• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Ludicrous hype and bragging prior to showing us anything, falls flat on its face before a belated delivery of the actual goods, and then only because circumstances conspired to give it unique advantage.

Ah, so if we were to use a football analogy, it would be Liverpool FC.

Ludicrous hype and bragging prior to showing us anything, falls flat on its face before a belated delivery of the actual goods, and then only because circumstances conspired to give it unique advantage.

Basically, Psycho-Pass will have a disappointing first cour, and the second cour will be good, but only relatively because everything else airing at the time will suck.

This is a really good explanation and is probably the best way to go into Psycho-Pass expectation-wise. The huge push this is getting is probably going to set expectations almost impossibly high.

Andrew J.

Basically, Psycho-Pass will have a disappointing first cour, and the second cour will be good, but only relatively because everything else airing at the time will suck.

And then key staff members will...win an international animation award?

I dunno. Can you think of a better metaphor for the Olympic basketball games?

Has ANY anime ever adapted over 100 volumes of manga? I guess the closest we've probably gotten is with Conan which I think is up to volume 76 or so.

The difference is Conan is at the mercy of where the manga is, so it needs filler. I have no doubts that if the manga were finished when the anime began, they would have passed 100 volumes with the current episode count.

Jarmel

Banned
Well no matter how bad PP does, we atleast are getting another Egoist song out of this.

I still want a ryu OP. Nay, I need it.

Steroyd

Ah, so if we were to use a football analogy, it would be Liverpool FC.

No. The Heat are actually really good.

11b6rtz.gif

Jex

My god, first JoJo and now Psycho-Pass?! Is there anything the spectre of KoikeLupin won't dehype? :(

The lack of footage for Pscho Pass is rather troubling at this point. I would really have expected something substantial by now especially with the hype-cycle that they've been working on.

Magi is, of course, also fairly low on actual footage but I'm less concerned about that because A-1 has been doing fairly well lately.

Jo Jo's is not something I'm concerned about because I've basically decided that it probably won't bye anything particularly special based on the studio that's producing it. I'd love to be wrong, of course. At least its not CG.

The staff for the upcoming adaptation of the otome game Amnesia have been announced:

Director: Yoshimitsu Ohashi (Sacred Seven, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto)
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Lucky Star, The Idolm@ster)
Character Design: Maho Yoshikawa (Animation Director on Aquarion Evol)
Studio: Brains Base

Key visual:

Premise:

The game begins on the morning of August 1, when the protagonist wakes up and discovers she has absolutely no memories of the past. A boy appears before her, and he introduces himself as a "spirit" named Orion. The protagonist struggles to regain her memories under the guidance of Orion. She then gets a phone call, but she does not recognize the name on her mobile phone screen. She meets her apparent "boyfriend," despite not knowing his face.

The staff for the upcoming adaptation of the otome game Amnesia have been announced:

Key visual:

Premise:

Those characters look amazing (Yellow is the best one followed by Red), and from the person that brought us Sacred Seven and Aquarion Evol? I think so far this and Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love 1000% Next Stage are what Im really excited for for 2013.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Key visual:

Premise:

Heck yeah. Can't wait for this.

cajunator

Banned

Key visual:

Premise:

DEM PLAID STOCKINGS

ALso, very :DTL

BluWacky

The lack of footage for Pscho Pass is rather troubling at this point. I would really have expected something substantial by now especially with the hype-cycle that they've been working on.

This isn't the first time IG have been "late" on revealing footage. IIRC the first PV for Eden of the East with any animation was revealed on March 18th 2009, three weeks before the show aired, which is the point we're at now. I'm honestly not particularly worried - so many anime don't even get PVs.

We also have an inflated sense of hype because duckroll is interested in the show - which is fantastic as it means we get all the news and information translated (and believe me I'm excited about Psycho-Pass) but doesn't necessarily put it into context with other anime marketing campaigns.. TV Asahi's marketing campaign for From The New World has given us three PVs and an extensive series of interviews with the author, director and main staff of the show, but because much of this information remains untranslated and no-one's read the book or manga
thankfully in the case of the latter
the level of hype is much smaller, even though this has been going on consistently for seven months rather than Psycho-Pass's brief announcement in January and then nothing until a few weeks ago.

Magi is, of course, also fairly low on actual footage but I'm less concerned about that because A-1 has been doing fairly well lately.

I'm not sure what there is to be "concerned" about with Production IG. While the stories of shows like Blood-C or Guilty Crown may not be to people's tastes, it's been a very long time IMO since IG produced work of a substandard technical level. The writing staff of Psycho-Pass are completely separate from IG's other works, and the directors are of a level of interest far beyond anything A-1 can muster.

Staff looks solid...I'll keep an eye on this.

Jex

TV Asahi's marketing campaign for From The New World has given us three PVs and an extensive series of interviews with the author, director and main staff of the show, but because much of this information remains untranslated and no-one's read the book or manga
thankfully in the case of the latter
the level of hype is much smaller[...]
Speak for yourself, that's my most anticipated show of the season!

Articalys

Just noticed that on Monday, ANN posted an interview from Anime Expo with members of the Chihayafuru staff: director Morio Asaka, animation director Kunihiko Hamada, and animation producer Takuya Tsunoki. A few excerpts:
Mr. Hamada, in regards to the movement of the game, you've worked on several series that are action-heavy. What was it like trying to make a game like karuta look just as dynamic and exciting?

Hamada: There wasn't really any special process in creating the action feeling of the series. Nothing was really envisioned beyond turning karuta the game into a series. When you watch people play the game, you see these huge movements, like when players slap away the cards. That's one of the things we saw and we wanted to transfer that to the anime just the way it was.

Since the manga is still ongoing, how did you make the decisions in regards to what direction to take the series?

Asaka: Because the manga is ongoing, we wanted to respect the story, but in terms of the medium itself, what's appealing to manga readers and what's appealing to anime viewers can be different. We wanted to stick to the story, but we also wanted to try and add details or expand on things in the manga so that certain things would look better or more vibrant in an animated form in comparison to manga.

Do you already have a plan for season two?

Asaka: I don't know yet. The second series has been announced, but specific staff assignments, like who's going to be working with what and where hasn't been announced yet. We don't even know if we'll be working on the series. We hope we will.
Of course, with regards to the last question, this interview took place a couple months ago and the series has since been confirmed for January, so things are probably further along now than they were back then.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Guys, I think I need help. I can't stop thinking about my idea for a Hyouka fanfic set in prohibition-era New York.

And then, she walked in the office.

She had raven hair as straight as desert highway, and violet eyes whose gaze I could not escape. I was pulled into the abyss of her stare of never-ending curiosity, drowning in longing for her unspoken plea of help. It was clear she was a girl of rich upbringing; her dress alone would fetch more than my yearly income, and the manner with which she carried herself was the air of a woman well experienced in the way of speaking with high ranking politicians at elaborate parties that I would never belong to. In short, an angel from another world, a world I would not care to know unless it was in her embrace.

Jex

[Sword Art Online] - 10

sao10_zps65836cd9.png

I can't really be the only one who finds this extremely suspicious? Considering that everyone in this gameworld is extremely quick to attack beta players because of the advantage they had on normal players you'd think that someone would find someone who has never lost over 50% of their health suspicious. Then again, we've seen on multiple occasions that most people playing this game are fairly slow on the uptake. Regardless, anime and videogames have taught me that older men are usually final boss material.

I guess some stuff happened between Kirito and Asuna but as they're both extremely bland characters it was entirely unmemorable. Unless one of them is about to die I catch myself tuning out when they talk to each other for any extended period of time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll puts bids on just about any new TV anime out there, so if they don't license a show it's not because they don't want to.

In this case, I would almost just write the situation off as a studio/network overvaluing its property in foreign markets, but I also forgot that the NA television rights for the series are owned by Konami, which likely complicates things greatly.

Didn't you used to have a face?

On the rare occasion that I find it necessary to post something in OT I go avatarless for a little while to increase my odds of getting a response.

There's not really anything left to adapt though. In fact, it seems the manga is heading toward the anime's ending, though possibly without the
copout

Well that sucks.

Dresden

Yo damn check out that broad said Fukube Capone my brother. I stood there and was transfixed as that said broad walked by and then she turned to me and she was like hey what're you staring at and I said your eyes and she was like oh and then she turned but before doing so she did a little hop and I caught a glimpse of her ankle. Oh dear I said that can't be healthy for my low energy lifestyle and then later that night when we drove by a saloon and shot the new yorkian cowboys down with our tommy guns all i could think about were those ankles and those eyes, purple like a hooker's nail polish on a winter evening.

[Sword Art Online] - 10

Remember when you were saying stuff about DtB s2? You need to lay off the conspiracy theory sites.

Branduil

And then, she walked in the office.

She had raven hair as straight as desert highway, and violet eyes whose gaze I could not escape. I was pulled into the abyss of her stare of never-ending curiosity, drowning in longing for her unspoken plea of help. It was clear she was a girl of rich upbringing; her dress alone would fetch more than my yearly income, and the manner with which she carried herself was the air of a woman well experienced in the way of speaking with high ranking politicians at elaborate parties that I would never belong to. In short, an angel from another world, a world I would not care to know unless it was in her embrace.

Yo damn check out that broad said Fukube Capone my brother. I stood there and was transfixed as that said broad walked by and then she turned to me and she was like hey what're you staring at and I said your eyes and she was like oh and then she turned but before doing so she did a little hop and I caught a glimpse of her ankle. Oh dear I said that can't be healthy for my low energy lifestyle and then later that night when we drove by a saloon and shot the new yorkian cowboys down with our tommy guns all i could think about were those ankles and those eyes, purple like a hooker's nail polish on a winter evening.

Well I can only hire one of you, and I can't tell you who it is, but I can tell you it won't be dresden.

Jex

[Yuri Yuri] - 3

This isn't meant in a negative or disparaging way, but have I now seen most of the 'standard' jokes that this serious has to offer? I assume not, but there seems to be some degree of repetition creeping into the proceedings. Luckily the show still stands out because it has distinctly above average production values for a show of it's genre - the animation rarely looks stilted or flat and art is pleasing to the eye.

I'd also like to note that episode two featured a joke that's pretty much identical to Azumanga Daioh's joke about detaching Chiyo-Chan's fair. How many works have used that same set up, I wonder?

Nafe

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II ep 11

The battle was so good. I cant wait to get this on BD though to see it in much better quality. Otherwise Im so glad
Noriki
may actually get a fight. Tres Espana ftw.

You prefer Tres España? Not Musashi?

I wouldn't consider that one too much worth your trouble, but I'm sure you have your mind made up. lol

Yeah, it might not be that great but I still kind of want to see what it's like.

Ultimadrago said:
Really? I was like "Ouch."
Though I guess the pain was
returned as Alice finds it dead near the end of the film. Or at least I think it was that mouse...anyways.

I kind of thought "Ouch" when he was first putting in the wooden supports but she didn't react too much so it didn't have as big an impact I guess. I actually don't remember what happened to the mouse character, near the end of the film
the white rabbit was cutting the different characters Alice had met throughout the film but I don't recall the mouse there. At the court setting, some of the different creatures that were with the white rabbit at the house were present there but I don't remember the mouse there either.

Ultimadrago said:
The major element that I find truly makes Jan's Alice unique from works such as Disney's Alice and Madness Returns is the environment. It's unfamiliar, but extremely familiar. From the
ground hog socks
, dolls, walls and floors; the majority of it is largely a house. The dream element comes into play and its made into a "wonderland", but it is made of what she (most likely) knows. There aren't talking trees or giant floating clouds to jump on. It's all rather grounded (in terms of general environment) and, therefore, a more worldly take.

Disney and Madness Returns also use items from Alice's real world experience, but to a point where they're manifested into very, dare I say "irrational" creations in the big picture. I don't find anything wrong with that, but this film separates itself from those (while, of course, taking from certain events of the original) in that aspect. The house, the creatures, the very little greenery displayed comes off more akin to a dream for me than what some would commonly describe an "acid trip." There's also the consistent lack of music. I don't know about you, but I don't have a soundtrack playing in the background of my dreams either (though that would be neat depending on the song).

Yeah, I think it's nice to see different interpretations of works sometimes. That's one of the things I like about the Zelda franchise for example, where it has kind of a different art style with each successive game. I've never done any drugs before but this film does seem like it would make a good simulator haha.

Ultimadrago said:
Also, I really hate that rabbit's face, especially
while eating its stuffing
!
I wouldn't mind typing on it a bit more, but this is the anime thread and all. Apologies if this disturbed the flow of the thread.

I didn't mind it when it was
eating with the spoon early on but later when it would eat the stuffing off of it's watch, yeah, that was kind of a little creepy looking

Ultimadrago said:
But it has stop-motion animation? Eh? Eeeeh?...okay, I'll stop.

Haha, I realized later I had put "Stock motion animation" instead of "stop motion animation". I guess I still had anime on my mind after all.

You're right that many of these scenes are not subtle, but I think what many people mean by subtle is that it uses visual symbolism and the language of film to communicate ideas, rather than have them explicitly stated by the character. For instance, the bridge of no return that Jexhius pointed out.

That would make more sense yeah. I guess I focused too much on their creative visual metaphors with the way people would often highlight them. Some scenes though such as the one I mentioned in episode 18 was more along the lines of the bridge but they kind of did away with the subtly there. It really could just be what we were talking about though and they just wanted to "show off". Well, whether they were subtle or not I think the staff did a great job with the visuals in Hyouka and I am curious(haha) to see what they do next with Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!.

Actually, if a Hyouka art or designs book comes out some time in the future that's not too too expensive, I might have to look at getting one.

Horizon 24

Best show or BEST show?!
The Tenzo/Mary part was great, especially the test to pick a bride :lol, though the Excalibur bit was nice too.
The rest was all action and that was good too.
I'm not sure if I understood it right, but did the English merchant dude give Musashi
stones instead of money
?!
Oh, the closing scene was GREAT!

Unfortunately it looks like they skipped the fight with Ulquiaga, who's the big Dragon looking guy with the armor.

It kind of looks like that's what happened in regards to the spoiler, I can't remember what happened in regards to that last episode so I'll have to go back and check or maybe they'll return to that plot point next episode.

That ending was indeed awesome! I was really bummed out that Futayo hadn't really shown up these last couple episodes so when I saw her at the ending I was really happy. Then those lines just a few moments later! I actually laughed out loud and don't normally do that with many shows. Yuu Kobayashi's line delivery there was so perfect! Combined with Futayo's expression, haha.

:D
:|

Oh well, swimsuits are nice too...

I prefer swimsuits personally.

Guys, I think I need help. I can't stop thinking about my idea for a Hyouka fanfic set in prohibition-era New York.

Haha, I read this line and then looked at your avatar of Oreki...

On the rare occasion that I find it necessary to post something in OT I go avatarless for a little while to increase my odds of getting a response.

Ah, so that's why you've been doing that. I probably should have figured that out earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom