• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that so, hosannainexcelsis? What happened to the tsu ri ta ma love? That series still needs you!

I don't feel like it. :| Sorry.

The worst thing about this is that everything is ugly now and it's still going to bomba.

Moyashimon S1 sold fairly decently (8,492 average). I imagine this change will only hurt the new season's chances amongst those fans of the original who might have been inclined to buy it.

Jex

Moyashimon Returns 01:

In response to some criticism of the change in art style, I found the character designs to be ever so slightly streamlined and not even something I can really notice unless I'm actively paying attention to it. It's not significant enough to impact my enjoyment.

I found it extremely noticeable and I haven't seen the original show in several years.

It's a painful downgrade because they kind of used to look more humanish than cartoonish.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I found it extremely noticeable and I haven't seen the original show in several years.

It's a painful downgrade because they kind of used to look more humanish than cartoonish.

Hey, I already went back on that statement!

I need to stop watching anime at 3AM when I can barely keep my eyes open

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Come on, we are talking about a whole generation (from both genders) of now adults, things like obvious pandering or fan-service ain't gonna fly with such a general public, right?

... right?

I don't think my passion for this hobby can survive a fanservice-y Sailor Moon show.

Jex

I think some of it is taken out of context a little. There's a better article which has quotes from the event itself: http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/movie/2014017/full/

What they've said is that this is a series, not a movie, and that they do not want to disappoint long time fans who have grown up with the franchise and are now adults. So they are going to POWER UP the new anime compared to the previous works (higher production values?). They also confirm plans on a worldwide release next Summer.

That's an interesting idea because by the time the Sailor Moon franchise was wrapping up on TV the animation was getting pretty darn good.

7Th

Toei has never done a TV show with high production values, though. Aren't they the only studio with an actual "key-frame limit" per episode?

Jex

It really is a shame because one of the defining features of the original show was how the art style helped it to stand out from the crowd.

I assume these new designs are easier to draw, or something, because I can't think of any other reason to make this kind of change.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with changing a shows character designs. It's just when you change them to look like crud.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Moyashimon S1 sold fairly decently (8,492 average). I imagine this change will only hurt the new season's chances amongst those fans of the original who might have been inclined to buy it.

It's a miracle that the first season even sold numbers like those to begin with, so lower numbers are somewhat of a given in light of the negative changes. I suppose this really is the last gasp of NewoldtaminA.

Jex

A lot of shows last season would kill to have those kinds of sales. What a sad state of affairs.

well, it still lacks any of the heart that the original had
and I know you already didnt like that one, so it might be crap from your perspective
I don't hate the original series, and I don't think it's crap. Eureka Seven is a very flawed series. I enjoyed it, which is partly why I am so critical of it. It certainly has more integrity than other series.
Breaking news: At the Sailor Moon 20th Anniversary event on right now, they announced that there will be a new Sailor Moon anime released in 2013. Momoiro Clover is doing the theme song.
Interesting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
http://kotochawan.com/main/blog.php?itemid=1581

Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi) confirms on her blog that she will be reprising her role in the new Sailor Moon series. She also adds that the enemy this time is not the Dark Kingdom.

Does this confirm that it's not a straight adaptation of the manga?

I vote for an all-star villain ensemble.
Queen Beryl, Wiseman, Dr. Tomoe, and whoever comes after that!

A lot of shows last season would kill to have those kinds of sales.

That would have been the difference between life and death for MAPPA :|

Theonik

Upotte! 1
iWfZ8TgRbtepw.png
And to think I survived AKB 10, this show is sure to get me. Been interesting so far. I feel being a somewhat of a gun otaku certainly enhances the experience on this one as getting the gun jokes can be crucial to the show's often cheesy humour. Though it also can cause rolling of eyes in other situations.
Upotte! 2
14 is awesome, a true maiden. This was a decent episode, poor L though. She's just misunderstood. :( G3 and SIG are pretty cool. Also something something popping balloons something something.
Upotte! 3
inCf0PWqWkvyy.png

Being L is suffering
Kind of a boring episode but we did get a lot of gun puns again plus there was this.
iGyDhecrT7Xq0.png

Gee, I wonder where I heard that one before...
There was also another scene which I cannot show here as it would get me to join Cajun.

A lot of shows last season would kill to have those kinds of sales. What a sad state of affairs.

There really is no hope for this industry anymore. Well, considering economic and cultural factors, there's no hope for Japan or even the world at large, so I guess it only makes sense.

7Th

Reminds me of the switch in designs in Kurenai when the OVAs started coming out.

That was a lot more understandeable: the Kurenai TV anime was adapting the novel and the OVAs were adapting the manga. In Moyashimon's case, they're both supposed to be adapting the same manga.

Jex

That would have been the difference between life and death for MAPPA :|
Now now, he didn't say MAPPA were dead.

He just said that, whatever they animated next would not be able to have the same production values as Kids on the Slope.

Oh, and that they were resigned to losing money Kids on the Slope. Which is a shame because, while I think the series has problems I still liked it overall. It's certainly better than lots of stuff that's sold 10,000+ copies.

Instro

http://kotochawan.com/main/blog.php?itemid=1581

Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi) confirms on her blog that she will be reprising her role in the new Sailor Moon series. She also adds that the enemy this time is not the Dark Kingdom.

Hmmm, hard to say what that could mean. Skipping the first arc entirely, original storyline, or just replacing the Dark Kingdom. I suppose the Dark Kingdom has received the most screen time when you consider the live action show as well.

Ultimadrago

Upotte! 1

And to think I survived AKB 10, this show is sure to get me. Been interesting so far. I feel being a somewhat of a gun otaku certainly enhances the experience on this one as getting the gun jokes can be crucial to the show's often cheesy humour. Though it also can cause rolling of eyes in other situations.

Doing a marathon of Upotte! ?

C'mon, son.

Thoraxes

Binbougami - 01

Hamauzu-sama~
Hamauzu-sama~
Hamauzu-sama~

Oh yeah, also the show was good enough for me that i'll probably keep up with it too.

There really is no hope for this industry anymore. Well, considering economic and cultural factors, there's no hope for Japan or even the world at large, so I guess it only makes sense.
*pours one out for the anime industry* Hopefully it goes out with a bang, every studio producing something artsy/classy.

Jex

I didn't watch it.

the last season had so many coming-of-age animes, so I don't have the energy for another coming of age anime at the moment

I don't know if anyone in Tari Tari needs to 'come of age'. They all seem remarkably non-stupid at the moment. It's kind of the only thing the show has going for it!

You're starting to sound a little Miyazaki-ish!

If I've learned one thing by being here, it's that you should never be optimistic about anything.

Any industry that can produce something like Little Witch Academia has to be far from death.

I'm sure Trigger's first TV production, if they even manage to get one, will bomb horribly and end everyone's careers.

*pours one out for the anime industry* Hopefully it goes out with a bang, every studio producing something artsy.

Funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 12
The complete disregard for any sense of the laws of physics stands out prominently, further robbing the series of credibility and making it seem as though everything here is poorly planned out. When such simple things are ignored everything winds up feeling incredibly contrived. Dramatics come only with the absence of any logic. The show feels even more poorly designed when the plan of attack is always the same, which leaves the action scenes in the show feeling increasingly dull and meaningless. Instead the show takes the easy way out and relies on shock value revelations seemingly for people familiar with the original series.
Hey man, hair animation is HARD. So is clothes animation!
But yeah, I'm just watching the show as fan-service now. Because Star Trek is on my mind, for me it's become the "Enterprise" of the Eureka franchise now - just like that movie that no one wants to admit exists. It's not hatewatching like with The Killing or The Newsroom, because I still like the show in my own way. I guess it's cynicalwatching? lol

infinite shit 10

IS THERE NO END TO JUST HOW FUCKING SHITTY THIS FUCKING FUCKY SHOW CAN POSSIBLY FUCKING GET??? FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK
You're now in the worst part of the show. When they decide that it should have some shitty robots fighting because that's what nerds want. :(

The IS dub is glorious. It's one of the few times that shitty campy dubs actually work.

Soma

Chocolate Harem

- CG candy
- Beer on tap
- Every stereotypical anime girl archetype in one room
- Busty teacher advisor

Best school club ever.

Mystery Imouto Harem

Well aside from mysterious blackhole pantsu and quite possibly the weirdest/worst almost truck collision scene i've witnessed, that was painfully boring.

And that probably fulfills my generic harem anime quota for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom