• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PoyoPoyo 30
fe7VR.png
This much adorableness should be illegal.

wonzo

Banned
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 12 (END):

yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

I may or may not already have.
I'd expect nothing less from the PreCure pro.

W-weird. I just watched a product review for another item from this show even though I don't know anything about Precure.
It's a sign. You know what needs to be done.

Second best. don't forget about Potato!
is this dog shaped like an actual potato?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thats difficult even considering I tried watching all the pvs but some were so awful I didnt even get through, and you know an anime is awful if you cant even make it through an 1minute30second pv.
You should do it! If I can do it, anyone can! lol

Someone has to watch the first episode of every show in the Fall. In fact, I'll be disappointed in AnimeGAF if it doesn't happen!

Smile PreCure! 31
buy yours today!
You know, I asked DJ / Martin about this in the RSG thread, since he has a daughter who loves Precure (and has been to the films twice lol) and he says that his daughter doesn't bug him about buying all the plastic shit. Maybe some kids are savvy enough not to fall for the gimmicks. lol

Jex

Humanity Has Declined End + Retrospective

A rather fascinating show, somewhat unbounded by subject matter as it flirts around with all sorts of topics with more of a focus on tone as a unifying theme. And really, what a wonderful tone it is. The show is dark without ever being vulgar, absurd at times while indulging in a very piercing and analytical humor that offers both broad and narrowly focused satire[...]

Jinrui was certainly different to every other show airing in terms of what it wasn't. It wasn't:

a) A sci-fi action show
b) A fantasy action show
c) A story about teenagers at highschool
d) An otaku pandering show about little girls
e) A romantic comedy
f) Any kind of normal comedy
g) A harem show

Which makes it different to the vast, vast majority of works being produced today, which is why I think the whole series feels so refreshing to watch. As I said after watching the first episode, I'm surprised it got made at all considering that it doesn't play to some well-known demographic.
What are you trying to imply about gender and our expectations thereof?!

Nothing. I'm just saying that a lot of the guys look pretty girly!

Jex

Accel World 16

So, uh, moé? Wait, does this mean everyone else is walking around naked? How lewd.

Also: That's a lot of mumbo jumbo for what could be summarised as shounen haato.

Yeah, but it's the videogame explanation thereof. You gotta have a lot of mechanics-talk, apparently.

Branduil

Hyouka 22 ~Fin~

iAXlDoa8nBD5E.jpg

I've said this before, but their marriage is going to be really weird.

What a great way to end one of the best shows of the past year. The mastery of visual storytelling here, both subtle and grandiose, is something a lot of other studios could learn from. It's really a vindication, not for any one person, but KyoAni as a whole, because what makes Hyouka great is not any single element, but the complementary work that combines to from the whole. Yasuhiro Takemoto did a wonderful job of guiding all these elements in service of a unified vision. Honobu Yonezawa's original writing is pretty effective in how it starts off with what seem like fairly typical stock characters, and gradually builds them up into three-dimensional personalities that we grow surprisingly attached to. Shuuhei Okude gave us some of the best art direction I've seen in years. And the backgrounds themselves were often exquisite, courtesy of some of KyoAni's own artists as well as Studio Blue and Anime Kobo Basara. Futoshi Nishiya, with his work now on this and Nichijou, has established himself as one of the top character designers in the business. And I'd be remiss not to mention Kouhei Tanaka's score, one of the best he's ever done, which adds a finishing touch of sublimity to many of the more emotional scenes.

As this was the last episode, KyoAni spared no expense to put on their best face for this finale. There was some movie-quality animation in the scenes with large groups of people all moving around. And I found the last scene to be an appropriate coda, although hopefully not the final one. Don't be fooled by the titles, because this is easily the most melancholy anime KyoAni has ever produced.

iEtQNePdUwWLn.jpg

The visual symbolism here is delightful.

And of course, more of dem backgrounds:

I fear I'm going to start suffering from withdrawal next week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jinrui was certainly different to every other show airing in terms of what it wasn't. It wasn't:

a) A sci-fi action show
b) A fantasy action show
e) A romantic comedy
g) A harem show

Which makes it different to the vast, vast majority of works being produced today, which is why I think the whole series feels so refreshing to watch. As I said after watching the first episode, I'm surprised it got made at all considering that it doesn't play to some well-known demographic.
It did have otaku pandering of a different sort though. :p
(Leaving aside the fact that it's still scifi).

Nothing. I'm just saying that a lot of the guys look pretty girly!
You mean handsome!

wonzo

Banned
You know, I asked DJ / Martin about this in the RSG thread, since he has a daughter who loves Precure (and has been to the films twice lol) and he says that his daughter doesn't bug him about buying all the plastic shit. Maybe some kids are savvy enough not to fall for the gimmicks. lol
the best kids. truly a rarity in this consumerist age

I need to watch more reviews of anime paraphernalia.
rip wallet

Potato is the dog from AIR>
space dog > key dog

But to spend a whole episode on it? It's like the worst of video game tutori--oh.
Accel World in a nutshell.

LegatoB

a) A sci-fi action show
b) A fantasy action show
e) A romantic comedy
g) A harem show

I think it also says something that the episodes built around otaku jokes are the worst of the bunch, and did so much to test the faith of its audience. If they avoid going back to that well, I'd love to watch another season of this. There's a ton of room for playing off the cast's weird personalities and the fairies' truly horrifying powers. Like a good ol' fashioned sitcom!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it also says something that the episodes built around otaku jokes are the worst of the bunch, and did so much to test the faith of its audience. If they avoid going back to that well, I'd love to watch another season of this. There's a ton of room for playing off the cast's weird personalities and the fairies' truly horrifying powers. Like a good ol' fashioned sitcom!
This season was very character-focused instead of world-focused. The thing is though, I'm not sure how interesting it would be to see the actual world that these characters inhabit.

trejo

I think one of the things I like the most about Hyouka being over is that some of you will be sad about there being no more Hyouka next week.

Does that make me a bad person?

Defuser

I would like to revise an earlier statement. Jun Fukuyama is not just ready for Chunibyo. He is SUPER ready. And so are the four female leads.

(Incidentally, this picture and the previous one are from a preview event for the show in Kyoto last night.)
What a boss, still salty manglobe didn't pick him for TWGOK. Look at dat harem.

I think one of the things I like the most about Hyouka being over is that some of you will be sad about there being no more Hyouka next week.

The sadness will soon be wash away with Chunibyo.

Branduil

You are history's greatest monster.

Forgot the most important thing, Hyouka final score:

9/10

well, I'm just happy that Hyouka is over. The show couldn't change my opinion that it was just an overdramatized show about boring/trivial everyday worries.

Pooya

Hyouka 22

omg, so gorgeous :( . I'm so depressed. I feel that this episode was made in a way, if they don't get to make another season they are satisfied with how things ended. The last scene gives an idea of what's going to happen in future. I hope they don't leave it like this but I think this can be a real end if they want to even though the story doesn't end. :\

Jarmel

Banned
Moyashimon Returns- fin
Despite the huge dip in character designs, I really enjoyed this season possibly moreso than the last. I think it had a stronger narrative driving it through the season and it feels much less disjointed. The anime also didn't just stick to the normal settings(around more of the college), which I love when shows do a change in scenery. They also did a great job tying the trip in France to the core of the show. I really do enjoy the fact that the characters are older and I wish more shows took place in a college setting.

I also love how cute the microbes are.

I look forward to another sequel in two years when people forget how bad this sold.
ibz9LTc6Up1mr1.gif

Jex

[Hyouka] - 22

Eh, I'm still convinced this material got far, far, far better treatment than it deserved. I'm sure there are plenty of other tales that would look amazing if KyoAni poured all their effort into making them spectacular.

The episode was, as expected, very good but I just don't really have time to write about it now. I really do think last weeks was better though.

Jex

This season was very character-focused instead of world-focused. The thing is though, I'm not sure how interesting it would be to see the actual world that these characters inhabit.

Well, it's mostly miles and miles of ruins without much major conflict, so I imagine it would be fairly dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom