• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

http://www.p3m.jp/

Persona 3 the movie!

...nice.

At its root I find the Persona 3 story the more interesting than 4's, its just that its execution was a little iffy at times. I always felt like It really dragged in spots, particularly before the finale kicks in.

:lol

Oooooh hell yes.

But if that was the case we wouldn't get MCxMitsuru.

Or could we? :3

She is one of the few female routes that contains an allusion to her romantic feelings for the female MC, so there is that.

Junpei is the best anyway.

And maybe Aigis if you're counting females, oh, and we can't forget Fuuka representing the robot side.

Narag

Steins;Gate - END

That. Was. Fucking. AWESOME.

I'm still in awe at how perfectly that all came together, and it was so solid all the way through (minus a slow start). But oh boy, once it grabs you by the balls, it does not let go.

10/10

Looking forward to this myself. Not a clue as to what it's about but I've seen nothing but high praise for it.

Grzi

save yourself from yourself, comrade.

It's over, I don't even know what I'm doing, saw the PV for the second season yesterday and had a huge grin across my face from start to finish.

I... just need to see for myself...
Wish me luck, although it's probably too late for that.

It's over, I don't even know what I'm doing, saw the PV for the second season yesterday and had a huge grin across my face from start to finish.

Just to steel yourself, it doesn't really get good till like episode 4 or 5 once they stop changing the character's perspective.

Caught the first ep of Hyouka over the weekend. Now that's I've finished S;G I'll probably move on to that. Even if the characters are story are boring as hell (Which I doubt, I already really like the characters), the visuals are so beautiful I couldn't care less.

Endure the slow start and heavy plot information for something truly enjoyable after that moment, its quite worth it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yuru Yuri S1 EP1

It's very cute, but nothing happens. I don't think I'll be watching this.

It's funny that I say that because now that I think about it, almost every other show I'm thinking about watching will probably end up being the same thing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Caught the first ep of Hyouka over the weekend. Now that's I've finished S;G I'll probably move on to that. Even if the characters are story are boring as hell (Which I doubt, I already really like the characters), the visuals are so beautiful I couldn't care less.
Did you really want the polar opposite of Steins;Gate after liking it so much?

Branduil

Colony Drop is an anime blog which features aritcles from a number of contributors. It has a voice, I suppose, but it's pretty loose. Some of the writers have a very distinct 'crankly old man' style which, in my opinion, is a combination of genuine disenchantment with anime and playing up a certain persona to get a rise out of people. I feel it's a bit more of the later than the former. I tend to enjoy what they put out on their written blog, even when it's a little 'shouty'. It can even be pretty neutral from time to time.

You might remember an Akiyuki Shinbo-directed TV anime series from 2010 called Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, or And Yet The Town Turns. You might even remember that it was based on a manga by someone named Masakazu Ishiguro. Forget this anime series; it was dross
ibVKmLMWXCdA8.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Before we go down the well trodden path (both on the internet and in real life) of 'Us vs Them' perhaps a little bit of context would be appropriate.

Daryl Surat is one of the three hosts of the AWO podcast which I always listen to. He also contributes to the Otaku USA magazine. He's extremely knowledgeable, perhaps dangerously knowledgeable, about anime and unusually for the podcasting world he's eloquent as well. Not in an NPR fashion though. He isn't really bitter or humourless. I really enjoy his approach to reviewing anime. I doubt he's ever read through any of this thread because he's busy enough frequenting the ANN forums.

Colony Drop is an anime blog which features aritcles from a number of contributors. It has a voice, I suppose, but it's pretty loose. Some of the writers have a very distinct 'crankly old man' style which, in my opinion, is a combination of genuine disenchantment with anime and playing up a certain persona to get a rise out of people. I feel it's a bit more of the later than the former. I tend to enjoy what they put out on their written blog, even when it's a little 'shouty'. It can even be pretty neutral from time to time.

As for the issue of quoting AnimeGAF users out of context - Shit Otaku Say is driven by submissions. If people from NeoGAF would stop submitting stuff to them they wouldn't have anything to quote! I can't really fault them for not reading an entire seasonal thread to discover that someone was joking.

That's all reasonable. I wanted to avoid speaking from a position of ignorance on this topic if at all possible, though between the AWO podcast's comments and the high number of AnimeGAF quotes on SOS, it's easy to assume that someone out there is inordinately singling out our community for what amounts to generally unwarranted disdain and mockery. I don't have a thin skin, but I do take pride in what we've tried to create here, so I do bristle at misrepresentation even if it seems like an overreaction. While I've sometimes read SOS for amusement I don't like what it stands for in general, and what appears to be a lack of sufficient vetting process for comments is part of that.

I think that I may have overstated my lack of knowledge about Colony Drop as I've read several of the site's articles in the past, and while it's not a universally negative site, the nostalgic bent and profound disdain for modern anime as a whole are strong enough that I'm not a fan of most of the content. I recognize that I'm woefully ignorant of the identities of most "important" names in the anime blogosphere and don't mean to insult Mr. Surat without knowing anything about him, although I don't think that I share much in terms of perspective with him if he at all buys into the Colony Drop attitude. I suppose I'll leave it at that, as I've already offended LegatoB for an as-of-yet-undisclosed reason and genuinely don't want to shit up the thread further with what appears to be yet another one of AnimeGAF's "cyclical" topics of discussion.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've changed my mind and now I'm all in on Hyouka... but that picture is from OreImo.

Which picture? o_o

Steins;Gate - END

I'm still in awe at how perfectly that all came together, and it was so solid all the way through (minus a slow start). But oh boy, once it grabs you by the balls, it does not let go.

10/10

So good! :D Welcome to the club!

Kurita

Tiger & Bunny 1-6
Holy cow, that thing is GOOD. Funny, fast-paced action. That "Over and Out" attack in ep.5...
More animes like this ?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mysterious Girlfriend XBox - End

i0Q88OJFHM5mk.gif

They are going to do what in front of his mothers grave in the future!? How despicable.

I still honestly have no idea what to think of this show. I watched it to the end despite the premise being drool. Also where were all the lemons the OP promised me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yuru Yuri S1 EP1

It's very cute, but nothing happens. I don't think I'll be watching this.

It's funny that I say that because now that I think about it, almost every other show I'm thinking about watching will probably end up being the same thing.
You should maybe not watch Idolm@ster.

Daryl Surat is one of the three hosts of the AWO podcast which I always listen to. He also contributes to the Otaku USA magazine. He's extremely knowledgeable, perhaps dangerously knowledgeable, about anime and unusually for the podcasting world he's eloquent as well. Not in an NPR fashion though. He isn't really bitter or humourless. I really enjoy his approach to reviewing anime. I doubt he's ever read through any of this thread because he's busy enough frequenting the ANN forums.

He's clearly so knowledgeable that he can generalize about the entirety of GAF without apparently ever having been anywhere near it! This guy is amazing!

I can't really fault them for not reading an entire seasonal thread to discover that someone was joking.

"I can't really fault them for generalizing about an entire website from out-of-context comments on a blog which is full of circlejerk elitism."

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
She is one of the few female routes that contains an allusion to her romantic feelings for the female MC, so there is that.

Oh really? I may have to go through it a second time then.

Junpei is the best anyway.

And maybe Aigis if you're counting females, oh, and we can't forget Fuuka representing the robot side.

There's Fuuka fans? Well... different strokes I guess.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tiger & Bunny 1-6
Holy cow, that thing is GOOD. Funny, fast-paced action. That "Over and Out" attack in ep.5...
More animes like this ?

Tiger and Bunny is a surprisingly-difficult anime to use as a springboard for further recommendations. The particular combination of lighthearted action, superhero tropes, and bros bro-ing it up was fairly fresh and not particularly like any other series in recent memory. Have you seen Sengoku Basara?

Kurita

Tiger and Bunny is a surprisingly-difficult anime to use as a springboard for further recommendations. The particular combination of lighthearted action, superhero tropes, and bros bro-ing it up was fairly fresh and not particularly like any other series in recent memory. Have you seen Sengoku Basara?

Gonna check this out, thanks man.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Steins;Gate - END

10/10

I'll add to what RurouniZel said: welcome to the club of sad human beings who will never be able to experience the wonders of Steins;Gate for the first time ever again!

Such an enjoyable show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh. >>; Sorry, tired. And dumb. I think. Maybe. Either that or I'm the #1 Genius Mad Scientist from the Opposite Dimension of Batshit Lane.
Awooooooga.

Even if it was it would still be a massive failure in regards to opportunity cost.
They could have been making shitty harem loli faux-yuri shows like everyone else?!

---

Akibaranger Fin
I'm always a sucker for in-character commentaries, and since this show ended up being more meta than all of Community, it actually fit into the continuity of the actual show which is a nice touch.
qYwJ5l.jpg

F3vIPl.jpg

I'm still waiting for someone to translate the Bakemonogatari commentary tracks. :(

You know, since they keep talking about how the show changed in the middle, it's actually funny that the show went from gentle nostalgia to pure nerd fantasy right around when the "fake" tone shift happened. You look at the end credits and its fake pictures of children's renditions of the Akibarangers and whatnot... and the show definitely went way past that look at Sentai shows by the time it ended.

It was fun ride anyway... but I don't think I'm going to watch an "official" Sentai show soon though. At least, I don't think I will!

JCG

He's clearly so knowledgeable that he can generalize about the entirety of GAF without apparently ever having been anywhere near it! This guy is amazing!

Yes. Daryl Surat is a pretty good entertainer and does have a lot of knowledge about a variety of shows, mostly past rather than present, but sometimes he tries to overreach and generalize, when it comes to talking about certain people and places or even some anime he isn't really all that familiar with. It makes for above average podcasting most of the time though, even when he's occasionally hilariously or annoyingly wrong (albeit not as much as Gerald, another AWO co-host, who hates things for weird and awkward reasons).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes. Daryl Surat is a pretty good entertainer and does have a lot of knowledge about a variety of shows, mostly past rather than present, but sometimes he tries to overreach and generalize, when it comes to talking about certain people and places or even some anime he isn't really all that familiar with. It makes for above average podcasting most of the time though, even when he's occasionally hilariously or annoyingly wrong (albeit not as much as Gerald, who hates things for weird and awkward reasons).
From the podcasts that I've heard with him and his cabal (which includes the ANN guys), he's one of those "anime/games/movies/books/music/whatever was so much better when I was young" types of people who are myopic about what they will even consider watching let alone praising.

From a circle-jerk perspective, it just gets tiring after a while and makes me wish the "normal" TV critics who talk about Korra, Archer and Bob's Burgers (basically the only Amerimes that matter) would at least consider covering anime in some marginal way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Uta Koi 01:

If anyone had any doubts before, you can know for sure that this series has very, very, very niche appeal. I can generally handle anything involving the stifling reservedness of upper-class feudal Japan, but watching this was like eating a turkey and benadryl sandwich and washing it down with a gallon of NyQuil. I'm giving it one more episode, because I just don't think that I have twelve episodes of tolerance for pointy-hatted men named [name]-no-[name] whispering sweet somethings to their concubines.

I think that the formula would work better if it was a single love story spanning the entirety of the series, as having to learn all new names and faces every twelve minutes is going to wear out its novelty quickly, especially when that's not a particularly sufficient amount of time to differentiate so many love stories from each other or allow them to run their courses satisfactorily. The two stories that this episode dealt with weren't poorly-done by any means (and had the advantage of a slight intertwining of characters to carry over interest from the first story into the second), but the first story in particular mostly worked because it was a depiction of a
one-night stand
and therefore didn't need more resolution than it received.

It's also worth nothing that Uta Koi is glaringly low-budgeted. This in and of itself isn't a criticism but merely an observation, however something more visually-striking would have gone a long way in helping to sustain my attention. Talking heads dominate scenes, the backgrounds are simple and generally have somewhat of a low-resolution blur to them, and a rather awkward use of extremely thick outlines for the human profile constitutes the only visible attempt at "style".

In sum, you're probably not going to love the series unless you're an all-consuming romance addict or are Ooe Kanade from Chihayafuru. And if you are the latter, a.) how are you alive, b.) how did you discover AnimeGAF, and c.) ditch Desktomu and be my waifu.

I'll add to what RurouniZel said: welcome to the club of sad human beings who will never be able to experience the wonders of Steins;Gate for the first time ever again!

Such an enjoyable show.

Maybe in 10 years' time we can come back to it with most of it forgotten from our memories and enjoy it anew..

Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom