• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
8KyOd.jpg

These are great. Never used, unfortunately.
The top left and bottom right both creep me out.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 14
I don't think most robotic clubs are like this.
So they just don't stop introducing new characters do they. Same old, same old, even the same jokes from the first episode just different reaction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seitokai Yakuindomo 14
I don't think most robotic clubs are like this.
So they just don't stop introducing new characters do they. Same old, same old, even the same jokes from the first episode just different reaction.
Yep, it's just a high JPM based around girls making sex jokes.

e_i

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere first season.

"Yeah...we won...oh MOTHERFUCKER!"

This show is show damn crazy. And the lead is a loveable asshole pervert. Only in anime folks...only in anime can you have a good hearted pervert. I wonder how the second season will be paced though.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere first season.

"Yeah...we won...oh MOTHERFUCKER!"

This show is show damn crazy. And the lead is a loveable asshole pervert. Only in anime folks...only in anime can you have a good hearted pervert. I wonder how the second season will be paced though.

Only a few more days, unless crunchyrol is doing late cast again. Im hyped...also hope Sentai reveals the dub cast.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Holy shit I missed the first part of this thread.

I'm resisting making a School Days [OT] on gaming.

Joule

Yuru Yuri S2 1
cnCYk.jpg

What will I do with you kittens~
Akari-sama is the bestest. It was a fun reentry into the series. Everything felt quite spot on. The jokes were funny and the pace was smooth. The yuri quota was met and then some (even if it was mostly a sad delusion). The OP from the first season was catchier but this one is fine too.

Chinatsu's hair is a demon.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri S2 1

Akari-sama is the bestest. It was a fun reentry into the series. Everything felt quite spot on. The jokes were funny and the pace was smooth. The yuri quota was met and then some (even if it was mostly a sad delusion). The OP from the first season was catchier but this one is fine too.

Chinatsu's hair is a demon.

cCuOe.gif

icecream

Public Health Threat
I'm resisting making a School Days [OT] on gaming.
Go with what your heart tells you.

Wait - there is an ending though?
It's just not the "last episode" iirc.
The manga has a 'real' ending (although it's a bit messy). The anime however pretends and then completely drops off at the last episode and leaves things in continuance.

Which is why we need a third season!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But...
nothing was resolved in the end. Most of the last episodes was filled with people acting dumb for the drama and then we get a timeskip and a lame attempt to smooth things over with a final performance.
Could this have been pulled off successfully with 24 episodes? Probably, but you have to make the best with what you're given. With perhaps a few minor changes, they could have ended the series at the events of episode 7, spreading the events of the previous episodes out to fill a full 11/12 episodes and smooth over the crazy pacing, and I'd have been quite satisfied.

Was there really a lack of resolution, though? I wasn't happy with what happened, but complete relationship collapse/everyone going their separate ways is a valid end, even if unsatisfying. The entire series was a continual cycle of separation and reunion/fighting and making up, so the final scene in the church didn't just feel like a cheap attempt to sweep the bad ending under the rug to me. It was hokey and improbable, but I don't think that it was insincere.
Ultimately, I think I'm okay with the series essentially being a bell curve of happiness for the main characters.

I know that "episode seven should have been the climax" is a popular opinion and there's nothing to indicate that it wouldn't have worked as an ending, but I think that it would have been difficult to pull off a triumphant "bros forever" ending for Kaoru and Sentarou and a resolution to the love triangle at the same time. That grand affirmation of their friendship relied on the nature of their relationships with Ritsuko remaining undefined, and an alteration in that character dynamic would have altered the nature of their musical performance in turn, potentially making it unrealistically happy. I'm not a fan of triangles remaining unresolved, so while "episode seven end + no romantic resolution" is probably the best ending that the show could have hoped for from an objective narrative standpoint, it's not what I would have personally wanted. However, had there been a greater emphasis on jazz than romance, that kind of ending would have been perfect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The manga has a 'real' ending (although it's a bit messy). The anime however pretends and then completely drops off at the last episode and leaves things in continuance.

Which is why we need a third season!
Well,
I figured the flash forward to the future where they say goodbye to each other is the "real" ending. I'm surprised to hear that there's an actual ending though and I'm not sure if I'd want to see it since I thought that the ending we got was pretty classy...

I figure that a S3 will never happen though, which is why they "ended it" the way they did.

Was there really a lack of resolution, though? I wasn't happy with what happened, but complete relationship collapse/everyone going their separate ways is a valid end, even if unsatisfying. The entire series was a continual cycle of separation and reunion, so the final scene in the church didn't just feel like a cheap attempt to sweep the bad ending under the rug to me. It was hokey and improbable, but I don't think that it was insincere.
Ultimately, I think I'm okay with the series essentially being a bell curve of happiness for the main characters.

I know that "episode seven should have been the climax" is a popular opinion and there's nothing to indicate that it wouldn't have worked as an ending, but I think that it would have been difficult to pull off a triumphant "bros forever" ending for Kaoru and Sentarou and a resolution to the love triangle at the same time. That grand affirmation of their friendship relied on the nature of their relationships with Ritsuko remaining undefined, and an alteration in that character dynamic would have altered the nature of their musical performance in turn, potentially making it unrealistically happy. I'm not a fan of triangles remaining unresolved, so while "episode seven end + no romantic resolution" is probably the best ending that the show could have hoped for, it's not what I would have personally wanted. However, had there been a greater emphasis on jazz than romance, that kind of ending would have been perfect.

You know, the weirdest thing about the romance in the show is that
how Ritsuko goes from rejecting Kaoru to falling in love with him is just strange. I just find it odd that the two side characters probably got the better deal when it comes to their romance... even their train moment was better.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Well,
I figured the flash forward to the future where they say goodbye to each other is the "real" ending. I'm surprised to hear that there's an actual ending though and I'm not sure if I'd want to see it since I thought that the ending we got was pretty classy...
Well
that scene was going nicely up until the part where we are pulled out of the fantasy and realize we were just viewing another of his fantasizations. Then the episode goes to repeat the same time travelling spice gag as the first episode, making some sort of statement about time travelling and repetitive cycles or another.

The thing is the story still had a lot to resolve, and that is why the series felt lacking. But dropping series at incomplete endings is nothing new for Shaft...

I figure that a S3 will never happen though, which is why they "ended it" the way they did.
One can always dream though >_<

Heroman 4

I hope Joey Jones gets some powers, this episode was intense.
When that ball put out all those spikes and then when Heroman was telling Joey not to give up
was all so epic.

Joey kind of sounds like Marika from Mouretsu Pirates, and PSY definitely sounds like Shouma from Penguindrum or even Kise from Kuroko, nice.

Binbougami ga! 1

This completely met my high expectations. That quick pace, that sharp comedic timing, that perfect nailing of the tone, that glorious Hamauzu music, it's all so goooooood.

The Gintama comparisons are obvious, but this also gave me strong Fumoffu vibes, which is certainly also a good thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You know, the weirdest thing about the romance in the show is that
how Ritsuko goes from rejecting Kaoru to falling in love with him is just strange. I just find it odd that the two side characters probably got the better deal when it comes to their romance... even their train moment was better.

I watch virtually no romance anime so I'm terrible at discerning when
this kind of fickle behavior is just supposed to be confused and irrational adolescent passion and when it's just bad writing.
Since this is anime, it's probably best to automatically assume the latter unless explicitly indicated otherwise.

Yurika and Jun's storyline was pretty unnecessary on the whole, but I have to admit that I liked how it resolved. Seeing Kaoru not reach out to Ritsuko on the train and then flashing forward eight years to him seeing Yurika happy while he's miserable kind of speaks volumes, no?

Not to imply that Ritsuko would have been impulsive enough to actually elope with Kaoru or anything, of course.

Hnngazawa + ojousama + glorious silver hair + funny bitchiness = bestgirl

Ojousamas are snobby bitches that 90% of the time play off of the humor of other characters.

Let's count the reasons Momiji is awesome

.Fantastic and unique design
.Her very existence is misfortune, thus making her endearing
.Despite the misfortune, she don't give a shit
.The source of (good) reference humor
.Hasn't bathed in centuries
.WEARS OVERALLS!

I retain the belief that Sakura is only a good character because the rest of the absolutely amazing cast brings it out of her. Not saying that's a bad approach because it isn't. Just that were the rest of the cast shitty, she would be as hateful as Medaka.

On the other hand, Momiji is funny on her own, not needing to rely on a foil even if it does make her more amusing.

But both are vital parts of the series and I wouldn't want either one to go away.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 15
Not sure where you found the guy to do that.
Random stuff, pool jokes and middle school jokes. I liked the last set of jokes if anything as it was a completely new setting so it was somewhat fresh.

Ultimadrago

Binbougami ga 1

Okay, I might have found my second comedy (it's the only other comedy series worth mentioning besides Jinrui this season anyways
okay maybe Moyashimon Returns too
).

I had some laughs, I didn't get bored. I'll keep watching as long as it's still entertaining.

Extra notes: The OP is not good, I will skip it from now on.

Let's count the reasons Momiji is awesome

.Fantastic and unique design
.Her very existence is misfortune, thus making her endearing
.Despite the misfortune, she don't give a shit
.The source of (good) reference humor
.Hasn't bathed in centuries
.WEARS OVERALLS!

I don't see how any of those are pluses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom