• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
all dat text

What you're about to read is a largely uneducated opinion

It could just be me but I think the "these works are generally aimed at pre-teen/teenage boys" is part of the problem people have with shounen. This also ties into the coming of age story. I think most of the shounen I have read/watched all feel like coming of age stores, which is alright, but at the same time some folks probably get sick of the same theme.

Most of all though I think people look at shows like Fairy Tail, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and think "Over 100 episodes? Hell no."

Good post, it was an informative read.

SAO 8

lol I think i've seen a guy that looks like that guard at a internet cafe in china. And come on, Asuna got max cooking, how can anyone think she ain't best waifu?

And have they ever explained wtf is going on in the real world in the anime? I recall desden or someone mentioned that they are in hospitals or something from the LN, but i don't remember any of that from the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I support ya, cosmic. We may not always agree, but I've always liked that you're really really passionate about the things that you enjoy and can defend them articulately. I'll go through your mini-treatise again and see if there's anything that I can parse out to reply to.

Gintama 79

yAL30.jpg

This episode shows the struggle everyone has when they realize there is no more toilet paper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Accel World is calling, firehawk12. It's still glorious.
I genuinely thought the premise of SAO was vile though. Other than pigs and poorly designed toilets, I'm not sure I AW has that same rage inducing set up. lol

Started writing this last night while people were being mean to shounen. Might as well finish it to make you guys think I'm even crazier/pathetic (and hopefully take back my title from DTL). I doubt it will change the rather negative opinion of the genre around here, but whatever.

Why Battle Shounen is an awesome genre

*snip*

Although I would agree with your sentiments, I would say that those two factors depend on an extraordinary length - and I consider that to be the biggest detriment of the genre. I'd like to believe that One Piece has a 20-30 year arc planned, but I have a feeling that it's as tightly scripted as any Marvel/DC comic that will get reboot once every ten years because sales are down.

Even Gintama keeps toying with this end game that I know will probably never come. Or, at least, it probably won't come before it starts getting weird for a 40/50/60 year old guy to watch anime anyway. I know that these things are more about making money (merch, anime, jump magazine, collected volumes, and so on) than they are about telling stories, but I wonder if it's okay for these guys to even consider endgames for their projects.

(I suppose it's almost as bad as stupidly long fantasy series that keep getting longer and longer with each new book).

I will say that I would probably be more interested in shounen if the heroes were adults (aka Gintama) or if the main protagonist was female (in my head, that would be shounen Precure I suppose). But again, like having a short running shounen, that's probably antithetical to the genre as a whole.

I support ya, cosmic. We may not always agree, but I've always liked that you're really really passionate about the things that you enjoy and can defend them articulately. I'll go through your mini-treatise again and see if there's anything that I can parse out to reply to.

Aren't you too busy calling people morons in IRC where you think they won't know because they don't hang out there? Next time you're going to call me a moron, grow a pair of balls and say it to my face instead of behind my back.

If these are the kinds of responses I'm going to get, I don't know why I bother :/

Thanks for not being a jerk, Dresden and Hobo.
I was totally being a jerk, though. :lol All in good fun, of course.

I don't feel compelled to go out and watch a battle shonen now, but I think you did a good job of laying out the fundamentals of the genre for people(like me) who have limited experience with it.

If you added some pictures to break up the text it'd probably be easier to read and they could illustrate your points.
Because this has worked out swimmingly for ABF.

Dresden

Aren't you too busy calling people morons in IRC where you think they won't know because they don't hang out there? Next time you're going to call me a moron, grow a pair of balls and say it to my face instead of behind my back.

only one way to settle this

pierrot and unknown

pistols

at dawn

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ 5:

1344058568235.gif

This episode was about Akarin, kinda. I like how it looked like they were going to have another pool episode but instead it was about Akarin sitting in the waiting area of the train station. The rest of the episode was two shorter stories, one involving Kyouko wandering into the lives of everyone of everyone else who had working A/C before Akarin's solo waiting sequence, and one involving Sakurako and Himawari. The funny part there was when Sakurako started messing with an oblivious Akarin. Poor Akarin, even in an episode that's mainly about her she's still always being bullied. ;_;

What you're about to read is a largely uneducated opinion

It could just be me but I think the "these works are generally aimed at pre-teen/teenage boys" is part of the problem people have with shounen. This also ties into the coming of age story. I think most of the shounen I have read/watched all feel like coming of age stores, which is alright, but at the same time some folks probably get sick of the same theme.

Most of all though I think people look at shows like Fairy Tail, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto and think "Over 100 episodes? Hell no."

Good post, it was an informative read.

To be fair, a good chunk of the discussion here revolves around shows aimed at the same demographic if not younger. I don't think what age group something is aimed at implies a lack of maturity with its handling of themes. And besides, the cultural differences between the west and Japan kind of makes it a non-issue anyway. You got shounen that is gorier than anything that would be allowed in an R rated movie.

cajunator

Banned
That preview picture is always in some super shitty resolution thats impossible to read.
Im looking forward to Prism Nana and Mondai-ji, whenever tbose come out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, a good chunk of the discussion here revolves around shows aimed at the same demographic if not younger. I don't think what age group something is aimed at implies a lack of maturity with its handling of themes. And besides, the cultural differences between the west and Japan kind of makes it a non-issue anyway. You got shounen that is gorier than anything that would be allowed in an R rated movie.
It's like American shit for teenagers though. All action, no sex. Look at all the summer blockbusters this year.

battleshounentext

Gotta agree with this. I do find that battle shounens are very much like JRPGs in terms of what makes me actually like them. Usually not the stories but I just like seeing the variety in characters and their abilities. I like seeing the next new sword, the next version of the fireballs, the 5 minute summon spells. Granted, I haven't really gotten really deep into the wide world of battle shounens besides the big stuff, but I have liked what I seen so far.

I do gotta say the length is probably the most daunting thing about battle shounens. While JRPGs generally have at the very least some end point at some point, it's hard to tell for some series and it's pretty discouraging to start watching only to see the episode count continue to pile up.

Although I would agree with your sentiments, I would say that those two factors depend on an extraordinary length - and I consider that to be the biggest detriment of the genre. I'd like to believe that One Piece has a 20-30 year arc planned, but I have a feeling that it's as tightly scripted as any Marvel/DC comic that will get reboot once every ten years because sales are down.

Even Gintama keeps toying with this end game that I know will probably never come. Or, at least, it probably won't come before it starts getting weird for a 40/50/60 year old guy to watch anime anyway. I know that these things are more about making money (merch, anime, jump magazine, collected volumes, and so on) than they are about telling stories, but I wonder if it's okay for these guys to even consider endgames for their projects.

(I suppose it's almost as bad as stupidly long fantasy series that keep getting longer and longer with each new book).

I will say that I would probably be more interested in shounen if the heroes were adults (aka Gintama) or if the main protagonist was female (in my head, that would be shounen Precure I suppose). But again, like having a short running shounen, that's probably antithetical to the genre as a whole.

The difference between Gintama and One Piece is the former is largely a comedy series where the relevance of a plot point is generally connected to how convenient it is to joke about even at the cost of previously established character development. One Piece on the other hand, is a mostly linear adventure with a very clear endgame that is always getting closer with each passing arc.

I'm not going to deny that many series are not planned out beyond a beginning and proposed ending. However, unlike the American comic book industry, the properties are owned by the authors rather than the companies they work for, so they can choose to follow their vision or milk it for all its worth (or get cancelled, but that's not their choice). Yeah, pesky editors will get in the way, but there's no way to gauge just how prevalent that is in any given story behind what is said in interviews.

Anyway, Toriko and Kenshin both have protagonists in their mid-late 20s. Battle series with female protags include: Soul Eater, Arachnid, Ga-Rei Zero, Battle Angel Alita, Claymore, Corpse Princess, Esprit, Kurohime, Medaka Box, Needless (half), Tokyo Esp, Yozakura Quartet, Yumekui Merry, Zettai Karen Children.

It usually does, though, and the presence of gore is hardly a signifier of maturity. I say this as someone who reads/watches a lot of gory stuff.

I guess it's important to make a distinction between "mature content" and "mature themes". In which case, I agree, shounen isn't generally trying to tackle the latter with care or subtlety. However, like I said, demographics really don't mean much in manga/anime, so there are more than a handful of exceptions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The difference between Gintama and One Piece is the former is largely a comedy series where the relevance of a plot point is generally connected to how convenient it is to joke about even at the cost of previously established character development. One Piece on the other hand, is a mostly linear adventure with a very clear endgame that is always getting closer with each passing arc.

I'm not going to deny that many series are not planned out beyond a beginning and proposed ending. However, unlike the American comic book industry, the properties are owned by the authors rather than the companies they work for, so they can choose to follow their vision or milk it for all its worth (or get cancelled, but that's not their choice). Yeah, pesky editors will get in the way, but there's no way to gauge just how prevalent that is in any given story behind what is said in interviews.
Well, even though I'm the #1 Gintama fan, if they get to episode 300 without anything big happening (and I don't think it anything will happen), I'll be pretty disappointed. Constantly introducing "mid-bosses" can only be interesting for so long. Although I suppose the comedy helps save it.
Related to the length issue is that the battles (at least in episodes of One Piece that I saw) are just too long.

And being creator owned doesn't really mean anything. Kirkman has stated over and over again that The Walking Dead will go on as long as it makes money. There's no endgame whatsoever. It's why I have no interest in reading it.

Anyway, Toriko and Kenshin both have protagonists in their mid-late 20s. Battle series with female protags include: Soul Eater, Arachnid, Ga-Rei Zero, Battle Angel Alita, Claymore, Corpse Princess, Esprit, Kurohime, Medaka Box, Needless (half), Tokyo Esp, Yozakura Quartet, Yumekui Merry, Zettai Karen Children.
Oh yeah, I watched that one episode of Toriko that everyone was hyped about. I guess that dude could be an adult. lol

I don't really know any of those other series though, but I assume they're not in the middle of 10 year runs like the big 3?

Jex

[Patema Inverted] - 4/Final

Well, that's about wraps up this short teaser/preview/whatever for the new movie by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve) and I have to say that it looks fairly promising. The only thing that concerned me, slightly, was the characterisation of Patema herself. It's hard to put my finger down on what, exactly, bothered me about her except that she seemed a bit weedy in this episode, which doesn't really gel with what we've already seen her accomplish. Hopefully this wont be an issue in the actual movie.

The direction seems pretty good, even a little playful in the way that they mess around with the soundtrack. I can't remember the last time I've seen an anime that does that, which is cool.

In terms of story, all that we've been introduced to who is the movie's big hook. I believe I mentioned earlier how the 'hook' reminds me of classic sci-fi stories where the entire story was based around 'what the world be like if this piece of technology existed'. For Time of Eve you could argue that the story resolved around a similar question, but that show had a very tight, personal feel. I get the feeling that, as a movie, this story is going to have a far wider scope. I suppose the big question to be answered is: will the movie have an interesting story with good characters? I know that this is a question for like, every movie ever, but with this kind of story there's a danger that everything revolves around the central conceit and the traditional storytelling falls to the wayside.

I guess I'm going to have to wait a long time to discover how it turns out.

Uchip

Banned
I guess it's important to make a distinction between "mature content" and "mature themes". In which case, I agree, shounen isn't generally trying to tackle the latter with care or subtlety. However, like I said, demographics really don't mean much in manga/anime, so there are more than a handful of exceptions.

Im not sure you are getting the cultural differences right
anime is considered an immature interest in Japan from what im told, regardless of gore

Jex

I decided I should watch more anime because I never finish a series and summer break ends in a day or two. So, after 4 months or so, I guess I'm back to watching stuff for a bit~

Mawaru Penguindrum 7
iXTzGjeogmBbB.png

DESTINYYYY! Fabulous Max! Seizon senryaku! "Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!" Project M x10. Fate. Am I missing anything? No? Good. I can't even grasp how Ringo gets creepier and creepier every episode. And... I kinda feel dumb for not realizing what Project M really was, though. ): Unless there's s surprise twist next episode!

With Penguin Drum there's usually a surprise twist every episode!

Well, even though I'm the #1 Gintama fan, if they get to episode 300 without anything big happening (and I don't think it anything will happen), I'll be pretty disappointed. Constantly introducing "mid-bosses" can only be interesting for so long. Although I suppose the comedy helps save it.
Related to the length issue is that the battles (at least in episodes of One Piece that I saw) are just too long.

And being creator owned doesn't really mean anything. Kirkman has stated over and over again that The Walking Dead will go on as long as it makes money. There's no endgame whatsoever. It's why I have no interest in reading it.

Yeah I know, just saying it can be a factor.

Oh yeah, I watched that one episode of Toriko that everyone was hyped about. I guess that dude could be an adult. lol

I don't really know any of those other series though, but I assume they're not in the middle of 10 year runs like the big 3?

Kenshin is finished, Soul Eater anime is finished while the manga is probably in its endgame, Arachnid is 6 volumes in and will probably still go for a while (and hopefully get an anime soon), Ga-Rei Zero is a 13 episode prequel to an underwhelming manga, Battle Angel Alita ended but a sequel is still going strong, Claymore anime was 26 episodes and the manga is still probably gonna go for a little while, Corpse Princess is a 26 episode Gainax show and the manga is still going strong, Esprit ended at 8 volumes and I think was cancelled :(, Kurohime ended at 18 volumes and I seem to be the only person that liked the ending, Medaka Box is a split cour anime and both anime and manga consist of Nisio trolling, Needless had a pretty good 24 ep anime and the manga is still going, Tokyo Esp is from the Ga-Rei dude and is still going strong with probably an anime on the horizon, Yozakura Quartet had a 12 episode tv anime and 3 episode ova while the manga is still going, Yumekui Merry had a 13 episode anime and the manga should be in its endgame, Zettai Karen Children had a 51 episode anime with another one coming soon and the manga is still going with some of the most aggravating plot progression ever.

Jeez that's a long sentence. Not passing any English tests with that. Only ones that are 10 years old are Claymore and Alita. Soul Eater is closing in on its 10 year anniversary though. Might end before it.

Jex

3/10. Hitting someone with a bag isn't a real slap. Also no clear point of impact, it actually looks like he's hitting her shoulder.

It's actually worse than that, though. The way her head follows the bag around as it swings makes it look like she's stuck to the bag, as opposed to her reacting to the impact of the bag and being knocked off her feet.

Dog Days' 8

Y'all are right, this does have everything. Did Sink ever have to 'henshin' before?

And chf's magic girl transformation was sadly different from before :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Full Zetsuen no Tempest news update:

Hakaze Kusaribe: Miyuki Sawashiro
Samon Kusaribe: Rikiya Koyama
Evangeline Yamamoto: Nana Mizuki
Junichirou Hoshimura: Hirofumi Nojima
Natsumura Kusaribe: Junichi Suwabe
Tetsuma Kusaribe: Hiroyuki Yoshino

OP: Nothing's Carved In Stone
ED: Kana Hanazawa

Um... I'm just gonna come out and say it.

What in the FUCK?? Okay, I love Hnnnngazawa Kanna's seiyuu voice as much as the next mustache, but she can't fucking SING to save her life! Meanwhile they have Mizuki fucking Nana in the cast, and she is not only a super popular idol, she can really fucking sing!! Like, her singing voice is both gorgeous and powerful. The fact that they have Hanazawa Kanna singing the end and NOT Mizuki Nana is positively baffling.

fertygo

So how bad is Ga-Rei anyway(manga)? I've heard from a a couple of different places that it's extremely pedestrian compared to the prequel and not really noteworthy on any level.

Btw people should make more-non direct adaptation like this.

@Firehawk
Lina Inverse?
She's not less iconic than those name, and such like Gutts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom