• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought Saki was a :firehawk show? Why is it full of shameless fanservice?
Saki was never a :firehawk show; firehawk just happens to like Mahjong.
It's a firehawk show but not a :firehawk show. Capisce?
There are bits of :firehawk here and there, actually, in the story. Some characters are not happy about their need to part because of graduation, for instance. Of course given the yuri it might keep some of them together in the future, who knows, but there is at least a bit of it. It's not the central theme of the series, certainly, but there are bits of it present. But yeah, "firehawk happens to like mahjong" is probably the primary reason.
You guys know me all too well. :lol
It's definitely a guilty pleasure show because of the MJ. If it was about a real sport, (like RKB and basketball or Taishou Baseball Girls and... baseball) I wouldn't enjoy it it as much.

And there's :firehawk, but not really!
In the same way that Tsuritama could be a :cosmic shounen, except for the fact that the powering up is through fishing and not through fists.

Natsu no Arashi! Akinai-chu
End, MAJOR disappointment.
little by little the series built up the ending, then the 5 years later fake out, then nothing.
dude did finally get some salt though

Naruto Shippuden 269
tumblr_m6p5m09san1qfe17zo5_250.gif
tumblr_m6p5m09san1qfe17zo7_r1_250.gif

The new ending theme (22) was pretty good (konohamaru ftw), only real criticism is a lack of Sasuke, but I guess that is justified by the content of the arc at this point in time.

For the actual episode, just Darui and the two shinobi who capture people by the words of the gourd which was just as awesome as it was in the manga.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Bimbougami ga! 01:

Decently entertaining, though not personally in a laugh-out-loud way for me. Slapstick and screaming aren't really my thing, but it was slick, snappy, and absurd enough to make this a guaranteed season-long watch. I always like rude, indelicate female characters and Momiji excels in this regard.

For those still concerned about this being a "reference anime", there's nothing to fear. There were exactly three identifiable references in the episode and all were momentary and visual, not spoken. This is an actual comedy series.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 01
Decided to watch this on a whim with no real expectations for it and I liked it. It isn't really slow, not a big fan of the main character, but I am liking the dead husband and his banter. It still looks nice, fish eyes girl isn't that creepy and the music is nice. Yes, the OP and the ED is very nice.

Diablos54

Naruto Shippuden 269
tumblr_m6p5m09san1qfe17zo5_250.gif
tumblr_m6p5m09san1qfe17zo7_r1_250.gif

The new ending theme (22) was pretty good (konohamaru ftw), only real criticism is a lack of Sasuke, but I guess that is justified by the content of the arc at this point in time.

For the actual episode, just Darui and the two shinobi who capture people by the words of the gourd which was just as awesome as it was in the manga.
You mean positive, right? :p

Articalys

Binbougami ga! 1

Wow, that was actually incredible. I flipped through the first chapter a short while ago in preparation for this and they nailed everything spot-on, with just the right levels of comedy and seriousness. HanaKana and Yumi Uchiyama play off each other pretty well, and if they can keep up this pace and level of humor this will be a real winner.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 01

Decided to watch this on a whim with no real expectations for it and I liked it. It isn't really slow, not a big fan of the main character, but I am liking the dead husband and his banter. It still looks nice, fish eyes girl isn't that creepy and the music is nice. Yes, the OP and the ED is very nice.

Same reason I watched it. I like the main guy, though.

The Manager was surprisingly really cute when they went out to eat.

Ladies VS Butlers! 6
So she's pretending to be a guy because her father is a piece of shit and wants her to graduate as a guy? Well shit. The whole episode is basically from her perspective with her trying hard to disguise the fact that she's indeed a woman. Though with a flat chest like her, it's not too difficult, seeing as Hino saw her topless and didn't even bat an eye. In the end was pretty heart warming with her chance to dress up like a lady without actually being found out. And now it seems she has also fallen in love with Hino like many other girls. Fun episode overall.
7rkks.png

You say that like it was a bad thing.

faridmon

Kids on Slope Ep. 1 - 7

I think I will be flamed by saying this, but my impressions are quite mild on this one. It is a confusing one for me, since I love the atmosphere, the music and the theme of the series, but the art style, half of the characters and the romance situations keeps me feeling a bit iffy about this. I guess, for one, I will never like any story telling about a romantic relationship that comes from Japan since only few have kept me interested without cringing on how hopeless the characters are at talking to girls. I honestly can't remember when was the last time I have enjoyed those kind of stories (Toradora! I guess)

Too bad, because I love how the two main characters come together and play music. also, their interaction is quite heart warming and emotive in a more realistic way. However, when the other sex comes into play, they just fumble around and keep get themselves into awkward moments. At least the series is interesting enough to keep me engaging throughout.

I guess by now I am looked upon as the guy who hates good thing, but there you go.

Binbougami ga 1
tumblr_m6o0xoOVlU1qlu5jao1_500.gif

Ichiko Sakura is possibly at Medaka level of terribleness. I don't understand why these type of characters have to be present, they always ruin enjoyment of some decent moments. Ugh! The anime is somewhat watchable I guess, hopefully there is a side cast revealed and fleshed out soon or Ill probably just grow bored.

The action is decent, and I chuckled once or twice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Radical Galaxy Seafarers - END

i6RtRK7Hp2LFa.gif

Sad to see this end. One feels it could have gone on longer considering how long they spent introducing us to this world. Glad I stuck with it to the end.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Binbougami Ga - 01

This was amazing. Loving the two leads and the humor had me in stitches. Yuru Yuri has some competition!

Momiji is so childish, calling Ichiko "Thunder Tits". Pfft hahaha!

I haven't read the manga, but I'm looking forward to meeting the pink haired girl (Ranmaru?).

e_i

Just watched Moyashimon season 1. Silly, zany characters, a kind of stupid resolution
so he get's is ability back because bondage graduate student hugs him
, but all kinds of awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Natsu no Arashi! Akinai-chu
End, MAJOR disappointment.
little by little the series built up the ending, then the 5 years later fake out, then nothing.
dude did finally get some salt though
Wait - there is an ending though?
It's just not the "last episode" iirc.

----

Natsuyuki Rendezvous

SsnCfl.jpg

I thought this was going to be yet another sad sack friendzone anime, but
at least the guy grows at a pair the end. He even says NTR. :p

It feels like a fairly simple romcom though, but hey, at least it's not a bunch of high school kids being all teen-angsty.

Kazzy

Kids on Slope Ep. 1 - 7

I think I will be flamed by saying this, but my impressions are quite mild on this one. It is a confusing one for me, since I love the atmosphere, the music and the theme of the series, but the art style, half of the characters and the romance situations keeps me feeling a bit iffy about this.

Too bad, because I love how the two main characters come together and play music. also, their interaction is quite heart warming and emotive in a more realistic way. However, when the other sex comes into play, they just fumble around and keep get themselves into awkward moments. At least the series is interesting enough to keep me engaging throughout.

I guess by now I am looked upon as the guy who hates good thing, but there you go.

Not all, and I feel it's justified. I can certainly see why it could be deemed an acquired taste.

And you're right with that criticism, it becomes pretty obvious that half of the plot unfolds through pure happenstance. It does becomes a little too melodramatic in spots. It shines whenever it decides to focus on the blossoming bromance, and in turn the music.

Binbougami ga 1
tumblr_m6o0xoOVlU1qlu5jao1_500.gif

Ichiko Sakura is possibly at Medaka level of terribleness. I don't understand why these type of characters have to be present, they always ruin enjoyment of some decent moments. Ugh! The anime is somewhat watchable I guess, hopefully there is a side cast revealed and fleshed out soon or Ill probably just grow bored.

The action is decent, and I chuckled once or twice.

Your disdain for Medaka just makes me want to watch it even more.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous

It feels like a fairly simple romcom though, but hey, at least it's not a bunch of high school kids being all teen-angsty.

Like Ano Natsu?

I haven't gotten around to watching this episode yet, but unless the anime has drastically changed the tone, Natsuyuki doesn't seem very comedic to me.

Katapan

Neo Member
I dunno if anyone's posted anything about it yet (too tired to go back and check right now), but I'm just back from Day 1 of Japan Expo in Paris. There was notably a panel with Maruyama Masao - which I unfortunately missed due to horrible waiting queues - but from which a friend's provided me with the most interesting bits.

On Sakamichi no Apollon: He's mentioned that they knowingly went all out on the budget for the performance scenes. However, he is aware that they will not be making this money back (just why did you have to bomb, oldtaminA 2.0?), which is already not looking great for the studio's future. He said you shouldn't expect such animated scenes from MAPPA in the future.
Someone apparently also asked why they didn't make use of 2 cours to adapt the manga - he said people had told him from the beginning that even making just 2 episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon would be crazy, so getting one cour was already big enough of a gamble as it stands. Nothing too surprising here.

He's also tackled the issue of Yume Miru Kikai - how the production was really looking to be a big hurdle (people apparently overestimate the amount of work that'd been achieved before Kon's passing away, I don't know much about it myself), and how he still plans on giving his best on it. But he reminded people that he's now 70, and thinks he can still dedicate time in the next three years to work on it, but probably not more. He seemed pretty sad about it.

Finally, he wants to work on 8 1-hour long Pluto OVAs, as it'd be a nice way to end his career - beginning with Astro Boy, ending with another Tezuka work. But I don't remember whether my friend told me if this was actually a project in the works (it might be, considering how he's given precise details regarding the running time) or purely delusional. You might want to wait for a better report by someone who actually attended the talk, sorry!

Now I hope to make it on time for the Sunrise panel on Saturday. >_<

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 1

I love to start watching shows without knowing anything about it beforehand, haha. I went in thinking this was just another sad tale of unrequited love or something like that...
But there's also some kind of male Menma sticking around!

The show isn't particularly attractive visually (dat ugly CD door, ugh), but it's serviceable.

Sweet short-haired girl superiority.

This is another one I'll keep watching. The potential for drama seems pretty big.
And I have a thing for first episode confessions.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I dunno if anyone's posted anything about it yet (too tired to go back and check right now), but I'm just back from Day 1 of Japan Expo in Paris. There was notably a panel with Maruyama Masao - which I unfortunately missed due to horrible waiting queues - but from which a friend's provided me with the most interesting bits.

On Sakamichi no Apollon: He's mentioned that they knowingly went all out on the budget for the performance scenes. However, he is aware that they will not be making this money back (just why did you have to bomb, oldtaminA 2.0?), which is already not looking great for the studio's future. He said you shouldn't expect such animated scenes from MAPPA in the future.
Someone apparently also asked why they didn't make use of 2 cours to adapt the manga - he said people had told him from the beginning that even making just 2 episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon would be crazy, so getting one cour was already big enough of a gamble as it stands. Nothing too surprising here.

He's also tackled the issue of Yume Miru Kikai - how the production was really looking to be a big hurdle (people apparently overestimate the amount of work that'd been achieved before Kon's passing away, I don't know much about it myself), and how he still plans on giving his best on it. But he reminded people that he's now 70, and thinks he can still dedicate time in the next three years to work on it, but probably not more. He seemed pretty sad about it.

Finally, he wants to work on 8 1-hour long Pluto OVAs, as it'd be a nice way to end his career - beginning with Astro Boy, ending with another Tezuka work. But I don't remember whether my friend told me if this was actually a project in the works (it might be, considering how he's given precise details regarding the running time) or purely delusional. You might want to wait for a better report by someone who actually attended the talk, sorry!

Now I hope to make it on time for the Sunrise panel on Saturday. >_<

Did you catch the Namco Bandai event today?

If so how creepy were those Naruto costumes in person?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like Ano Natsu?

I haven't gotten around to watching this episode yet, but unless the anime has drastically changed the tone, Natsuyuki doesn't seem very comedic to me.
Yes, but Kanna
loses BIG TIME
, so that makes Ano Natsu worth it.
Friend-zone characters get exactly what they deserve!

As for whether or not it's a romcom, I mean, it's not exactly Ghost, but a love triangle between a ghost, a girl and a guy seems ripe for "hilarious" hijincks.

Depressing. Sounds like Mappa is already dead. At least we got those great performances out of them.

This is never going to happen.

I would love to see this, but again, I don't think this is going to happen. Why must reality be so cruel?

Thanks for the report, as sad as it is. I wish the industry was more aligned with Maruyama's desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom