• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Rinne no Lagrange S5
rinnes5.jpg
rinnes5a.jpg

This show really does have something for everyone!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Space Brothers 19

The introduction had me thinking this would be a recap episode.

Middle school Nanba swag.

The point of this episode was making the viewer feel nostalgic because this awesome arc is almost over. And it worked.

Kagami

Kagami's Shopping Blog - Comic Market 82 Edition

Got a big box of stuff in today sent by a friend of mine.
Most of its doujinshi, but first:

9aKoB.jpg

Now I can finally look at the K-On! thread again without fear of spoilers.

There's that giant storyboard book in all its 700-page goodness, the artbox, the movie BD and a special features BD, replica tickets, illustration cards (bromides) set, theme song score, theater pamphlet replica, mini-setting details booklet and...wait a minute...something's missing here...

The whole reason I had my friend order this from the KyoAni shop for me instead of just getting it myself for 3000 yen less at Amazon (and much earlier) was to get the Creator's Message Book that was the KyoAni shop bonus...which my friend apparently forgot to include in his shipping box.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll have to bug him about that later.

Meanwhile, other stuff:

Ro-Kyu-Bu! doujinshi, and an illustration book and goods set from Tinkle, the illustrator for the Ro-Kyu-Bu! novels.
At the top middle is a DVD of a live concert with the RKB VAs, who had a singing unit called "RO-KYU-BU!." This was what I sent off those coupons from the BDs for back in March.

Kadoi Aya book and fan, looks like PreCure stuff this time.
And a couple of my friend's own gag parody books he draws.

Books with NSFW covers: (Censored for our Google overlords, but still...)
Haganai http://imgur.com/llv1V
Waiting in the Summer http://imgur.com/WpsQk

Random stuff my friend sent that I didn't ask for (NSFW)
http://imgur.com/1o2YD
From left to right:
  • Original short story by a doujin circle called Yasurindo that did some stuff I bought before, so I guess that's OK.
  • K-On! Azuza book...I've never felt inspired to ever get any K-On! ero stuff, but I guess there's a first time for everything.
  • Gintama?? I've never seen/read a single episode of Gintama. Maybe my roommate will like it.
  • Some original manga from an author I've never heard of featuring fetishes I'm not into.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Binbougami ga! 07:

Ranmaru's okay and all, but even with the "female in a traditionally male role" conceit, she hardly rises above the standard mid-20th century schoolboy ruffian archetype that she's meant to parody. It's still played too straight for me.

Furthermore, like Bobby and Momo, Ranmaru doesn't exactly feel like she was created with a particular comedic intent in mind. Like the former two, she's simply another vehicle for screaming and punching with a slightly different MO and her relationship with Ichiko now appears to be stalled at "exists solely to antagonize Ichiko" in keeping with most of the show's other supporting cast. We continue to see the cast expand, but the increase in character variety is mostly an illusion.

Binbougami ga! 07:

Ranmaru's okay and all, but even with the "female in a traditionally male role" conceit, she hardly rises above the standard mid-20th century schoolboy ruffian archetype that she's meant to parody. It's still played too straight for me.

Furthermore, like Bobby and Momo, Ranmaru doesn't exactly feel like she was created with a particular comedic intent in mind. Like the former two, she's simply another vehicle for screaming and punching with a slightly different MO and her relationship with Ichiko now appears to be stalled at "exists solely to antagonize Ichiko" in keeping with most of the show's other supporting cast. We continue to see the cast expand, but the increase in character variety is mostly an illusion.

How did you get that out of the ending? They're friends now and that's how they act going forward. There's a reason why this episode changes things up.

BluWacky

Just out of curiosity, and because I think you mentioned this earlier today, how much of Utena have you actually seen?

I've seen the Ruka eps, so I've actually seen more than I thought (apologies again Thoraxes). I'm up to episode 29 then I guess. I've also seen the film.

Now that I finally own the whole thing on DVD I really should finish watching it, but the DVDs are so far away on the bookshelf and I can't watch them on the comfy couch because my multiregion DVD player is packed away and... yes, I'm making excuses for not finishing the damn show.

cajunator

Banned
I need to learn japanese so I dont have to keep relying on shitty us licensors to translate everything. Companies just take all the cool stuff out and leave us with the show. I want artbooks and all the extras :(
Do it like aniplex us and charge 400$ a series or whatever. I want extras!

Lurky

I need to learn japanese so I dont have to keep relying on shitty us licensors to translate everything. Companies just take all the cool stuff out and leave us with the show. I want artbooks and all the extras :(
Do it like aniplex us and charge 400$ a series or whatever. I want extras!

Let's not get too crazy here!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How did you get that out of the ending? They're friends now and that's how they act going forward. There's a reason why this episode changes things up.

The show has a record of character development resetting after each episode. Ichiko's performed several unselfish acts only to immediately snap back to her usual self, so by default I expect whatever "understanding" Ichiko and Ranmaru reached in this episode to ultimately revert to slapstick fighting again. If their relationship remains developed in the next episode, great, but with the way that every supporting character other than Keita has already sunk into one-dimensionality, I can't expect anything different for Ranmaru until I see otherwise.

The show has a record of character development resetting after each episode. Ichiko's performed several unselfish acts only to immediately snap back to her usual self, so by default I expect whatever "understanding" Ichiko and Ranmaru reached in this episode to ultimately revert to slapstick fighting again. If their relationship remains developed in the next episode, great, but with the way that every supporting character other than Keita has already sunk into one-dimensionality, Ranmaru's chances aren't great.

Ranmaru is essentially the 3rd main character. There's a reason her prominence in the OP extends beyond holding fingers up.

duckroll

Ranmaru is essentially the 3rd main character. There's a reason her prominence in the OP extends beyond holding fingers up.

I think the problem is that the entire series feels like a shallow gag show with dumb characters and it's getting old. If by "shaking things up" the series is just adding another lame character to the mix... it really doesn't help for those who are getting bored of the formula.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Space Brothers 21

Hahaha. It was so obvious since the beginning that
they were still inside the JAXA facilities.

Hopefully all the characters will stick around somehow - even the ones that didn't advance.

Oh, and the preview spoiled everything, haha.

I think the problem is that the entire series feels like a shallow gag show with dumb characters and it's getting old. If by "shaking things up" the series is just adding another lame character to the mix... it really doesn't help for those who are getting bored of the formula.

I would argue the formula changes at this point though. I mean yeah, it's still pretty much a gag series, but there's some actual character development that sticks, events that have a higher degree of tension than what's been shown, and just more variety overall.

Though I'd still probably recommend those who aren't feeling the humor after this episode drop it. That face thing is one of the best jokes in the series IMO.

No. 6 3 - end
tumblr_m7a4avWEDl1rzpt7wo3_500.gif

Even better durbed in English. Everyone sounded pretty good and I still teared up at the end cause of
Karen running to her son, such a great moment of joy, if only they extended it to them meeting
. I wonder which adaptation is closer to the source the manga or the anime, as both place some events in different places. Dogkeeper was the only voice that had one issue, which really only occurred in the final episode. Very pleased and probably my favorite anime purchase this year (actually maybe Star Driver is, well both are up there).

wonzo

Banned
Humanity Has Declined 8

I came, I saw, I slipped,
Time Paradog.

I'm usually not a fan of most recaps but I thought this on was pretty well done what with the way it worked into the punchline of these past two episodes. It certainly helped that it filled in some of the gaps on just what the hell was going on, more specifically
why the sundial watch went missing. dat young grandfather "incest".

Show still owns in my book but then again I'm a sucker for quirky, dark, dry comedies so YMMV.

Which doubly sucks because it achieves that rare state of being both a perfect family film and a great movie fullstop. Great balance of comedy, action, and drama, with characters who are completely endearing as well as identifiable to children without being too cloying or saccharine.

Slap on a decent dub and call it a day! If only I ran an anime licensing company into the ground.
I can't think of a better way to run a licensing company into the ground. It certainly beats paying 960k for the license to Kurau: Phantom Memory.

cajunator

Banned
No. 6 3 - end
tumblr_m7a4avWEDl1rzpt7wo3_500.gif

Even better durbed in English. Everyone sounded pretty good and I still teared up at the end cause of
Karen running to her son, such a great moment of joy, if only they extended it to them meeting
. I wonder which adaptation is closer to the source the manga or the anime, as both place some events in different places. Dogkeeper was the only voice that had one issue, which really only occurred in the final episode. Very pleased and probably my favorite anime purchase this year (actually maybe Star Driver is, well both are up there).

The only thing I know about this show is the OP song (which I like)

Nafe

Well, when she's on... she's on!

Ok, that's good to hear. I have no idea what you would think of the show but she's currently voicing a character in the show kyoukai senjou no horizon right now. I just switched my avatar to her character actually. She even speaks in the older formal speech with "de gozaru". There's actually a funny joke where someone says she's basically a cooler ninja type character than the ninja character Daisuke Ono voices because she speaks in an even older and more formal style than he does.

firehawk12 said:
It's Super Mario Brothers... 1!

Really? I had to go back and read the clue and I still don't think I would have gotten that. That doesn't sound like
the first Mario Brothers game
at all.

That's it, folks. I'm done now. Apologies if this is too "bloggy" for the thread.

I thought this was a really good post actually and read the whole thing. It's been years since I've seen Escaflowne and would definitely like to watch it again. Other than the movie I've never actually seen the show in the original Japanese. Maybe I'll even take a look at the Blu-ray box, unless it's really hard to find now, I don't know. It could be too expensive for my tastes too.

BluWacky said:
6. EVERYTHING FROM 15 MINUTES INTO THE EPISODE ONWARDS

- one of Escaflowne's real strengths for me are its sympathetic antagonists (aside from Dornkirk). This shot doesn't have quite the same impact without the animation of Naria's eyes here, but this and Eriya's acting throughout the scene work on so many emotionally tortuous levels.
Is Naria just nervous about the fate alteration, or is she desperately jealous of her sister? Meanwhile, Eriya has to "pretend" to be in love with Folken-as-Allen, so not only is she forced into a situation she has longed for with Folken but she also has to contend with Folken treating the whole thing as an operation. "Think only of me", he says to her - and that's exactly why it's so delicious to watch.

- The whole plot point that this hinges around is delightfully ambiguous. I will admit to being very frustrated with this episode when I originally watched it because I couldn't decide whether or not what happens is due to the antagonists
forcing Allen and Hitomi to kiss through use of the Destiny Prognostication Engine
, or whether
it's really just their desires and Zaibach has nothing to do with it
. On reflection, however, I've come to enjoy this because it's kind of the point of the series - that
yes, Hitomi had the power to manipulate destiny, but actually everything should be down to choice, because humanity has free will. That and she should snog emo dragon boy, not the chauvinist with mummy issues.

I couldn't remember some of the earlier scenes you mentioned but this scene later in the episode, I definitely remember that. I think I had the same problems as you regarding it's initial ambiguity but then I think I also came to similar conclusions later on as well. A very memorable scene either way you look at it.

Oh, I totally forgot about and second this. My favorite animu movie in many moons and quite possibly the finest dinosaur-centric tale ever committed to film.

I still haven't seen the film but it's definitely on my list and I think I'll get around to it soon. I don't think I've heard of any other animated film featuring cute break dancing dinosaurs either.

kYsw2.gif

Kagami's Shopping Blog - Comic Market 82 Edition

Got a big box of stuff in today sent by a friend of mine.
Most of its doujinshi, but first:

9aKoB.jpg

Now I can finally look at the K-On! thread again without fear of spoilers.

There's that giant storyboard book in all its 700-page goodness, the artbox, the movie BD and a special features BD, replica tickets, illustration cards (bromides) set, theme song score, theater pamphlet replica, mini-setting details booklet and...wait a minute...something's missing here...

The whole reason I had my friend order this from the KyoAni shop for me instead of just getting it myself for 3000 yen less at Amazon (and much earlier) was to get the Creator's Message Book that was the KyoAni shop bonus...which my friend apparently forgot to include in his shipping box.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The K-On! movie special edition box looks so nice with really interesting things such as the storyboard book. I might have to break down and just get it. That's unfortunate about that message book as well. :(

Toriko 67
tumblr_m90fvo8DXq1rtln9oo1_250.jpg

This crossover...Anyway, one of the things I like about Toriko anime is all the creative foods they have in it. The contest they run, this seemed to be the second, always give such great results. They should do another one again for more entries and more creative foods for the gourmet contests, if only I was in JPN so I could participate too. Melody cucumber was a good one, the smoke salmon, and more. Cant wait to see which come next week.

So I've been drawing anime characters alot recently (thanks to select individual(s) -_-). And well what's a better place to share than AnimeGAF?

Something Something

So here's a test drawing. If you people like it then I'll be glad to post more, if not oh well. Any constructive criticism will be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom