• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I feel I should respond to this.
The power is almighty.
That's weird. I would think something like that would stay in people's memories. If you may remember, it's a little bit different from the first season of Darker than Black because they changed the protagonist to:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/suou3b.jpg to:

Remember?

It's almost like one day I woke up in another world with no recollection of this. Never heard or seen this before.

Dresden

It's almost like one day I woke up in another world with no recollection of this. Never heard or seen this before.

I don't know what he's talking about, season two of DtB was manga-only.

H98Iw.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As a totally honest point, I feel that it speaks to how well the show resonates with the demographic on a whole. I'm tired of being snarky about the show, or make jabs at how I watch even if I dislike it, etc, because really, I don't. Hatewatch is bullshit. Do I think parts of the show are dumb and flawed? Sure. Are the characters unrealistic? Duh. Is the scenario somewhat implausible? Yeah totally. Is it fucking entertaining? Yup. Does the gameplay stuff tickle my gamer bone? Yes yes yes. Are the production values good? Definitely. Is the actual narrative somewhat engaging albeit predictable? I think so, yes.

Wanting to invest time and energy into poking holes into something also shows an investment and interest in it. Sometimes that does not indicate an actual interest in the subject matter, like for example the toilets in Accel World Ep1. That simply showed how bored we were on a weekend that we are somewhat invested in good consistent background art, and when something looks really off it catches our attention and outrage.

But in this case, we are really going out of the way to argue how plausible the scenario in SAO is, and what holes there are in the story and trying to patch them up or dismiss them. This kinda shows that there is something compelling about the way the narrative is approached, and that either consciously or subconsciously, we wish that it is tighter and more perfect, so we can like it even more.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

The story in SAO is pretty fucking dumb though

Series Spoiler!

*no*

Jex

It's hard to explain this without sounding... well, wrong, but .hack isn't about MMOs or video games. At least not to the same caliber SAO is. While the setting for .hack is an MMO, that's really all it is. A setting. The stories generally gravitate towards something entirely different. They don't really try to be a gamer's power fantasy or anything.

Well, that answers my question about that then. SAO is wholly and fundamentally about videogames, specifically about being an MMO. The greater the story resonates with the audiences the greater the chance is that a work will be successful, so I think the believability of the MMO setting is a crucial part of SAO's success.

Muv-Luv 12

Sheeeeeeeeeit.
Foreveralone techy begging for Yui to save him and then screaming in agony as he was eaten made me squirm so much. Call me a wuss, but that sort of stuff really, really gets to me.

Are Cryska and Inia going to try to kill them? Surely the Russians are going to get involved somehow.

Has the CG gotten better or is that just the Stockholm Syndrome talking?

duckroll

Well, that answers my question about that then. SAO is wholly and fundamentally about videogames, specifically about being an MMO. The greater the story resonates with the audiences the greater the chance is that a work will be successful, so I think the believability of the MMO setting is a crucial part of SAO's success.

So maybe we can conclude with the general assessment that SAO is extremely popular because it is:

- a relatively serious take on what it would be like to be trapped in a VRMMORPG with perm death, complete with working game mechanics and various gameplay systems explained.

- a pure fantasy setting with attractive visuals both in the environments and the character and monster designs.

- a wish fulfillment fantasy where the main character is popular, capable, and cool, while the other characters play pre-defined roles intended to boost the ego and dependability of the main character.

- A relatively entertaining popcorn action adventure narrative which generally doesn't offend, and offers solid narrative beats along the way for the lowest common denominator in terms of comfort food.

Jex

So maybe we can conclude with the general assessment that SAO is extremely popular because it is:

- a relatively serious take on what it would be like to be trapped in a VRMMORPG with perm death, complete with working game mechanics and various gameplay systems explained.

- a pure fantasy setting with attractive visuals both in the environments and the character and monster designs.

- a wish fulfillment fantasy where the main character is popular, capable, and cool, while the other characters play pre-defined roles intended to boost the ego and dependability of the main character.

- A relatively entertaining popcorn action adventure narrative which generally doesn't offend, and offers solid narrative beats along the way for the lowest common denominator in terms of comfort food.
That's pretty much my perception of the series and what makes it successful, yes. I think it's worth noting that the production values are pretty nice well as, which makes it far easier to engage in the fantasy aspect of the show.

It also has a clearly defined romance that actually progresses instead of simmering in harem hell. That has to count for something.
NFL encroaching on my animu time. Can't be helped.
How baka gaijin of you.

duckroll

I'm going to give a serious warning here. I don't really appreciate people bringing in detailed explicit spoilers for an entire series from the original material while people are discussing an anime adaptation. It is rude, pointless, and even if it is tagged someone somewhere might accidentally see it, and they might not like it.

It doesn't matter if you think it's shit, have some respect for other people if you're going to post in a thread which covers an entire spectrum of a given medium.

If someone actually wants to discuss spoilers, and it is clearly marked, I think there's some tolerance there, but if it's unsolicited I see no reason why it should be there at all. It would be no different from someone talking about how they're enjoying a new anime which is based on a manga, and then someone replies with "no actually it's shit!" and then proceeding to post a huge summary of the manga story and why it's shit. What's the point?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm going to give a serious warning here. I don't really appreciate people bringing in detailed explicit spoilers for an entire series from the original material while people are discussing an anime adaptation. It is rude, pointless, and even if it is tagged someone somewhere might accidentally see it, and they might not like it.

It doesn't matter if you think it's shit, have some respect for other people if you're going to post in a thread which covers an entire spectrum of a given medium.

If someone actually wants to discuss spoilers, and it is clearly marked, I think there's some tolerance there, but if it's unsolicited I see no reason why it should be there at all. It would be no different from someone talking about how they're enjoying a new anime which is based on a manga, and then someone replies with "no actually it's shit!" and then proceeding to post a huge summary of the manga story and why it's shit. What's the point?

But spoilers enhance enjoyment of a work - I mean look at firehawk12 and this http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

Jarmel

Banned
This is for Darkside

I'm playing Tsukihime on my Retina Macbook Pro.

xjBUJ.jpg

*shudder* I'm playing Tsukihime on my desktop and that's bad enough. I can't imagine how horrible it must look upscaled. It's astounding how much better Takeuchi has gotten. Dat giraffe moe.

Not an adaptation. A Clockwork Orange would be a better example.

You''re right, I had a brain-fart on that one. I forgot the stuff was done concurrently. My favorite example would be Blade Runner actually.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if pointing to a lone study is really a compelling argument.
I've always been of the thought that if spoilers ruin a text, that text probably isn't that great anyway.
At the very least, every single canonical work of literature would be considered "ruined" because we know that Hamlet dies, Emma gets married, and Hester goes back to live in Boston.

jman2050

I should point out that I typically seek out spoilers of works I'm interested in beforehand. Not all the time of course, but sometimes I feel like knowing the ending makes the rest easier to follow, or something like that.

duckroll

I've always been of the thought that if spoilers ruin a text, that text probably isn't that great anyway.
At the very least, every single canonical work of literature would be considered "ruined" because we know that Hamlet dies, Emma gets married, and Hester goes back to live in Boston.

Spoilers cannot ruin a text, but they can alter the perception and expectations of the reader. Spoilers are never about spoiling the actual material, since that doesn't change, but rather the experience of the person encountering the material for the first time. Stop looking at it from the perspective of ruining a work, but rather it being common human decency while interacting with other people in society.

I should point out that I typically seek out spoilers of works I'm interested in beforehand. Not all the time of course, but sometimes I feel like knowing the ending makes the rest easier to follow, or something like that.

That's fine, but that's an individual preference. It is not right or wrong. But that doesn't apply to everyone else.

Dresden

I agree, but the thing is, SAO isn't great and is typical of something that would get ruined by spoilers.

But then I've known about them for months now and I'm still talking about it, so who knows... maybe it's great or something.

jman2050

Hell, the first thing I did when SAO started airing was ask Dresden "So this and this happens I think, right?"

That's fine, but that's an individual preference. It is not right or wrong. But that doesn't apply to everyone else.

No no, you're thing about not spoiling others is totally fine, and really should go without saying. I'm just speaking of the tangent regarding if spoilers can be a good thing for the enjoyment of a story or not.

sleepykyo

Muv-Luv 12

Sheeeeeeeeeit.
Foreveralone techy begging for Yui to save him and then screaming in agony as he was eaten made me squirm so much. Call me a wuss, but that sort of stuff really, really gets to me.

Are Cryska and Inia going to try to kill them? Surely the Russians are going to get involved somehow.

Has the CG gotten better or is that just the Stockholm Syndrome talking?

I'm an episode behind, but I'll assume it is Stockholm Syndrome. Anime fans seem to be quite susceptible to it.

Articalys

I don't think this was posted so here's the Random Curiosity Fall preview.

I'm surprised by the poll on the site, the show most people are anticipating is Psycho-Pass. What do you know. I know us AnimeGAFfers sort of look forward to it, but I had no idea it was the same way "outside". Oh well...

Anyway, today was supposed to be a day reserved solely for watching anime, but it didn't turn out that way for a bunch of reasons. I ended up watching Superman: Doomsday, but now I'm pretty hyped for some new anime episodes.
Ah, thanks for posting this. As usual, I like their preview the most, if only for the detailed times chart and links to all PVs released so far.

duckroll

No no, you're thing about not spoiling others is totally fine, and really should go without saying. I'm just speaking of the tangent regarding if spoilers can be a good thing for the enjoyment of a story or not.

I think spoilers can enhance my enjoyment of certain things as well. As a disclosure, I actually spoiled myself entirely on AW and SAO. Why? Because I wanted to know what to expect from the show, and it doesn't really bother me in particular that I know the twists in advance, because I'm more interested in seeing how the anime handles the delivery of scenes.

On the other hand, I would never ever spoil myself on something where the actual premise and suspense is compelling. Say... something by Urobuchi (Madoka, Fate/Zero), or a movie by Nolan. For those sort of works, I enjoy them more simply watching and trying to figure out the mystery as it happens, and then be surprised (or vindicated) when certain twists and turns are revealed. Since that forms part of the basis of my enjoyment for those works, I would rather not be spoiled.

So yeah, it differs from work to work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Spoilers cannot ruin a text, but they can alter the perception and expectations of the reader. Spoilers are never about spoiling the actual material, since that doesn't change, but rather the experience of the person encountering the material for the first time. Stop looking at it from the perspective of ruining a work, but rather it being common human decency while interacting with other people in society.
Yeah, I understand that there are people who like to go in fresh, so I generally try to be careful myself. I find myself even censoring the screen caps I use now because of that anyway.

It just gets weird when talking about anime because most of it is based on a book or a manga or a line of toys and anime rarely strays from the source material, so there are different frames of reference for different people.

I agree, but the thing is, SAO isn't great and is typical of something that would get ruined by spoilers.

But then I've known about them for months now and I'm still talking about it, so who knows... maybe it's great or something.
In 500 years, we could be playing Karuta with lines from the SAO novels. You don't know!

cajunator

Banned
Lisbeth4lyfe.

My man.

So why isn't there an SAO thread again?

Our dear little mascot was going to create it and hes dead ;_;

As I've said above, I don't think SAO's success is down to one particular factor or another - it's a combination of factors that come together to make the whole thing work. Accel World is different for two crucial reasons:

A) The protagonist of Accel World is a big loser. Kirito is a badass. He's far, far blander and less interesting than Haru, but apparently that doesn't matter when it comes to popularity.

B) The scenario of SAO is far stronger, the characters are motivated by the most powerful of goals: their struggle to stay alive. Accel World feels quite frivolous by comparison.

Which isn't to say that I think you can just take A+B+C and = a successful anime property. Sure, that's basically what Madoka was and it worked out extremely well, but it's not an easy equation. If it was that easy to work out how to appeal to a particular demographic with a particular product than we'd all be rich.

I think a clear case of a show having A,B.,and C and still failing is Rinne on Lagrange. Cute girls, sci fi setting, mechs, nice production values, entertaining writing...it SHOULD be a success. Im actually mystified as to why it failed.

I don't know how to break this to you but:

darker_than_black_season2_ovas_dvd_bluray-600x600.jpg

I still want to buy this. Do I need to see the first season or is this standalone?

NFL encroaching on my animu time. Can't be helped.

Same here. although my team certainly isnt very entertaining at the moment.

I wish the first line of that sao post at the time hadnt been a massive spoiler :/ no ease in at all

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 12

Most intense and emotional episode yet. Legit teared up
I dont like the Japanese doll but still too close for comfort, I would not have wanted to see her die especially after her tragic past. But poor Corporal Yamamoto, surely he could have survived, they didnt need to off him like that and in the most brutal of ways, thats the only thing I dont like about the deahts in this always so gruesome and you can hear the crunching and when he was like it hurts and started screaming, almost couldnt go through the scene. :(

Why did they go through the chart of the different BETA Classes so fast and with dumb dialogue of stuff no one cares about. I would have liked it on screen more and more details, only thing I got was smaller the more intelligent? And have they ever answered where the BETA came from and what they want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom