• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

[Yuri Yuri] - 3

This isn't meant in a negative or disparaging way, but have I now seen most of the 'standard' jokes that this serious has to offer?

A lot the characters do stick to a familiar formula, so you'd be right to assume that. If you enjoy the show's initial humour, then I think you'll still be entertained. They do continue to find inventive and funny ways to present what would otherwise be familiar scenarios, though.

However, if you're not really enjoying it all that much now, I don't think your opinion is ever going to be swayed to the contrary.

Jex

On the rare occasion that I find it necessary to post something in OT I go avatarless for a little while to increase my odds of getting a response.

I tend to find the kind of people who wont respond to or read to comments from someone on the basis of their avatar are not the kind of people that I enjoying engaging in discourse with over the internet.

On the rare occasion that I find it necessary to post something in OT I go avatarless for a little while to increase my odds of getting a response.
But posters without avatars are less likely to be noticed!

[Sword Art Online] - 10

I guess some stuff happened between Kirito and Asuna but as they're both extremely bland characters it was entirely unmemorable. Unless one of them is about to die I catch myself tuning out when they talk to each other for any extended period of time.
You are going to love the next episode then.

Jex

The thread seems kind of lethargic today

Well, pretty much every major series has wrapped up for this season and we've basically exhausted all the material regarding upcoming shows. This is usually the point in a thread's lifecycle where everyone talks about older shows that they're currently watching but that doesn't seem to happening particularly frequently at the moment. I guess lots of people are also going back to school or whatever at this time.

Branduil

Well, pretty much every major series has wrapped up for this season and we've basically exhausted all the material regarding upcoming shows. This is usually the point in a thread's lifecycle where everyone talks about older shows that they're currently watching but that doesn't seem to happening particularly frequently at the moment. I guess lots of people are also going back to school or whatever at this time.

We can talk about otaking's Star Wars anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Joe Molotov

[Yuri Yuri] - 3

This isn't meant in a negative or disparaging way, but have I now seen most of the 'standard' jokes that this serious has to offer? I assume not, but there seems to be some degree of repetition creeping into the proceedings. Luckily the show still stands out because it has distinctly above average production values for a show of it's genre - the animation rarely looks stilted or flat and art is pleasing to the eye.

I'd also like to note that episode two featured a joke that's pretty much identical to Azumanga Daioh's joke about detaching Chiyo-Chan's fair. How many works have used that same set up, I wonder?

I don't think you've seen the artistic stylings China-chan yet. (Unless of course you've read this thread at all, in which case you've seen them A LOT.)

Also, there's a lot more hair-based humor to come!

Branduil

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's a free country.

The woman stood next to the chair at the fore of my rotting desk, motioned to it and asked in a voice belonging to an aristocrat "May I?"

I came to two realizations at that moment. The first was that whatever it was that was troubling her, it would involve me biting off more than I can chew. A woman of her stature doesn't visit the rusting office of a no-name private eye like me for paltry problems like a missing cat or a stolen purse. Her request would be a dangerous one, and she could only trust a perfect stranger that the people who surrounded her daily wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of knowing. A scandal, blackmail, perhaps some dirty money that was in dire need of bleaching. But I would be investigating at least one powerful figure and one false move would land me a one way ticket to the barred apartment complex faster than you could say Jack Robinson.

The second realization, was that I was about to be stupid enough to hear out her request. And that despite my better judgement, was already picking out new stone-colored wallpaper for my new apartment and preparing my security deposit for the warden.

Ultimadrago

I actually don't remember what happened to the mouse character, near the end of the film
the white rabbit was cutting the different characters Alice had met throughout the film but I don't recall the mouse there. At the court setting, some of the different creatures that were with the white rabbit at the house were present there but I don't remember the mouse there either.

Jan's Alice

Oh, I didn't mean to those points. I'm referencing to when Alice
gets thrown into the closet/dungeon. After she escapes, there'a a quick shot to a mouse trap with a dead mouse. I believe it shared the same hat the rowing one did.
This could simply be a mistake on my end though; it's nothing major.

Jex

As for the Star Wars animation itself, it's a fairly impressive piece for sure and I quite enjoy his ridiculously over-stylized look. However:

a) He seems to be more concerned with having lots and lots of detailed things on screen than having good movement. We don't see much character animation it that short but it's fairly unconvincing.

b) While the piece has a number of cool shots and sequences in it as a whole it's lacks any kind of directorial cohesion or smoothness. I understand that it's a work in progress, but still I don't see anything that would suggest to me that it's going to find that cohesion any time soon. It's just a bunch of cool sequences that are kind of attached to each other.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hyouka 22 Finale

KyoAni - oh my god!

4B6zG.gif
rhMUu.gif

io1dn.gif
FD99k.gif

Too tired tired for a full write up, but that was just utterly fantastic. Amazing end to such a fine crafted show.

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms.... I want more!!!!! ;_;

Branduil

As for the Star Wars animation itself, it's a fairly impressive piece for sure and I quite enjoy his ridiculously over-stylized look. However:

a) He seems to be more concerned with having lots and lots of detailed things on screen than having good movement. We don't see much character animation it that short but it's fairly unconvincing.

b) While the piece has a number of cool shots and sequences in it as a whole it's lacks any kind of directorial cohesion or smoothness. I understand that it's a work in progress, but still I don't see anything that would suggest to me that it's going to find that cohesion any time soon. It's just a bunch of cool sequences that are kind of attached to each other.

True enough. He's just not a very good character animator, especially with his obsession with excessive shading, which is why I was pretty down on his Dr. Who work. And his direction is muddled at best. But I like this piece, because I don't think it's about either of those things; it's about showcasing his talent as a mechanical animator and a proof of concept for his rotoscoped CGI idea.

Even with the weird coloring, I'd sure rather watch this than the ugly, bland and unimaginative CGI crap in shows like Bodacious Space Pirates. Of course, it also helps when you piggyback off of the brilliant and iconic Ralph McQuarrie designs from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Nafe

I think I like them at least more than England thus far, those baseballs. Really only one person in England I like (Bacon).

I like a few of England's characters such as F. Walsingham, Walter Raleigh doesn't talk much but seems like an interesting fighter with his gravity sword and Christopher Hatton was kind of funny. Asama's "Happy Death!" towards him last episode made me laugh.
Elizabeth was pretty good in the verbal debate sections too.

But who wears a swimsuit with an apron? Together they just take away the best parts of both.

I guess I was meaning I prefer swimsuits to not wearing anything at all without an apron for both.

That makes sense. I guess with no new episodes of SOA and kayos still banned isn't helping either.

We can talk about otaking's Star Wars anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

That visual layering type thing is kind of interesting where you see the ship, then it zooms into seeing the pilot and then you see the person under the suit.

Jan's Alice

Oh, I didn't mean to those points. I'm referencing to when Alice
gets thrown into the closet/dungeon. After she escapes, there'a a quick shot to a mouse trap with a dead mouse. I believe it shared the same hat the rowing one did.
This could simply be a mistake on my end though; it's nothing major.

Ah, right, that part. I recall that now that you mention it, unfortunately I can't remember if it was the same or not but it very well could have been.

Hyouka 22 Finale

KyoAni - oh my god!

FD99k.gif

Too tired tired for a full write up, but that was just utterly fantastic. Amazing end to such a fine crafted show.

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms.... I want more!!!!! ;_;

I still have my own write up to do. Also, while I still haven't seen the film yet, does the last shot give anyone else a 5cm per second kind of vibe?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The staff for the upcoming adaptation of the otome game Amnesia have been announced:

Director: Yoshimitsu Ohashi (Sacred Seven, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto)
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Lucky Star, The Idolm@ster)
Character Design: Maho Yoshikawa (Animation Director on Aquarion Evol)
Studio: Brains Base

Key visual:

Premise:

Hype!

What are the odds that Sentai will bundle Penguindrum together next yr?

I guess that depends on how fast part two comes, though their prices for complete sets are so pricey one might as well just buy them as they release on sale prices (still waiting for the complete set for Xam'd to come down, no way its worth $89.99 from AMZN!)

survivor

Banned
The staff for the upcoming adaptation of the otome game Amnesia have been announced:

Director: Yoshimitsu Ohashi (Sacred Seven, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto)
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Lucky Star, The Idolm@ster)
Character Design: Maho Yoshikawa (Animation Director on Aquarion Evol)
Studio: Brains Base

Was looking through the staff list and wasn't that impressed but then I saw Brains Base and now I must see at least one episode. The key visual looks pretty nice.

Branduil

Does he animate at like 3 frames per second or something?

Hard to animate much faster when you have to compulsively add five layers of shading to everything.

I'd forgotten how bad the animation in that looks. Even the iffy character animation in his new Star Wars clip looks substantially better.

Branduil

The woman stood next to the chair at the fore of my rotting desk, motioned to it and asked in a voice belonging to an aristocrat "May I?"

I came to two realizations at that moment. The first was that whatever it was that was troubling her, it would involve me biting off more than I can chew. A woman of her stature doesn't visit the rusting office of a no-name private eye like me for paltry problems like a missing cat or a stolen purse. Her request would be a dangerous one, and she could only trust a perfect stranger that the people who surrounded her daily wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of knowing. A scandal, blackmail, perhaps some dirty money that was in dire need of bleaching. But I would be investigating at least one powerful figure and one false move would land me a one way ticket to the barred apartment complex faster than you could say Jack Robinson.

The second realization, was that I was about to be stupid enough to hear out her request. And that despite my better judgement, was already picking out new stone-colored wallpaper for my new apartment and preparing my security deposit for the warden.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I'm not sure if "apartment complex" was a term used back then, though.

jman2050

[Yuri Yuri] - 3

This isn't meant in a negative or disparaging way, but have I now seen most of the 'standard' jokes that this serious has to offer? I assume not, but there seems to be some degree of repetition creeping into the proceedings. Luckily the show still stands out because it has distinctly above average production values for a show of it's genre - the animation rarely looks stilted or flat and art is pleasing to the eye.

I'd also like to note that episode two featured a joke that's pretty much identical to Azumanga Daioh's joke about detaching Chiyo-Chan's fair. How many works have used that same set up, I wonder?

It's a very safe comedy. Too safe at times but it stay entertaining if you jive with the humor. Well, except Chitose. Her stupid joke gets waaaaaay too much time in season 1.

And yeah, everyone steals the Chiyo-chan joke nowadays in some fashion.

Branduil

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 11

iELIGX6jzqhem.png

Physics doesn't work like that.

Psychic Children vs. the Monstrats hype is still going strong! (even if I do kind of hate that new key visual)

This is the first time I've noticed the mole-man standing in the background.

First Jojo anime screens:

FQOu2.jpg

New poster:

Can't say it looks promising when you advertise a show with an image featuring speed lines and presumably no real animation.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ginga e Kickoff! 18

Sumptuous delicious football. Pretty tenseless but at least it seems we are gonna have some real matches soon.
Nodame dvd special, shit was funny lol.
If by funny you mean dumb.

Sadly, Nodame never quite reaches the heights of the first season ever again.
[Sword Art Online] - 10

[...]

I guess some stuff happened between Kirito and Asuna but as they're both extremely bland characters it was entirely unmemorable. Unless one of them is about to die I catch myself tuning out when they talk to each other for any extended period of time.
It's the Clark Kent/Louis Lane paradox. Their relationship becomes dull the moment they get together.

Hierarchy of gaf posters:

me

posters with tags

posters with avatars

posters with MLP avatars

animegaffers
dresden is so cool cause he goes against the machine
I hate it when people bring this up because it will never be a real thing.

and then I see the animation and I'm like good lord why isn't he working on a doujinshi instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom