• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I would put Summer Wars on a par with Tokikake, not personally particularly caring for either. Hard to guage someone else's reactions, so I don't take my own taste into account much when formulating recommendations.

It feels kind of weird to give recommendations without taking into account my own preferences. I also feel like the critical reception on Summer Wars has gotten worse over time, but that could just be my innate bias speaking. I have no evidence either way.
Summer wars is a lot closer to "forced hammy meloDrama through time" then One piece movie 6.

Fun filled shounen island adventure might not jive with the sort that liked those movie.

op movie 6 is even more enjoyable if your familiar with the source material, certain viewers might demand answers to the bizarre things on screen like "why is there a talking transforming tannuki in the crew""did that classy woman make lots of hands pop out of the ground with her mind?".

But there isn't any melodrama through time in Summer Wars.

Uchip

Banned
But there isn't any melodrama through time in Summer Wars.

the people around the world yelling "koi koi!" beg to differ

edit: misread the post, but will leave it because that part bugged me for some reason
why does everyone suddenly know the rules of this game? mass wiki?

Emitan

the people around the world yelling "koi koi!" beg to differ

edit: misread the post, but will leave it because that part bugged me for some reason
why does everyone suddenly know the rules of this game? mass wiki?

Yeah seriously. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD PLAYS HANAFUDA

I've been meaning to watch Summer Wars for a long time. It's somewhere on my non-at-all-organized backlog of stuff I randomly decide to watch no particular order. Maybe I'll put it on priority soonish.

I didn't know how to play Minesweeper for like 15 years

Didn't you mention you were a slow learner :p

Ah jk, I have no clue wtf minesweeper is about still. I don't know Hearts either... now that i think about it, all the games that come with windows have shit tutorials.

I need an anime about minesweeper pronto.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Amazing Nurse Nanako 1-2 (dropped):

So bad that I zoned out within the first couple of minutes and just looked at the moving pictures without bothering to read the dialogue. I couldn't recall a single plot point even if my life depended on it. My memory consists of lots of boring vanilla tits & pantsu, REALLY LOUD SCREAMING, and some kind of evil catholic mad science organization. Wholly braindead.

Like what?
VClFe.jpg

Jex

Binbougami ga! 07:

Ranmaru's okay and all, but even with the "female in a traditionally male role" conceit, she hardly rises above the standard mid-20th century schoolboy ruffian archetype that she's meant to parody. It's still played too straight for me.
That's not really a conceit, actually. "Female who dresses as a boy and acts like a traditional male" is a well worn trope in itself, just like Ryuunosuke Fujinami from Urusei Yatsura.

cajunator

Banned
Ugly things

Not really true.
I like NFL football for example and its not cute. Neither is Detroit Metal City lol.

Amazing Nurse Nanako 1-2 (dropped):

So bad that I zoned out within the first couple of minutes and just looked at the moving pictures without bothering to read the dialogue. I couldn't recall a single plot point even if my life depended on it. My memory consists of lots of boring vanilla tits & pantsu, REALLY LOUD SCREAMING, and some kind of evil catholic mad science organization. Wholly braindead.

To be fair, I watched this a long time ago in my "watch every anime available" phase. I dont remember it being awful but it probably was.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's not really a conceit, actually. "Female who dresses as a boy and acts like a traditional male" is a well worn trope in itself, just like Ryuunosuke Fujinami from Urusei Yatsura.

I didn't mean to imply that it was uncommon, merely that it's the thing that differentiates Ranmaru's character from the standard form of the trope.

It's not a real game unless you're killing something. Never bothered with it.

b...but the face cards are holding swords...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom