• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Here's how much of a troll they are, the new Magi PV uses every single previous animation cut from the previous teasers (all 12 of them!) and adds just ONE new animation cut of less than 0.5 seconds:

kAQBU.jpg

CG camels? :(

Mai Mai Miracle

What an irresistibly charming and sweet film. I really enjoy historical slice-of-life narratives for the glimpse they provide into another world, and this not only provided one into 1950s rural Japan but also into feudal Japan through Shinko's imagination. The environment was realized with loving detail, and both the modern and feudal towns were rich with life. One visual touch that I really liked was the lighting; it lent extra impact to emotionally significant moments:

The cast was likable all around. The development of the friendship between the main pair, Shinko and Kiiko, was especially strong. (
Alcohol: always the quickest way to become friends.
)

If I were to nitpick, it would be that the editing wasn't 100% smooth; when you're intermingling fantasy and reality you have to be very careful about how you do it and some of the transitions ended up feeling abrupt or clunky, while some of the scenes could have been extended a bit to let their impact sink in. However, the dual climax paralleling Kiiko imagining herself as the princess and Shinko was really sharp. I was surprised by how dark the film became there, yet it never became heavy-handed and treated its sensitive topics with a delicate touch. The fresh-faced idealism of youth has to face a world which isn't ideal and indeed can be quite ugly, but at the end of the day is nonetheless filled with hope and love.

Lastly, the end credits song is simply beautiful.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm so grateful that I can actually unsee the ricebowls. I just wish everyone's teeth weren't so fucking huge.

Hakuoki Reimeiroku 10

They make it hard to 100% dislike Serizawa san
Helping the girl kicked out of her home, who attempted to kill him, by offering her a place to stay, and then getting them a position to get more honor to the Shinsengumi name, etc. I did laugh when he had his sickness episode and then hit Ibuki, I love when he does that and Ibuki's response.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mai Mai Miracle
7th: best yuri film of 2010.

I've wanted to revisit the film after watching Poppy Hill, to see how nostalgia is configured in the text. It's funny that both are looks back at "simpler times", but even then, both films feel the need to look back even further - although Mai Mai goes way back of course.

I don't remember how the whole situation at the end of MMM resolved it self though, with regards to the whole
dead dad
thing. I expect it was all fairly :firehawk, since the ending is pretty much that (and nicely mirrored the first act) but otherwise, I remember it just... ending.

In fact, now that I think about, there was another anime that Geneijin showed me that was set in the 60s that had a similar plot that ended in a similarly definitive but not necessarily satisfactory conclusive note.

I still love the main theme of the movie though. It's very fun and airy.

I don't remember how the whole situation at the end of MMM resolved it self though, with regards to the whole
dead dad
thing. I expect it was all fairly :firehawk, since the ending is pretty much that (and nicely mirrored the first act) but otherwise, I remember it just... ending.

Well,
so Shinko and Tatsuyoshi, the son of the policeman who committed suicide, confront the yakuza in Bar California. One of the yakuza mentions that the policeman had showed him how to carve a top, which causes Tatsuyoshi to recall how he had rejected his drunken father's offer to teach him that. He goes on to break down in angry tears, mourning all that he had not gotten to do with his father that he would now never get to do. He and Shinko go running out of the bar. Afterwards, he tells her that he is leaving the next day to live with his mother's relatives in Osaka, and resolves that when he becomes an adult he'll teach his children how to carve tops. He gives her his sword and says goodbye.

I like the way this acknowledges the pain and tragedy in this world that doesn't have a simple answer, that you can't make go away by simply waving your Mai Mai. How do you respond to this tragedy? Is it by picking up your sword and giving into the destructive impulses of revenge? Is it by dwelling in the past of lost opportunities? No. It is by looking to the future, and turning the pain you've experienced into something constructive, something that benefits others. Tatsuyoshi's dad was not brought back from the dead, yet the miracle of bringing life out of death still took place inside his son. It's a miracle we can all strive to live up to in our daily lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom