• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 23
folktales23.jpg
folktales23a.jpg
folktales23b.jpg

Once upon a time, an unusually gaseous woman would spirit bomb old arrogant men with her ssj farts, a teapot lid made the ultimate armour against bullets and a salesman learned the harsh realities of the importance of words and to always discourage filthy baka-gaijin from buying his goods.

... and they all lived happily ever after in destitution desu~!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sword Art Online 9

Wow, SAO, you had me scared there for a second. I thought for sure this episode was going to be non-stop action from the start, and then right after the OP we're back to kitchen stuff? Come on.

Fortunately, they went back to it and it was delicious. Klein bromance, Asuna
being honest with herself,
beater badassness and sweet sakuga. I couldn't ask for more.

Accel World 21

Meanwhile... Eh. I still haven't really gotten over the fact that the last Accel World that we ever get to see animated may be this one.
I was so looking forward to faction wars or whatever.

Oh, well. I'm a bit annoyed that they started bringing up the "fears" that originated the avatars again because they're basically nonsense excuses for any kind of limitations or superpowers they want to give the characters. I mean: Haruyuki flies because *metaphors*, while Taku pokes because he was poked? Cheap.

Leopard Maido-chan is kewl, though, and it doesn't seem like she'll fall for Haruyuki anytime soon.

My copy of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei came in today, along with some other items to satisfy that 25th Anniversary coupon. I enjoy getting my RightStuf orders in just 2-3 days with free economy shipping. Living less than 100 miles from TRSI helps get me my anime fix faster.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Folktales from Japan 23
Once upon a time, an unusually gaseous woman would spirit bomb old arrogant men with her ssj farts, a teapot lid made the ultimate armour against bullets and a salesman learned the harsh realities of the importance of words and to always discourage filthy baka-gaijin from buying his goods.

... and they all lived happily ever after in destitution desu~!
Is that a rifle?

Is that the story of The Last Samurai?!

cajunator

Banned
My copy of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei came in today, along with some other items to satisfy that 25th Anniversary coupon. I enjoy getting my RightStuf orders in just 2-3 days with free economy shipping. Living less than 100 miles from TRSI helps get me my anime fix faster.

Lucky :(

But you scored two of my favorite series. Enjoy!

Dresden

You're trolling me then ..
i understand , continue by yourself
Kawahara might go on about how accomplished she is, but we see none of that in the actual show. Just like every other female character in it, I suppose. Not like they're ever good for anything other than being rescued or wooed.

Accel World 21

Meanwhile... Eh. I still haven't really gotten over the fact that the last Accel World that we ever get to see animated may be this one.
I was so looking forward to faction wars or whatever.

S2? I think it's likely to happen. It's done decently sales-wise and the demand certainly seem to be there, albeit not at the same level that SAO is at.

Kinda looking forward to watching it in hopes that loli-assisted missile spam is back, but I have a feeling I'll just get more of this.

i12u74LXfEydC.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Obvious SAO series Spoilers, but spoilered just in case

Of course Kirito beats the game and comes out. They keep the name as Sword Art Online even when Kirito starts playing other MMO's. He plays another fantasy type MMO called ALfheim Online, but this time all of the player characters are variations of Fae creatures. ALfheim Online also has magic and promotes PKing. He also plays another MMO called Gun Gale Online, An American made MMO set in a Post Apocalyptic setting in a Spaceship (lol wut?) with a focus on guns (of course).

Here's Kirito in ALfheim Online

and he comes back to it later looking like this

and here he is in Gun Gale lol
http://i.imgur.com/9uwvP.png

Lucky :(

But you scored two of my favorite series. Enjoy!

The one minor downside to this is paying for sales tax. I could easily purchase the same titles at Amazon for a few dollars less, but I have come to prefer TRSI due to the quick shipping times even if I have to pay a bit more to get that free shipping.

I hope to start Kino tomorrow and finish early next week and then finish up with Haibane Renmei later in the week. After that is the long wait for the Lain BDs to ship in November.

cajunator

Banned
The one minor downside to this is paying for sales tax. I could easily purchase the same titles at Amazon for a few dollars less, but I have come to prefer TRSI due to the quick shipping times even if I have to pay a bit more to get that free shipping.

I hope to start Kino tomorrow and finish early next week and then finish up with Haibane Renmei later in the week. After that is the long wait for the Lain BDs to ship in November.

Is this the first time you are watching these?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
S2? I think it's likely to happen. It's done decently sales-wise and the demand certainly seem to be there, albeit not at the same level that SAO is at.

Hopefully that's the case.

Kinda looking forward to watching it in hopes that loli-assisted missile spam is back, but I have a feeling I'll just get more of this.

i12u74LXfEydC.gif

These scenes are so forced and out of character for him. And it's only with Niko. He's a total lolicon.

Necrovex

Kuroko's Basketball 1

e54d1c9d4cf01ec7d74625fb71d099bb1-e1334183260103.jpg

I always had a special place for sport animes. When I was in high school, I simply adored Eyeshield 21. After much debate, I decided to give KB a try.

I'm surprised the main lead isn't the shining star (no pun intended). I wonder if the series will expand on him more than simply being a shadow. I certainly hope so. And then we have the other main lead, red hair dude, I cannot recall his name atm. Brute strength and talent are the names of the game for him.

Talking about talent, I noticed a major theme will be effort vs. talent. The ending of this episode said it best, Kuroko will be the shadow to red-hair dude's light; the yin to his yang.

With all that said, I'll make an effort to continue watching this show. With a 17-credit schedule for school, learning Japanese, and having other leadership obligations, it might be a tad too burdensome to squeeze this show in, especially when the fall season arrives.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://i.minus.com/i12u74LXfEydC.gif
Does he want her to step on him or something? lol

---

Oh yeah, RurouniZel, since you have K-On!! Part 2, do you know how they handled all the "English" parts of the show in the dub? Do they just say the "English" as part of their English speech? lol

Sword Art Online 9

Dat boss fight:
ibjlnI0Dpuw7Yn.gif

Everything else:
I saw the no-teleport trap coming last episode, but I expected it to force Kirito and Asuna to face the boss alone when they first went to check it out. They shattered the tension that they built up last episode, shoehorned in all of that horribad army crap, then fucking sidelined Asuna AGAIN like all that relationship building never even happened. Then she spends the rest of the episode fucking weeping, right up until Kirito has to defend her fucking honor agaRBSRTGSGSGSGF THIS FUCKING SHOW

I want to love you SAO. I really, really do. Why do you have to fucking do this to me?

If it wasn't for Klein being awesome as hell, I probably would have started hurting myself.

Kuroko's Basketball 1

I always had a special place for sport animes. When I was in high school, I simply adored Eyeshield 21. After much debate, I decided to give KB a try.

I'm surprised the main lead isn't the shining star (no pun intended). I wonder if the series will expand on him more than simply being a shadow. I certainly hope so. And then we have the other main lead, red hair dude, I cannot recall his name atm. Brute strength and talent are the names of the game for him.

Talking about talent, I noticed a major theme will be effort vs. talent. The ending of this episode said it best, Kuroko will be the shadow to red-hair dude's light; the yin to his yang.

With all that said, I'll make an effort to continue watching this show. With a 17-credit schedule for school, learning Japanese, and having other leadership obligations, it might be a tad too burdensome to squeeze this show in, especially when the fall season arrives.

Ah Kagami = red, always on top.

Since theres just three episodes left, might as well just shelve it and get back to it when your schedule lightens possible. or save it for next season or what not since theres no other non soccer sports anime. Its really awesome sports anime with a pretty likeable cast of the main protagonist team and others of the Generation of Miracles and their schools, and lots of development.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oh yeah, RurouniZel, since you have K-On!! Part 2, do you know how they handled all the "English" parts of the show in the dub? Do they just say the "English" as part of their English speech? lol

Yep. They refer to no longer speaking in Japanese ("No Nihongo!") and speaking in "English", despite speaking in English. XD Also, the dub uses honorifics. XD

i12u74LXfEydC.gif
Niko being moe: check.
Cartman being moe: check.
Cartman being unabashedly creepy as fuck: check.
Kuroyukihime being MIA: check.

I don't know what you're talking about. That's Accel World at its best.

Narag

Kara no Kyoukai 3

Certainly the best of the three I've seen so far, it was great to watch the characters introduced in the first movie actually work together as a coherent whole working to solve their case rather than being down a man as they were in the first movie. Chronologically, it comes after the second movie but before the first and we learn how
Shiki lost her arm
and hints are dropped that Shiki isn't quite the same as she was in the second film.

In fact, Shiki doesn't seem quite as dour as I remember her in the first nor as distant as the second. I'd like to say she was humanized in this but that's not entirely accurate as it came across far more predatory, relishing in the thrill of the hunt.
The antagonist not fully appreciating the gravity of murder seemed to feed this as well.

The straightforward story was probably the greatest strength of the film. It's a detective story but with the elements that make KnK what it is applied over the top which just so happens to mesh well. I was left wondering why Shiki found the antagonist so easily as I assumed she'd have to do some leg work too but I guess this is me not taking her at her word when she effectively said she could smell her own.

I'm also not really a fan of the achronological approach of the films so far so it was nice to hit something a little more simplistic albeit well executed. I can see why this is generally well received by those that have watched the movies and find myself more curious as to what the fifth will bring.

I2X9dl.png

The claymation theater behavior guides are neat albeit unrelated to the movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. They refer to no longer speaking in Japanese ("No Nihongo!") and speaking in "English", despite speaking in English. XD Also, the dub uses honorifics. XD

So wait... in that episode where Mugi says: "Just a moment please!" what does she say in English?

Or that whole conversation in episode 27 about how you pronounce water or "Where is delicious cake shop?" lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So wait... in that episode where Mugi says: "Just a moment please!" what does she say in English?

Or that whole conversation in episode 27 about how you pronounce water or "Where is delicious cake shop?" lol

Episode 14
"Stand right there and don't move a muscle!"

"Wouldn't dream of it!"

Episode 27 just sounds like she's saying it really weirdly. Honestly I couldn't make it out.

Instro

SAO 9

Dat
dual wielding
. That was a pretty fun episode with the boss fight and all, how exciting.

Goodbye Lisbeth fans.

SAO9

So with kirito's
new skill, is it just dual wield? Seems like he got some kind of beserk ability to.

a lot of off frames this eps.

And wtf is with some of these players? This commander guy doesn't look like your mmo player. Fuck he doesn't even look japanese.

SAO9

So with kirito's
new skill, is it just dual wield? Seems like he got some kind of beserk ability to.

And wtf is with some of these players? This commander guy doesn't look like your mmo player. Fuck he doesn't even look japanese.
My understanding is that
he got the dual wield skill awhile ago, and by training it he unlocked some crazy super-combo ability.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Episode 14
"Stand right there and don't move a muscle!"

"Wouldn't dream of it!"

Episode 27 just sounds like she's saying it really weirdly. Honestly I couldn't make it out.

Dubs, killing comedy one forced localization at a time. :p

But I suppose there's no easy solution to that. If they do dub the movie though, how the hell are they going to handle the language barrier scenes? lol

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 22

By the time the real effects of HGH were fully known to medical science, it was far too late for Sylvester Stallone. The two week wait for this episode was almost unbearable but it was worth it in the end.
I'm glad that Serika, Nitta and Nanba all ended up passing. It's a shame about Furuya and Fukuda but I'm sure we'll get to see more of them later on. I wonder how Kenji's gonna take the news.

spacebros22a.jpg

That sounds like what happened to Tom Cruise in that movie!
sounds like the greatest movie ever made

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 22
By the time the real effects of HGH were fully known to medical science, it was far too late for Sylvester Stallone. The two week wait for this episode was almost unbearable but it was worth it in the end.
I'm glad that Serika, Nitta and Nanba all ended up passing. It's a shame about Furuya and Fukuda but I'm sure we'll get to see more of them later on. I wonder how Kenji's gonna take the news.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/spacebros22a.jpg

sounds like the greatest movie ever made

Not sure how I feel about Space Bros...

And it IS the greatest movie ever made!

R_thanatos, Dresden, someone...please tell me Asuna stops being fucking useless Gary Stu wankbait at some point. Please.
Syntax error
Well she was supposed to have a larger part in this week's fight. Looks like the anime is cutting her down even more.
True, but it's normal they focused on kirito more has he should trully he the star at this point .asuna will get more screen time anyway ..
SAO9

So with kirito's

It's a unique skill. He is alone with it. You have plenty of combo with it and since kirito mastered this skill in secret , he used the best sword skill he got ( the one you saw ).. He can also freely use this without activating a sword skill and still deal a lot of damage..
That's why the sword durability was essential during liz episode.. he does parry blows with his swords when most players without a shield would dodge since you'd take a lot of damage. ( you do take damage even you parry such blows )

It's a deadly skill . he wasn't berserk, this was a very long master quality sword combo.
Dual blade is awarded by the system to the player with the fastest reaction time. As such kirito can destroy almost everything since by itself he can react faster that ... well many things

The army is full of morons..and that commander was one. Forget about him there is much better from the army to look forward to.

Ah Kagami = red, always on top.

Since theres just three episodes left, might as well just shelve it and get back to it when your schedule lightens possible. or save it for next season or what not since theres no other non soccer sports anime. Its really awesome sports anime with a pretty likeable cast of the main protagonist team and others of the Generation of Miracles and their schools, and lots of development.

Heh, heh.

I do agree with DTL. The anime is pretty fun, very nice comedy and nice action. One game does drag on a little too long for my liking but otherwise it keeps a good pace throughout the entire show so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom