• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

hyouka - 21

Fucking great episode. I'm so sad that it'll end, although I have the film arc to go back to. The duplicity of the reveal/confession on both sides at the end, and then the conclusion... so pleasing.

Also, Oreki is fucked. He's dead meat in ten years.

QUAlj.jpg
IMoti.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 1

So let me get this straight- in the future, mankind has invented virtual reality helmets that have no failsafe feature for disabling them; in addition, they can emit microwaves that will kill you. I can only conclude their manufacturer has amazing lobbyists. Everyone who put these things on of their own free will deserves to win a Darwin Award. And apparently we solve battery tech in the next ten years because the helmet somehow runs on self-contained power.

You know, the conflict between wanting to escape, and at the same time finding the virtual world more enjoyable than the real one, could be an impetus for some interesting character development in a good show. I don't think I have faith that this is a good show, even though this episode was very well produced.

Also, how in the world would the creator of this game
not get apprehended within days? Everyone knows who he is and he'd have to operate a server network of some kind.
Oh well, I guess you're not supposed to actually think about the premise.

Sometimes thinking just ruins things.

Jarmel

Banned
They're not really unknown. They just don't work on anime. The same can be said of Motohiro, who has never worked on an anime production before. The composer Yuugo Kanno is not someone who is particularly prolific in anime work either, since he usually composes for live action dramas and movies. With how "everything is the same" being a common complaint against the anime industry, especially creatively, I don't think it's surprising that when people are trying to create something original or different, they turn to people outside of the industry or someone with a different perspective to work on it.

Some random examples:

- Re:Cutie Honey and Gurren Lagann were both written by a playwright who isn't an anime screenwriter. He handle the series composition as well.

- Usagi Drop's script and series composition was handled by a new screenwriter, and it was his first job.

- Fate/Zero's screenplays were adapted by a team of internal Ufotable staff assisted by Takumi Miyajima. None of the staff are screenwriters by trade, but rather office staff who were given a chance to improve their skills in the areas they had interest in, Miyajima is not an anime writer either, he is a videogame writer who has worked on a ton of shitty Tales games.

There are probably many more examples which I simply can't think of at the moment because they're not related to stuff at the top of my mind, but in general, it's important to remember that the entertainment industry in any region is usually not a very big space. Even across different mediums, people know each other, and are actively aware of other works and productions which interest them. So it's not really that unusual that such people from time to time will cross over and work in spaces they have not previously worked in. It really depends on the opportunity given by producers and project leaders. What is obvious is that Psycho-Pass is definitely a project that FujiTV wants to be "more than just anime" in terms of demographic reach.

Fair enough. I definitely agree that FujiTV seems to be pushing the whole 'more than just anime' component which might be a primary reason why Takaha was brought onboard. I was mainly curious about their skill levels and what their specialties were. Identifying a 'weak link' if you will. I'm aware that it doesn't really work like that in productions and Urobuchi would be supervising however it's an interesting difference to note compared to Madoka where it seemed he did all the work. I misphrased it when I said they were unknown as I don't know if Takaha is famous as a Japanese playwright, I meant more in terms of anime-related works/culture. I found some of the plays she worked on but I'm definitely not proficient enough to read through the reviews of her works. I'm not opposed to something or someone different however I would like them to be good. In fact I think a playwright is a fairly interesting pick as I think certain concepts in plays, such as formatting, might work out well in an animated format. As for Fukami, after my initial post I had finished YGC and I could easily why Urobuchi picked her. She's just as screwed up as he is. She also likes to cover similar themes as he does. I do wonder if Fukami does live-action stuff on the side as well and it might have been something on the live-action side that piqued someone's interest. She also loves her Western references it seems and likes to ponder philosophical stuff.

In short, I trust Urobuchi to tell a well-written story but I don't know enough about the other two.

I will say this, Psycho-Pass definitely seems that it will be an unique anime production(for good or for bad). Hopefully it does well,both critically and financially, so we might see other professionals in other disciplines take a shot at doing an anime production.

I agree with you to some extent. There really isn't any need to see what is going on in the real world. However, I do think glossing over certain stuff in the game world isn't the most effective way to tell this story. Yeah, we don't need to see every single floor explored and completed, but that also doesn't mean we should jump beyond the halfway point in no time at all.
It's not like it goes from floor 1 to floor 70 in one episode. The story features events from throughout the tower.
Well, it's generally a good idea if your premise seems well-thought out.
It is well thought-out, though. If you want to assume that it isn't because you don't have faith in the writer, then that's not really the show's fault, is it?

Instro

Sword Art Online 1

So let me get this straight- in the future, mankind has invented virtual reality helmets that have no failsafe feature for disabling them; in addition, they can emit microwaves that will kill you. I can only conclude their manufacturer has amazing lobbyists. Everyone who put these things on of their own free will deserves to win a Darwin Award. And apparently we solve battery tech in the next ten years because the helmet somehow runs on self-contained power.

The helmet is plugged in.

Thoraxes

Moyashimon Returns - 02

A mystery, Oikawa, and microbes who are militant as fuck.

Don't mess with them.

Also the
bathing scene and protecting the door to the bath with a metal bat was great.

3IGml.jpg
BxfdC.jpg

5A1EX.jpg
cgPhr.jpg

Sword Art Online 11

Maybe something's broken inside of me, but I actually had to pause the episode for a moment because I could not stop laughing at this and the above screen. When she wasn't sleeping though, Yui was unbelievably cute. Some seriously next level :cajun shit.

I'm divided on the romantic bits. Some of it was the best kind of cheesy, but it really irritated me how Asuna was fretting about Kirito seeing her panties and such when
they're married and have been undoubtedly fucking like rabbits.
It felt like a big step back and a missed opportunity to show how they've grown as a couple.

Something that might be easy to miss that I liked was Kirito's face throughout Asuna
owning the shit out of the soldier
. The lazy, thoughtless thing to do would be to give him a vaguely pissed/worried/constipated expression to blend in with the tone of the scene, but instead they had him grinning out of pride like "I love this woman."

It was also nice to have Asuna actually, you know, do something and not fuck up or have to be saved.
Yeah. I have been puzzled with this many times while watching anime as it happens actually pretty often. Nowadays I have just grown to accept it as one of those ''Japan'' things.

duckroll

That's not what they said in the first episode.

No, you misunderstood. They simply said that the helmet has an internal battery, just like any other portable device. It's still plugged in, since you wouldn't want to play something for hours at home without it being constantly charged. It means that if you pull the plug, the NerveGear is still running until the battery runs out. So it can't be disabled without killing the person.

I don't see how "everyone puts deadly microwave helmets on without failsafes" is particularly well thought-out.
Consumers have no idea that the helmets are of the deadly microwave variety, and even if they had emergency shutdowns then it'd probably still trigger the deadly microwaves. Maybe the failsafes aren't so failsafe and don't actually work. Maybe pulling the helmet off was supposed to be the failsafe.

I don't have the exact answers as I haven't read the novels yet, but the point is that there's nothing inherently inscrutable about the show's premise. Simple, logical assumptions can fill in most of the blanks.

Yeah. I have been puzzled with this many times while watching anime as it happens actually pretty often. Nowadays I have just grown to accept it as one of those ''Japan'' things.
Well, it's a pretty reasonable reaction most of the time. In this particular context, however, it really makes no sense to me.

duckroll

IIRC the internal battery is supposed to be designed to last an hour or something so they can be transferred to a hospital.

Ah but I have found an amazing plot hole in the first episode of the anime while investigating Branduil's claim! While the helmet is indeed plugged in, the episode opens with a rather detailed scene of Kirito turning the NerveGear on, and you can clearly see him PLUG THE ETHERNET CABLE IN. So how are they going to move them to hospitals without cutting the connection? What if the ISP suffers an outage? OMG! >_>

Jex

How would the consumer have any idea about these things?

And even though there are answers to most of your questions, they don't really matter. A show shouldn't need to address every little detail of its premise for the viewer to accept it -- especially one as simple and straightforward as SAO's.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really like how much SAO leaves unsaid. Time-skips and all.

Conversely, I think there's so many possible problems with the set up that I find it kind of outrageous that they don't even attempt to answer some of the fundamental questions about how the set up would actually work. A simple power outage or loss of internet connectivity would kill everyone, for example.

Then again, because there are so many plot holes perhaps addressing one of them without addressing the rest would be foolish. Instead you just have to accept all of them at once and move on from there. It's not like the show is bad because of plot holes, after all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For that matter, "deadly microwaves" implies a lot of power over a decent amount of time. People are familiar enough with the concept of cooking with microwaves, but your usual oven takes in the ballpark of 1000W to operate and it still takes a long time to cook a large object.

Wattage is a per time unit too. A headset battery that runs electronics for an hour doesn't make sense doing this given how big UPS batteries need to be to provide something even approaching comparable power usage with desktop computing (from wall usage being 200-300W usually).

fertygo

Ah but I have found an amazing plot hole in the first episode of the anime while investigating Branduil's claim! While the helmet is indeed plugged in, the episode opens with a rather detailed scene of Kirito turning the NerveGear on, and you can clearly see him PLUG THE ETHERNET CABLE IN. So how are they going to move them to hospitals without cutting the connection? What if the ISP suffers an outage? OMG! >_>

Maybe there's option for Wi-fi/card based connection there, would be suck if future gadget only have that limited option.

duckroll

Maybe there's option for Wi-fi/card based connection there, would be suck if future gadget only have that limited option.

There are probably multiple options, but usually when you want to switch between connections, you still have to disconnect and reconnect. Devices wouldn't be built with systems which anticipate that a disconnection would literally kill someone.

Jex

There are probably multiple options, but usually when you want to switch between connections, you still have to disconnect and reconnect. Devices wouldn't be built with systems which anticipate that a disconnection would literally kill someone.

Kirito actually died when his ethernet cord was unplugged and the whole show is just the dream he experienced before his brain is boiled.

He should really be grateful that his device has an ehternet option, Nintendo has abandoned it already.

well, I don't think you should think too much about the technical problems, even without all the questions about the internet connections or power supply, the helmet is already an unrealistic device. It's something you have to accept or not.

It's not like we complain that mecha are normally pretty ineffective combat units.

Theonik

For that matter, "deadly microwaves" implies a lot of power over a decent amount of time. People are familiar enough with the concept of cooking with microwaves, but your usual oven takes in the ballpark of 1000W to operate and it still takes a long time to cook a large object.

Wattage is a per time unit too. A headset battery that runs electronics for an hour doesn't make sense doing this given how big UPS batteries need to be to provide something even approaching comparable power usage with desktop computing (from wall usage being 200-300W usually).
Next-gen batteries

Conversely, I think there's so many possible problems with the set up that I find it kind of outrageous that they don't even attempt to answer some of the fundamental questions about how the set up would actually work. A simple power outage or loss of internet connectivity would kill everyone, for example.
But there are plenty of possible answers to most of these problems, as have been posted repeatedly throughout SAO's airing. The show doesn't need to answer questions that the viewer should be able to work out on their own.
Then again, because there are so many plot holes perhaps addressing one of them without addressing the rest would be foolish. Instead you just have to accept all of them at once and move on from there.
I don't think it's a plot hole if it's totally irrelevant to the story at hand. If making simple, reasonable assumptions isn't your cup of tea, then you can just say that Cthulhu did it. It doesn't matter.

It's not like the show is bad because of plot holes, after all.
Oh you.

Stulaw

I don't see how "everyone puts deadly microwave helmets on without failsafes" is particularly well thought-out.

That's not what they said in the first episode.
Actually, they said it's plugged in but if the power goes out it has it's own battery supply.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Next-gen batteries
So, assuming that all energy put into the deadly microwave device is without any loss and all microwaves put out go directly into evenly boiling the victim's brain without any loss or leakage, and we treat the average 1.5kg human brain as 1.5 kg of pure water...

1.5 kg * 4184 J/(kg*K) * 113 K = 709188 J

1 Watt = 1 Joule per second, so pick the speed of brain boiling you want to figure out power requirements here.

sonicmj1

So, assuming that all energy put into the deadly microwave device is without any loss and all microwaves put out go directly into evenly boiling the victim's brain without any loss or leakage, and we treat the average 1.5kg human brain as 1.5 kg of pure water...

1 Watt = 1 Joule per second, so pick the speed of brain boiling you want to figure out power requirements here.

Presumably, it would have to be fast enough to kill someone if they were just yanking the NervGear off their head.

So...

Theonik

Next-gen batteries should provide at least 1.21GW so we can work from there.
Really it is unrealistic but, I don't exactly expect SAO to be realistic. Not any less believable than the rest of the helmet business is. Besides Next-gen batteries is the answer to all questions.

Not a plot hole, this was answered in the LN .

The SOA creator gave a 2 hour window for every character for them to be moved into the appropriate facilities .. In game , everyone was like in blank room or something for 2 hours before they got back into the game normally .
Of course this thing can be done only once for each nervegear..so you can be cut from the game , but only once.

Jex

But there are plenty of possible answers to most of these problems, as have been posted repeatedly throughout SAO's airing. The show doesn't need to answer questions that the viewer should be able to work out on their own.

I don't think it's a plot hole if it's totally irrelevant to the story at hand. If making simple, reasonable assumptions isn't your cup of tea, then you can just say that Cthulhu did it. It doesn't matter.
Well actually:

The SOA creator gave a 2 hour window for every character for them to be moved into the appropriate facilities .. In game , everyone was like in blank room or something for 2 hours before they got back into the game normally .
Of course this thing can be done only once for each nervegear..so you can be cut from the game , but only once.

So I guess the author himself thought it was a big enough plot hole that it needed to be addressed, but for whatever reason the anime didn't cover it.

Well it needs to be basically instant, so 709188 watts.

duckroll

But we're talking about the anime.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In terms of battery capacity though, supplying 200W over an hour is 720000 J. The issue is trying to discharge it all in an instant.

But we're talking about the anime.

oh , so it doesn't matter then ?

The anime missed plenty of little things that add to the world and make it more coherent. Every adaptation does this to some extend.. i just wanted you to know some things that they can't show for many resons ( not enough time to adapt everything)

Ever wondered why kirito , a soloer had equipement for at least two to camp out in a dongeon during Lizbeth episode ?

No ? Well ok then . At least SAO is not the anime that skip the most content from his source material this season.

In terms of battery capacity though, supplying 200W over an hour is 720000 J. The issue is trying to discharge it all in an instant.
As far as my memory goes this issue was never adressed .all we know is that the nerv gear was made by a genius ahead of his timeand that it has a power supply and that the battery can last more than 2 hours ( most likely 3 ) before it can reach critical levels and still have enough power to do his "thing"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom