• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayL4pzictu8

Old but good music video. It's not bahi tho. Boo @ looped running animations. Posted?

tumblr_masmkw9AG21qbyxr0o1_500.gif

tumblr_masmkw9AG21qbyxr0o4_500.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1-fin

I'm ashamed it's taken me so long to get around watching this. I won't comment much on the show as I want to finish the second season before really talking about it. I will say this, the first half of episode 26 is some Wire level shit. Dat crushing despair when you realize how fucked up society is.

Also the Tachikomas are my heroes.

BluWacky

Tobira wo Akete (Open the Door)

This isn't the Koji Morimoto one - this is an OVA from 1986 based on a young adult fantasy novel. I watched it because I like girl-in-a-fantasy-world shows and because it was apparently planned by Keiko Takemiya, of Terra e... and foundations-of-BL-manga fame.

The premise is that two college students and a playboy, all of whom have magic powers (telekinesis/ESP, teleportation and turning into a lion) get transported into a magical world kept under the yoke of the Western Kingdom. The female college student, Neko, is coerced into becoming the legendary Neryulla, a fearless warrior queen, and to lead a rebellion against the Western Kingdom.

There's nothing particularly interesting to note about the production values, aside from a hallucinatory sequence inside an evil forest where the scenes "drip" into each other at transitions (and it's revealed that Neko used to walk around town at night on her own when she was, like, five, so no wonder she nearly got molested...).

What's odd about it is all story based. Tonally, it's slightly disconcerting; the OVA basically opens with Neko taking a shower (nipples and all) and winking through the fourth wall at the audience. The rest of the film has no fanservice whatsoever, apart from a very oddly placed "dress up and hit each other with pillows" sequence between Neko and a warrior princess she meets along the way that makes no sense tonally with what's come before it.

The oddest tonal incongruity comes when Neko has a moment (set to a very 80s image song) of regret at the hundreds of people she's killed since coming to this fantasy land. A minute later, she's in a battle scene using a giant inflatable dinosaur to crush her enemies.

I also have major issues with the resolution of the plot.
Aside from the "big bad" having a stereotypically evil character design, therefore making his betrayal incredibly obvious, his motives are sort of understandable - bored of stagnant peace, he creates war to bring progress to the Kingdoms. The thing is... he basically wins. He's achieved his goal, after all. Neko kills him because she's pissed off that he's manipulated her - but it's all a bit too late, surely, when she's brought together a massive army of people from different nations and overthrown the Western Kingdom?

What makes it worse, though, is after running him through with a sword, she and her fellow Japanese just fuck right off back through the "door to the future" and leave the warrior princess to mop up the hundreds of dead bodies the OVA shows us over and over again.

But it's all okay, because they go for a nice seaside drive at the end.

Also, everyone in the fantasy world has weird hair colours, so the guys have pink beards. It's awesome.

i'm quite happy by this news
the main cast should be :

kaito - rook - freecell - gyamon - anna for maximum awesome

oh and nonoha too ...

There's a big difference between having computer skills and being able to hack up complex code in seconds. I don't many graduates from computer science background could do that.

All he did was to copy a set of files to is own inventory ( he made a backup of a file before deletion ) no need for mad computer skills...as he had GM access during that moment .

I'm ashamed it's taken me so long to get around watching this. I won't comment much on the show as I want to finish the second season before really talking about it. I will say this, the first half of episode 26 is some Wire level shit. Dat crushing despair when you realize how fucked up society is.

Yeah this is good stuff ..especially when you realise this might be one of the possible outcomes we're heading into .

The tachikomas are irrenplacable

There is an interview with the Sengoku Collection anime writers and director.

------------------------

Hunter x Hunter 48
tumblr_masg871Apc1r8v7y3o1_r1_500.gif

This episode was so awesome. Killua is so hilarious around Gon, and Gon's innocent curiosity is refreshing for main shonen anime characters. Auctioning has never been anymore interesting than this and Zepile's another cool addition to the cast, like megane-nee-san was (wing). Leorio still feels useless. Was confused on one thing
Why cant nen be used to actually see through the objects? Surely it enables like x-ray vision and they can see the contents of the containers? And did Gon really give away his hunter license, how can he still be a hunter?!

For some reason, I'm honestly way more interested in the whole Greed Island plot than this Phantom Troupe. It just seems way more intriguing at this point in time and like they are slowly continuing to build up so much suspense regarding what it truly is. Are we close to getting to that arc?

Hunter x Hunter 48
tumblr_masg871Apc1r8v7y3o1_r1_500.gif

This episode was so awesome. Killua is so hilarious around Gon, and Gon's innocent curiosity is refreshing for main shonen anime characters. Auctioning has never been anymore interesting than this and Zepile's another cool addition to the cast, like megane-nee-san was (wing). Leorio still feels useless. Was confused on one thing
Why cant nen be used to actually see through the objects? Surely it enables like x-ray vision and they can see the contents of the containers? And did Gon really give away his hunter license, how can he still be a hunter?!

For some reason, I'm honestly way more interested in the whole Greed Island plot than this Phantom Troupe. It just seems way more intriguing at this point in time and like they are slowly continuing to build up so much suspense regarding what it truly is. Are we close to getting to that arc?

Yes greed island is the arc after this one ..but we're nowhere near close with the york shin arc ...

As for your questions :
Nen can be used to see through objects if it's a nen skill . What everyone uses is Gyo that only allow you to see nen auras or things hidden from normal eyes with nen.. this is different from x-ray vision.

The majority of the world doesn't know about nen. It's a well kept secret and thats' why knowing at least the 4 principles the real requirement to be a "real hunter"...

For Gon he is still considered a pro hunter even without the card but will lose his status if the hunter association summons him , or investigate him and he doesn't have his hunter card. Using your card to get money for a short périod of time is tolerated.

Jex

If you enjoyed 1st Gig I imagine you will enjoy 2nd Gig even more, most people do.

/XX/

Today (September, 23) was the last day to enjoy the Proto Anime Cut itinerant exhibition at Madrid's La Casa Encendida (https://www.lacasaencendida.es/page/id-1-1143-0-102075-429598-102096-0.go). I quite like that focus on background work, showing stunning complete cels with overlays included, beautiful to see all the detail up close (Mr. Ogura work continues to impress, even more this way!).

There currently aren't more dates planned, and it is sad because after only two destinations in Europe I wanted more people to see this, and in events of larger duration... anyway, I don't know how it really compares to the real thing (quality and completeness of the edition, mainly) but at least there is a catalog/art-book of the exhibition available for purchase:

Proto Anime Cut (English and Spanish Edition): Stefan Riekeles: 9788461535576: Amazon.com: Books
http://www.amazon.com/dp/846153557X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I hope this Actar Publishers version looks as good as the German one from Kehrer Verlag:

Proto Anime Cut Archive — les jardins des pilotes
http://jardinsdespilotes.org/?p=657

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All he did was to copy a set of files to is own inventory ( he made a backup of a file before deletion ) no need for mad computer skills...as he had GM access during that moment .

He turned an AI engine into an item. That's not just copying and pasting. That's like copying a word document and upon pasting it it turns into a image file.

At the very least he'd have to make the Yui class inherit the attributes of an item which would mean he'd have to access the code and learn what the name of that given class and assign those variables. And following the logic that Yui was the name given to a emotion engine, the programmers probably called the item class something like Zimzimazima so it wouldn't be easily guessable.

Jex

[Sword Art Online] - 11

What if two boring characters spent half an episode being and then, around the midway mark, added a third boring character to their little party? It would be fairly insufferable, right? That's this episode of SAO. It's particularly painful to see what the writer thinks is 'good dialogue that will make you care about a child' when he can't even write interesting adult characters. Nothing about Yui is endearing in the slightest, she's barely a step above pissing herself a la Lucy from Elfin Lied.

This episode should be avoided by anyone but masochists, which is why we've all watched it.

He turned an AI engine into an item. That's not just copying and pasting. That's like copying a word document and upon pasting it it turns into a image file.

At the very least he'd have to make the Yui class inherit the attributes of an item which would mean he'd have to access the code and learn what the name of that given class and assign those variables. And following the logic that Yui was the name given to a emotion engine, the programmers probably called the item class something like Zimzimazima so it wouldn't be easily guessable.

i can assure you it was nothing special ..those AI are treated by the SAO game like a familliar and thus have the same properties ...The creator just disconnected her from SAO on release. From the start she as an AI was built upon certain parameters and kirito did nothing special like you're expecting ..

Yui is an evolved version of silica pet , just much more complex and kirito only copied that data into his nervegear local memory thanks to the GM powers..he didn't change, modify the game in any way.

Jex

[Sword Art Online] - 12

Folks, I can resolve all your arguments right now:

Kirito is the god damn Batman.

(This whole arc was terrible).

Jex

Screw you, I haven't watched even one minute of this show.

We, as in the people already watching SAO. If you've watched SAO past the opening couple of episodes you either liked or weren't bothered by it's problems enough to drop it.

I'm sure you, as in Regulus Tera, are probably watching far better things. I have faith in you.

Sword Art Online 1-6

Good anime, but I think its taking a bit long to really get going. They seem to have skipped a shit-ton of content jumping dozens of floors at a time between episodes without any information of what actually occurred. The current side stories don't really seem to be going anywhere either and I don't understand why they wanted to show them instead of the users progressing across the floors. However, the inner-area murder mystery was well written and cool so I guess that is a plus.

I'd give it an 7-8 and Silica > Asuna.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i can assure you it was nothing special ..those AI are treated by the SAO like a familliar and thus have the same properties ...The creator just disconnected her from SAO on release. From the start she as an AI was built upon certain parameters and kirito did nothing special like you're expecting ..

Yui is an evolved version of silica pet , just much more complex and kirito only copied that data into his nervegear local memory thanks to the GM powers..he didn't change, modify the game in any way.

He would have at least changed her appearance variables to the 3D crystal model, add the blue crystal texture file and say it is a wearable item rather than a walking one. If you're saying he just copied and pasted then he should have gotten a duplicate. And by release do you mean erased? So Kirito just went edit undo? Either way he should have gotten a Yui clone if he did no code modifications.

I'm judging this by what I saw, not how it may or may not be explained in the book.

I saw wizardry on a keyboard and a crystal pop out of who knows where.

And I still think he should have re-enabled the logout button while he was at it.

Articalys

Saimoe Round 2 - Groups C & D, Day 1 Results

C1
1st 257 Cthugha @ Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
2nd 255 Shizuno Takakamo @ Saki
3rd 94 Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen @ Strike Witches

D1
1st 288 Chihaya Kisaragi @ The Idolmaster
2nd 201 Hajime Kunihiro @ Saki
3rd 113 Houki Shinonono @ Infinite Stratos

OH GLORIOUS DAY

------------------------------------------------------

Today's match preview:

- Maon vs. Kanon vs. Hisa

- Hinata vs. Sana vs. Kurisu

Let's hope Asami Imai can make it 2 for 2.

Nafe

To this day I will never know what she was trying to accomplish by reaching toward that ledge foot first.

One of the great mysteries of Sailor Moon.

You know the forehead marks depicted in the manga and anime? In this show it's replaced with jewelry.

Ah, okay. Hmm, if that's been shown or mentioned in the show up to the point that I'm currently at, then I've certainly forgotten about it somehow.

Neither, really. She's just different. For one, she grows out of being a crybaby really quickly and she's never dumb. In fact, in one scene she actually makes "tsuki ni kawatte oshioki yo" pretty badass.

Haha, I think I remember reading that when you told someone else that before. I've only read about the first chapter or so of the manga a little while ago. I've really only followed the anime and some of the music before. It wasn't until recently that I started finally looking at the other parts of the franchise, such as the live action show for example. I really should get looking to try and read the manga.

He would have at least changed her appearance variables to the 3D crystal model, add the blue crystal texture file and say it is a wearable item rather than a walking one. If you're saying he just copied and pasted then he should have gotten a duplicate. And by release do you mean erased? So Kirito just went edit undo? Either way he should have gotten a Yui clone if he did no code modifications.

I'm judging this by what I saw, not how it may or may not be explained in the book.

I saw wizardry on a keyboard and a crystal pop out of who knows where.

And I still think he should have re-enabled the logout button while he was at it.

By release i mean "on release date".

Her appearance is dictated by the game .. Same program in a different game = different appearance , different habilities and no Gm powers. ( for example )
And he did get a duplicate of Yui memory , nothing else ..
The processes within the servers were being terminated and kirito profited to quickly copy the data before he got kicked out of a space he isn't supposed to access.

As for the question why can't they restore yui ? she is a being in the game but can't run because her processes are disabled.

"wizardy on a keyboard" is used everywhere. the anime studio adapted this scene like they could .. i'm just explaining what he really did ..because some people misinterpret.

Now saying "why didn't he put the logout button back ?" make little sense as he was kicked out of the console while using it. and that's certainly not something yui admin rights was capable of in the first place.

But you sure can understand what he mean.

The anime make it as two-parter afterall.
This is the episode aside from ep 9 where they followed as much as they could the LNs ...
Lizbeth SHOULD have got a two episode set too ...because they just skipped a bunch of things

cajunator

Banned
By release i mean "on release date".

Her appearance is dictated by the game .. Same program in a different game = different appearance , different habilities and no Gm powers. ( for example )
And he did get a duplicate of Yui memory , nothing else ..
The processes within the servers were being terminated and kirito profited to quickly copy the data before he got kicked out of a space he isn't supposed to access.

As for the question why can't they restore yui ? she is a being in the game but can't run because her processes are disabled.

"wizardy on a keyboard" is used everywhere. the anime studio adapted this scene like they could .. i'm just explaining what he really did ..because some people misinterpret.

Now saying "why didn't he put the logout button back ?" make little sense as he was kicked out of the console while using it. and that's certainly not something yui admin rights was capable of in the first place.

This is the episode aside from ep 9 where they followed as much as they could the LNs ...
Lizbeth SHOULD have got a two episode set too ...because they just skipped a bunch of things

Lizbeth should be featured a whole lot more :(

Necrovex

We, as in the people already watching SAO. If you've watched SAO past the opening couple of episodes you either liked or weren't bothered by it's problems enough to drop it.

I'm sure you, as in Regulus Tera, are probably watching far better things. I have faith in you.

The summer drought got to us, and now we are in a form of stockholm syndrome regarding Sword Art Online.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The summer drought got to us, and now we are in a form of stockholm syndrome regarding Sword Art Online.

One of the benefits of being perpetually behind on my anime is that I never get to the stuff at the very bottom of my seasonal backlog. Saves me from myself, especially where SAO is concerned.

/XX/

Is this image new? Package shot of the Tokyo Godfathers upcoming edition on Blu-ray (out on November, 21):

Amazon.com: 東京ゴッドファーザーズ [Blu-ray]: 今 敏, 江守徹, 梅垣義明, 岡本綾: DVD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009AOX8JC/

Jex

Is this new? Package shot of the Tokyo Godfathers upcoming edition on Blu-ray, (out on November, 21):

Amazon.com: 東京ゴッドファーザーズ [Blu-ray]: 今 敏, 江守徹, 梅垣義明, 岡本綾: DVD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009AOX8JC/

I haven't heard wind of it. Exciting!

It will never come out in the UK considering the DVD sold like 600 copies and a minimum print run for BD is 3,000 units.

Kuroko no Basketball 23

I enjoyed this episode. I really liked the whole shift in power in the game between the two teams, the random commentary and bickering that happens which makes the whole episode pretty enjoyable. Much better than having something completely one-sided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom