• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Mass Effect Anime

Day 1

save the fuck out of anime shepard
Watching;

Magi
Robotics;Notes
Psycho Pass
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Sukitte li na yo.
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Zetsuen no Tempest
Shin Sekai Yori
Bakuman 3
K
Jomungand 2

I hate myself.
You're not alone. Jormungand kinda looks like Black Lagoon if you squint hard.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I agree, the anime is good if you already have knowledge of part 3, but if not, I really can't recommend it at all. It's not just that stuff is cut out, it's that really weird stuff is left in and it messes up the pacing. Polnareff ends up having more fights than almost everyone else combined.

And it's also a crime that they cut out Joseph's and Iggy's best fights.
As somebody with zero knowledge of the manga, I completely disagree and enjoyed the anime a lot, and you do a disservice to others by keeping it from them.

Branduil

Must watch:

From the New World

Will probably watch:

Magi
Psycho-Pass
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Zetsuen no Tempest

Will plan on watching but probably not finish until months later:

Robotic:Notes
The Monster Next Door
Chuunibyou
Kyousogiga 2

Eh maybe if everyone says it's amazing:

Kamisama Kiss
Sukitte Ii na yo
Code:Breaker
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the Animation

No:

Little Busters!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'll probably watch a bunch of stuff with disregard for the general appearance of having taste, but I'm most anticipating the new KyoAni show.

As somebody with zero knowledge of the manga, I completely disagree and enjoyed the anime a lot, and you do a disservice to others by keeping it from them.

I'm not saying people shouldn't watch it if they don't read manga or anything like that, but I don't think it's tough to see the massive amounts of wasted potential or even some inconsistencies that wouldn't be present had they picked better areas to adapt.

Fall 2012 List Go!

Extremely Hyped For:
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Zetsuen no Tempest
Kyousogiga 2

Optimistic For:
Robotics;Notes
Sukitte li na yo
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
K
Medaka Box S2

Will Try Out:
Psycho-Pass

Backlog'd:
Hayate no Gotoku! I Can't Take My Eyes Off You
To Love-Ru Darkness
Seitokai no Ichizon (new)

Duckroll Hyped:
Magi

12 airing shows, not counting whatever the hell continues from this season. Not bad.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
it's that time of the season folks

time to post your nerd lists for nerd listwars

Still airing:

Kuromajo-san ga Tooru! (?)
One Piece (if I ever catch up)
Saint Seiya Omega
Smile Precure!

Legitimately interested:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Litchi*Hikari Club
Magi
Robotics;Notes
Shin Sekai Yori
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Zetsuen no Tempest

Watching because of studio:

Chuunibyou blah blah
Ixion Saga

Sure, why not:

CODE:BREAKER
Kamisama Hajimemashita
To-LOVE-Ru Darkness

Trusting hosanna's opinion:

Gyrozetter

Blood pact with duckroll:

PSYCHO-PASS

#sufferwatch:

Aikatsu

Waiting for Godot:

Hyouge Mono

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
it's that time of the season folks

Hyped:
Jormungand S2

Curious:
Robotic;Notes
Magi

I don't know enough about any other shows on that list and until I complete Horizon I don't think I should add too many shows. I'm already sorta watching Binbougami Ga and Sword Art Online. If I add too many shows I'm just going to do the same thing I do with games: stock pile them and watch none of them.

I don't know enough about any other shows on that list and until I complete Horizon I don't think I should add too many shows. I'm already sorta watching Binbougami Ga and Sword Art Online. If I add too many shows I'm just going to do the same thing I do with games: stock pile them and watch none of them.

Gotta prepare for the apocalypse.

Firemind

I guess I'll just have to console myself with more IS doujins...

ceciliadj.jpg

Why are you even watching Horizon, anyway? Did someone threaten you with bodily harm?
Someone threatened to hit him with a pair of those grotesque pairs of breasts.
It doesn't apply to this case, but just because a director is taking on a new show doesn't mean an older show he's working on will stop.
How often do directors have co-occurring series? With how tight production schedules usually are, I wouldn't think there would be much time unless it was at the same studio.
It was a rhetorical question. ;)

Tomat

Why are you even watching Horizon, anyway? Did someone threaten you with bodily harm?

I thought the MC Tori Aoi sounded interested and some folks on /a/ said the show was confusing because of the amount of information they throw at you at once.

Mainly watching out of curiosity. The first episode wasn't that bad.

duckroll

It doesn't apply to this case, but just because a director is taking on a new show doesn't mean an older show he's working on will stop.

Yeah let's not forget that in Spring the same director was on both Space Bros and Mysterious Girlfriend X, and Space Bros is still running now! Next season both Ixion Saga and Gyrozetter will also have the same director. :D

Kagami

Horizon's first season was decently fun, other than the first couple of eps.
I'm behind on the second season but it hasn't gone south so far anyway.

Branduil

The interview with Bunny Drop's character designer, Yu Yamashita, also discusses the screenplay review process:

I made a lot of statements about the submitted screenplay. Mr Kishimoto obviously did not want to simply trace the steps of the original comic. He was also an active parent, so he included his personal experiences along with many other ideas. We wanted to include all the good things he came up with, but he just had this tendency to make Rin someone who should be pitied (laughs). Director Kamei and the rest of us had to constantly move Mr. Kishimoto away from that tendency. He'd put in dirty jokes from time to time and the female staff members at the review meetings would speak very brutally to him about those. I usually tried to pick up on all the good ideas Mr. Kishimoto had, but I did point out the bad stuff from time to time. Mr. Kishimoto would say "you're not on my side today" during those times (laughs). It wasn't just me. Everyone in the review meetings expressed all kinds of opinions.

Defuser

Oh it's Fall 2012 list wars again? I wanna play too!

I'll be watching:
- Magi
- Zetsuen no Tempest
- From the New World
- Psycho-Pass
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- KyoAni Crazy Girl Show
- Robotics;Notes
- K
- Girls und Panzer
- Gyrozetter
- Kyousogiga 2

I might also check out some other shows if people I trust tell me it's good!

Also, carry over shows which will still be airing in Fall:
- Saint Seiya Omega
- Sword Art Online
Why aren't you watching Space bros.

dimb

It was goofy and didn't make a lot of sense but I thought it was still pretty fun to watch. Was a lot less awkward than watching the first episode of idolm@ster at least.
There are definitely some less than desirable quality levels from im@s, especially the first two episodes. It is not completely without merit though.

Eureka Seven 41 - 50 (end)

Ignoring the last two episodes, I think Eureka Seven was overall a good ride. Renton started off kind of annoying but overtime grew on me and definitely became one of the more interesting protagonists in Mech based anime. I guess I liked his initial innocence and turn to actually want to do things his own way even if it was for the one he loved or just to protect all or whatever in his own special way. He was also really funny and got along so well even when faced with much adversity from Holland, but thanks to a good support group like Big Brother Doggie, Dominic, Charles, he was set straight on the path. He was also the best and most skilled pilot in the anime, rivaling Doggie's skills with the Gekkostate and Holland at his peak. I was ultimately, impressed with Renton.

Dominic, though he needed more screentime, was probably my second favorite character. I guess he was essentially a kind of federation take on the Renton character and worked well even if he was actually not ever in a position of fighting. I liked his whole thing of seeking the truth and staying rational about everything and just
the whole thing with him going to see the grandpa and getting emotional and then seeing the facilities of the manufacture of more Anemone's and getting emotional, and then switching sides and get worked up on the Gekkostate (best Dominic Scene as well as the one with him and the animal and him diving in there to save and call out Anemone as they locked hands diving)
were all really well done and memorable.

And then lastly, Renton and Moondoggie scenes were good their episode and sunset dinner in the first half was memorable still as well as the soccer episode with their awesome skills too. He needed more screentime overall but was glad when he got involved.

Unfortunately the anime was plagued with lots of terrible characters like. Anemone was close to being a decent character but
she never won a single fight, just how terrible can a character be to pilot THE END and still lose thrice, just unacceptable, and then her personality was awful, treating Dominic like that her only decent moment was just when he came to save her and they were falling
. Gigdet and Talho werent any better, I cant recall them contributing anything other than getting emotional for often no reason.
Talho chose an odd time to get pregnant. Its a wartime why are they doing that then? It greatly reduced any combat ability she may have possessed to pilot an LFO, so :(
Eureka was quite annoying, bland, and just awful. To me, as a namesake character of the anime, shouldnt she be, you know, epic cool and stuff?
Decent pilot in the beginning but in the end just became more useless and annoying? I mean how did she lose her skills and only become good for whining constantly, crying, and moaning. I was always expecting her to do something but she just did nothing. I was quite disappointed, I mean, second half, I can't honestly remember nothing that she contributed. She was basically Renton's luggage like the kids
. And speaking of the kids, they were as bad as Eureka. There was no point for them being her, they ruined everything and were really annoying. Im so glad that whoever did Eureka Seven AO decided to ditch having kids as a part of the plot.

Plot was alright and solid except the ending. The first half was really good and amazing. I mean, I dont think there was nary a weak episode. The suspense, action, character development was all there, just about everything I love from this type of series. And going into the second half the Charles/Renton/Ray thing was a memorable arc.
I cried
. Only issue with second half was it felt like we had less mech based fights, well that is what it felt like, though I did marathon through 25 or so of these episodes today? Backstory of everything and the world was nice if confusing, but I guess it makes sense
It took so long to realize that they werent actually on Earth. I think I missed the explanation of the time limit of the Antibody Coralians, but they were nice for enemies, and I liked the whole Scub Burst wanted to understand the humans, and etc

The biggest shock was that Nirvash
is female? I thought it was male the whole time, its design even

The ending was awful and I hope whoever penned it doesnt write the E7AO ending, because this was just unacceptable. I almost just cut the episode off because I didnt want to deal with this. I could envision so many better endings. It was also unsatisfying and just left too many loose ends. There was no rationale for
why Eureka and Renton had to go away, or why half the people have to go, or the place where people will leave. It seems lazy to just say, we will try a solution in a different dimensions, sorry, and goodbye but we need to take half of you all with us, thanks. There was also too much flowers and hearts that it felt really girly, isnt that odd to have happy stuff when were losing half people? There was also not enough action there needed to be more. The music made everything feel way too lighthearted and the scenes of destruction just didnt feel that intense to me for some reason, sure sad, but there needed to be more explosions, etc.

Wrapping up, enjoyable anime, glad I did give it a chance and watch it. Although it had those character faults and ending faults, it was good enough to stay hooked to enough to see it. I guess an 8 / 10 after all is said and done. Renton is still not as good as Ao, and the music wasn't as good as Ao, though there were quite a few tracks I liked but I think the soundtrack kept lots of the action scenes from feeling actiony and intense, music often felt like some dance track at some summer of love event. Oh and Gekkostate, the ship, and Nirvash are awesome.

duckroll

Zetsuen no Tempest news from the CharaHobby stage event:

- Miyuki Sawashiro will be playing Hakaze
- Kana Hanazawa will be performing the ED theme

It seems likely that Hanazawa will also be playing Aika given the circumstances here, but I don't think that was confirmed.

Sword Art Online 8

Good Asuna episode; no doubt she's my favorite SAO girl. Not that there are any other compelling choices.

Gundam AGE 43-44

Continuing to limp towards the finish. The only possibly compelling characters especially at this stage of the show have been poorly handled, emphasized here by
Zeheart willingly drinking Ezalcant's koolaid about Project Eden maybe one minute after going in to argue with him about it. "Okay, I'll go be Space Hitler for you if that's your dying wish".
SMH. I guess since I've watched this far I might as well finish, but given the dubious quality of the series especially since the beginning of the 3rd gen I highly doubt it can be salvaged. But we shall see.

New stuff I'm interested in for fall:
Psycho-Pass
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Chuunibyou
To Love-Ru Darkness
Little Busters
Robotics;Notes

Branduil

The interview with the director of Bunny Drop, Kanta Kamei, is also pretty interesting:

I would get too depressed to work if I read someone talking smack about me, so I was too scared to go browsing through a certain large BBS. I should always accept criticism and use it as a stepping stone for my next work, but I don't think I can take too much negativity. I have the tendency to exaggerate what people say to me and get depressed because of it. During the broadcast, I would post an occasional tweet and was relieved to see mostly positive responses.

Commercial anime is what I make. We have to create something where everyone involved can profit and become happy.

Coming from someone who has never raised any children, I think the comic sugarcoats the hard parts of parenting really well and focuses on many of the fun parts. I made sure to maintain that tone when animating the title. However, the screenwriter, Mr. Kishimoto, kept focusing on the hardships of parenting-possibly because he is in the middle of raising his own child. I would point out these parts each time and make him fix them. Because he experienced parenthood for himself, all his stories became that much more realistic. To me, animating this title involved filling in the blanks between each comic panel. I tried very hard not to ruin the atmosphere and feel it had. Mr. Kishimoto had many interesting ideas, but it would move too far from the original comic's tone. I tried to get him back on track each time.

Please tell us what you personally think is Bunny Drop's charm.

First and foremost, the fact that Rin is so cute.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If anyone wants to know what Chii-chan is doing in Accel World

She is using Noumi to gather points and level up. Her power isn't a healing ability, it is a time ability that allows her to revert something to a previous state. So when she uses it in battle she can revert someones health and armor to how it was like at the beginning of the match. She's accumulating enough points to revert time back on Haruyuki to when he still had his wings.

Tomat

Oh, nevermind, then. Don't let my negativity infect you.

Nah it's all good, don't worry about it! I don't mind hearing the positives and negatives about a show. The reactions I get for saying I'm checking the show out are pretty funny.

dimb

She is using Noumi to gather points and level up. Her power isn't a healing ability, it is a time ability that allows her to revert something to a previous state. So when she uses it in battle she can revert someones health and armor to how it was like at the beginning of the match. She's accumulating enough points to revert time back on Haruyuki to when he still had his wings.
I just watched the last episode and couldn't help but feel like the show is plodding and terrible right now. More than usual even. Fortunately it looks like the best character is coming back next week to save the show.

wonzo

Banned
Is Joshiraku two cour?

No?

Oh...
You could always read the manga for more cute girls doing cute things!

It thought it was so
she could reverse time on Nomi to the point before he even installed the Brain Burst program or something dumb like that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I promised I'd take a picture of me playing Tsukihime on my Macbook Pro Retina for Darkside when I got it, but now I can't procure a decently priced copy of Windows 7. I already own the software two times over.

Branduil

Thanks for posting these excerpts; they're quite interesting. You've reminded me that I need to go buy this set.

There's plenty more than just what I posted. Some of the stuff about the work they put into character design and the difficulties in adapting them from the manga is really interesting. It's also obvious from looking at the art and the interviews that they put a lot of work into clothing design, and tying that together with the art direction to indicate the changing of the seasons.

There's also shorter interviews with the artists who worked on the OP and ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom