• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

HEY! That never happened. It didn't happen. T_T.... Why......

I really don't understand your issue with 2 years worth of semen. It's beautiful.

CJkuL.png

HxH 2011 46

OMGGGGG YYYEESSSSSSSSS. It's gonna happen next episode!

i2kYebT9HAROC.gif

idorus > snakefaces

I accidentally read the first panel as "Where do you want the dick?"

Awkward.

The best way to encourage the thread to discuss topics you're interested in is to introduce and sustain that discussion yourself.

Are there any other sources? You could do a similar poll in the US and that list would be radically different. It probably wouldn't be perfectly representative but it would pretty close I wager to a general viewpoint. You could look at BD/DVD sales and I have a feeling it would match up fairly well except for a few outliers such as Hyouka.

I don't intend to deny that Japanese and Western anime fandom are different (though I suspect that running a similar poll on Crunchyroll wouldn't be as different as you make it out to be), and certainly that poll reflects the large fanbases of certain franchises like K-ON and Gundam. However, I don't think you should read too much into the presence or absence of any particular item. Generally, I feel that BIGLOBE polls should be taken with a large grain of salt (if you take them at all). They're not scientific surveys.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't intend to deny that Japanese and Western anime fandom are different (though I suspect that running a similar poll on Crunchyroll wouldn't be as different as you make it out to be), and certainly that poll reflects the large fanbases of certain franchises like K-ON and Gundam. However, I don't think you should read too much into the presence or absence of any particular item. Generally, I feel that BIGLOBE polls should be taken with a large grain of salt (if you take them at all). They're not scientific surveys.

I mean all these surveys are going to be subjective to self-selecting bias. It's not like you can do SRS with this. You can't factually state that this is representative of Japan as a whole as the populace in general would have Bleach,Naruto, and One Piece at the top. I would say it does give a little insight into the general viewpoints for certain otaku bases. Like if you did something similar in the West, I would bet money that

Sasami
Perfect Blue
Doraemon
Boku Wa
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Rozen Maiden

wouldn't make the cut. There's also a good other 5 that would be very unlikely as well. Tastes are pretty different although there is of course overlap.

This really sounds like one of those trashy romance novels. I'm surprised it wasn't turned into an ero-VN.

I mean all these surveys are going to be subjective to self-selecting bias. It's not like you can do SRS with this. You can't factually state that this is representative of Japan as a whole as the populace in general would have Bleach,Naruto, and One Piece at the top. I would say it does give a little insight into the general viewpoints for certain otaku bases. Like if you did something similar in the West, I would bet money that

Sasami
Perfect Blue
Doraemon
Boku Wa
Rozen Maiden

wouldn't make the cut. There's also a good other 5 that would be very unlikely as well. Tastes are pretty different although there is of course overlap.

This really sounds like one of those trashy romance novels. I'm surprised it wasn't turned into a VN.

I doubt the populace would have Bleach and/or Naruto on top. One Piece would definitely be exponentially higher than the number 2 spot.

This really sounds like one of those trashy romance novels. I'm surprised it wasn't turned into an ero-VN.

It's not actually in the published novel. The actual moment is in chapter 16, but there's also an online-only 16.5. It doesn't read nearly that awfully in Japanese either.

Jarmel

Banned
I doubt the populace would have Bleach and/or Naruto on top. One Piece would definitely be exponentially higher than the number 2 spot.

You're right, I exaggerated that. Bleach's star has been crashing for awhile now. They would still make the list though and I would be pretty surprised if they weren't near the top. There's a few shoujo ones that would probably be pretty high too.

I mean all these surveys are going to be subjective to self-selecting bias. It's not like you can do SRS with this. You can't factually state that this is representative of Japan as a whole as the populace in general would have Bleach,Naruto, and One Piece at the top.

If you want something that's representative of what's popular among Japan as a whole, it exists: TV ratings. The same long-running shows consistently dominate:

Sazae-san
Crayon Shin-chan
Doraemon
Chibi Maruko-chan
Detective Conan
One Piece

With Toriko, Precure, and some other stuff on a lower level.

I would say it does give a little insight into the general viewpoints for certain otaku bases. Like if you did something similar in the West, I would bet money that

Sasami
Perfect Blue
Doraemon
Boku Wa
Rozen Maiden

The thing is, when you get down into the bottom of that list it becomes completely worthless. 14 people voted for Sasami and Perfect Blue - that's not a significant number by any means - and Rozen Maiden isn't much better at 63 people. If you want to find out what franchises are popular with otaku, sales and even Comiket doujins would be more reliable indicators.

Jarmel

Banned
If you want something that's representative of what's popular among Japan as a whole, it exists: TV ratings. The same long-running shows consistently dominate:

Sazae-san
Crayon Shin-chan
Doraemon
Chibi Maruko-chan
Detective Conan
One Piece

With Toriko, Precure, and some other stuff on a lower level.

The thing is, when you get down into the bottom of that list it becomes completely worthless. 14 people voted for Sasami and Perfect Blue - that's not a significant number by any means - and Rozen Maiden isn't much better at 63 people. If you want to find out what franchises are popular with otaku, sales and even Comiket doujins would be more reliable indicators.

If we're looking at anime viewers as a whole then, that would support the thesis that anime viewers in the East have different tastes compared to the West. Hell, I highly doubt a good percentage of people who view anime in the West have seen more than a couple of episodes of any of those except possibly Conan and One Piece. Shin-chan comes and goes on AS so I would still rank it low. Then you also have to separate anime viewers as a whole from otaku, the type of people who watch Boku wa or Schooldays. I was thinking more in terms of otaku as general perception of 'anime-viewers' is going to be radically different anyway as very little anime is show on TV in the West and so anime-viewers have to seek it out much more. Atleast with otaku, you have two hardcore bases to 'compare' in regards to taste.

Even near the top, there's a few that probably wouldn't make a list or atleast be pretty low. Sales is indeed a solid indicator but again I don't think it'll diverge that much from the list. There are a few mediocre selling works on that list such as Hyouka but a very good majority of them were solid hits.

I was under the impression that Satoshi Kon was better known/respected internationally than in Japan, at least during his lifetime.

That I don't know however I still would say he's not exactly mainstream in the West.

Necrovex

Sword art stuff:
So if Kirito had sex with Asuna in the latest episode, would that mean he would have made a mess of himself in real life? Would his RL body react in that way? What would his mother and sister think when they see him, and they see a sticky mess seeping through the sheets?!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And we all know how that turned out. *Isn't up-to-date with the manga*

Oh I know. I'm all caught up. Right now it's totally not balanced. BO totally winning. We get Sera and Okiya so I guess that's better than nothing. lol.

Sword art stuff:
So if Kirito had sex with Asuna in the latest episode, would that mean he would have made a mess of himself in real life? Would his RL body react in that way? What would his mother and sister think when they see him, and they see a sticky mess seeping through the sheets?!

That's not how nervgear works. All signals from the brain that would go out to the body is redirected to the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sword art stuff:
"I'm going to be a grandmother/aunt."

icecream

Public Health Threat
Reading it will definitely give a fuller picture, as the anime cut a bunch of things. But the presentation in the anime is much better than the light novels...

Sword Art 09

Good to know Kirito still keeps his thoughts with the best girl when on the verge of death.

Narag

Crimson Wolf

This was largely forgettable outside of some nice animation that came and went. The plane scene was pretty awesome if brief and the ending gave me Harmageddon vibes what with the full-on nonsense going on against the backdrop of beautifully animated dragons. I think one turned into a giant Chairman Mao at one point so I think that's a plus too.

Speaking of which... potions in SAO aren't HOT?

Wonder if they have cooldown, or you just maplestory your way through the game with pot spamming.

Are there alchemists/potion makers in the game?

So... is SAO worth a read? I'm feeling like i'm only getting like half the picture from the anime.

Actually i just wanna read some glop glop.

No clue if the English translation is any good, but I enjoyed the first volume a lot.

There's a lot of technical details about the game that the anime couldn't get into.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Speaking of which... potions in SAO aren't HOT?

Wonder if they have cooldown, or you just maplestory your way through the game with pot spamming.

Are there alchemists/potion makers in the game?

Potions are HOT. Asuna uses a heal crystal which is much more expensive but instant.

Instro

Accel World 22

So he has a girl undressing for him and he won't do anything. He is certainly no Kirito that's for sure. We had a bit of crossover this week with the mention of the NerveGear as well as (SAO LN spoilers)
the Brain Implant Chip that Kirito has been talking about in Alicization. Interesting that it apparently was outlawed after 3 years, I suppose that will be another adventure for Kirito since he wants to go research and work on that tech.

The real world storyline continues to be awful, the fighting pit section in the game world was cool though. Panther maid really knows how to play it cool, although I don't really get why the dude would fight them in a 2 on 1.

If we're looking at anime viewers as a whole then, that would support the thesis that anime viewers in the East have different tastes compared to the West. Hell, I highly doubt a good percentage of people who view anime in the West have seen more than a couple of episodes of any of those except possibly Conan and One Piece. Shin-chan comes and goes on AS so I would still rank it low. Then you also have to separate anime viewers as a whole from otaku, the type of people who watch Boku wa or Schooldays. I was thinking more in terms of otaku as general perception of 'anime-viewers' is going to be radically different anyway as very little anime is show on TV in the West and so anime-viewers have to seek it out much more. Atleast with otaku, you have two hardcore bases to 'compare' in regards to taste.

I feel that this discussion has gotten away from me a bit. I'll just say that I do think "mainstream" anime viewers in Japan and the West have quite different tastes, although that has much to do with what they've been exposed to. On the other hand, I think hardcore otaku share similar tastes across geographical regions, as looking at sites such as MAL and Animesuki will show.

Even near the top, there's a few that probably wouldn't make a list or atleast be pretty low. Sales is indeed a solid indicator but again I don't think it'll diverge that much from the list. There are a few mediocre selling works on that list such as Hyouka but a very good majority of them were solid hits.

Where is this impression that Hyouka has mediocre sales coming from? It may not be a 40k massive hit like K-ON, but its >9k sales are still respectable and better than the vast majority of anime shows.

That I don't know however I still would say he's not exactly mainstream in the West.

Among mainstream Western film critics, Kon is probably the most visible Japanese animation director behind Miyazaki, although he would be way behind Miyazaki.

Necrovex

The LN is actually pretty good. i enjoyed it.

Probably would be nice to understand how the world works in SAO. I might give the LN a try when I learn a little more Japanese. Are the novels written in hiragana and katakana, or is it mostly in kanji?

cajunator

Banned
Sword art stuff:

Doubtful.
Although the game is in their mind it doesnt seem to affect physical movement.

Reading it will definitely give a fuller picture, as the anime cut a bunch of things. But the presentation in the anime is much better than the light novels...
Sword Art 09

Good to know Kirito still keeps his thoughts with the best girl when on the verge of
death.

Sachi is second best girl for sure. Her only fault is not being Lizbeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom