• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

I dunno, I also dig the music and direction and I'm gently warming up to the characters. I guess that doesn't count?

I found it visually interesting but pretty boring. The main character was incredibly annoying as well. His interactions with people and that face he makes became grating by the second episode, and after the third I had no desire to continue watching. I've considered going back, seeing as many here loved the series as a whole; however, if it kept up with the same pace and gags, I think I will stay away.

sonicmj1

Haibane Renmei 3

I feel like the rhythm of this show is starting to make some sense.

In this episode, Rakka is officially acknowledged as a Haibane. I liked the ritual mysticism of the ceremony. There's all sorts of unspoken tradition that everyone is expected to follow. I'm not sure if there's a reason, or if it's just religions being religions. With the way the show handles its premise, it's easy to forget the girls have pieces of metal floating above their heads for no adequately explained reason. It's all very matter-of-fact.

QTztR.jpg

"Why do we have to do this?"
"Because it's moe."

It was nice for Rakka to spend some quality alone time with Hikari and Kuu. They're starting to seem more whole.

Ultimadrago

Sakuga doesn't make anything less boring. It just makes stuff nicer to look at. Hyouka always had great animation and art. People like this arc because it's actually fun and exciting, instead of 4 people sitting in a room talking about what their math teacher might or might not be thinking.

Now there's a nice conclusion.

Tari Tari ep 4
http://i.imgur.com/8nPh4.gif[IMG]
:cajun

Wein motherfuckers, dive tackle from a moving car is badass. Second best character ever.[/QUOTE]

Anime "Monkey dance", we meet again.

Novid

Banned
I think overall there is way more creativity going on in anime. videogames have more quickly been infested with gamers making games in an insular environment, to the point where creativity really doesnt exist much outside of the indie games community. You could argue this is going on with anime, but I think there is still plenty of creativity going on in some studios. although this really is comparing apples to oranges in ways. Animation can go a lot more places than videogames can. Thats not to say videogames are completely devoid of creativity. there is still a handful of games every year that look pretty fresh. I dunno, maybe I'm being too quick to leave them for dead. entertainment in general is kind of hitting a brick wall. Everything has been done and you are seeing more and more sequels to things that worked before because its the safe bet. Companies can no longer afford to take risks and get creative for fear of being shuttered with one particularly costly mistake. So we are left with tons of rehashes, reboots, and updated retreads.

Its a marketing issue. Do a company market to the sons of the bankers (who are mostly otaku), or do i market for the mainstream? The way things are prices they pretty much have no choice. Once the "youtube" ban goes in effect in October (barring some mircale) the business will be easy pickings for the western studios in two to three years. They dont how market forces work.

NewFresh

K-ON: The Movie

Look, I tried. I jumped into this as open as possible. I genunily wanted to find something to like...and then I did in the first 5 min. Unfortunately, much like Azusa-san, I was conned into beliveing there was more to this than "cute" girls being "cute".

Now if you will exuse me, I need to watch some Detroit Metal City to cleanse this from my mind.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Damn... I didn't realize Burst the Gravity sounded so good. Oh wait, that's because the hacked animation isn't in it and Haru isn't in it. Right....

wonzo

Banned
Its a marketing issue. Do a company market to the sons of the bankers (who are mostly otaku), or do i market for the mainstream? The way things are prices they pretty much have no choice. Once the "youtube" ban goes in effect in October (barring some mircale) the business will be easy pickings for the western studios in two to three years. They dont how market forces work.
What Youtube ban are you talking about?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Look, I tried. I jumped into this as open as possible. I genunily wanted to find something to like...and then I did in the first 5 min. Unfortunately, much like Azusa-san, I was conned into beliveing there was more to this than "cute" girls being "cute".

Now if you will exuse me, I need to watch some Detroit Metal City to cleanse this from my mind.

Apparently the spectacle of London is just too much for some.

Branduil

ifVPU1jocPnd8.jpg

Defuser

Damn... I didn't realize Burst the Gravity sounded so good. Oh wait, that's because the hacked animation isn't in it and Haru isn't in it. Right....

Song composition is by Sat of fripside who also compose unfinished ED and all of To Aru Kagaku no Railgun's OP's.

Defuser

Oh really? I liked all of fripside's stuff so far.
Apparently Altima is a new group consist of Sat of Fripside, motsu of MOVE and Maon Kurosaki who perform HOSTD songs and also To Aru Majutsu no Index 2 EDs. Perfect Combo. If there is a new To Aru anime, I expect Altima to perform.

OceanBlue

Apparently Altima is a new group consist of Sat of Fripside, motsu of MOVE and Maon Kurosaki who perform HOSTD songs and also To Aru Majutsu no Index 2 EDs. Perfect Combo. If there is a new To Aru anime, I expect Altima to perform.

I was wondering why it sounded so much like a combination of fripside and MOVE. I hope they do much more than just To Aru etc.

Defuser

I was wondering why it sounded so much like a combination of fripside and MOVE. I hope they do much more than just To Aru etc.

Although I say I expect but most likely they won't be performing for any To Aru Series. If it is a new Index series, Iuchi Maiko of I've Sound will handle the OP and ED with Mami Kawada and probably Maon Kurosaki. If it is a new Railgun, Sat will probably go back with Yoshino Nanjou to perform as Fripside for the OP.

Ultimadrago

Emmanuel watching things so I don't have to.

On another note, I should get on Detroit Metal City one day.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is this an okay place to do the old "I've seen this, what else should I watch" routine, or is it dedicated to the OP title (Summer '12)?
The seasonal threads are, for all intents and purposes, general anime threads.

Feel free to ask us for recommendations, or make your own thread which we will subsequently invade like the Mongolian hordes.

Defuser

Maybe lttp I realised something about Space Bros OP2.

0ydUx.jpg

I know the moon is Mutta's hair but didn't realized the sun is Hibito's hair. Mind Blown.

duckroll

Ookami Kodomo made 365,150,000yen on the first two days of release. It opened on 381 screens. For comparison Poopy Hill (Goro Miyasucky) made 387,530,000yen on 457 screens on the first two days. Look like Hosoda is catching up with Ghibli too! Sucks to be Ghibli in 2012! :D

Firemind

This is an egalitarian community. Help yourself. You can grab some cookies over to the left, follow the always heated discussion of the underlying meaning of K-On on the right and make out with your fellow lesbians in the back.

OK, so I have a really free weekend coming up and it occurred to me that it's been a while since I've seen a new anime. I'm looking for an OVA or movie to watch this weekend. As you'll be able to tell really fast, I've been absent from anime for a long time. Don't laugh at my stone-age tastes!

Not really interested in a full-season series just due to time.

Favorites: Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell (original and Innocence), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, The Big O, Ninja Scroll, Highlander: The Search For Vengeance, Akira, Samurai Champloo.

Things I Like: Violence, gritty, dark, epic, high production values, a hand-drawn look, detailed art. That wave that hit the US in the late 80s/90s.

Things I Dislike: CGI look, huge eyes, day-glo colors, whining, you can probably guess the rest based on my favorites list. Not interested in Miyazaki right now, as I've seen most of his films.

Bonus: I have a soft spot for Gundam. Seen Wing, G Gundam, some of the original, tiny bit of Gundam X. Fave Gundam is 08th MS Team, any Gundam OVA/Movie type stuff I should be aware of? Stardust Memories looks superficially similar to 08th MS Team.

EDIT: Working on a MAL now.

survivor

Banned
OK, so I have a really free weekend coming up and it occurred to me that it's been a while since I've seen a new anime. I'm looking for an OVA or movie to watch this weekend. As you'll be able to tell really fast, I've been absent from anime for a long time. Don't laugh at my stone-age tastes!

Favorites: Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell (original and Innocence), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, The Big O, Ninja Scroll, Highlander: The Search For Vengeance, Akira, Samurai Champloo.

Things I Like: Violence, gritty, dark, epic, high production values, a hand-drawn look, detailed art. That wave that hit the US in the late 80s/90s.

Things I Dislike: CGI look, huge eyes, day-glo colors, whining, you can probably guess the rest based on my favorites list. Not interested in Miyazaki right now, as I've seen most of his films.

Bonus: I have a soft spot for Gundam. Seen Wing, G Gundam, some of the original, tiny bit of Gundam X. Fave Gundam is 08th MS Team, any Gundam OVA/Movie type stuff I should be aware of? Stardust Memories looks superficially similar to 08th MS Team.

Looks like you need to watch Sword of the Stranger

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This is an egalitarian community. Help yourself. You can grab some cookies over to the left, follow the always heated discussion of the underlying meaning of K-On on the right and make out with your fellow lesbians in the back.

Can I just go to the back and draw pictures of the lesbians making out?

149956.jpg

Sword of the Stranger

This should be your first priority.

EDIT: Beat!

If you find yourself with more time on your hands you should invest in watching Gurren Lagann and/or Eureka Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom