• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my thesis was that you can't sell a text with an inherently grumpy and unlikeable main character without grounding it in something else. For the sake of anime, it seems that you need to set it in high school because that's what everyone else does.
For American or British shows, you need either relationship angst or mysteries to solve to make up for the fact that the lead is an asshole who treats everyone else like they're inherently inferior to him in some way.

Of course, Oreki isn't full asshole - he's just anti-social, but still. I have to imagine the high school hook is why a lot of people would have gravitated to the text in the first place.

You should probably watch more mystery anime then. Being an asshole is pretty common for detective protags in all mediums.

Sword Art Online - 10

Hohoh, well that was surprising.

I wasn't expecting them to cover so much of the 1st volume in one episode, but considering they don't have much time left it makes sense. The duel was about as long as I was expecting, but I was a little disappointed with Kuradeel not getting to talk about his Asuna obsession. 10 felt a bit disjointed due to the way we hopped around so much, but on the whole I thought it was a good episode.

Minor novel spoiler
Looks like they'll be adapting another short story from the 2nd volume next episode. I'm wondering if they're going to combine it with the fishing tale from vol. 1 or if they're going to cut that entirely. I hope not. =(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You should probably watch more mystery anime then. Being an asshole is pretty common for detective protags in all mediums.
Well, it's only in the 90s or 00s that asshole detectives really became a thing here. There were damaged cops and whatnot in the 80s, but you were still supposed to sympathize with them in some way. Vic Mackey changed the game, although most shows don't go that far. lol
Even then, you still have mostly likable, charismatic characters as cops in these things because it's typically easier that way.

And, as for mystery anime, it's not like there are a lot of shows to watch about just normal cops in Japan solving cases (by reading faces, thanks LA Noire OT). You have to go to jdrama for that, for better or for worse. (Strawberry Night being the last recent one that comes to mind)

I suppose I could do Lupin, but again, backlog.

Nafe

It's funny how the show will go from serious action to ecchi commedy, and sometimes within the same scene. Maybe that's why I like it.

Yeah, such as that scene dealing with Goemon and the rifle. I liked how Goemon sprang back up and everyone's reactions.

Have you ever played the arcade version? I had a chance once a few years ago and it was just as bullshit as the GCN version.

No, unfortunately I never did. I did like that you could at least unlock the AX cup and characters without having to go to arcades though. I hate DLC and miss unlocking stuff :(
Current practices and designs in the game industry right now are making me play and buy much less than I would have otherwise.

It's been a few years since I've played the game, what was bad about it? Maybe there was some severe rubber banding or something and I'm just blocking that kind of stuff from memory.

Well, if Wikipedia is to be believed, Mitsuishi is the primary reason the show was animated in the first place. She was reading it and laughing as they were recording her lines for Evangelion and got the staff there interested in the manga. So I suppose it'd be fitting that they'd let her take on the leading role. :)

Hah! That's pretty neat if true. I'll have to check for that detail about Misato's beer in Evangelion too when I get around to watching the whole thing through.

She's not a bad character per se, she's just a horrible human being. In the same way as, say, I would find it impossible to enjoy a certain character on Breaking Bad this season. The difference is that Breaking Bad had 4 years to build up to that while Binbougami Ga starts off with the main character being a horrible human being.

Yeah, others have mentioned they don't mind Ichiko's character in the context of the show but if she were a real person they really would hate her.

Sword Art Online 10
j9zls7KS2Iiyc.jpg

I like this guy.

Up and down and up and down and up and down. It's like the show is afraid of being great.

Foreveralone continues to be a terrible character despite his
crazy as fuck facial expressions
. I was soooo hyped when
Asuna started beating the shit out of him
, but then
LOL GARY STU POWERS ACTIVATE
and I fucking raged so hard.

Everything that happened at Asuna's house was fantastic.
They nailed the atmosphere as it shifted from romantic to awkward and back, and it really felt like I was watching two naive teenagers fumble around each other. Kirito proposing felt perfectly natural given how innocent and clueless they both are. The character designs really helped sell this.

By the way, I think some of you need to pay closer attention. It was pretty clear that
they fucked.
Can we stop with the waifu wars now?

No, unfortunately I never did. I did like that you could at least unlock the AX cup and characters without having to go to arcades though. I hate DLC and miss unlocking stuff :(
Current practices and designs in the game industry right now are making me play and buy much less than I would have otherwise.

It's been a few years since I've played the game, what was bad about it? Maybe there was some severe rubber banding or something and I'm just blocking that kind of stuff from memory.

There's no rubber banding that I can remember. It's just that the tracks are difficult the AI are relentless and the the slightest mistake will cost you severely.
It's just really hard.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah! That's pretty neat if true. I'll have to check for that detail about Misato's beer in Evangelion too when I get around to watching the whole thing through.
You know, the only crazy thing I really remember the series for is that it suggests that women have
rape fantasies
. I suppose if you want to be edgy, that's the way to do it.

Yeah, others have mentioned they don't mind Ichiko's character in the context of the show but if she were a real person they really would hate her.
I can't even stand her in the context of the show is the problem. lol

wonzo

Banned
Idol Master 24

holy shit, all that feels.... T____T

So what ever happen to that wallet haruka bought?
easily the funniest episode of iM@S!

This is the true answer. I honestly feel that
Kirito is gonna fuck them all.
unlimited babby works

1. K-on!
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4. Gintama
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
6. Hyōka
7. Bakemonogatari
8. A Certain Magical Index
9. Code Geass
10. Gundam (whole thing)
11. Any Key anime (such as Clannad)
12. Lucky Star
13. Natsume Yūjin-chō
14. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
15. Detective Conan
16. Dragon Ball (all of it... didn't exclude GT)
17. Toradora!
18. (tie) Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (all)
18. (tie) Macross (again, not even Zero is left out)
20. Umineko: When They Cry (not Higurashi)
21. Pokemon
22. Doraemon
23. Genesis of Aquarion (not Evol)
24. Fate (/stay night and zero)
25. Sengoku Basara
26. Shakugan no Shana
27. Sailor Moon (all seasons)
28. Death Note
29. Certain Scientific Railgun
30. Bleach

31. Ghost in the Shell
32. Gurren Lagann
33. Durarara!!
34. Rozen Maiden (former PM Taro Aso approves)
35. Pretty Cure (all of it)
36. Prince of Tennis
37. Space Battleship Yamato
38. SchoolDays
39. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
40. Inazuma Eleven (all)
41. Millennium Actress
42. Card Captor Sakura
43. Urusei Yatsura
44. (tie) Sasami: Magical Girls Club
44. (tie) Perfect Blue​

hanklaugh-9cc.gif

biglobe strikes again

By the way, I think some of you need to pay closer attention. It was pretty clear that
they fucked.
Can we stop with the waifu wars now?

...Wait, you mean that wasn't the most obvious thing in the world?

Cause I'm pretty sure that
Asuna being naked in bed and Kirito sitting off to the side kind of makes that obvious. And you know, the whole fade to black.

Idol master Finale

Holy shit. So much 2d dancing. So much genki. Such a solid ending.

Show was fantastic. So much energy and warmth. Smart decision for them not to really go into the 'fan side'. And the faces really grew on me (Them mouths do occasionally sit on the wrong part of the face, and faces do get a bit rectangular at times....), but the smiles are so good!

I do wish iori and the twins had more showtime. And at the end, only Producer and Chief haven't sang yet. Still have no clue wtf was up with the baddie president. They really should have played him off as a silly villain instead of trying to make it serious (and failing), but otherwise, a fantastic show. Can't recall any other show of recent that I watched the ED.

9.5/10

If I gotta choose... team miki.... or makoto.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
HELL'S MOTHERFUCKING ANGELS:

v3c1Ql.jpg
5o6KNl.jpg

P4GD2l.jpg
arQSfl.jpg

bottom right: Geneijin avatar sighting!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What happens when you take a typical genki high school girl, throw her into a hotblooded hell teeming with monsters and run by fuckin' DEMON ELVIS, and
force her to man the fuck up against a psychotic bishounen villain with a grudge going back to THE BEGINNING OF TIME
? You get greatness, that's what. TWO SOLID HOURS of bold, frenetic, batshit insane sketchbook scribble art and action set in an acid trip color palette with a really freaking cool cast of characters and a story that starts out as a grotesque and badass take on typical high school anime and seamlessly escalates into some damned fine high-stakes battle shounen (with a touch of Arjuna!) It really is the most :cosmic thing in the universe.

Don't expect great things from the plot--it drags slightly in the second half and nothing that occurs is particularly deep, thought-provoking, novel, subversive, or anything like that--but it's undoubtedly the sensory anime experience of the year by a mile and a total absolute joy to watch if you're in the mood for something that's first and foremost really really cool. I can't believe that this took for years to release, but better late than never. I really hope that this gets licensed by Funi/Sentai/etc. because this is the rare sort of anime movie that I'll want to watch several more times in the future and aggressively pitch to friends.

what are you waiting for WATCH IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

...Wait, you mean that wasn't the most obvious thing in the world?

Cause I'm pretty sure that
Asuna being naked in bed and Kirito sitting off to the side kind of makes that obvious. And you know, the whole fade to black.
Maybe
it was too hard for some people to believe that an anime would feature the main couple getting freaky halfway through the series.
I mean, I'm sure it happens, but not that I've seen.

Defuser

easily the funniest episode of iM@S!

unlimited babby works

1. K-on!
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4. Gintama
5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
6. Hyōka
7. Bakemonogatari
8. A Certain Magical Index
9. Code Geass
10. Gundam (whole thing)
11. Any Key anime (such as Clannad)
12. Lucky Star
13. Natsume Yūjin-chō
14. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
15. Detective Conan
16. Dragon Ball (all of it... didn't exclude GT)
17. Toradora!
18. (tie) Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (all)
18. (tie) Macross (again, not even Zero is left out)
20. Umineko: When They Cry (not Higurashi)
21. Pokemon
22. Doraemon
23. Genesis of Aquarion (not Evol)
24. Fate (/stay night and zero)
25. Sengoku Basara
26. Shakugan no Shana
27. Sailor Moon (all seasons)
28. Death Note
29. Certain Scientific Railgun
30. Bleach
31. Ghost in the Shell
32. Gurren Lagann
33. Durarara!!
34. Rozen Maiden (former PM Taro Aso approves)
35. Pretty Cure (all of it)
36. Prince of Tennis
37. Space Battleship Yamato
38. SchoolDays
39. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
40. Inazuma Eleven (all)
41. Millennium Actress
42. Card Captor Sakura
43. Urusei Yatsura
44. (tie) Sasami: Magical Girls Club
44. (tie) Perfect Blue​

hanklaugh-9cc.gif

biglobe strikes again
Hey don't be dissing Index and Railgun, I need my gender equiltiy punching.

So will Hells Angels be eligible for AOTY if it was just recently made available to the public even though it was technically "released" in 2008?

wonzo

Banned
Or you'll get an answer come bluray time. Time to cash in on that 16.5 mania.
But what if the glorious BluRays fail to answer the paradox of Schrodinger's GLOP? What then???

Idol master Finale

Holy shit. So much 2d dancing. So much genki. Such a solid ending.

Show was fantastic. So much energy and warmth. Smart decision for them not to really go into the 'fan side'. And the faces really grew on me (Them mouths do occasionally sit on the wrong part of the face, and faces do get a bit rectangular at times....), but the smiles are so good!

I do wish iori and the twins had more showtime. And at the end, only Producer and Chief haven't sang yet. Still have no clue wtf was up with the baddie president. They really should have played him off as a silly villain instead of trying to make it serious (and failing), but otherwise, a fantastic show. Can't recall any other show of recent that I watched the ED.

9.5/10

If I gotta choose... team miki.... or makoto.
Don't forget about episode 26!

HELL'S MOTHERFUCKING ANGELS:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
hellyeahthumbsup.gif

So will Hells Angels be eligible for AOTY if it was just recently made available to the public even though it was technically "released" in 2008?
I don't see why not TBQH. Just make sure we wait a couple of months for the hype to die down and any multiple cour shows still running before we start the vote.

Dresden

I think I started out as Team Miki, hopped on Team Makoto, and ended up Team Chihaya.

dirty secret is that i don't hate any of the girls

It was unavailable until now, so yeah.

Uchip

Banned
Maybe
it was too hard for some people to believe that an anime would feature the main couple getting freaky halfway through the series.
I mean, I'm sure it happens, but not that I've seen.

People seem to be forgetting that they're all in a videogame
getting freaky doesnt make sense

If it did have that function, the creator sure as hell wouldnt have bothered making an MMO

People seem to be forgetting that they're all in a videogame
getting freaky
doesnt make sense

If it did have that function, the creator sure as hell wouldnt have bothered making an MMO
It does, and the creator made an MMO to trap a relatively tiny amount of people in. It's not like he was trying to make a commercial success.

Iblard Jikan

Pure eye candy. It's like walking through an art gallery in which all the paintings have come to life. Actually, that's pretty much literally what this is. Naohisa Inoue is an artist whose paintings are all set in Iblard, the fantastical, surreal world he created. When the first Tokyo exhibition of his works was being held in 1994, Inoue, a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki, invited the director to attend. He didn't think Miyazaki would deign to show up, but lo and behold he did, and was so impressed that he invited Inoue to join the art team for Whisper of the Heart, in which his paintings were used for the fantasy sequences. (This reminds me that I badly need to rewatch that film.) This connection eventually resulted in this short film, for which Inoue got Ghibli to animate elements of his paintings. The grass waves in the breeze, the waves crash on the shore, the inhabitants of this world walk (and fly) through the landscapes, all to the backdrop of gentle music and ambient sounds. The film is split up into collections of paintings revolving roughly around similar themes or settings, each separated by a fade to black, and although there's not much of an overarching structure, there's a vague "day in the life" feeling created, as the first part shows characters setting out from home and the final part shows them returning from their day's journey. It's an incredibly pleasing and soothing watch. Inoue's art is overwhelmingly rich in detail and creativity, and I will have to see if I can purchase some of his compilation books to peruse at my leisure.

(Jexhius would chide me if I did not mention that there are a couple appearances of CG machines, whose lack of detail stands out poorly. This would be my only criticism, and it's a slight one.)

Uchip

Banned
It does, and the creator made an MMO to trap a relatively tiny amount of people in. It's not like he was trying to make a commercial success.

right
and there was no age restrictions to the game?
I guess I shouldn't be thinking too much about a headset that somehow has the ability to fry brains passing safety restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom