• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna 11

Damn, that was fun.
I appreciate the dark turn, the notion we're getting the Demon King stuff after all, and I'll applaud the shit out of this if they actually killed off Yoshiharu and we're dealing with legitimate fallout. He'll turn up alive though. :(

Also why is Nene in the inner circle now? wtf

No way.
He has to come back to save Nobuna from her dark and evil self.

Otherwise, they'll have the best ending to a harem anime since School Days.

Hyouka 22 {FIN}

qrBZb.jpg
H2FWB.jpg

Damn, that was an incredibly beautiful and immensely satisfying conclusion; likely the best episode of the entire series.

The relationship between Oreki and Chitanda has developed in a very satisfying manner, becoming one of the best aspects of the show. As such,
Oreki and Chitanda's relationship took center focus throughout this episode, and it was, once again, fantastic, despite the somewhat open ending. They complement each other extremely well, due particularly to their great chemistry. Their final conversation was amazing, and a perfect sequence to close the series on. It drew on so many elements of their developed characters, particularly the contrast in stature and class between the two of them, resulting in a rather significant portion of insight into Chitanda's state of mind. That entire conversation was framed beautifully, with a strikingly colorful aesthetic that effectively highlighted the distinctly extensive change that had taken place in Oreki, and how significant his feelings had become for Chitanda. I thought his "confession" strongly mirrored the scene in the very first episode where his imagination creatively portrays an illusion in which her vines entangle him.

As utterly brilliant as the Festival arc was, I’d have say that these last few episodes have, surprisingly, been even better, as they’ve fully delved into the characters, delivering a satisfying pay-off to all the bits of small character development that filled the earlier parts of the story. The pacing of this episode was quite excellent, effortlessly balancing the complex workings of the
procession with the more isolated focus on Houtarou's thoughts and his feelings toward Chitanda.
The tone of this episode was in such distinct contrast to that in the previous one, creating a very noticeable dichotomy between the melancholy nature of the Valentine episode and the
sweetly romantic
nature of this one. As superb as they usually are, the production values were particularly incredible in the final episode, from the
dream-like procession to the final conversation beneath the sunset

As for the series as a whole, the story was exceptionally structured, deftly weaving a plethora of subtle emotions gradually into the characters and, consequentially, the story. The direction delicately handled these nuances with a mastery that’s really rather impressive. I thought the story benefited considerably by having Oreki’s perspective be the central focus, since it allowed for the most satisfyingly complete character arc, portraying how significantly his outlook evolved over the course of the show, due especially to Chitanda’s influence and inquisitive nature. I loved how the show quietly detailed Oreki’s gradual development into a character willing to do much more than is required, culminating with his participation in the
procession
, something he would never have put any actual effort into achieving earlier in the series. Since these character developments were allowed to slowly build over time, it resulted in these moments of noticeable growth to be more strongly resonating and important.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the unexpected insight into Satoshi’s flaws, and how difficult it was for him to pursue an actual relationship with Mayaka, despite how strongly he felt toward her. It seemed as though there was a bit of a
happy resolution to that somewhat troubled relationship here, since it showed them together, potentially dating, after what I now assume was a pleasant phone call at the end of the last episode

The animation was astoundingly good throughout the entire show, especially when dealing with the very particular, subtle facial expressions that often illuminated the intentions behind specific moments far better than words could ever have hoped to have likewise achieved. This was especially evident during quiet interactions between the characters, such as last episode’s bridge scene and the sunset conversation from this episode. The music often evoked a certain poetic wistfulness that accompanied many moments quite wonderfully, and the specific selection used for the last scene of this episode is easily my favorite.

The layered, multi-dimensional characters often elevated the story above the occasionally mundane mysteries. As such, the mysteries, for the most part, ranged from mediocre to outstanding, but, alas, they certainly weren't the main draw of the series for me. The best mysteries were those that dealt specifically with the main characters, since they usually allowed a heightened level of fascinating insight into their complex emotions and ideologies. The story never faltered in it’s execution, rarely failing to be interesting, hardly ever slipping into an unfortunately dull nature, save for episode six, which was the only exception. However, I can’t complain about that episode too much, considering the other twenty-one episodes, because, in those episodes, there was a distinct energy that permeated the story, even during the more subdued arcs. There was, above all, very few flaws of any particular significance within the story or characters that I could elaborate on, save for, as I’ve already mentioned, the terrible sixth episode, which is best left forgotten entirely.

All in all, Hyouka was an extremely impressive show, particularly excelling with it's terrific writing, direction, artistic composition, animation, and character development. This was, for me, the best show of the year so far, and it's final episode has only reaffirmed that belief. Really, this was KyoAni at their best.

Simply exceptional.

duckroll

It's kinda funny how out of all the regular people posting about Hyouka, firehawk is the only one who bothered to do a real write up. Everyone else seems too withdrawn by the fact that the show is actually over.

But I have to agree with him. It was a pretty amazing ending.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon!

Wow that actually sounds compelling. They should have mentioned that in this episode, it really clarifies what happened this episode at the end there.

They wouldn't mention it because no one knows about it, and because it's a huge spoiler from the very end of the VNs.

Nodame Cantabile any good? :p
It's one of the best romance anime out there, even if the final season is rushed and poorly paced.

Narag

Because it's fucking Nene man!
She was awarded to Sagara as the prettiest girl in Japan by Nobuna. That and she tends after Hanbei, so that's got to account for something.

I actually forgot about that the first part or at least thought it was a throwaway joke!

how do you even do pics of LOGH where a lot of shit is spoilery?

Tari Tari 11

Coming to the finish line strong. Loved this show. Everyone in the main cast are so... believable. It's great! Sawa is a goddess for sure!

The whole 'conflict' is getting a bit silly, but fuck it, love the show!

cajunator

Banned
how do you even do pics of LOGH where a lot of shit is spoilery?

Tari Tari 11

Coming to the finish line strong. Loved this show. Everyone in the main cast are so... believable. It's great! Sawa is a goddess for sure!

The whole 'conflict' is getting a bit silly, but fuck it, love the show!

Well yes of course.

It's kinda funny how out of all the regular people posting about Hyouka, firehawk is the only one who bothered to do a real write up. Everyone else seems too withdrawn by the fact that the show is actually over.

But I have to agree with him. It was a pretty amazing ending.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon!

Truly PoeticProse lives up to his username.

9Cono.jpg

Her crazy hairstyle was upgraded !!!
KADOKAWA days of despair - 23
As much as i enjoyed last week , i disliked the ep this week.

The vilain motivations didn't appeal to me , and the fighting was médiocre nothing worthy of note in the animation... AND i still don't understand the point of yurikano in the plot at this point ..

wonzo

Banned
Oda Nobuna 11
nobuna11.jpg

looks like guts is getting in on the genderswap revisionist history too. this development will undoubtedly be explained in the next part of the berserk manga that will never be published

I wish someone would tell the director that shaking the camera around like an idiot isn't gonna make this show any less boring as shit.

KADOKAWA days of despairs - 23
As much as i enjoyed last week , i disliked the ep this week.

The vilain motivations didn't appeal to me , and the fighting was médiocre nothing worthy of note in the animation... AND i still don't understand the point of yurikano in the plot at this point ..

Isnt she trapped in Rin-ne? I guess shes there for that?

Anyway, I wish they would adapt the manga, Yurikano, Kirius, Array, Izo, and everything is so much better than Madoka, Lan, Muginami, and the plot feels better and is more enjoyable even if it is ecchi :/

KADOKAWA days of despairs - 23
AND i still don't understand the point of yurikano in the plot at this point ..

What was the point of most of this season if they are just going to reset character development instantly and undo everything because they need a conflict to end the show with?

Mature

Oda Nobuna 11

I wish someone would tell the director that shaking the camera around like an idiot isn't gonna make this show any less boring as shit.
There was an awful lot of that in Lagrange 23. It seems like it's supposed to come off as the equivalent of a shaky cam fight in an action movie, but... You know, doesn't.

Narag

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 12

I thought they were about to kill her off. They're spending entirely too much time on the ground and out of the mecha right now too.

Sword Art Online 11

Half of this episode was zzzzz and the other half was relatively interesting.

This show will cover the whole story in this game, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't mind them in the Bourne movies? =/

Yeah, it's an effect I'm not fond of.
I like when Greengrass uses it... but I don't remember much shaky cam in Rinne 23 though?

They use it in Oda Nobuna because the show is super cheap and shaking the camera around a still image saves money. lol

hyouka finale

I was gonna rant about how awful this show was before festival arc (so it's over half bad, that's like an 8.8 on ign!), but that climatic head tilt negates everything.

hyouka is alright.

Isnt she trapped in Rin-ne? I guess shes there for that?

Anyway, I wish they would adapt the manga, Yurikano, Kirius, Array, Izo, and everything is so much better than Madoka, Lan, Muginami, and the plot feels better and is more enjoyable even if it is ecchi :/
i dunno , why show her, if she doesn't even give a hint to the characters ?
All these eps and i'm not even sure what the rinne really is ?

What was the point of most of this season if they are just going to reset character development instantly and undo everything because they need a conflict to end the show with?

It feels like that and that's a shame ..and everything ended so quickly too ( like the ships fighting in orbit )

------
Dog day's - 11
That dedicated ep to more yukki fanservice is welcome ..give me more , especially since she wants to reproduce the spell !!

A new fearsome technique for a fox god , no doubts

Narag

Gintama 26

Good but still a letdown after the godly episode 25.

Did lose it when I saw Sadaharu running the register at the end though.
:lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 22 (END):

What a beautiful end to the series. This series started out a bit slowly, but turned into one of the most wonderful crescendos I've seen in a long time. Hyouka only got better as it went on, leading into this wonderfully fitting and beautiful finale.

Oreki's development as a character has been magnificently subtle throughout. While Chitanda obviously had the most influence on him, Satoshi and Mayaka also had a huge role to play in his development. The character dynamic is played to great effect throughout the entirety of the show, but the best part is how Hyouka doesn't just tell you what characters are feeling, it really shows the viewer with little subtle cuts, creative lighting, and masterful use of color in both the characters and especially the background art. In this episode, when the sun is going down, the lighting is pink rather than the usual orange, which works with the Sakura trees prevalent in the episode's subject matter and end. to use an example.

Satoshi's relationship with Oreki is both subtlety complex and brilliantly simple. They both have respect for the other, and simultaneously envy each other to some extent (though Satoshi shows it more). They're the perfect yin/yang of hard work vs. pure talent. And now that Oreki has gotten more "energetic" in recent days, he's much better suited to helping Satoshi with his problems by being able to actually get angry and present options that show consideration for others (see last week's episode).

Opposite of Oreki we have Chitanda, who's curiosity often goes completely out of control. Oreki is the best person she could have possibly met in her life, as she's the kind of person who needs someone willing to reel her in when she goes too far. But she's also a positive influence on Oreki, who's clearly by show's end starting to come out of his shell. And on a personal level, I admit I'm a complete sucker for "classic" beauties, of which Chitanda most certainly is and is no better exemplified than this final episode.

While she's not my favorite character, I have a lot of respect for Mayaka. She's very determined, hard working, and super cute. But she also adds very little to the character interaction outside of her strong affection for Satoshi. She still adds some balance to the crew though, which is important, and her relationship with Satoshi also affects Oreki's so it's not like she's unimportant. I guess she's the most normal member of the cast, I suppose. :D

Heh, this turned into an overall show gush rather than about this specific episode. Oh well. XD I wish I could write more, but whenever I sit down to actually write it all disappears, lost with thoughts of "that's pointless to write about" and "it's already been said by ___insert__username___here__" thoughts. I guess I'm just saying that I don't feel I have the words to properly express just how magnificent Hyouka was to me, and recently it's been the only show I regularly watch, which is why I'm sad that it's ending. I would love nothing more than for Kyoto Animation to revisit Hyouka in the future.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was going to catch up on three different summer season shows today, but then I fired up One Piece and reached Enies Lobby.

Holee shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom