• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What are the other stereotypes you wanted to see in the show? Haha. Most nations don't have widespread stereotypes like Germany or the USA.

He wanted Lady Brit to nut everyone in the face while drinking tea and warm lager and wearing a football shirt and tophat.

Grzi

Kaiji S2 12 - 17

I was going to say how I'm not feeling the slow pace (and I'm not, mostly, it still doesn't bother me), but then I realized I have 9 more episodes until the end. I sure hope he doesn't spend the rest of the episodes sitting in front of this machine. There's not much that can happen, so I'm guessing things will slow down noticeably from here on out.

Joule

Picking back up on this show after only going through the first episode sometime ago. Might as well start crunching on those Spring shows.

I looked up a little bit of staff in the interval because there was a familiar sense in the visuals. It turns out that the character designer for this show, Atsuko Watanabe also worked on GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class and Nekogami Yaoyorozu which show looks very similar to at times. Looking through things there are also other staffers from the same shows like several of compositors, the colour designer and such.

I took a brief reading of the manga just to see how the adaptation compares to the original.
orOiR.jpg
5QhVo.jpg

The earlier volumes were much more rough even on the cover art (without speaking of the inner pages) but it looks like by the the fourth volume it comes into its own a bit more. At that point it matches up fairly well with the anime but I'd have to hand it to the anime's staff on the designs and colour designer on making the more attractive visuals. The solid bright colours really bright out the sweetness of this show.

j7Xc8.jpg
SHJCO.jpg

A gingerbread house and a meat house. Not safe for darkside. A very colourful show though.

On to the actual episode though, the A part was a delightful romp to avoid the rain in Io's workplace, a bakery/tea cafe. It does remind that I should do something myself sometime. The sweetness just pours through and through. Beyond the cuteness though this show knows to have some fun as well. At the very least I'm quite amused at some the antics Mayoi and Sakaki get up to while dragging everybody else in. It helps that there are some fighting game jokes too!

t5l3m.jpg
SIwF4.jpg
JfZJK.jpg

Classy bartender moment (rip Miri) and usual end result anyone with a heart weak to moe watching this show (rip Cajun).

The B part was a fairly standard Valentines episode where the girls bake some goodies to distribute to their loved ones and lovely girls talk. While it is less enticing than the prior part I appreciated showing of the treats they made. This entire episode is really poking at me to make something. It does confirm to me that the cutest one is Hime (that Kaori Fukuhara VA).

DL1F9.jpg
4uy38.jpg

Cat paw design and caramel? drizzle on the edge. Looks yummy.

The times when they use pale tones for the backgrounds are quite nice too. The blend between the characters and the background are a nice image. Kudos to the artists at Mukuo studio who seemed to have done a majority of the backgrounds here and in other shows like Tamayura (there are some soothing backdrops).

Do excuse this image heavy post. I'll most likely refrain from too many in later posts of this show. I did want to show off some the nice backdrops and a few of the little things that attracted me. I feel like this show handles the whole A part B part organization of segments very well (I love those start/end segment transitional letter cards, well even the scene to scene transitions are done similarly). Unlike another show I watched recently, Medaka Box, which really didn't utilize this format well, this is refreshing. Also I wasn't too surprised that ARM did the OP song it does remind me of his doujin works.

Shining Hearts 12
NS8tF.jpg

I don't really feel like bothering on writing impressions about this. Ends exactly as everyone expected it to, all about Rick's bread. Also does the whole let's play the OP and then the ED which means they ran out of things to do near the end of the show.
If anything this show does show what's the best way to not adapt a JRPG. Even a standard JRPG adaptation full of feelings, drama and overly long exposition with short fights would have been more entertaining.

Instro

Uta Koi 1

iy7w3yJxwCQKU.jpg

How fitting that the first poem they use for the show is Chihayafuru. Essentially they present each poem as a short story about how it was written, in the case of the one above it centers around a love affair. Seems like they will be doing 2 each episode, or at least that's how it went this week. There's not much going on in this show animation wise, but the overall visual aesthetic and nice character designs make it easy on the eyes I think. There were also some good music tracks to help with the atmosphere, although the OP and ED feel really out of place. In any event, it was a pretty solid first episode and relaxing to watch, although I would have preferred something with a little more flair to it. If you have any interest in 100 poets of Karuta then I think this is worth checking out.

lol wat
you rated Fairy Tail a 10 and then question Steins Gate?
is this bizarro world?

Fairy Tail is an excellent adaptation of the source material fully capturing and bringing to life the world that Mashima made. Steins;Gate on the other hand seems like they lost something in the process of converting it to an anime, the ending was rather weak for example and they could have done something to make it a bit better. Fairy Tail, there is really nothing to criticize beyond just the song selection for the OP's and ED's, its just that good.

JCG

Speaking of that, I'm scared to watch the Berserk movie because I'm afraid the Dragon Age one will be better.

Ironically enough, I'm in the exact opposite situation. The Berserk movie had ridiculous 3-D CGI, but at least I knew it wasn't going to be any different from the average anime compilation film. In the end, it met those (very low) expectations about as well as I imagined. Take that as you will.

The Dragon Age film...let's just say nothing I've read about it here makes me want to watch that.

survivor

Banned
Kaiji S2 12 - 17

I was going to say how I'm not feeling the slow pace (and I'm not, mostly, it still doesn't bother me), but then I realized I have 9 more episodes until the end. I sure hope he doesn't spend the rest of the episodes sitting in front of this machine. There's not much that can happen, so I'm guessing things will slow down noticeably from here on out.

You probably would have felt the slow pace if you were watching it weekly.

Now that I think about it, it must have been even worse for the manga readers who were following it each week. I feel sorry for them.

how about the fact that its Generic, Obnoxious, Unfunny, poorly animated, poorly designed and the plot is so utterly contrived even for a shounen audience

Generic? But its pretty unique, there are so many abilities, in the same tier as Naruto, which has just a style jutsu for everything as well as sub divisions in each of the numerous kekkeigenkai. Fairy Tail even beats Bleach in that regard since bleach only has bankai and shikai and three tears of kido.

I dont see how its all of the other stuff, it has actually intense battles that look great enhanced with those magic runes, and then the characters keep things lighthearted with Happy's aye, Gray and Lyons constant hilarious stripping, and Natsu hilarious antics, as well as everyone elses.

Fairy Tail isn't a top series for nothing, its really good. I guess it just needs to grow on you?

Uchip

Banned
I found this to be very funny.

anime is our bog
we sit in front of our screens while it devours our souls

Generic? But its pretty unique, there are so many abilities, in the same tier as Naruto, which has just a style jutsu for everything as well as sub divisions in each of the numerous kekkeigenkai. Fairy Tail even beats Bleach in that regard since bleach only has bankai and shikai and three tears of kido.

I dont see how its all of the other stuff, it has actually intense battles that look great enhanced with those magic runes, and then the characters keep things lighthearted with Happy's aye, Gray and Lyons constant hilarious stripping, and Natsu hilarious antics, as well as everyone elses.

Fairy Tail isn't a top series for nothing, its really good. I guess it just needs to grow on you?

It feels more like they are just throwing abilities in there that they pull out of a hat at random (and not in an amusing way like One Piece). It doesn't matter how many you have if they're executed poorly and have very little lasting effect.

Right now its suffering from the 'it looks like they're going to die, but they're not going to' syndrome which takes ALL of the potential intensity out of all of the fights.
I call it the Bleach syndrome.
Something like Full Metal Alchemist on the other hand does this very well.

I have to disagree strongly that the runes look good.
needs more photoshop filters

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Now that I think about it, it must have been even worse for the manga readers who were following it each week. I feel sorry for them.

But it was worth it. The worst bit was recap week. An extra week without Kaiji. Oh the agony.

I remember having a discussion about what game Kaiji should play in the future. The consensus was Mario Party.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
yuri yuri two - 01

BWRxul.jpg

• These must be one of the worst school uniforms ever. The frocks look like something they give to pregnant women with the hems chopped short.

Yeah, I had this thought as I watched this show yesterday. On one hand it looks horrible, but on the other hand it's kinda like a dress that doesn't cinch in at the waist, so if the wind were to catch it, it could blow all the way up to the top of the body giving a panty AND bra shot at the same time. ho-ho the possibilities...

hmmm I'm off to draw something now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, I had this thought as I watched this show yesterday. On one hand it looks horrible, but on the other hand it's kinda like a dress that doesn't cinch in at the waist, so if the wind were to catch it, it could blow all the way up to the top of the body giving a panty AND bra shot at the same time. ho-ho the possibilities...

hmmm I'm off to draw something now.

Trust me, it's been done.

wonzo

Banned
DTL is internet performance art at its best.

Well lucky for this Daryl chap, I'll be in Hyde park this Saturday. If he would like to say that to my face offline rather than via his microphone then he is welcome to.
prepare to get owned by the dual-wielded clown pistols

Wait akb is nearly over?
I think it's a split 2 cour show.

needs more mari-chan

You've read that doujin too? Tsundere Ryuuji was moe.
easily shindols best work

Tight-rope (2 end)
tumblr_m68ef0lM6z1rtog62o5_500.png

This part of the two set was actually worth the month long wait since seeing the first one. The action and suspense was pretty good as was all the scenes thereafter. In terms of bl action it was pretty touching how their relationship evolved over the course of the two episodes and in episode two
Nao finally wanting to be with Ryu and then giving him what he wanted was nice as well as the blushing and what not from them both. All that detail in the kiss scene, then the hilarious scene when they were on top of each other, and the ending moment, were all great
. Nao was quite memorable as well as Ryu. I enjoyed it.

9 / 10.

It feels more like they are just throwing abilities in there that they pull out of a hat at random (and not in an amusing way like One Piece). It doesn't matter how many you have if they're executed poorly and have very little lasting effect.

Right now its suffering from the 'it looks like they're going to die, but they're not going to' syndrome which takes ALL of the potential intensity out of all of the fights.
I call it the Bleach syndrome.
Something like Full Metal Alchemist on the other hand does this very well.

I have to disagree strongly that the runes look good.
needs more photoshop filters

Well that brings up the major issue that FMA had where the protagonists never really felt truly strong because well there is never that feeling that they can do damage or vanquish opponents, since well they are too kind hearted.
Even when Roy Mustang killed the homunculous, he wasnt even praised but rather seen as if he had lost his mind for not sparing them
, fail.

I think it can still be intense when characters are brought to the brink of death and then manage to triumph thanks in part to believing in their friends and themselves, the strength to persever. Its just the ride and experience at that point. Surely one doesnt want to watch something in which the characters lose/die? That would be awful.

Uchip

Banned
I think it can still be intense when characters are brought to the brink of death and then manage to triumph thanks in part to believing in their friends and themselves, the strength to persever.

ignoring what you said about FMA because I dont understand the logic.

in Fairy Tail I don't ever feel they are ever on the brink of death because not only is the tone really cartoony, but the most they get is a few bruises and then they're fine soon after.
most recently
when they all destroy the lacrimas surrounding the city, which was supposed to be a big deal, they have this comical scene where everyone gets zapped.

why would I want to watch something where characters can lose? is this rhetoric? of course I want to watch something where I cant predict every single twist and outcome

Considering part 2 lasted over 13 volumes in the manga, probably.

shahkur

Didnt watch any anime for like a year but just finished Daily Lives of High School Boys.

How was it so good? Man. Probably the funniest anime I may have ever seen. 9/10

I wish I had watched it with GAF back then. Hoping for a season 2.

So, with that done, can anyone recommend me any more similar comedy anime?

I was thinking Cromartie High, School Rumble, Love Hina and Nichijou. Good/Bad?

survivor

Banned
Considering part 2 lasted over 13 volumes in the manga, probably.
I'm planning on reading it soon just to see how the pacing differs.

Didnt watch any anime for like a year but just finished Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Definitely watch Nichijou.

Ultimadrago

Cromartie High has a similar tone to Daily Lives of High School Boys, but with more "absurd" situations.

You should give it a go.

Soma

Cromartie and Nichijou are absolutely brilliant, imo. Definitely must watch shows.

Haven't seen the other two unfortunately.

shahkur

Thanks for the recommendations guys, much appreciated.

One more thing, what are the chances of Yotsuba& getting an anime? The manga has been going for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom