• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't see how any of those are pluses.

Not even "fantastic and unique character design"?

Something something "oh wait, K-On" something

I was quick to clarify because misunderstandings are how rumors get started.

No one here would be in a position to judge you. Not a single one. :p

Jinrui is a comedy?

A dark comedy, sure. This doesn't preclude it from having serious content mixed in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsu no Arashi
Well
that scene was going nicely up until the part where we are pulled out of the fantasy and realize we were just viewing another of his fantasizations. Then the episode goes to repeat the same time travelling spice gag as the first episode, making some sort of statement about time travelling and repetitive cycles or another.

The thing is the story still had a lot to resolve, and that is why the series felt lacking. But dropping series at incomplete endings is nothing new for Shaft...

One can always dream though >_<
See, I took that as the ending of the series,
even if it wasn't actually the ending or necessarily "real". To me, it just fit with the long term view of the show and where they will eventually - and inevitably - end up down the line. Yes, it the season ended up being a meditation on the premise of time travel (which was funny because it was around the same time that I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but I feel like there was a pay off to the central relationship and the themes expressed there.

Did the manga actually end by the time Shaft finished the series? If not, I can see how they could have ended the show they way they did anyway. That said, I still liked how it all ended up regardless.

Apollon
I watch virtually no romance anime so I'm terrible at discerning when
this kind of fickle behavior is just supposed to be confused and irrational adolescent passion and when it's just bad writing.
Since this is anime, it's probably best to automatically assume the latter unless explicitly indicated otherwise.

Yurika and Jun's storyline was pretty unnecessary on the whole, but I have to admit that I liked how it resolved. Seeing Kaoru not reach out to Ritsuko on the train and then flashing forward eight years to him seeing Yurika happy while he's miserable kind of speaks volumes, no?

Not to imply that Ritsuko would have been impulsive enough to actually elope with Kaoru or anything, of course.
So, without the benefit of reading the manga,
I'm assuming it's just bad writing. The author needed some contrivances, so they introduced them. That said, couples falling in love with each other at different times isn't any thing new either - it's just a matter of how it was presented in the anime that made it seem weird to me.

That's the funny thing, I feel like the complications all ended up with better arcs. Rock and Roll guy actually grew by the end, the two points of the love polygon ended up splintering into having their own exciting tryst... their characters went somewhere. What happened to the main characters was something that I just wasn't at all invested in.

So many good ships in Tsuritama.
yuki natsuki, yamada haru, yuki urura

It's all about Captain getting his lady.
Now that's one I can get behind.

Also, Tapioca!

A dark comedy, sure. This doesn't preclude it from having serious content mixed in.
It feels more like satire in that respect.

Andrew J.

Binbougami ga! 01

Everyone's been comparing this show to Gintama, but since I've never seen it I'll say instead that it reminds me of a more sedate Excel Saga.

(Fun fact about me: I will fucking cut anybody who has a single bad word to say about Excel Saga.)

Ichiko <3< Momiji is totally canon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Binbougami ga! 01

Everyone's been comparing this show to Gintama, but since I've never seen it I'll say instead that it reminds me of a more sedate Excel Saga.
Other than on the surface, it really doesn't compare that much to Gintama. (*shakes fist at cosmic*).

I would say Binbougami is what Sorachi would do if he wrote Ah my Goddess. I believe the comparisons hold water, but it's still different and fresh compared to Gintama.

I would say Binbougami is what Sorachi would do if he wrote Ah my Goddess. I believe the comparisons hold water, but it's still different and fresh compared to Gintama.

I agree, without being willing to commit to the AMG comparison. It's certainly different material from Gintama, but the way it handles that material is reminiscent of the other series.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bimbougami ED > OP

Did the manga actually end by the time Shaft finished the series? If not, I can see how they could have ended the show they way they did anyway. That said, I still liked how it all ended up regardless.

The manga was mostly finished by the time that the series aired, but not entirely.

So, without the benefit of reading the manga,
I'm assuming it's just bad writing. The author needed some contrivances, so they introduced them. That said, couples falling in love with each other at different times isn't any thing new either - it's just a matter of how it was presented in the anime that made it seem weird to me.

That's the funny thing, I feel like the complications all ended up with better arcs. Rock and Roll guy actually grew by the end, the two points of the love polygon ended up splintering into having their own exciting tryst... their characters went somewhere. What happened to the main characters was something that I just wasn't at all invested in.

Sounds like the safer assumption.
It's not like vacillating between friendzone and love is something that doesn't exist in real life; I just would have liked to have seen Kaoru actively work to redeem himself in Ritsuko's eyes rather than a spontaneous change of heart on her part.

Maybe this can serve as an important life lesson. Always strive to be a problem in the life of someone more complex and important than you, and you'll ultimately find happiness.

wonzo

Banned
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1

natsuyuki1.jpg
natsuyuki1a.jpg

Awesome, another gosei noitaminA show. I guess this'll end up being the last one for a while so I'm gonna enjoy this one as much as I can. :(

dat short hair

After the Persona 4 Golden OP and this, I'm starting to get a feeling you don't like catchy happy songs :(

The Binbougami OP owns but I don't see what the bad P4G OP has to do with it.

flawfuls

Binbougami ga! 01

How is Vegeta unfortunate? They should stayed consistent with Gintama's DBZ referenceolgy and used Yamcha!

icecream

Public Health Threat
See, I took that as the ending of the series
It was a nice cap to that relationship, but weren't the other plotlines still unresolved?
Like Kaja's finally finding out the truth about the teacher? Or the whole meaning behind why they can travel? It's been so long, so not really sure...

The manga ended 9 months or so after the series, so that could be possible. But my interpretation was always that they left it slightly open so they could put another season in once more material was out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The manga was mostly finished by the time that the series aired, but not entirely.
So we got something awesome instead! Especially since they had to wrap it up with with they had to work with.

Sounds like the safer assumption.
It's not like vacillating between friendzone and love is something that doesn't exist in real life; I just would have liked to have seen Kaoru actively work to redeem himself in Ritsuko's eyes rather than a spontaneous change of heart on her part.

Maybe this can serve as an important life lesson. Always strive to be a problem in the life of someone more complex and important than you, and you'll ultimately find happiness.
You only need to
wait 8 years for it to pay off!

Articalys

Some or all of the points below may have already been stated over and over in discussion, but I don't feel like going back to check.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1

I would be lying if I said I wasn't hearing Houtarou narrate everything. Thanks a bunch, Yuuichi Nakamura and many weeks of Hyouka.

Anyway, overall positive impression for the first episode. Nice to see things moving along at a good pace. I wonder if Atsushi trolling the hell out of Hazuki will be a regular occurrence.

Also, hopefully someone stitches together that ending sequence picture soon. Very beautiful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was a nice cap to that relationship, but weren't the other plotlines still unresolved?
Like Kaja's finally finding out the truth about the teacher? Or the whole meaning behind why they can travel? It's been so long, so not really sure...
Yeah, it's been a while myself, but I feel like it was the central relationship that was really the heart of the series anyway. And the fact that
Hajime necessarily hooks up with Jun after they grow up!

The manga ended 9 months or so after the series, so that could be possible. But my interpretation was always that they left it slightly open so they could put another season in once more material was out.
That may be possible, but I get the impression that they didn't expect to do more. They wrapped up Arakawa decently as well, even though there was no real resolution there either.
I think Negima and Bakemono are the only shows they've done that have had proper, honest to god, not-split cour sequels?

That may be possible, but I get the impression that they didn't expect to do more. They wrapped up Arakawa decently as well, even though there was no real resolution there either.
I think Negima and Bakemono are the only shows they've done that have had proper, honest to god, not-split cour sequels?

SZS and Hidamari.

duckroll

The final announcement of the Sword of the Stranger 5th Anniversary Project is:
a fan event at Loft/Plus One on the 25th of July featuring Masahiko Minami, Masahiro Ando, Hidetsugu Ito, and Shiho Takeuchi! They'll stand around and talk about boring shit about a 5 year old movie!!!!
HOLY SHIT THAT IS SO EXCITING! OMG!!!

Ultimadrago

The final announcement of the Sword of the Stranger 5th Anniversary Project is:
a fan event at Loft/Plus One on the 25th of July featuring Masahiko Minami, Masahiro Ando, Hidetsugu Ito, and Shiho Takeuchi! They'll stand around and talk about boring shit about a 5 year old movie!!!!
HOLY SHIT THAT IS SO EXCITING! OMG!!!

I didn't know what to expect, but...

I'm not satisfied!

Instro

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1

This was good. Really good in fact. It's nice to see a romcom cut to the heart of the matter so quickly
with the guy confessing in the first episode.
The characters have a very believable quality about them,
even with the ghost angle everything feels very natural.
I quite like the music selection during the episode, its very light and simple but works well to back up to what is happening on screen. Visually its nice, not much going on animation wise, but the backgrounds are detailed with lots of color, and the character designs are solid as well.

Looking forward to how this progresses, but so far so good. Love the OP and ED btw.

Branduil

You know, the weirdest thing about the romance in the show is that
how Ritsuko goes from rejecting Kaoru to falling in love with him is just strange. I just find it odd that the two side characters probably got the better deal when it comes to their romance... even their train moment was better.

It's not weird at all!
She doesn't start liking him until he gets attention from other girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom