• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 01
V51hu.jpg
I see he put points in the Panties Rain skill.

Also, dear show, please invest in some lights.

Yeah, generic. Sure, the premise sounds nice, but it's basically from one world with magic to another world with magic. So that's pretty boring. Not sure how much I want to keep watching.

At least's this world doesn't have random light censor flares.

Jex

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 12

E7AO122.jpg

Despite appearances, this series might be able to pull of it's death spiral

This episode was dangerously close to being okay because nearly every single scene was actually connected to the main plot of the episode. Okay, so there were like four other scenes that dealt with running sub-plots but it's still better than it's ever been before.
It's still strange at times, like the parts with
"Mama"
. For me, it's turned into a fan-fiction plot generator,
so when they have the Gekko show up, I guess I'm excited.
I still think one of the largest problems with the show is the actual dialogue. Something about the way these characters talk to each other feels so forced and unnatural. It feels like conversations are being written simply so that a character can (bluntly) explain a point or idea, rather than have any kind of natural banter develop between the characters.

Also, the way that Truth constantly abuses the laws of physics really pisses me off. Not because it's silly or anything, but because no-one ever comments on it or looks surprised that he has MAGICAL POWERS?

E7AO121.jpg

This episode also contained a lot of fanservice, in the classic sense of the world, so I imagine a lot of people enjoyed that.

The action scenes involving Ao engaging Secrets still sucks though.

Campione 1 (AKA God of War: The Harem)

That was up, then down, then up again, then somewhere between good and great when the ending happened. Gotta commend the protag for growing a pair in the very first episode, and not in the "omg i got new powers now" way but rather the "I'm a smug motherfucker that's going to take down a god" way.

I'll be sticking with this one for now.

Yi9He.jpg

Oh hai unlimited blade works

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Eureka Seven Ao] - 12
I still think one of the largest problems with the show is the actual dialogue. Something about the way these characters talk to each other feels so forced and unnatural. It feels like conversations are being written simply so that a character can (bluntly) explain a point or idea, rather than have any kind of natural banter develop between the characters.
It's because what they're actually doing isn't really conducive to anything but that kind of weird "talking at each other" style of dialog. So
Ao learning more about his mom becomes an infodump rather than some emotion event for the lead character.

Also, the way that Truth constantly abuses the laws of physics really pisses me off. Not because it's silly or anything, but because no-one ever comments on it or looks surprised that he has MAGICAL POWERS?
If I'm in apologist mode, I suppose that since they live in a world with scub coral and secrets, Truth is just another day at the office.

This episode also contained a lot of fanservice, in the classic sense of the world, so I imagine a lot of people enjoyed that.
It's weird. Thinking about it a bit, I'm left wondering why I'm marking out for Saki A's fanservice where I'm only intellectually excited by Eureka AO. Both are "cheap" in the sense that I should pop the moment that I understand the reference being made, but I only have an emotional response to one of the shows.

What happened at the end of 12 is huuuuuuuuge fanservice, but it did nothing for me because all I could think about was how strange everything leading up to that moment felt.

Jarmel

Banned
What happened at the end of 12 is huuuuuuuuge fanservice, but it did nothing for me because all I could think about was how strange everything leading up to that moment felt.

I disagree with it being fan service as this is what the show should have been about from the get go. As a sequel, unless it's a FF-style sequel, it should address and connect to the prior series in some manner. You might say it's fan service in the most general possible manner in that people have been wanting this but by that standard you could include a lot of things under that 'fanservice' definition.

It's from the creator of the highly acclaimed Accel World!

If this is the main reason then I need to play Russian Roulette with an automatic.

Jex

I disagree with it being fan service as this is what the show should have been about from the get go. As a sequel, unless it's a FF-style sequel, it should address and connect to the prior series in some manner. You might say it's fan service in the most general possible manner in that people have been wanting this but by that standard you could include a lot of things under that 'fanservice' definition.
Well, what you wanted or imagined the show to be and what it actually is may be quite different things.

As things stands, Eureka Seven Ao is hardly your classic 'sequel' because the manner in which it connects to the original is murky at best.

Therefore, as the show hasn't spent a lot of time pandering directly to fans of Eureka Seven the events that unfolded at the end of twelfth episode of Ao definetenly count as fanservice. It's kind of like certain events in Diebuster.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, what you wanted or imagined the show to be and what it actually is may be quite different things.

As things stands, Eureka Seven Ao is hardly your classic 'sequel' because the manner in which it connects to the original is murky at best.

Therefore, as the show hasn't spent a lot of time pandering directly to fans of Eureka Seven the events that unfolded at the end of twelfth episode of Ao definetenly count as fanservice.

They've definitely done a ton of pandering already. Eureka flashbacks, Eureka in the OP, vague references to Renton, the Elena flashback, and Gekko-State logo throw-ins. They haven't clarified what the connection is, however there is a connection and they've been upfront about at least that.

Jex

I can't really connect to the events, on an emotional level at least, because the characters in this show are a bit weird and everything that's going odd is rather above and beyond every day human experiences.

When Ao was being bullied by stupid racist island folk at least we could connect with him because most of us have probably have to deal with stupid, billgerent folk at some point in our lives.

When Ao ponders the mystery of his origin and his being we lack the same frame of reference. I actually think RahXephon handled this better.

They've definitely done a ton of pandering already. Eureka flashbacks, Eureka in the OP, vague references to Renton, the Elena flashback, and Gekko-State logo throw-ins. They haven't clarified what the connection is, however there is a connection.
The connection has to be what the end of the first series alluded to. Of course I haven't watched AO, but I would think it stupid to retcon that.

Jex

They've definitely done a ton of pandering already. Eureka flashbacks, Eureka in the OP, vague references to Renton, the Elena flashback, and Gekko-State logo throw-ins. They haven't clarified what the connection is, however there is a connection.

Most of that stuff was, as you yourself point out, rather vague and minor (beyond the flashbacks last episode). The climax of this episode was literally about pulling out the big guns and directly bringing them to play in the story - it's a whole different ball game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 18
A filler episode about Bouffalant. Yeah, pretty boring. I think the only reason this episode was made was to put everyone in colorful afros.

What do you consider "filler" Pokémon episodes?

Every episode that isn't a Gym battle?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can't really connect to the events, on an emotional level at least, because the characters in this show are a bit weird and everything that's going odd is rather above and beyond every day human experiences.

When Ao was being bullied by stupid racist island folk at least we could connect with him because most of us have probably have to deal with stupid, billgerent folk at some point in our lives.

When Ao ponders the mystery of his origin and his being we lack the same frame of reference. I actually think RahXephon handled this better.

Do you mean the events of the entire series or the events at the end of episode twelve specifically? If you mean the latter, I was at least able to emotionally connect with that in the sense of "
FINALLY, what I've been hoping would happen for the entire show is happening, some actual good characters have arrived which means less time devoted to side characters I don't care about, etc etc.
"

I suppose that also plays into your argument that these events constituted fanservice. The events that transpired excited me instantly on sight, even in the lack of any indication of whether or not these particular developments will actually help the story. "HEY, it's [x character]!" is a basic form of fanservice.

Pokemon B/W Rival Destinies 18
A filler episode about Bouffalant. Yeah, pretty boring. I think the only reason this episode was made was to put everyone in colorful afros.

If this took place in the One Piece universe, all of those pokemon would be Lv.100 with max IVs.

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 12

E7AO121.jpg

The action scenes involving Ao engaging Secrets

All the things I like about Eureka Seven Ao. Really cant wait to watch this weeks episode, even if I never saw the first series.

What do you consider "filler" Pokémon episodes?

Every episode that isn't a Gym battle?

Ones with catching new Pokemon and featuring locations/events from the game don't count as filler too

Basically that. But, usually episodes that are obviously showcasing a Pokemon and pretty much nothing else.

If it's a training episode where someone learns a new move or stuff doesn't really count as filler either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom