• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
idolmaster 15

That was fun. love all the little 'skits' that happened. Show works best with the whole cast mishing and mashing around. That energy.

Producer got the swag.

Sket Dance 74

Hbyvb.jpg

Who are those guys in the back? They look familiar.

This was probably the most exaggerated episode yet in pretty much every way. Loved it. They totally upped Mimorin's bounce exponentially.

Articalys

One and a half years later, and flying in the face of the recommendations just a few posts ago to not marathon it...

Star Driver 19-25 (end)

I did this for two reasons: one, of course, is because of the movie announcement. The other is to finally get a sense of closure, since it was the first show I started watching when I began to follow currently airing anime way back in the fall of 2010.
Jumping back into this, I made absolutely no real effort to remind myself of what was actually going on plotwise, relying only on faded memories of the first eighteen episodes. It worked well enough.
Episodes 19-21 were the last dregs of the "fight-of-the-week" formula that was what had been dragging the series down and caused me to drop it back then. Somewhere in there I think they tried to explain the main bad guy's backstory, but with no context it didn't really make much sense. I think I skipped over about 40% of the non-fight scenes here.
Episode 22 was actually really cool and I liked it a lot. The play was creative, funny, good performances all around, and laden with metaphors to the actual show's plot.
Episode 23 was more or less just setup for the final two episodes.
Episode 24 was the first half of the finale and I suppose it was trying to tie together all the main plot threads revealed so far but as I'd forgotten most of them it flew over my head.

Episode 25 was, of course, goddamn amazing and makes me extremely hopeful for what the movie can do with an increased budget and a stricter focus.

Anyway, at least now I have a mental weight off my shoulders and can await February with anticipation, with the movie date coincidentally being almost two years to the date from when I dropped the show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
With such memorably Sony characters like:

Writes itself really!

Sony x Microsoft anime would be more interesting. 26 episodes of Master Chief standing around doing nothing because he has no one to fight against.

duckroll

One and a half years later, and flying in the face of the recommendations just a few posts ago to not marathon it...

Star Driver 19-25 (end)

I did this for two reasons: one, of course, is because of the movie announcement. The other is to finally get a sense of closure, since it was the first show I started watching when I began to follow currently airing anime way back in the fall of 2010.
Jumping back into this, I made absolutely no real effort to remind myself of what was actually going on plotwise, relying only on faded memories of the first eighteen episodes. It worked well enough.
Episodes 19-21 were the last dregs of the "fight-of-the-week" formula that was what had been dragging the series down and caused me to drop it back then. Somewhere in there I think they tried to explain the main bad guy's backstory, but with no context it didn't really make much sense. I think I skipped over about 40% of the non-fight scenes here.
Episode 22 was actually really cool and I liked it a lot. The play was creative, funny, good performances all around, and laden with metaphors to the actual show's plot.
Episode 23 was more or less just setup for the final two episodes.
Episode 24 was the first half of the finale and I suppose it was trying to tie together all the main plot threads revealed so far but as I'd forgotten most of them it flew over my head.

Episode 25 was, of course, goddamn amazing and makes me extremely hopeful for what the movie can do with an increased budget and a stricter focus.

Anyway, at least now I have a mental weight off my shoulders and can await February with anticipation, with the movie date coincidentally being almost two years to the date from when I dropped the show.

The play was a pretty solid episode. I think overall, there are probably like, at most 5-6 episodes in the entire series with actually important character development and interesting direction. Otherwise it's one over-long draggy series which recycles too many of the same ideas in both the drama/comedy and the action/fights. Nothing really feels like it's building up and nothing really feelings important in the show except for key moments which are far and few between.

I have to say though it's impressive that the show managed to be mostly driven by the stylishness, the outrageousness of the concept, and the appeal of the main character and the main villain. It really says a lot about the overall visual design of the show. I just wish it was better thought out. Maybe they learned a few things and will apply that to the movie...

Articalys

The play was a pretty solid episode. I think overall, there are probably like, at most 5-6 episodes in the entire series with actually important character development and interesting direction. Otherwise it's one over-long draggy series which recycles too many of the same ideas in both the drama/comedy and the action/fights. Nothing really feels like it's building up and nothing really feelings important in the show except for key moments which are far and few between.

I have to say though it's impressive that the show managed to be mostly driven by the stylishness, the outrageousness of the concept, and the appeal of the main character and the main villain. It really says a lot about the overall visual design of the show. I just wish it was better thought out. Maybe they learned a few things and will apply that to the movie...
Well, being forced to adhere to a ~1.5-2 hour time limit should definitely help keep the movie plot from meandering and cut down on the stock footage/repetition factor. There's still more than a few plot points to juggle, but I'm sure that for whatever re-envisioning of the story they've got in mind, they can make it work.

Branduil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-cbyuJcIUA

Oh, you said mix it up.

Well I haven't posted it in this iteration of the thread yet I'm pretty sure.

Well it's always a good listen.

On the subject of anime music:

Natsuzora - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

One More Time, One More Chance - 5 cm Per Second

Otozureta Henka - Bunny Drop

Lost My Pieces - Toradora

Uninstall - Bokurano

Groovin' Magic - Diebuster

Kiseki no Umi - Record of Lodoss War TV

Platinum - Card Captor Sakura

Sakamichi no Melody - Kids on the Slope

Puzzle - Welcome to the NHK

La Divina Tragedia - Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Kami-sama no Iu Toori - The Tatami Galaxy

Anamnesis - Another

Above Your Hand - Sankarea

Ailes Grises - Haibane Renmei

Kiseki - Birdy the Mighty Decode

Drift Mind - Monster

Chain - Escaflowne

The Beginning of the End - Fate/Zero

Voices - Macross Plus

Ray of Light - Hanasaku Iroha

Decretum - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Tsumi - Fullmetal Alchemist

Apollon Blue - Kids on the Slope

Sore Dokoro Ja, Nai - Hidamari Sketch

Angel of Doom - Evangelion 1.0

Gunbuster March - Gunbuster

Inazuma Double Kick - Diebuster

Main Theme - Le Portrait de Petit Cossette

Chiesa - Gunslinger Girl

Mameshiba - Earth Girl Arjuna

Girl with Power - Earth Girl Arjuna

Power of the Light - Brain Powerd

First Love Final Love - Genesis of Aquarion

Okay that got really out of hand.

Branduil

Nah, DBZ has a lot of really nice looking episodes, but it is Toei levels of inconsistent of course. Often times they're followed by the C team episodes, and it's really noticable when they draw stuff that already happened in the recaps/early episode segments.

From this

to this

In one episode.

comp12.png

Why do they even bother redrawing it? Why not just reuse the footage?

cajunator

Banned
Thanks guys. I cant wait to chill for a few hours when Im off work and listen to all of that lovely music.
I love you all. Do not ever forget it.

trejo

I think the biggest difference is how in one image Frieza has been clearly sliced clean in half while in the other one there's just this lazy thick black line that attempts to represent that.

Branduil

Ouran High School Host Club 15

The background art got better than usual after moving to the Karuizawa vacation setting, with pleasant clouds in the sky and everything. Of course, that just makes more glaring the ugliness of the normal appearance of the sky, painted a stark and artificial shade of blue with no clouds or proper color variations at all. I've gotten used to that by now, but the bump in quality makes me wish all the episodes could have at least this level of backgrounds. The early digital age really was painful; I sure am glad the general standard of digital art has improved since then.

Digital art has improved, but I don't think completely flat and empty skies have ever been an acceptable standard.

wonzo

Banned
Sengoku Collection 23

Oh my god. This entire episode was pretty much the Romance of the Three Kingdoms meets a pre-school sandbox. This was hands down one of the best episodes of this series I've seen, if not the best.

sengokuc23d.jpg

duckroll

Presumably (I could be talking out of my ass here) because the episodes were in production at the same time, since it's 120 and 121 in this example, and they were handled by totally different staff who didn't have the other material on hand to "reuse" at the time they were producing it? Maybe they just winged it and didn't want to have to rush and re-insert the finished footage from 120 and edit it again.

Dresden

Sengoku Collection 23

Oh my god. This entire episode was pretty much the Romance of the Three Kingdoms meets a pre-school sandbox. This was hands down one of the best episodes of this series I've seen, if not the best.

sengokuc23d.jpg

This show is so weird.

cajunator

Banned
Sengoku Collection 23

sengokuc23d.jpg

That apple reminded me of a behelit and makes me want to watch Berserk.

wonzo

Banned
That apple reminded me of a behelit and makes me want to watch Berserk.
Well, both are red and born from great tragedies!

The upcoming twelfth volume of the Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai light novel series will be the final volume.

This means that when the second season airs, we might actually get a conclusion to the story in it as well.
They better give everyone ends in a true VN tradition or I'm gonna be mad as hell.
manami ;_;

Looks like another Fall season OP is confirmed -- rock band SID will perform the song "V.I.P" as the OP for Magi. You may know them from FMA Brotherhood OP5 "Rain" or Bleach OP13 "Ranbu no Melody".
One of the best Bleach ops, still disappointed we didnt get it in the Bleach Soul Resurrecion game, just some awkward instrumental, possibly third best op after harukaze, ichirin no Hana, and d-technolife (best). This will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom