• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I disagree with it being fan service as this is what the show should have been about from the get go. As a sequel, unless it's a FF-style sequel, it should address and connect to the prior series in some manner. You might say it's fan service in the most general possible manner in that people have been wanting this but by that standard you could include a lot of things under that 'fanservice' definition.

You can do a sequel that isn't fanservice though - shows that rely on producing new content rather than choreographing the return of old content. Bakemono to Nisemono, as an example (yes, it has fanservice, but not the "remember this thing from last season?" type of fanservice).

But, I don't even mind that kind of fanservice since I was enraptured with Saki A. That type of service is a reward for being a fan of the franchise and that's fine. It's like Conrad showing up in every ME game, culminating with his ridiculous moment in ME3. It's just that the rest of the show doesn't work for me on that level, so I have no emotional investment in being... serviced.

----
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
mUB80l.jpg

I really have no idea what this show is about, but I do know that it is pretty horrible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't really connect to the events, on an emotional level at least, because the characters in this show are a bit weird and everything that's going odd is rather above and beyond every day human experiences.

When Ao was being bullied by stupid racist island folk at least we could connect with him because most of us have probably have to deal with stupid, billgerent folk at some point in our lives.

When Ao ponders the mystery of his origin and his being we lack the same frame of reference. I actually think RahXephon handled this better.
Yeah, I agree. It's like when they went into fake-Misato's origin story in that episode from a couple of weeks ago all so they can name drop the name of the team and explain why they're the Pied Pipers.

There's nothing wrong with that story in theory, but the way it was presented was just... well, it was like reading the Wikipedia entry on the characters.

Intellectually, I can understand why
Ao would react with a blush when an older woman randomly hugs him and tells him to call her "Mama". Like, in my head, that makes perfect sense. But the way it actually happens on screen doesn't allow me to identify with any of the characters in that situation on a human level.

Do you mean the events of the entire series or the events at the end of episode twelve specifically? If you mean the latter, I was at least able to emotionally connect with that in the sense of "
FINALLY, what I've been hoping would happen for the entire show is happening, some actual good characters have arrived which means less time devoted to side characters I don't care about, etc etc.
"

I suppose that also plays into your argument that these events constituted fanservice. The events that transpired excited me instantly on sight, even in the lack of any indication of whether or not these particular developments will actually help the story. "HEY, it's [x character]!" is a basic form of fanservice.
Fanservice shouldn't exist in a vacuum though. Because otherwise, what's the point of the new show's existence in the first place?

That is chocolate? Guess Ill check this anime out.
Well, good luck with that. :p

It was pretty well paced for a while too, until about the point he got the Soul Badge, then it took him forever to get the next badge.
It just got even worse after that.

Blame the show for getting mega popular. The only reason it was so well paced at the start was cause they weren't show how long it would last, so they had to keep the story well going.

Kazzy

S1 filler was best filler. Sandshrew gym, Kaz and Yaz rivalry, Primeape boxing, the School of Hard Knocks, Misty's fashion disaster, Rapidash racing, fuck yeah awesome.

I remember them all!

There wasn't much difference between the filler in fairness, but I was still naive enough not to know the difference.

I even ate up all the Orange League episodes.
That stupid GS ball!

Jarmel

Banned
Most of that stuff was, as you yourself point out, rather vague and minor (beyond the flashbacks last episode). The climax of this episode was literally about pulling out the big guns and directly bringing them to play in the story - it's a whole different ball game.

Exactly though, it's a culmination up to this point. Saying it's fanservice degrades it from being a crucial plot point, which it is. This was always going to be addressed and now it looks like it will be.

You can do a sequel that isn't fanservice though - shows that rely on producing new content rather than choreographing the return of old content. Bakemono to Nisemono, as an example (yes, it has fanservice, but not the "remember this thing from last season?" type of fanservice).

But, I don't even mind that kind of fanservice since I was enraptured with Saki A. That type of service is a reward for being a fan of the franchise and that's fine. It's like Conrad showing up in every ME game, culminating with his ridiculous moment in ME3. It's just that the rest of the show doesn't work for me on that level, so I have no emotional investment in being... serviced.

Funny you mention Nise as atleast the first couple of episodes was Ararararagi(oops) touring around visiting all the girls. That was definitely a "hey do you remember these characters and why you love them" bit. Also the -gatari stories in general are more stand-alone. I understand what you're saying but this was always going to tie into the original to some extent. I mean the main character is the son of one of the romantic pairings in the original. There was a very small time skip too, unlike say Korra. It would have been just flat out plain bad writing if they never discussed why that world is fundamentally different than the original E7.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funny you mention Nise as atleast the first couple of episodes was Ararararagi(oops) touring around visiting all the girls. That was definitely a "hey do you remember these characters and why you love them" bit. Also the -gatari stories in general are more stand-alone. I understand what you're saying but this was always going to tie into the original to some extent. I mean the main character is the son of one of the romantic pairings in the original. There was a very small time skip too, unlike say Korra. It would have been just flat out plain bad writing if they never discussed why that world is fundamentally different than the original E7.

Well, even though I never watched the original Last Exile and I thought at times the
new Last Exile: Silver Wing was just stupid, it never really hinged on the fanservice. They brought back the old characters at various points throughout the series, but as someone who had no knowledge of the original, I was still invested enough in some of the new characters that it didn't matter if the fanservice moments were completely lost on me.

Heck, same with Korra. I have no clue who Toph and Aang and these people are, but that doesn't matter because Korra is a character in her own right.

Like I said though, I don't have any real problem with fanservice. I would be a hypocrite if I said I did. I just think the fanservice in Eureka AO has been negatively effected by the show at large.

Why are you watching smut?
You want smut? Click on the link that posted after that!

BosSin

Hoooo-lyyyy shittttt.....

Ok, I have been keeping up with Naruto for a while now because it's quite entertaining even if the story has become a tangled mess. Up until now hundreds of characters have been introduced, each with some wild powers and whatever. But I have been ok with it, mainly because the show tries to give some back story as to why they have this weird ass power or whatever.

Lately though there has been some weird ass shit happening and I think my patience has worn thin. I mean, I was able to endure the introduction of a rapping octopus and a dude that could break down anything into particles.

But after I watched this week's episode, that's it. I can't accept this. This is just plain old stupid. There was no explanation behind this. I mean, you expect me to accept that there are two guys whose powers rely on finding out which word someone uses most and then defeat them once it is uttered...

That's beyond fucking stupid. Add to this the fact that they have the powers of the Nine Tails for some shitty reason... I just dunno, fuck it. I give up. I actually had to check the internet to see if this was a filler, at least that way there is some justification behind it. But no, I guess the writer of the manga is just fed up and wants to see how much dumb shit can be added before the series just dies.

Ok, I have been keeping up with Naruto for a while now because it's quite entertaining even if the story has become a tangled mess. Up until now hundreds of characters have been introduced, each with some wild powers and whatever. But I have been ok with it, mainly because the show tries to give some back story as to why they have this weird ass power or whatever.

Lately though there has been some weird ass shit happening and I think my patience has worn thin. I mean, I was able to endure the introduction of a rapping octopus and a dude that could break down anything into particles.

But after I watched this week's episode, that's it. I can't accept this. This is just plain old stupid. There was no explanation behind this. I mean, you expect me to accept that there are two guys whose powers rely on finding out which word someone uses most and then defeat them once it is uttered...

That's beyond fucking stupid. Add to this the fact that they have the powers of the Nine Tails for some shitty reason... I just dunno, fuck it. I give up. I actually had to check the internet to see if this was a filler, at least that way there is some justification behind it. But no, I guess the writer of the manga is just fed up and wants to see how much dumb shit can be added before the series just dies.

Why would anything in the war arc be filler? They even explained how the two characters were bathed in the nine tails jutsu. The arc picks up swiftly though, dont doubt our Kishimoto-san.

bloke

Natsuyuki Rendezvous
ss14G.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Airs Friday: 1:15 AM
Director: Kou Matsuo
Studio: Dogakobo
Streaming: Crunchyroll
Lol at that OP comment since this ended up being the only good show of the season so far...and well Tari Tari was kinda semi watchable aswell...

survivor

Banned

Oh boy, be prepared cause it gets even dumber after that. The manga has gotten even stupider for the past year so it's gonna be rough for anime viewers.

BosSin

Why would anything in the war arc be filler? They even explained how the two characters were bathed in the nine tails jutsu. The arc picks up swiftly though, dont doubt our Kishimoto-san.

Yes, but the explanation was half assed. It's like he just thought, "Oh I dunno, they were swallowed by it. Fuck it that'll do".

Blame the show for getting mega popular. The only reason it was so well paced at the start was cause they weren't show how long it would last, so they had to keep the story well going.

I know. Having May/Dawn really did helped the later series by making it less filler-y with their contests, but the fucking Johto league was brutally boring.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, even though I never watched the original Last Exile and I thought at times the
new Last Exile: Silver Wing was just stupid, it never really hinged on the fanservice. They brought back the old characters at various points throughout the series, but as someone who had no knowledge of the original, I was still invested enough in some of the new characters that it didn't matter if the fanservice moments were completely lost on me.

Heck, same with Korra. I have no clue who Toph and Aang and these people are, but that doesn't matter because Korra is a character in her own right.

Like I said though, I don't have any real problem with fanservice. I would be a hypocrite if I said I did. I just think the fanservice in Eureka AO has been negatively effected by the show at large.

I actually would argue that the flashbacks in Korra aren't fanservice as they're crucial to the plot. The statues would definitely be fanservice. I would say anything that ties into the narrative in a meaningful way isn't inherently fanservice.

AO's main problem other than the stilted dialogue has been the tone. The tone has been all over the damn place and that's something that Raphxenon excelled at. I actually wonder if that is because OG E7 was a kid's show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru
kwZxil.jpg

Harem-shit is still harem-shit.

Also, that truck scene made absolutely no sense.

I actually would argue that the flashbacks in Korra aren't fanservice as they're crucial to the plot. The statues would definitely be fanservice. I would say anything that ties into the narrative in a meaningful way isn't inherently fanservice.

AO's main problem other than the stilted dialogue has been the tone. The tone has been all over the damn place and that's something that Raphxenon excelled at. I actually wonder if that is because OG E7 was a kid's show.
Just because they're crucial to the plot doesn't mean it can't be fanservice either. They're not mutually exclusive.

And AO has a myriad of problems... tone, character, plot... heck, the script in general.

BosSin

Thinking about it even more. It's hilarious that these tools which find your most used word are linked to the six paths of pain. I mean wtf! These dumb ass weapons are meant to be some of the most powerful tools in the ninja world.

Fucking Bullshit

Kazzy

It was pretty well paced for a while too, until about the point he got the Soul Badge, then it took him forever to get the next badge.

You're not kidding, the Koga battle was episode 32, and Ash had his final Pokemon league battle in episode 80 (Richie was so lame).

Gary getting destroyed in the early rounds was a nice surprise though.

Looking through the episode list is making me realise how awful UK channels were for airing Pokemon. I must have seen the same dozen or so episodes multiple times, but I have never seen the likes of the Erika Gym battle.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fanservice shouldn't exist in a vacuum though. Because otherwise, what's the point of the new show's existence in the first place?

Hey, if the eventual purpose of E7AO is simply to serve as a vehicle by which characters and concepts from the original series can eventually be introduced for a few episodes, I'll take it! :p

I'm not sure what would constitute fanservice existing in a vacuum, though. It always has to be integrated somehow, and when it gets to the point that it's no longer just cool reference-making but something more integral to the work in which it appears, it's no longer fanservice anyway.

I remember them all!

There wasn't much difference between the filler in fairness, but I was still naive enough not to know the difference.

I even ate up all the Orange League episodes.
That stupid GS ball!

If enough people were interested, I would totally be up for a (slow) joint rewatch through the end of Orange Islands. I don't think I've even seen an old episode of Pokemon in the majority of a decade, and I'm interested to know if it still holds up.

Post Red and Blue arc episodes are filler. First 151 4 lyfe!

This kind of statement would get you crucified on gaming side, but you're right :p

Nostalgia bomb. My friend had that on VHS and we watched it all the time.

Remember when Ash thought that Metapod had died? Fuckin' sad, man. And then the show brings him back only to slap us with Bye Bye Butterfree not too long after that.

Accel World 13
tumblr_m6rd9ddpWU1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Nega Nebulous is an actually awesome name for a legion name. Taku had some great scenes. I do wish Taku can get on the upper end sometime
winning for once, though that was pretty cheap of Nomi, who actually seems cool, to cause Taku to lose in the simple match :/

Citron Bell is kind of nice
Lime Bell seems perfect for a healer role

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, if the eventual purpose of E7AO is simply to serve as a vehicle by which characters and concepts from the original series can eventually be introduced for a few episodes, I'll take it! :p

I'm not sure what would constitute fanservice existing in a vacuum, though. It always has to be integrated somehow, and when it gets to the point that it's no longer just cool reference-making but something more integral to the work in which it appears, it's no longer fanservice anyway.

Nyarko, for example. The Big Bang Theory... Community... Family Guy... the list goes on.

You're not kidding, the Koga battle was episode 32, and Ash had his final Pokemon league battle in episode 80 (Richie was so lame).

In the Koga battle, Ash uses Charmander. In the Blaine battle, he uses Charizard.
Just forget the fact that he had a Charmeleon for like 3 or so episodes total...
The gap between the 2 gym battles was aggravating to my younger self.
This kind of statement would get you crucified on gaming side, but you're right :p

For shame you two.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Nyarko, for example. The Big Bang Theory... Community... Family Guy... the list goes on.

References =! fanservice to me, though! True fanservice has to have some kind of relation to the work in which it's in, such as referencing an earlier work in a series, another work by that author/director/etc. It's a reward for the continued support of the consumer.

I know. Having May/Dawn really did helped the later series by making it less filler-y with their contests, but the fucking Johto league was brutally boring.

Contests were miserable experiences in the games so I can only imagine how they translated to the anime. Blatant attempt to get more girls interested in Pokemon through all of the grooming features and shit.

and all of the girls after Misty sucked anyway so I guess any further discussions about contests are moot anyway

firehawk12

Subete no aware
References =! fanservice to me, though! True fanservice has to have some kind of relation to the work in which it's in, such as referencing an earlier work in a series, another work by that author/director/etc. It's a reward for the continued support of the consumer.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I suppose Rebuild of Eva is basically "in universe" fanservice in a vacuum. :p

Or heck, Pocketful of Rainbows... or the two MacF movies. lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Blood+ 46-50 -END-

I've been holding these four episodes off since they were originally aired back in... Hell, 2006, was it? I don't know why, either. I just never got around to watching them.

After all these years, going back to it was kinda weird. I didn't recall the overly cheap Production I.G feeling it had, haha. But still, I enjoyed the finale.
Pretty much the happiest outcome possible - although 100% predictable. My only complaints would be: 1 - None of Diva's Chevaliers never made any sense and were just plain stupid; 2 - The "giving birth weakened her blood" plot twist was terrible and unnecessary.

I'll always remember the amazing episode 17. That thing blew my mind back then. So good.

Best Saya. So goddamn sexy.

Kazzy

In the Koga battle, Ash uses Charmander. In the Blaine battle, he uses Charizard.
Just forget the fact that he had a Charmeleon for like 3 or so episodes total...
The gap between the 2 gym battles was aggravating to my younger self.

They were also out of sequence, weren't they? I seem to remember the Sabrina battle being really early on.

And Ash never keeping his best Pokemon was always my main gripe. He just gave the things away...

It still hurts.

Contests were miserable experiences in the games so I can only imagine how they translated to the anime. Blatant attempt to get more girls interested in Pokemon through all of the grooming features and shit.

and all of the girls after Misty sucked anyway so I guess any further discussions about contests are moot anyway

Contests got a lot better in Sinnoh compared to Hoenn. Mostly cause the writers actually got the hang of writing them more exciting instead of random wtfs. Actually Hoenn had some wtf gym battles as well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Misty sucked. May 4 lyfe!

We can never, ever be friends.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I suppose Rebuild of Eva is basically "in universe" fanservice in a vacuum. :p

Or heck, Pocketful of Rainbows... or the two MacF movies. lol

"Fan"service considering that it was targeted at people who liked Eva for all the wrong reasons, amirite?

I'm kind of an asshole.

Crucified? I was mimicking what the average GAFfer posts whenever a discussion about Pokemon designs comes up.

Oops. I've been outed as a contemptible POKEMON NOSTALGIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom