• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I think it mainly looks terrible by comparison to how far everyone else in the world has gone with CG. A number of CG manage to scrape together CG animation that's reminiscent of a PS1 cutscene where as Hollywood can generate photoeralistic worlds.

Of course, you also have to consider that anyone who has actually studied CG animation to the extent that they're proficient in the craft would probably rather work in the videogame industry or some other profession that pays well.

This is also a very good point. The anime industry has some of the best traditional animators because there's nowhere else for them to go. If you're a good 3D animator you have all sorts of better options.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Valerian and Laureline ep 1

Wonderfully bad CG, waifus, time travel, fantastic dub, some nice old sci fi... I'll definitely keep watching this.

Novid

Banned
This is also a very good point. The anime industry has some of the best traditional animators because there's nowhere else for them to go. If you're a good 3D animator you have all sorts of better options.

True, and you can see the results. You have Tokiwawa which has pretty looks but bad animation but their 3d is good, where as Kingdom is TERRIBAD and should have never been funded.

Branduil

CG in anime usually looks bad because in the most application they use it as money saving method instead to make something look better.

In few time when studio use CG as visual solution, sometime the result isn't too bad.

That's true to a degree, but even being dedicated to using CGI as a legitimate technique instead of a timesaver doesn't guarantee good results. Just look at Angel Beats. Of course you also have things like Time of Eve which use a lot of CGI well, but that was the work of some dedicated crazy people so I'm not sure how representative of the industry it is.

I find the best use of CGI tends to be the more subtle usage for things such as backgrounds, where you can use it for camera shots that would be very costly in traditional animation. The Borrower Arrietty made some great use of subtle CGI.

I think the main person responsible would be Satoru Nakaya, credited as animation director and lead key animator. He was heavily involved in Noein and Birdy the Mighty Decode, both shows with distinctively rough animation styles, and was one of the animation director of the infamous episode 7 of Birdy S2.

I'm a litte late, but thanks hosannainexcelsis, I might have to check Birdy now...

Branduil

Wako and Sugata never wore those costumes in the original Star Driver right? If so then the movie definitely has to be more than just a re-arrangement + new epilogue...

I need to finish watching the show actually :3

Considering this is still Enokido Im hoping he goes the bat shit crazy route a la Utena movie...

You can always just skip to the last episode like I did. It's the only one really worth watching.

Articalys

Looks like another Fall season OP is confirmed -- rock band SID will perform the song "V.I.P" as the OP for Magi. You may know them from FMA Brotherhood OP5 "Rain" or Bleach OP13 "Ranbu no Melody".

Disgusting. Don't they realise that no flesh and blood human being has CLAMP-proportions?

I'm sure there's some disorder out there that makes your limbs all wonky like that.

Toriko 70whatever

Aw yeah, maskless Starjun! Other than that, just as boring as this little story was in the manga.

Cool stuff coming up though IIRC.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Valerian and Laureline ep 1

Wonderfully bad CG, waifus, time travel, fantastic dub, some nice old sci fi... I'll definitely keep watching this.
Welcome to the best science fiction series that has come out in recent years. No bullshit, just good characters and tropey science fiction stories from a time before everything went all serious and grimdark.

Ah, okay. Yeah I think I'm going to go back and watch some of the earlier series like Heartcatch sometime.
I would too, but I suppose the reality is that there is just too much new stuff to watch to take the time to go back and watch old stuff.

Branduil

haruhi-smile.jpg

UGUU~

What a difference a few years makes.

hmm. Actually I think I prefer S1 Haruhi over that particular picture.

Do you work for KEY?

fertygo

I miss the chance to quote this before, but is that true?
I mean there is such a specification like "Game CGI Worker" or "Anime CGI Worker"? I can't imagine that.. its a matter they got hired to do what. and CMIIW the game/other industry ordering from Anime studio's CGI facilities like Sunrise too.

Duckroll maybe can answer this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Gundam Seed 38 HD

Pleasant changes that are hard to notice unless you're paying attention. Good episode just like I remembered it to be. Too bad they used GSD pictures for the ending....

Dresden

I mean there is such a specification like "Game CGI Worker" or "Anime CGI Worker"? I can't imagine that.. its a matter they got hired to do what. and CMIIW the game/other industry ordering from Anime studio's CGI facilities like Sunrise too.

That's what he's saying, CG is a more versatile specialization because you're not restricted to animation work. Better pay and more opportunities in industries that aren't dying = more attractive.

Branduil

Well, the point is that there's a lot more money to be made in the video game industry, so they can afford to pay more for talent. The people who get hired to do CGI work for anime are likely people who can't get jobs in the video game industry.

Jex

Welcome to the best science fiction series that has come out in recent years. No bullshit, just good characters and tropey science fiction stories from a time before everything went all serious and grimdark.

But then how will I know that it's for adults?

Ultimadrago

Gunslinger Girl 9

Lauro & Elsa.

KYYNJ.png

"Hey! We didn't order cookies!"

It would seem we finally have a girl that doesn't like being "one of the gang". She is attached to her handler and only her handler. I liked Lauro's ideas on inviting others to go drinking. It makes a good amount of sense (given that one drinks, of course). People have their own ways and optimal environments for "feeling" another person out. It happens to be the bar for Lauro.

Lauro is willing to discuss the contrasting approaches he has with Guise when it comes to the girls.
He appreciates them to a degree, but can't fathom the "love" Guise shows towards his assigned soldier.
Personally, it was a characteristic I liked to watch. The common charisma and extroverted nature of Lauro definitely helped his character's indifference towards the cyborgs not feel that of ill-will. However, that is simply "not the way he does things." I was more than happy to see his character walk off with that mindset with no silent grudges against him. He's not painted with a pitch black brush even though he is moreso on the "side" which views Elsa, Henrietta, etc as tools more than people.

Additionally,
the off-tune piano added well to Elsa being thrown off of her pedestal that was set for Lauro to witness.
It was a neat (while common) musical effect that I don't believe the show has used up until now. The cinematography and editing of the scene only add effectiveness on top of that.

KrfZm.png
7iql5.png

"Dinklebeeeeeerg!"

The episode actually ends right on that note. It was a great stopping point. Again, despite the attitude Lauro shares towards the girls that others have before, I like the character. Elsa, of course, got what was coming to her.
That's what she gets for talking "smack" about Henrietta not knowing about love!

It just goes to show the distant relationship that some handlers share with their partners in order to maximize efficiency can at times hinder it instead. The "weakness" that is seen within more caring handlers (such as Guise) can show as a strength when it matters to the mission at hand. It is a beautiful irony.

Have you seen episode 26 of The Idolm@ster yet? It's another fun one made up of different short segments, such as mock movie trailers and some of the girls at a karaoke bar and stuff like that. I personally really enjoyed it and it sounds like it might be more of the type of episode you'd be interested in maybe.

No, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it since I hadn't been able to finish the show, but I suppose there's no harm. Silly Idolmaster is best Idolmaster after all.

Looks like another Fall season OP is confirmed -- rock band SID will perform the song "V.I.P" as the OP for Magi. You may know them from FMA Brotherhood OP5 "Rain" or Bleach OP13 "Ranbu no Melody".

This is a good excuse for me to post the beautiful ED 1 from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, for which they did the music. Of course, its beauty is due to the visuals more than the song, but still.

fertygo

That's what he's saying, CG is a more versatile specialization because you're not restricted to animation work. Better pay and more opportunities in industries that aren't dying = more attractive.

Well, the point is that there's a lot more money to be made in the video game industry, so they can afford to pay more for talent. The people who get hired to do CGI work for anime are likely people who can't get jobs in the video game industry.

Well in my post that got quoted by Branduil too I'm saying CGI's usage in anime usually for saving money, that involving they choose the cheap one (n use cheaper method too)to pay. Its will different if they actually want to afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom