poopy Hill (Goro Miyasucky) made 387,530,000yen on 457 screens on the first two days. Look like Hosoda is catching up with Ghibli too! Sucks to be Ghibli in 2012! :D
That's just Goro though. Need to reach Hayao levels.

duckroll

That's just Goro though. Need to reach Hayao levels.

I think Goro is closer to Hosoda in age. By the time Hosoda is as old as Miyazaki is, if he's still working he might actually reach those levels. Especially since Miyazaki won't be around anymore.

Ultimadrago

Haibane Renmei 3

tc5Ba.png

I don't have much to say on this episode. We get more one-on-one with Rakka and other Haibane besides Reki. While Hikari was simply more of a walking rule book, Kuu had some interesting insights that are more or less expected from a young mind. The supernatural feel of halos declines even further when it is revealed
that Hikari used the molds to make donuts. Heh.

This was another episode that built itself on character and Haibane ritual. While this is educating, I am ready for a bit of conflict to occur. I'll see if the next episode will tackle anything of the sort.

Caesnd

Dang, forgot to say that I did see Sword of the Stranger and it was amazing. Gundam Unicorn looks great just from a trailer; I'll check it out! I've heard of GL and Eureka; I'll put them on the list for sometime in the future.

I don't know if Eureka Seven is for you really...

You mentioned liking Macross Plus, so how about Do You Remember Love? Some very classy 80s art in that imo, and good animation too.

Edit: check out Patlabor too.

Firemind

Perfect Blue, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Movie: Gurren-hen & Lagann-hen, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone & 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Goro is closer to Hosoda in age. By the time Hosoda is as old as Miyazaki is, if he's still working he might actually reach those levels. Especially since Miyazaki won't be around anymore.
Miyazaki the elder is too much of a grumpy old man to die.

Caught the new Rinne and the number of times they show her with her back arched and in her robo bunny outfit was just weird:

Like, maybe in the context of the whole
shame
thing it is somewhat relevant, but every time they cut back to her they had to give us bunny Madoka.

Maybe they're trying to start a new meme on pixiv or something.
They know the audience
not me

Kagami

Now that I'm settled into my new apartment and not worried about delivery timing at the new address, it's time for some shopping!

Strike Witches: Wings of Silver
PSP port of the Xbox 360 game.
This was the only Strike Witches game I didn't have, due to not owning a 360, so I'm happy this wound up on PSP.

Tamura Naomi - "Respect For Anison"
Tamura Naomi's a rock and pop singer who's been around since the 80s, but to anime fans she's probably most well known for singing the first and third opening songs to Magic Knight Rayearth (which are both awesome). She also sang the Rayearth OVA opening as well as for a few misc other anime like Pokemon and Get Backers, but hadn't sung anything for anime for a number of years now until this spring, when she popped back into anime again with the OP for Queen's Blade Rebellion.

Anyway, this album is combination of some of her own anime openings -- Rayearth 1st OP, Rayearth 3rd OP, Rayearth OVA, Pokemon, Get Backers, Captain Kuppa, Queen's Blade Rebellion -- and covers of famous anime openings: Evangelion, Lupin III, Dragonball Z, Fafner, Gundam Seed, Gegege no Kitarou

Couple of comic books to round things out: Koe de Oshigoto! vol. 8 w/drama CD, and Genshiken vol. 12

Narag

OK, so I have a really free weekend coming up and it occurred to me that it's been a while since I've seen a new anime. I'm looking for an OVA or movie to watch this weekend. As you'll be able to tell really fast, I've been absent from anime for a long time. Don't laugh at my stone-age tastes!

Not really interested in a full-season series just due to time.

Favorites: Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell (original and Innocence), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, The Big O, Ninja Scroll, Highlander: The Search For Vengeance, Akira, Samurai Champloo.

Things I Like: Violence, gritty, dark, epic, high production values, a hand-drawn look, detailed art. That wave that hit the US in the late 80s/90s.

Things I Dislike: CGI look, huge eyes, day-glo colors, whining, you can probably guess the rest based on my favorites list. Not interested in Miyazaki right now, as I've seen most of his films.

Bonus: I have a soft spot for Gundam. Seen Wing, G Gundam, some of the original, tiny bit of Gundam X. Fave Gundam is 08th MS Team, any Gundam OVA/Movie type stuff I should be aware of? Stardust Memories looks superficially similar to 08th MS Team.

EDIT: Working on a MAL now.

Giant Robo, Wicked City, DYRL, RIding Bean, and Riki-Oh:The Wall of Hell!

NewFresh

Have you watched Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade? Space Cobra: The movie might be up your alley as well. (Recent post by Narag)

Jarmel

Banned
Argh, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha character designs for the anime were revealed and they fucking suck

Looks too much like the SAO crap. Why couldn't they just stick with the LN designs or heck even the manga

So just read a summary of this. It sounds like an actually interesting version of Spice&Wolf.

Brought episode 1 of C3 to work at tried watching the first few minutes. THAT WAS A BAD IDEA.

Good thing my co-worker is off today. Also a good thing they don't monitor our computers too closely.

I don't know if Eureka Seven is for you really...

You mentioned liking Macross Plus, so how about Do You Remember Love? Some very classy 80s art in that imo, and good animation too.

Edit: check out Patlabor too.

I wasn't aware that there were Macross movies of the original storyline. That's great.

I've been interested in Patlabor for a long time. Should I just start at the beginning?

Giant Robo, Wicked City, DYRL, RIding Bean, and Riki-Oh:The Wall of Hell!

LOL, some of these look amazing (Wicked City)!

Have you watched Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade? Space Cobra: The movie might be up your alley as well. (Recent post by Narag)

I've owned Jin-Roh for years and never watched it, should probably do that. And I actually own the Sega CD Space Cobra game, lol.

fertygo

Ookami Kodomo made 365,150,000yen on the first two days of release. It opened on 381 screens. For comparison Poopy Hill (Goro Miyasucky) made 387,530,000yen on 457 screens on the first two days. Look like Hosoda is catching up with Ghibli too! Sucks to be Ghibli in 2012! :D

The savior of anime ;_;

Jarmel

Banned
It's a parody of JRPG tropes with macroeconomics. The manga has been pretty good so far.

This really does seem like a better version than Wolf, in concept anyway. Need to see what the characters are like. I can't find much on the anime adaptation though.

cajunator

Banned
Tari Tari ep 4
8nPh4.gif

:cajun

Wein motherfuckers, dive tackle from a moving car is badass. Second best character ever.

Wow. I need to watch episode 4 stat!

When upscaling goes very wrong: The Haibane Renmei edition

This is why they told me to avoid the BLurays I guess. My trusty old Geneon discs will do just fine for a while longer.

Its a marketing issue. Do a company market to the sons of the bankers (who are mostly otaku), or do i market for the mainstream? The way things are prices they pretty much have no choice. Once the "youtube" ban goes in effect in October (barring some mircale) the business will be easy pickings for the western studios in two to three years. They dont how market forces work.

This ban sounds like a bunch of shit, and also potentially going to take some very entertaining things off youtube for good :(

narutaru 1-12
what the hell was that?

Cute pokemons doing cute things
and rape

Smile Precure 24

That was utterly delightful.

It is a shame that pegasus form is pretty much just a min long finisher, but it does feel 'breezy', anyhow.

Eps was worth it just cuz of:

Oh my god. OH MY GOD.

Emmanuel watching things so I don't have to.

On another note, I should get on Detroit Metal City one day.

Yes, DMC is a hilarious series. I cant wait for it to come in the US. Day one purchase.

Can I just go to the back and draw pictures of the lesbians making out?

YES, you can! And PM me the results!

Haibane Renmei 3

I don't have much to say on this episode. We get more one-on-one with Rakka and other Haibane besides Reki. While Hikari was simply more of a walking rule book, Kuu had some interesting insights that are more or less expected from a young mind. The supernatural feel of halos declines even further when it is revealed
that Hikari used the molds to make donuts. Heh.

This was another episode that built itself on character and Haibane ritual. While this is educating, I am ready for a bit of conflict to occur. I'll see if the next episode will tackle anything of the sort.

Oh, there is conflict and you're not far from getting to it. A lot of things are up to your interpretation though. Don't expect to get all the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom