• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

On Sakamichi no Apollon: He's mentioned that they knowingly went all out on the budget for the performance scenes. However, he is aware that they will not be making this money back (just why did you have to bomb, oldtaminA 2.0?), which is already not looking great for the studio's future. He said you shouldn't expect such animated scenes from MAPPA in the future.
Someone apparently also asked why they didn't make use of 2 cours to adapt the manga - he said people had told him from the beginning that even making just 2 episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon would be crazy, so getting one cour was already big enough of a gamble as it stands. Nothing too surprising here.

It sounds about right. I guess MAPPA is already dead :(

Perhaps they really should have made something commercially viable and then used that to back up their passion project.
Finally, he wants to work on 8 1-hour long Pluto OVAs, as it'd be a nice way to end his career - beginning with Astro Boy, ending with another Tezuka work. But I don't remember whether my friend told me if this was actually a project in the works (it might be, considering how he's given precise details regarding the running time) or purely delusional.

We'd all like certain things.

duckroll

I dunno if anyone's posted anything about it yet (too tired to go back and check right now), but I'm just back from Day 1 of Japan Expo in Paris. There was notably a panel with Maruyama Masao - which I unfortunately missed due to horrible waiting queues - but from which a friend's provided me with the most interesting bits.

On Sakamichi no Apollon: He's mentioned that they knowingly went all out on the budget for the performance scenes. However, he is aware that they will not be making this money back (just why did you have to bomb, oldtaminA 2.0?), which is already not looking great for the studio's future. He said you shouldn't expect such animated scenes from MAPPA in the future.
Someone apparently also asked why they didn't make use of 2 cours to adapt the manga - he said people had told him from the beginning that even making just 2 episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon would be crazy, so getting one cour was already big enough of a gamble as it stands. Nothing too surprising here.

He's also tackled the issue of Yume Miru Kikai - how the production was really looking to be a big hurdle (people apparently overestimate the amount of work that'd been achieved before Kon's passing away, I don't know much about it myself), and how he still plans on giving his best on it. But he reminded people that he's now 70, and thinks he can still dedicate time in the next three years to work on it, but probably not more. He seemed pretty sad about it.

Finally, he wants to work on 8 1-hour long Pluto OVAs, as it'd be a nice way to end his career - beginning with Astro Boy, ending with another Tezuka work. But I don't remember whether my friend told me if this was actually a project in the works (it might be, considering how he's given precise details regarding the running time) or purely delusional. You might want to wait for a better report by someone who actually attended the talk, sorry!

Now I hope to make it on time for the Sunrise panel on Saturday. >_<

Wow, thanks for posting stuff like this. Totally appreciated! Maruyama is a really energetic guy considering his age. Regarding the Pluto OVAs, that sounds really, really crazy. If MAPPA is indeed working on adapting the entire Pluto manga as a series of OVAs with a good director attached, I think Maruyama can retire happily knowing that he ended his career on a high note. Hopefully it pans out!

Binbougami-ga 1
Just saw the episode .. Even after watching all those gifs in the previous pages i was surprised enough and liked it .

the setting is different enough to hold my attention and the execution is very good ..If this show get momentum it'l be great

Moyashion Returns 01

This show is awesome, I can relate and enjoy most of the fermentation and agriculture jokes! I wish I had known about this show sooner, I'm off to find the first season now! :D

Natsuyuki Rendevouz 01

Wow, this looks like a promising show. A romance show that doesn't follow the typical tropes of high school romance garbage(ToraDora excluded). This seems to be aimed to be both realistic and believable(When you ignore the ghost parts atleast).

Jex

You know, the weirdest thing about the romance in the show is that
how Ritsuko goes from rejecting Kaoru to falling in love with him is just strange. I just find it odd that the two side characters probably got the better deal when it comes to their romance... even their train moment was better.

That's not too odd.
Ritsuko wasn't that interested in him but then he got super cool and popular so she ended up becoming interested in him.

wonzo

Banned
I dunno if anyone's posted anything about it yet (too tired to go back and check right now), but I'm just back from Day 1 of Japan Expo in Paris. There was notably a panel with Maruyama Masao - which I unfortunately missed due to horrible waiting queues - but from which a friend's provided me with the most interesting bits.

He's also tackled the issue of Yume Miru Kikai - how the production was really looking to be a big hurdle (people apparently overestimate the amount of work that'd been achieved before Kon's passing away, I don't know much about it myself), and how he still plans on giving his best on it. But he reminded people that he's now 70, and thinks he can still dedicate time in the next three years to work on it, but probably not more. He seemed pretty sad about it.

Finally, he wants to work on 8 1-hour long Pluto OVAs, as it'd be a nice way to end his career - beginning with Astro Boy, ending with another Tezuka work. But I don't remember whether my friend told me if this was actually a project in the works (it might be, considering how he's given precise details regarding the running time) or purely delusional. You might want to wait for a better report by someone who actually attended the talk, sorry!

Now I hope to make it on time for the Sunrise panel on Saturday. >_<
Thanks for the great post. Looks like MAPPA had a good run ;_;

Instro

Personally I felt that the serious moments were handled well and I was genuinely moved - not that they were a huge part of the episode anyway. I can't speak for what the ratio will be in the future, but it seems a crazy comedy above anything else to me.

I didn't like the way they it was interspersed with the comedy, its like wacky antics and then suddenly some heavy handed stuff.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 12 (End)

Wasn't expecting it to end like that, but, I must admit, I was smiling when they started playing together.

Defuser

I dunno man, Momiji dressing poorly represents her being misfortune while Ichiko dressing stylish and nice represent fortunate. Yin Yang

Makoto

Kannagi 2
iBPmKZc7c01Fy.png
iVLn78PIPKVZe.png
A very inconsistent episode in terms of animation. Body movement was very fluid between multiple entities in single shots but there was something about Nagi's eyes that the inbetweeners were having a hard time with.

Jex

It's just a passing thought, but it's interesting that Binbougami_ga! is the first show I've seen since Penguindrum to have Himari's desaturated eyelashes. By which I mean:

HimariEye.jpg

Binbougami_ga.jpg

It's just an element of visual style I haven't seen before or since.

duckroll

Okay, we have the first actual info about the Magi anime from the Aniplex producers who are working on it. They had a discussion with Otona Animedia Vol5, and fans in Japan have picked the magazine up. Some info from the article has been posted:

- The author herself is pretty involved in the production, and she also joined them on location hunting in the middle east. She also proposed changes to the story which would improve upon the original material.

- The director is someone who was chosen by the producer as someone who can write drama more than anything else.

- The anime adaptation will develop the story very quickly. Sinbad in particular will be introduced rather early, within a few episodes. The first priority in the story is to assemble The Eight Generals of Sindaria.

- The main focus of the anime adaptation will be the Balbaad story arc. The manga author's specific request is that they do a good job with the climax because it is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom