• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Didnt watch any anime for like a year but just finished Daily Lives of High School Boys.

How was it so good? Man. Probably the funniest anime I may have ever seen. 9/10

I wish I had watched it with GAF back then. Hoping for a season 2.

So, with that done, can anyone recommend me any more similar comedy anime?

I was thinking Cromartie High, School Rumble, Love Hina and Nichijou. Good/Bad?

swap Love Hina out for Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu

Looking forward to this myself. Not a clue as to what it's about but I've seen nothing but high praise for it.
Its like my number 3 anime of all time. It starts pretty slow so hang in there because once it gets going you will appreciate the early stuff more.

swap Love Hina out for Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu
NO! Love Hina is the classic comedy/harem. it shouldn't be missed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeot1dDqms
OP never gets old.

Kettch

Didnt watch any anime for like a year but just finished Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Daily Lives of High School Boys is pretty much the spiritual successor to School Rumble, so I'd say go with that.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

I love Nichijou, some people aren't amused by it, and others think that the jokes wear themselves out, or that the series is too long. There's a lot of gag humor and character jokes but it's great stuff all around.

wonzo

Banned
Akibaranger 13 END

akibaranger13.jpg

It's rather fitting the last episode would be a recap given how meta the whole show's been. Still, I don't think I'll be watching any other Sentai show unless a second season gets announced!

classic or not, I think Jungle Wa deserves more attention as a comedy, and has more in common with the school theme of the other shows he was planning than Love Hina (though its still a bit of a stretch)
I can agree with that. I won't dissuade anyone from classics though, besides something like School Days*.

classically awful

wonzo

Banned

Cromartie High's pretty good but I'd recommend Gintama and the upcoming Binbougami Ga! if you're looking for something similar to Nichibros.

wonzo and firehawk. If you ever get the urge for Toku stuff again. Check out Garo. Good choreographed fights, dark demon related stuff, also tits.

Pretty much an 'adult' toku.

Firemind

So this Jinrui something something is certainly... something. The entire time I thought someone slipped a few pills in my drinks. Also, the faeries are totes creepy. It's like they came out of a Stephen King novel. She (can't remember what she's called besides sensei) also had a moment of personality shift that can be construed as mental. Consider my sanity challenged!

Naruto SD 14
tumblr_m6lg4xF1Fj1qmygffo1_500.png

First skit was pretty good, Naruto throwing those rasengans and then making those funny experiences in delight was so great, and then even having Shikamaru too. 2nd skit started slow and lacked Naruto...but at least had Genma, Aoba, Kotetsu, and Izumo, our favorite jonin and chuunin for lifers.

Dislike the ED, the other one was more more memorable than just playing clips of the previous episodes to a not so good song.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gonna go elitist here. Instead of Love Hina, you should check out the better shows that Love Hina took from: Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Tenchi Muyo OVA. Especially MI.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Nichijou and School Rumble are pretty good. Hope you enjoy them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just read the IGN review of the Love Hina anime.

By far the most entertainment to have come out of that franchise.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well that brings up the major issue that FMA had where the protagonists never really felt truly strong because well there is never that feeling that they can do damage or vanquish opponents, since well they are too kind hearted.
Even when Roy Mustang killed the homunculous, he wasnt even praised but rather seen as if he had lost his mind for not sparing them
, fail.

I think it can still be intense when characters are brought to the brink of death and then manage to triumph thanks in part to believing in their friends and themselves, the strength to persever. Its just the ride and experience at that point. Surely one doesnt want to watch something in which the characters lose/die? That would be awful.

We're definitely not from the same plane of reality.

Gonna go elitist here. Instead of Love Hina, you should check out the better shows that Love Hina took from: Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Tenchi Muyo OVA. Especially MI.

The Tenchi OVAs are definitely not better than Love Hina. As for those others, what little of UY I've seen was good, but it certainly has a different feel (I mean, it's endless, and sort of isn't harem, while Love Hina has a continuing plot, and is harem... though of course it is one of those harem series with a single-girl ending.) Haven't seen Maison Ikkoku.

better 200+ episodes of something worth watching than whatever crap that hack akamatsu shits out
The Love Hina anime is great. :(

Love Hina's manga is significantly better than it's anime. If you're going to add it to your "watch" list you should strike it off and add it to your "read" list.
Meh, I've read the whole manga and watched the animes, and i think the anime has a higher quality level. I do wish that the arc in Suu's home country had been animated, but that, and the lack of the manga's ending (ie its last two chapters), are about the only real losses. The rest of the parts not animated (from the last third-plus of the manga) weren't that good to begin with; the series starts to go downhill past the halfway point... though I do like the ending, at least that was strong. Basically, once Keitaro's sister gets introduced the manga starts going downhill, for several reasons... that one arc I mentioned was pretty good, but otherwise... yeah. I don't miss the majority of those parts very much from the anime, and Love Hina Again wasn't that great either.

Otherwise, the first other major difference would be that the anime of course cuts back significantly on the fanservice. I don't think this hurts it; it's still pretty fanservicey after all. And the anime does have a very good soundtrack, and nice visuals for the time as well. Sure, I'd have liked to see more (good) episodes, but it's a good anime series.

NO! Love Hina is the classic comedy/harem. it shouldn't be missed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeot1dDqms
OP never gets old.
Love Hina definitely has a fantastic OP, and a good soundtrack too. It's great.

Nichijou's great, and Love Hina's pretty good. Haven't watched those others.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jormungand 11

Without a doubt the best episode yet. Why? Well, simply because for the first time ever not everything went absolutely according to Koko's plans.

The scene in which she met the drug dealers and they tried to pay with cocaine was something else. And the ending... Oh, well. Guess they aren't immortal after all!

Novid

Banned
I realize yall aint the worst folk in the world, hell some of yall work harder than some in gaf. i came to it after seeing a tumlbr posting on what happened at a bronie con or some shit. there isnt enough face palms in the planet for what i just saw.

Uchip

Banned
I realize yall aint the worst folk in the world, hell some of yall work harder than some in gaf. i came to it after seeing a tumlbr posting on what happened at a bronie con or some shit. there isnt enough face palms in the planet for what i just saw.

wait what?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Somehow, those reports being a hoax makes this post more in character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom