• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Looks like the official site is now up for the Date A Live anime, confirming it will air in 2013, with some key character art and the staff and cast announced:

http://date-a-live-anime.com/
KgU9G.jpg

89bty.jpg
For a refresher on what this series is about:
In the story, a boy named Sido (Shidō) Itsuka meets a spirit girl who has been rejected by a devastated world. The girl, who Sido names "Tohka," happens to have wiped out much of humanity 30 years ago, and now she is back. The only way to stop her is to date her.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I guess you could argue this, but most of their interactions are definitely more "good friends" than anything else, and the yuri elements act as more of a gimmick (and to facilitate shipping wars with an all-girl cast, although that would have happened regardless). Not saying this is a bad thing, it's certainly preferable to blatant fanservice, that's just my impression.
What's your impression on FFXIII's Vanille and Fang, my friend?
This has probably been asked several times by now, but: bigger ad campaign, or has Japan just gone lycan?
Babies are adorable. Puppies are adorable. So baby puppies: double adorable.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Probably more Hosoda than anything else.

I never really considered the fact that he might be a household name there, I guess.

Looks like the official site is now up for the Date A Live anime, with some key character art and the staff and cast announced:

I think that we can safely confirm that this is, indeed, an anime.

Stop. I don't think you guys get YuruYuri. You're not supposed to pick a waifu. You're supposed to pair them together.

Too late, I've got the hots for Tomato Hoodie now.

What's your impression on FFXIII's Vanille and Fang, my friend?

It's like shipping an overgrown mostly-naked seven-year-old with my sixty-year-old chain-smoking aunt. Pairing sux.

Thoraxes

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ - 12

untitled-1etsx8.gif

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

So much fun. I love it when shows do these kinds of episodes, and this one was hilarious. I laughed really hard when
the dwarves walked on stage as 6 of them and it didn't show Akari, and then when they were introducing them, I realized they didn't even shoe her walk on LOL
Also I will have nightmares about robots like... that thing.

Hey, uh, they were missing the preview for the next episode... WHERE IS IT?!?!

You know what, just let me know when they decide to release it. I'll be waiting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's like the most boring way to save humanity.

I guess there's higher tension for the intended audience due to living in a culture where approaching a woman is roughly equal in difficulty to stopping a cataclysmic world-ending event.

duckroll

Time Jump Girl = 260 million yen Japanese box office
Summer Warz = 1.7 billion yen Japanese box office
Woof Kids = over 4 billion yen Japanese box office and counting

Hosoda's reign in Japan is only beginning!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Please tell me that there are other characters in Phi Brain named Hearts, Solitaire, and Minesweeper. I would start watching tomorrow if there were.

OceanBlue

Looks like the official site is now up for the Date A Live anime, confirming it will air in 2013, with some key character art and the staff and cast announced:

http://date-a-live-anime.com/

For a refresher on what this series is about:

Figures that I like the most plain design (the fourth one)! She actually reminds me of Eu as far as her design goes.

The second one really tips you off about the character design being done by Tsunako.

Edit: Motonaga Keitaro has some interesting titles under his name. Shirane Hideki, not so much.

Branduil

Extrapolating based on this trend, Hosoda's next film will make over 7.5 billion yen, and the next after that over 12 million yen.

His tenth film will be 9 hours long, with tickets so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe can afford one.

duckroll

Extrapolating based on this trend, Hosoda's next film will make over 7.5 billion yen, and the next after that over 12 million yen.

So since it takes him 3 years between films, by 2018 Hosoda will have firmly replaced Hayao Miyazaki in the Japanese animation industry?!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

His tenth film will be 9 hours long, with tickets so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe can afford one.

JFvPl.gif

Narag

hzYnK.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Brothers 19
What to say about this? I feel like gushing praise for this show is redundant, and I am also sure other people have expanded on what this cartoon does well. The people behind this have to be proud of this work --it's a subject matter seldom seen in the medium and always looks at its best from every standpoint. I remember picking this up back in spring because of the rambunctious title, not once imagining I would find in it one of the most adult anime I've had the pleasure to watch. Simply superb. The way they handle tone, from the childlike wonder of alien worlds to the tension of living in a Big Brotheresque environment, could have gone awry under less skillful hands.
This sequence reminded me of Yakitate!! Japan before that show began to get away from the pseudo-educational bread stuff and got firmly entrenched in pun-land. I wanna try making udon now (or maybe I'm just hungry).

Hosoda is a fad.

cajunator

Banned

A certified classic.

Space Brothers 19

What to say about this? I feel like gushing praise for this show is redundant, and I am also sure other people have expanded on what this cartoon does well. The people behind this have to be proud of this work --it's a subject matter seldom seen in the medium and always looks at its best from every standpoint. I remember picking this up back in spring because of the rambunctious title, not once imagining I would find in it one of the most adult anime I've had the pleasure to watch. Simply superb. The way they handle tone, from the childlike wonder of alien worlds to the tension of living in a Big Brotheresque environment could have gone awry under less skillful hands.

This sequence reminded me of Yakitate!! Japan before that show began to get away from the pseudo-educational bread stuff and got firmly entrenched in pun-land. I wanna try making udon now (or maybe I'm just hungry).

Hosoda is a fad.

This is by far one of the most intelligently written and mature series I have ever come across. It is absolutely enjoyable in every way. Serika is significantly adorable.

Jarmel

Banned
However, I was thinking about movies like Inception which have scripts that are really designed to let the audience know about all the important details of how all the mechanics in the movie works. Even in cases where everything is apparently laid out clearly some people, apparently, cannot follow what's happening. Which I suppose is just inevitable.

There are few movies where I can write literal essays about the underlying rules and mechanics of the world. And I did.

The Curse of Kazuo Umezu

This is pretty much exactly what I expected. Might be a bit too low-key for the guy, but I'm basing that on Fourteen, yet I know he did have at least a few shreds of sanity at one point.

That was some Elfen Lied shit near the end there.

cajunator

Banned
Squid Girl 1-10

Squid puns.

Oh and I guess it's great so far.

That show is miraculous.
My roommate tried to watch some of it but she said it was too silly for her tastes.
She also said Omishi Magical theater Risky Safety was too cute to watch.
She also didnt like Princess tutu :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom