• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dog Days ' 11

Also learned stuff about gods, like in order to go from

tiny.jpg

to

ig7qHi2D5cMtR.gif

requires a lot of good deeds.

Exactly. The path to big boobs is a good heart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 24

Kind of a disappointing episode, to be honest. It felt really padded out and we didn't really learn anything last week's preview hadn't already told us.
A lot of it feels that way to be honest. Breaks that might make sense as manga chapters feel weird as episode breaks.

Yeah I was hurrying up finishing the post because Supper was ready.
It's all moot now though.

Hyouka 22:

The only thing he got to hold in the end was Chitanda's umbrella. Poor man.
Muahaha.

Ehh. If I had the choice of living anywhere in Japan, it'd either be Osaka for the sexy accents, takoyaki, and awesome cultural shit or bumfuck Hokkaido for the prospect of actual winters, hahah. Couldn't stand living in a perpetual tourist attraction.
I dunno man, living in Hawaii seems awesome.

The more I hear about the nervegear the more ridiculous it is that this was even allowed to exist, let alone with a complete lack of any safety features whatsoever.
Again , i can assure you that there is a perfectly valid reason for the existance of such a device ( even by today standards ).

but let's just say that the helmet was detourned from his intended purpose.
At this point , you can PM me and i'll tell you why the nervegear was allowed to exist in his current state

Exactly. The path to big boobs is a good heart.

Weird , i thought you needed lots of milk and dedication

Ehh. If I had the choice of living anywhere in Japan, it'd either be Osaka for the sexy accents, takoyaki, and awesome cultural shit or bumfuck Hokkaido for the prospect of actual winters, hahah. Couldn't stand living in a perpetual tourist attraction.

I spent a my junior year in college living in Nagoya...while being a large city it is very liveable in part because it isn't really a prime tourist destination. It still has quite a bit to see and do and is very easy to get around. Easily my favorite place I've ever lived in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You've been reading too many Harry Turtledove novels!

i c wut u did etc etc
I actually didn't mean that! lol
That was a totally unrelated observation about living in a tourist area. lol

----

Glee Tari Tari 12
26wL7l.jpg

What a great build up to the final confrontation, even though I'm annoyed that they had to rely on the
montage
yet again. There's a two cour show in here,
and you can feel them being pressed to try to get to the ending as quickly as possible.

I also like that they've basically
created a new asshole to hate now that the Veep has turned face. She really is the better Sue Sylvester - even the way her back story humanizes her is just like the Glee-arc - but without the shitty Murphyisms. :p

I'm expecting a rousing and emotional finale that ends on a :firehawk note (much like
the end of the first season of Glee... which probably could have served as a finale if they wanted it to.
), so I hope it doesn't disappoint. I can't imagine how they could fuck it up anyway.

Who knew that I'd be expecting good things from a PA Works show at this point? Or a random original anime about kids going to high school? Maybe it's because they didn't have a
TOKYO ARC
this time around. :p

Oh, and I'm sure this describes some people in AnimeGAF:
kUoual.jpg

-Minsc-

Space Bros. - 24

I suppose it did feel a bit padded. It's definitely a transition episode which hints at future tensions.

One thing I'm definitely going to knock is that lawnmower. Seriously, they don't sound like that. Even if it contained some futuristic hydrogen powered engine, they completely forgot the sound of the blades spinning.

For whom ever was wondering if they are fun to drive, they indeed are. (BTW, I'd be more concerned of wearing hearing protection than eye protection.)

GT0 2012 Live Action - Final Episode

You certainly won't see that sort of violence in an after school special over here. While aspects of the Daimon arc were altered or missing, the meat of it was still intact. It's still feels odd seeing
Kikuchi
in that position.

Now, what's this? A new GTO DVD special?

Hyouka 22 (end)

Second weakest episode for me, really felt like something from a Eru/Oreki fanfiction writer. I was hoping the ending would be stronger
Barely any Satoshi or Mayaka, Heart shaped cherry blossoms?
------------------------

Overall Hyouka was a great joyride for the 23 or so weeks it was apart of my Sundays. I think it showed how good anime based in school clubs with a touch of mystery can be and even more the cast all around were really memorable, great, and developed well. Even the weakest and most unlikeable of these characters, Chitanda Eru, I still at least was glad that it seemed that they had become somewhat different than they were at the start, like weve seen them mature through a school year. Satoshi and Houtarou were my favorite and a great duo, all of their discussion scenes in confidence etc were the best moments even if it didnt go where I wanted it, Mayaka had good cosplay skills and a decent personality so she was alright too.

Visuals including the visual genjutsus were really memorable, words scrolling by Houtarou, popping up in random places, or other effects the one Satoshi cuffed to a slab by Mayaka, Hair tangled around Houtarou, were creative and unique.

Ah I guess Id buy it once licensed, probably in my list for best of the year, Satoshi up for one of the best male characters of the year for me, and a 9 / 10 if I rated it.

cajunator

Banned

If the NY/LA people solely looked down on middle America for some of its cultural issues that'd be one thing, but more than that it just feels like uniform condescension toward anyone who doesn't live in a vast metropolis. City dwellers have a hilariously skewed idea of what the rest of the country is like--I laugh my ass off if I'm watching the national news and hear a phrase like "a tiny community of 150,000 people".

In my case a city of 122k.
miniscule.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Binbougami ga! 06

Not very impressive in any department, yet still enjoyable. The humour can definitely get grating at times, but the script manages to vary it up with some emotional moments between the comedy even if they play every cliché in the book (Chichidereko anyone?).

The Dragon Ball skits are the best part. I wonder just how much of the otaku audience today actually remembers that show fondly. It was more of a mainstream thing anyway.

Binbougami ga! 06

Not very impressive in any department, yet still enjoyable. The humour can definitely get grating at times, but the script manages to vary it up with some emotional moments between the comedy even if they play every cliché in the book (Chichidereko anyone?).

The Dragon Ball skits are the best part. I wonder just how much of the otaku audience today actually remembers that show fondly. It was more of a mainstream thing anyway.

DB Kai, dude.

Hyouka 22 (end)

Ah I guess Id buy it once licensed, probably in my list for best of the year, Satoshi up for one of the best male characters of the year for me, and a 9 / 10 if I rated it.

I wouldn't buy a show that ended like this. What a cheap let down to a show that had so many moments of brilliance. I kind of regret watching it now (as weird as that may sound).

OceanBlue

I wouldn't buy a show that ended like this. What a cheap let down to a show that had so many moments of brilliance. I kind of regret watching it now (as weird as that may sound).

Really? I thought it was a great ending, especially in the sense that it really was a resolution. What didn't you like about it?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
In my case a city of 122k.
miniscule.

As much as you describe Lafayette like a shining ray of domestic contentment amidst the American darkness I would hope that you of all people would understand the extremely skewed sense of scale that NY/LA folk often have, hahah.

My town's population: 4000-ish. My benchmark for civilization would be having a Wal-Mart in driving distance.

I wonder why the writer didnt pursue an ending arc of sorts, instead of these one event episodes. The route took reminded me of some manga that have 70% of chapters dedicated to one couple/story, and then the rest of the chapters are just random one shots, essentially these episode felt like one shots. Though really just the only thing I didnt like for it.

Oda Nobuna 11
5Yl20.jpg

I have a magic trick for you, watch as I
make a monkey disappear.
Only one little tiny funny bit at the beginning before the OP, and then after that it quickly spirals into depression and sadness, despite the fact I know how it's going to end. Looks like we'll get some pretty awesome scenes in the next episode, can't wait to see!
Rare Ieyasu sighting!
fkNHQ.jpg

What a slob, doesn't even bother getting dressed for battle.

Really? I thought it was a great ending, especially in the sense that it really was a resolution. What didn't you like about it?

The relationship elements felt like trolls. I'll relent that I respect the subtle way they handled the Satoshi and Mayaka relationship but my major reason for continuing to watch the series was to see where the Houtarou and Eru relationship would go and show’s creators were all too willing to use it as a carrot as well. Ultimately it went nowhere. Corrections, it seemed like the writers wanted to say "What did you expect silly? Their worlds are too different!" I'm disappointed with the ending because it was a none-closer or even worse, carried a message that I just flat-out am displeased with.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
SAO 11
What a morbid guy Kirito is. I actually like a change of pace like this, as much as people are complaining about how boring this episode was everything felt very smooth, natural, and enjoyable.

cajunator

Banned
As much as you describe Lafayette like a shining ray of domestic contentment amidst the American darkness I would hope that you of all people would understand the extremely skewed sense of scale that NY/LA folk often have, hahah.

My town's population: 4000-ish. My benchmark for civilization would be having a Wal-Mart in driving distance.

I could not imagine living in a town of 4000.
That would drive me fucking crazy.
What sort of food do you eat?
I have to at least have access to world cuisine or Im miserable.

Soma

Hyouka Episode 22

For a split-second I believed.

However it was a fitting end in my opinion.

They're both first years anyhow, he's got plenty of time to man-up. The change that's gone within him is definitely noticeable as seen from how promptly he agreed to assist them and especially during the procession. I can't think of a better ending for this show and more specifically Oreki, who's subtle development has been the focus of most of this show, than seeing him finally accept this change and accepting the end of his energy-saving days. With all the things that Chitanda will have to go through in the future, Oreki is damn well willing to be her rock.

I kind of want to do a better write-up of this show at some point (I'm in the middle of rewatching too) even though I'm far from the best writer on these threads.

SAO 11

What a morbid guy Kirito is. I actually like a change of pace like this, as much as people are complaining about how boring this episode was everything felt very smooth, natural, and enjoyable.

It took an episode like this to get me to believe that there is a whole lot of story left to be told in this series. Here's to hoping that they do.

OceanBlue

The relationship elements felt like trolls. I'll relent that I respect the subtle way they handled the Satoshi and Mayaka relationship but my major reason for continuing to watch the series was to see where the Houtarou and Eru relationship would go and show’s creators were all too willing to use it as a carrot as well. Ultimately it went nowhere. Corrections, it seemed like the writers wanted to say "What did you expect silly? Their worlds are too different!" I'm disappointed with the ending because it was a none-closer or even worse, carried a message that I just flat-out am displeased with.

Hmm, I guess I can see how you interpreted it that way, but it didn't feel that way at all for me.
Even if Oreki didn't explicitly say that he would follow Chitanda along, just that thought alone with the rest of this and the last episode shows the culmination of the changes he's had throughout the rest of the series. As for them taking different paths in school, that really doesn't really mean much for me. I guess I prefer a more positive interpretation of what happened this episode, especially if you think about what spring generally symbolizes in anime.

I personally am glad the ending was as low-key as it was. It really feels like an ending to a story. I'm not a big fan of the 5-minute resolutions in most anime and even in most Western work (literature, movies, etc), so this was really refreshing for me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I have access to all sorts of cuisine. McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, Domino's, gas station hot dogs. Diversity!

SAO 11

I'm with you, broseph. Aside from Yui looking hilariously derpy while sleeping and Asuna being inexplicably skittish around the man who
filled her crotch-crevasse with two years worth of glop
, I thought it was an enjoyable episode.

duckroll

Hyouka - Episode 22 (END)

Wow, what a visual masterpiece this show was. It's too bad it's over, and there probably won't be any continuation for quite a while. I ended up really enjoying it. Dat ending.
I almost believed. Lol. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 22

Holy Christ.

What an amazing end to the series. It's a natural conclusion to Oreki's growth as a character,
it teases the fuck out of the future but does it in a way that is fairly satisfying. The fact that they wrap up the series by basically using a bunch of :firehawk justifications is just perfect in terms of implying the potential of the ChitandaxOreki pairing (and the pairing of those other guys I suppose. :p) without having to actually mash them together.

That double take fake out ending was great, as was the tie in to the fucking wonderful and fabulous sakura blossom finale. (That was probably the best use of sakura trees in an anime ever!!!!)

As a character study, I think Hyouka is probably my favourite anime of the year. It doesn't try to say anything profound, but what it does say is so deep and precise that I think Oreki is my favourite character of the year. Maybe even more so than the fictional version of Louis CK on Louie this year, which is just blowing my mind that I would even think to compare an anime to quite possibly the best show on television in the last few years.

Between this show and K-On!! (and to a lesser extent, Nichijou), I'm willing to go all "duckroll" on KyoAni and believe in everything the studio produces now. In fact, Hyouka might be my favourite KyoAni show... and I can't believe that is something I would have said a few months ago.

And as a bit of a joke, probably the only disappointing thing is that
Oreki's sister doesn't make an appearance.
But you can't have everything. lol

Oh, and to have a cap for the sake of having a cap that isn't really spoilery:
DAz90l.jpg

I chuckled at this moment because Oreki gets
Irisu'ed by the old dude. It was just fun to see how far he has come as a character and that moment just added to our view of him as a new person.

One final thing - I can't believe Sundays this season. Jinrui, Hyouka, Tari Tari, and even Oda Nobuna as a #guiltypleasure. What a crazily awesome day.

Narag

Oda Nobuna 11

Damn, that was fun.
I appreciate the dark turn, the notion we're getting the Demon King stuff after all, and I'll applaud the shit out of this if they actually killed off Yoshiharu and we're dealing with legitimate fallout. He'll turn up alive though. :(

Also why is Nene in the inner circle now? wtf

My grandparents live in a town of barely over 200 people. The closest Walmart is probably close to an hours drive away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom