• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I hope we get some real Psycho-Pass footage soon, because Yamamoto is really overselling it at this point. Interview after interview and it's just hyperbole after hyperbole.

"We want to make a police drama that surpasses Ghost in the Shell."

"We see this as a modern day Patlabor."

Lol. He's pushing the "this will be a modern second coming of Production IG classics" shit really hard. I guess noitaminA really needs the ratings. I've noticed a lot of mainstream media reporting on the show too, so I guess getting Motohiro involved is definitely helping with the press.

Now... if only the show will deliver. :p

/XX/

Again as always, thank you to those for reading.
Thank you! Well put thoughts, and you should do this more frequently. Still planning to do a second part?

I'm not sure I see any difference. This is a MAD. This is an AMV. So is this (a bad one, admittedly, but still). What's the difference in philosophy behind these that separates an AMV from an MAD except that MADs are Japanese in origin?
A recent kind of straight-up homage versus a new-wave of parody works based on the ideas of a club movement experimenting with comedy on exchanged recordings called MAD TAPE (MADテープ), or the later NEW MAD SERIES from the late-70s (http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~maimilk/MAD01.htm). Nevertheless, the lines between terms have blurred so much that anything goes by either name now.

I just noticed the tears in her eyes for the first time.
Man, the previous cut in which she appeared there were tears flying from her face and all that!

You mean 4.0.
You mean FINAL... because that will be the final, right?

Amazing! Don't forget to say Amemiya-ness.

Phi Brain S2 ep 24
Man I knew Freecell is fucked up with his obsession with Kaito but a mom complex via Nonaha? That's beyond fuck up. lol at Gammon staring at long hair nonoha. Poor Hoist lol

This ep had a lot of good moments
nanoha with her hair down should have been way more used .

Hoist ideals , while properly used were surprisingly "OK" , especially since he didn't take a side ...It made freecell actions even more "painfull"... i hope he will recover or maybe that will be for 3rd season ?

But yeah , freecell needs a good slapping .. Kaito reinforced his position as "cheated beyond anything" he can only lose because of the "plot" at this point .

Freecell defeat will be glorious to watch next week.

LegatoB

I hope we get some real Psycho-Pass footage soon, because Yamamoto is really overselling it at this point. Interview after interview and it's just hyperbole after hyperbole.

"We want to make a police drama that surpasses Ghost in the Shell."

"We see this as a modern day Patlabor."

Lol. He's pushing the "this will be a modern second coming of Production IG classics" shit really hard. I guess noitaminA really needs the ratings. I've noticed a lot of mainstream media reporting on the show too, so I guess getting Motohiro involved is definitely helping with the press.

The more they hype it like that, the more certain I am that this show is going to be a disaster. Especially since so much talent's working on it.

/XX/

And he is downplaying all Production I.G recent works in the process...

duckroll

And he is downplaying all Production I.G recent works in the process...

Not really. It doesn't really matter to him what Production IG has done of late. He's desperately pushing this has the biggest noitaminA project of the year, and he's using every single hook he can find. The Psycho-Pass press materials never fail to mention that Shiotani is the director of Blood-C The Last Dark which won an award at the Fantasia Film Fest, or that Urobuchi is also wrote the smash hit Madoka Magica, and so on.

This is really one of the most aggressive marketing schemes I've seen of late, where the entire project is entirely banking on the talent involved, who were brought together to create a brand new modern smash hit masterpiece, and the producer will never stop reminding you why this is going to be oh so amazing without showing a single second of footage.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see whether such success can really be engineered like this, or if it's going to fall flat on its face.

cajunator

Banned
Ryvius is a good thing.

My set arrived with disc one out of its disc holder and scratched slightly. Not enough to ruin it but as a stickler for these things I was pretty bothered by it.
Thats why I try to stick with non-scratchable blurays. I dont always have a choice though.

Not really. It doesn't really matter to him what Production IG has done of late. He's desperately pushing this has the biggest noitaminA project of the year, and he's using every single hook he can find. The Psycho-Pass press materials never fail to mention that Shiotani is the director of Blood-C The Last Dark which won an award at the Fantasia Film Fest, or that Urobuchi is also wrote the smash hit Madoka Magica, and so on.

This is really one of the most aggressive marketing schemes I've seen of late, where the entire project is entirely banking on the talent involved, who were brought together to create a brand new modern smash hit masterpiece, and the producer will never stop reminding you why this is going to be oh so amazing without showing a single second of footage.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see whether such success can really be engineered like this, or if it's going to fall flat on its face.

I am perplexed that they haven't shown actual footage yet, unless I.G. has nothing to show (which better not be the case at this point!). Speaking personally, actually seeing a substantial amount of the end product does more to get me interested than all the name dropping in the world. From the New World is a case in point. But I'm not a marketer, so what do I know...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Comparing the aesthetics of Five Star Stories to Glass Fleet makes me feel ill. I can understand not liking them, but please don't go that far! Personally I think they're outstanding considering that most of the characters actually look like human beings but each one of them is unique and memorable, even those that we only see on screen for a few moments. It's pretty great.

What? only a handful of side characters have that more realistic, human look. Sopp and the fatimas all have the ridiculous faces that plagued that era.

I don't think you can really gloss over that last line. It's the central point of difference between Sopp and Lachiess relationship and the relationships between other Fatima's and their 'masters'. The reason Sopp wanted to create a Mortar Headd that didn't require a Fatima was for that very purpose. However, the Dr. goes against tradition by giving the sister Fatima's free will, this means that Lachiess can choose to work with Sopp rather than simply being bound to him. T
his makes them teaming up at the end of the movie okay, because it's been established that she's not being forced to cooperate.
Yes, which is why I used the word mediocre, not flat out bad. :p Seriously though, you're correct about that, but it still rubs me the wrong way. I think I would have preferred a conclusion with an outcome that showed a starker difference between the fatima's role in the beginning and their role in the end. The scene where Sopp says
"I can't control this thing, you'll have to do all the work" at the end, when he uncovers the golden mech, really put a damper on it for me.

Furthermore, in that particular scene they
were being pursued by a military force. It made sense to pilot the Mortar Headd and destroy that force before they caught up to them. The movie doesn't detail what they do after that, or whether or not Lachiess continues to act as his Fatima.

I can't say that I thought Lachiess was a particularly great character but that didn't effect my enjoyment of the piece.

Considering how central Lachesis was to the plot, and how much their humanity was stressed during the film, she was far too weak of a character to reflect that.

duckroll

I am perplexed that they haven't shown actual footage yet, unless I.G. has nothing to show (which better not be the case at this point!). Speaking personally, actually seeing a substantial amount of the end product does more to get me interested than all the name dropping in the world. From the New World is a case in point. But I'm not a marketer, so what do I know...

Well, they're screening both episodes 1 and 2 in less than 11 days, so it would be really odd if they have nothing to show.

LOGH 26
Kircheis..... nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the tears won't stop :(((

At least he went down on good terms.

I was expecting 'best friend breakup' soon.

:(

Dude should have just used his james bond watch in the first place. who the fuck brings a rocket launcher to assassinate someone?

Defuser

Hoist ideals , while properly used were surprisingly "OK" , especially since he didn't take a side ...It made freecell actions even more "painfull"... i hope he will recover or maybe that will be for 3rd season ?

Has to be, he fucking snubbed hoist which will sooner or make him realized that he should be the phi brain and lead the world not freecell. Typical cliche lol

Articalys

Here's the final design on that Fate/Zero credit card:

4TPzI.png

As usual, the trio of kings get all the attention while everyone else is left out.

Articalys

As a result of basically nothing being released last week, there's not much to see on the Weekly Sales Rankings for Sept. 10-16:

Blu-ray
*1, 1,002 *8,760 Tari Tari vol.1
*2, *,574 *4,053 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.1
*3, *,409 10,481 Kuroko no Basket vol.2
*4, *,399 51,341 Nisemonogatari vol.5 Limited Edition
*5, *,359 *7,132 Mouretsu Pirates vol.7 Limited Edition
*6, *,335 *8,673 Hyouka vol.3 Limited Edition
*7, *,333 *3,275 AKB0048 vol.3
*8, *,329 28,719 Persona 4 The Animation vol.10 Limited Edition
*9, *,282 *7,826 Accel World vol.2 Limited Edition
10, *,253 10,073 Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Reprint Edition

DVD
*1, 1,012 1,159,578 My Neighbor Totoro
*2, *,658 *,*12,737 Kuroko no Basket vol.2
*3, *,567 *,*22,771 One Piece Log Collection "Franky"
*4, *,499 *,*21,404 One Piece Log Collection "Thriller Bark"
*5, *,491 *,*19,900 Summer Wars
*6, *,475 *,*57,054 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*7, *,400 *,488,661 Majo no Takkyuubin
*8, *,369 *,906,796 Gake no Ue no Ponyo
*9, *,308 2,376,541 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
10, *,291 *,**3,423 Inazuma Eleven DVD Box vol.2
11, *,282 *,*12,854 Kuroko no Basket vol.1
12, *,282 *,756,109 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa

Single CD
10, 10,049 10,049 Taketatsu Ayana "♪ no Kuni no Alice"
12, *8,529 *8,529 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Solo Series vol.6 Junpei
13, *8,027 *8,027 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Solo Series vol.7 Shun
16, *6,222 40,700 Joshiraku "Nippon Egao Hyakkei"
17, *5,971 *5,971 Kuroko no Basket Character Song Solo Series vol.8 Shinji
30, *3,245 70,660 Sword Art Online "crossing field"
35, *2,454 16,699 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Idol Song Ranmaru & Camus
36, *2,414 12,157 Eureka Seven AO "Bravblue"
39, *2,131 22,923 Kuroko no Basket Duet Series vol.2 Tetsuya & Ryota
43, *1,881 44,851 Kagero Project "Children Code"
46, *1,795 *7,595 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "Aurora"

-----------------------------------

Summer 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*8,760 *2 Tari Tari [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*4,852 *2 Oda Nobuna no Yabou [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05
*1,900 *1 Moyashimon Returns [DVD+BD]: 2012/09/05

------------------------------------

Next week, we finally get the last numbers from Spring, and move more Summer shows onto the charts:

Fate/Zero II [BD-BOX]: 2012/09/19
LUPIN the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna [DVD-BOX+BD-BOX]: 2012/09/19

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita vol. 1[DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
Yuru Yuri♪♪ vol. 1[DVD+BD]: 2012/09/19
Binbougami ga! vol. 1[DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II vol. 1[BD]: 2012/09/21
Rinne no Lagrange season 2 vol. 1[DVD+BD]: 2012/09/21

Holy squeecake jesus thats so precious.

Well, they are both computer/anime nerds. They also love gaming. We have been friends since College. We get along very well, no fighting or arguing. There is very fast internet, All the anime/manga you could ever want, and every videogame system. We all pay rent on time and nobody skips out on payments. We all have a designated parking space and park so the others arent blocked in. They stay quiet while Im asleep and I stay quiet when theyre asleep. We all take turns with housework. Its pretty much an ideal situation.
I meant more in the sense that you'd be moving out and wouldn't have as much money to spend.
Shouldn't you be watching something more current? I mean, I'm sure it will tide you over for now, but the flood of Squid Girl posts in this thread has long since subsided. Dredging this up now is just going to sink animeGAF.

What the fin?

jbug617

Banned
Just saw the new sales rankings and Kuroko no Basket is still doing good coming in #3 in Bluray and #2 and #11 in DVD. The characters duets also seem to be selling

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think I said a lot about it.

It's interesting that it uses photography as a vehicle for mono no aware, because it initially seems like a contradiction. Mono no aware is all about the inevitable transience of a moment in time, while photography purports to preserve each moment until the end of time, or at least until the photos completely decay. But the reason it works is because a photograph isn't the moment itself, only a lingering ghost
(quite literally, in this case)
. So, the awareness of that irretrievable time induced by the photograph actually heightens the mono no aware, counter-intuitively enough.

Yup, it uses nostalgia as a vehicle for mono no aware. That is the SatoJun/Yoshida genius at work!

Just saw the new rankings and Kuroko no Basket is still doing good coming in #3 in Bluray and #2 and #11 in DVD. The characters duets also seem to be selling
I suppose the fuji market keeps (fake) sports anime in business. :p

You know, there's a small part of me that wonders if there is Friday Night Lights slashfic... but given the internet, I have to imagine that it exists.

Jex

One of the most striking aspects about LOGH is that things tend to get much worse before they get any better. Yet things get worse not on a whim but on account of the choices and motivations of characters. Moreover, what goes for the individual characters also goes for the actions of political entities, e.g. the Republic and Empire. In that sense the show could be the best anime example of realpolitik in action.

Another aspect of LOGH is that it essentially embraces the notion that periods of peace and undisputed prosperity are rare and that a painful decline from grace is an inevitable part aspect of any society. This causes you to question the end games of the leaders in both the Republic and the Empire.

Qwaser of Stigmata II 7
0Sjdh.jpg

Let me guess, tit sucking? Yeah, tit sucking.
Tomo episode. I guess some perverts stole the measurements of the female students from the nurses office and it's up to Tomo and her friends to stop them, using their (NSFW) breasts.
Jita, instead of dying like they made it seem she did, is now a good guy. Probably so the animators could continue to draw more tits.
TFmjF.jpg

Super powers include shooting lasers from her nipples.

Soma

Dennou Coil Episode 01
iQVW6x7StYafG.jpg
ie27i83aSbNnj.jpg

I've been meaning to start this series for some time and I figure now that Hyouka has ended I should fill that void with something that I've seen get relatively positive feedback from. I had watched a bit of this first episode ages ago but never really took the time to give it a thorough watch before. I'm hoping I'll be able to get through this before the deluge of Fall season shows hits.

First episode was pretty good. Really interesting setting and concept. I'm not sure what it is exactly but something about the character designs are kind of putting me off but I'm sure after a few more episodes they'll grow on me. There is a certain charm to them though I'll admit. Going by first impressions, the characters themselves so far seem pretty okay though I can see at least one of them potentially grating on me as time goes by. Right off the bat I can easily notice how expressive and nicely animated this show is, as expected of something coming from Mitsuo Iso.

Definitely a solid start to what seems like a potentially great story. Looking forward to continuing this.

Jex

What? only a handful of side characters have that more realistic, human look. Sopp and the fatimas all have the ridiculous faces that plagued that era.

Well, the movie is from 1989 a.k.a the late 80's and I don't really think the character designs are particularly indicative of the era that the movie is from. The designs don't even really remind me that much of other works from that decade. As far am I am concerned, most of the characters looks fairly realistic, albeit with slightly elongated heads. The Fatimas do look odd but, to be fair, they aren't people!

Here's some crowd shots:

FSSFaces5.jpg

FSSFaces6.jpg

FSSFaces8.jpg

And individual character shots:

FSSFaces1.jpg

FSSFaces2.jpg

FSSFaces3.jpg

FSSFaces4.jpg

FSSFaces7.jpg

Jex

For once I'm going to reserve any cynicism about this kind of strategy and hope that they're as successful as they're looking to be.

jman2050

Dennou Coil Episode 01
iQVW6x7StYafG.jpg
ie27i83aSbNnj.jpg

I've been meaning to start this series for some time and I figure now that Hyouka has ended I should fill that void with something that I've seen get relatively positive feedback from. I had watched a bit of this first episode ages ago but never really took the time to give it a thorough watch before. I'm hoping I'll be able to get through this before the deluge of Fall season shows hits.

First episode was pretty good. Really interesting setting and concept. I'm not sure what it is exactly but something about the character designs are kind of putting me off but I'm sure after a few more episodes they'll grow on me. There is a certain charm to them though I'll admit. Going by first impressions, the characters themselves so far seem pretty okay though I can see at least one of them potentially grating on me as time goes by. Right off the bat I can easily notice how expressive and nicely animated this show is, as expected of something coming from Mitsuo Iso.

Definitely a solid start to what seems like a potentially great story. Looking forward to continuing this.

Criminally underwatched series.

LOGH 26

Kircheis..... nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the tears won't stop :(((

All of us who've seen it have been there.

Dennou Coil Episode 01

Yasako's sister? She's not too bad, as I recall.

Jex

Hey duckroll, or anyone whose seen Wolf Children, what do you think of Otaku USA's review? It seems to spend more time talking about Ghibli than it does the movie in question. Here's a choice extract:

Ann said:
With films like last year’s Children Who Chase Lost Voices, this spring’s Letter to Momo and now The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, it’s clear major anime studios are placing their box-office bets on properties that clearly evoke the works of Studio Ghibli. With no clear successor to Miyazaki and Takahata yet to emerge at that famed animation house, it seems their legacy will remain intact, albeit perhaps at other studios. One wonders, though, if in Hosoda’s case, the continuous Ghibli comparisons are becoming a burden, keeping him from breaking free and finding his own voice.
So I guess Hosoda doesn't have his own unique voice yet. That's tragic.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Dennou Coil Episode 01
iQVW6x7StYafG.jpg
ie27i83aSbNnj.jpg

A great series, I felt the same way you did about the character designs at first, but after a few episodes I really liked them.

Well, the movie is from 1989 a.k.a the late 80's and I don't really think the character designs are particularly indicative of the era that the movie is from. The designs don't even really remind me that much of other works from that decade. As far am I am concerned, most of the characters looks fairly realistic, albeit with slightly elongated heads. The Fatimas do look odd but, to be fair, they aren't people!

Here's some crowd shots:

I did mention how the side characters did get better faces, but even so, if that's what human faces look like to you, I'm glad I'm not living in your world.

/XX/

Precisely, I said that because those are the kind of statements that didn't give me any confidence, and I really think they've been doing a really good campaign with this new series.

Look, I can understand an editor that showcases reasons of why they did something that way or the other, new or different, compared to other works... but what about someone like him that is fast to judge in that manner projects from a collaborator studio he already has worked with before with original projects on the very same noitaminA he administers? What is he going to do if he shows the same advertising in the future for another Production I.G show and someone doubts in repetitions of such opinionated PR sentences from him? Shave his head again and promise that people should believe in his words once more?

One thing is popular or critical opinions after things have settled in, and another is leveraging the importance of something people you know of worked themselves to complete the best way they could for a program block you oversee... what were the recent projects then? Transitional? Cash-in ones? Didn't such works had the importance of a "classic" for those that were working on them? What significance had for those who poured it all on making such labor to later see they were into an 'in-between' stage, doing something without the same value in the eyes of those that trust on you? I thought works of a studio were worth of the same respect from everyone involved, and I really think that type of remarks are a little irresponsible and demerit what others have been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom