• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel like the show is so incredibly predictable. It does everything you would expect it to when you expect it. That said, its still fun, but I guess I have just seen so many haremshits that it feels run of the mill.

Oh it most certainly is run-of-the-mill harem show, almost to a fault. But I think it's cute enough to keep watching.

It's a unique skill. He is alone with it. You have plenty of combo with it and since kirito mastered this skill in secret , he used the best sword skill he got ( the one you saw ).. He can also freely use this without activating a sword skill and still deal a lot of damage..
That's why the sword durability was essential during liz episode.. he does parry blows with his swords when most players without a shield would dodge since you'd take a lot of damage. ( you do take damage even you parry such blows )
This is one of the things that I really like about SAO. Even if
dual wielding
isn't that exciting on its own, they still had been laying the foundation for this "reveal" across several episodes in a way that blends in with the regular progression of the narrative.

wonzo

Banned
HxH 2011 45
hxhr45.jpg

moe~

Narag

Crying Freeman 1

i98rsD0oNDsv1.gif

That's just the supporting cast. There's also other stuff with the main character curing his virginity, playing with knives, and learning ancient Chinese tradition that's not nearly as interesting.

Jex

Wolf Children (Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki)

Hosoda hasn't directed a lot of movies, but he has directed very different types of movies so far. I feel that this is his most honest and open one so far. It is also his most mature work as a filmmaker and a very interesting take on the material he has decided to tackle[...]

How Hosoda approaches this material in an extremely direct way. When compared to some of his previous films like his One Piece movie and Tokikake, the most obvious difference here is that he has chosen to completely do away with the heavy handed use of visual metaphors and complex imagery. In doing so, it lacks of the darker and somber touch of those movies, but in exchange he has achieved his highest level of naturalism yet[...]

I'll conclude by saying that if Hosoda's One Piece movie was a sign of an angry younger man trying desperately to have his talent noticed (and that is far from a bad thing), then this movie is a milestone showing the world that he has matured into a bold filmmaker who is now able to also tell a simple and direct story, without applying overly artistic film language, and yet lose none of the beauty and elegance of a great movie.
Thanks for the write up. It sounds like the movie is exactly what I hoped it would be, a much more restrained and tightly focused piece than the sprawling adventure that was Summer Wars. I really wasn't sure if he was going to reign himself in in that way, considering his previous efforts, so I'm glad that he went that path.

On a more general note that's the kind of thing that the anime industry has to produce if they're going to have products that will appeal internationally.

You've just made the wait for the Blu-Ray release that much worse!
What makes this achievement all the more meaningful is that by telling a story this way, more people can appreciate the message he wants to share, and the appeal is much more universal. I'm not surprised at all that the movie is doing so well in Japan right now. It provides an experience which appeals to those who watch Ghibli films, but yet it is so far from anything Ghibli would ever produce and hence it offers a unique experience which cannot be found anywhere else.
I know that you are already well aware of this, but for the sake of those who aren't aware - Hosoda used to work at Studio Ghibli. In fact, he was supposed to do Howl's Moving Castle. However that didn't work out and so ended up leaving the studio. It doesn't seem like he had a particularly good experience when he worked there.

This just goes to show how shit Studio Ghibli is at nurturing upcoming talent. Things either have to be done the Ghibli way (which is the Hayo Miyazaki way) or not at all. All that does stifle the creativity and talent that could be creating a new generation of movies at Studio Ghibli. What do they have instead? Goro Miyazaki? Takahata churning out ANOTHER anime, even though he's been doing it since the 60's? They are doomed.

Obvious SAO series Spoilers, but spoilered just in case

Of course Kirito beats the game and comes out. They keep the name as Sword Art Online even when Kirito starts playing other MMO's. He plays another fantasy type MMO called ALfheim Online, but this time all of the player characters are variations of Fae creatures. ALfheim Online also has magic and promotes PKing. He also plays another MMO called Gun Gale Online, An American made MMO set in a Post Apocalyptic setting in a Spaceship (lol wut?) with a focus on guns (of course).

Here's Kirito in ALfheim Online
http://i.imgur.com/w6vlG.jpg

and he comes back to it later looking like this
http://i.imgur.com/hRQ8h.png

and here he is in Gun Gale lol
http://i.imgur.com/9uwvP.png

So is he actually a girl in Gun Gale or just feminine?

Yes? Unsurprisingly a Production I.G. produced series looks better than a White Fox produced series. I don't see this is as being a contentious statement.
The main dude looks like someone photoshopped a boy's face onto a young adult's body. No amount of animation quality is going to save that.

Soma

Do I have to watch all the stupid movies or can I just skip to Kara no Kyoukai 5?

I'm sure you could and still appreciate the direction of the film. 1 and 3 do have some details that more or less coincide with the plot of 5 and I think these three movies make a good trilogy on their own. 1 has gotten some mixed reactions here but I enjoyed it and 3 is generally well liked too. 2 and 4 you could just skip though.

Jex

Crying Freeman 1

i98rsD0oNDsv1.gif

That's just the supporting cast. There's also other stuff with the main character curing his virginity, playing with knives, and learning ancient Chinese tradition that's not nearly as interesting.

I think it's worth noting that both the female and male main characters are virgins. In fact, Emu Hino is such a virgin that she dresses up in the wedding gown her father gives her and tells the man who is trying to assassinate her to "love me, before you kill me".

Narag

I think it's worth noting that both the female and male main characters are virgins. In fact, Emu Hino is such a virgin that she dresses up in the wedding gown her father gives her and tells the man who is trying to assassinate her to "love me, before you kill me".

So important that the OVA opens on that note:
Today is my birthday. I'm 29 years old finally. 29 and still a virgin. I know it's hard to believe but it is the truth.

Jex

The main dude looks like someone photoshopped a boy's face onto a young adult's body. No amount of animation quality is going to save that.

I don't the character designs look that bad. Certainly no worse than the designs for the Steins;Gate
anime, which weren't exactly good.

Just so that people can understand what I'm talking about, here's an example of a typical outside shot in Steins;Gate:

Steins11.jpg

Everything is extremely washed out and desaturated, making everything look bland and artificial. The whiteness even extends to the edges of the frame, making it looks like there's some kind of fog enveloping the city -

Steins16.jpg

Of course, there's some even more extreme shots of this particular "technique":

Steins14.jpg

Internal shots look ugly too, but for different reasons. They're dark and colourless, rather than washed-out and colourless:

Steins18.jpg

Steins12.jpg

Finally, here's an example of 'quality' character design:

Steins19.jpg

I don't the character designs look that bad. Certainly no worse than the designs for the Steins;Gate anime, which weren't exactly good.
Most of them aren't that bad(just terribly generic) and I can see how they could appeal to some people, but the more I look at the protagonist the more aggressively ugly he looks. Steins;Gate had its moments where the characters lost their noses and looked like creepy aliens, but it was nothing like this.

I want to believe that the PV's clip choices were simply unfortunate, but that seems unlikely.

edit: see, I thought the washed out effect worked really well in context. It's not something that's going to work for every show(Jormungand seems like a perfect example of this), but in this case it did. It made the atmosphere feel in turns subdued and alien.

I've got nothing to excuse the occasional and unfortunate nose loss that happens, though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Steins;gate is so visually offensive. It offends me that people actually like the series.

Jex

edit: see, I thought the washed out effect worked really well in context. It's not something that's going to work for every show(Jormungand seems like a perfect example of this), but in this case it did. It made the atmosphere feel in turns subdued and alien.

Everything in moderation. I feel like you can use that style from time to time (but even then you should do it in a far subtler way) but to do it so bluntly and so continually makes me think you have no idea how to colour your show. The fact that it's unrelenting dilutes and erases any 'artistic effect' that it could have because there's nothing to contrast it with.
I've got nothing to excuse the occasional and unfortunate nose loss that happens, though.

I can't say that I am a fan of the eyes or the hair either. The eyes are super creepy.

I don't the character designs look that bad. Certainly no worse than the designs for the Steins;Gate
anime, which weren't exactly good.

Just so that people can understand what I'm talking about, here's an example of a typical outside shot in Steins;Gate:

Some of those don't seem that bad, but the point is the occasional shoddy background is preferable to character designs or an art style that don't appeal to you. At a glance, I would think the characters in Robotics;Note were Anohana rejects or something.

If I ever had any inclination to watch the Steins;Gate anime, those screenshots have certainly killed it. The episode of Jormungand I watched looked better than this.

It would seem that an apology of some sort has been posted on the official Kokoro Connect site. Of course, I can't understand a word of it, so if someone who can could give us a summary of what it's saying, that'd be wonderful.

http://www.kokoro-connect.com/news/

It's not really a genuine apology; the staff claim that the video and audio footage that's appeared on the Internet has been tampered with (what?) and taken out of context, so they're apologizing for the "misunderstanding" that has occurred. Heaven forbid they take responsibility for their actions!

Jex

Some of those don't seem that bad, but the point is the occasional shoddy background is preferable to character designs or an art style that don't appeal to you. At a glance, I would think the characters in Robotics;Note were Anohana rejects or something.

All that outdoor lighting is oversaturated, washed out and bland.

All the indoor stuff is dark and bland. It's not occasional. It's constant.

fertygo

That spinning camera shot at cliffhanger ending in eps 13/14 (can't remember) might the only good thing in visual that White Fox done for S; G anime.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I value good writing above all else. Get wrecked art scrubs.
The production of Steins;gate is just generally incompetent in every aspect from editing, direction, visuals etc. I mean the writing was probably good enough to overcome those aspects (otherwise people here wouldn't like it) but you can't say with a straight face those three things aren't important.

Branduil

I don't understand why everyone believe that a Robotics;Notes by White Fox would use the same art style as Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate - with a Akihabara setting
Robotics;Note - small school in the middle of nowhere

It would be silly to use the same art style. And I think the art style of the anime adapatation was pretty neat but opinions are opinions.

steins_gate_01_01-21o3ubq.jpg

photo-12850-72c01310reuyy.jpg

Without commenting on the composition of those shots, which is difficult to judge without context, those images have a very washed-out and digital look which is fairly unappealing.

Soma

If anything I just hope the Steins;Gate anime prompts people to check out the Visual Novel which I've been enjoying quite a bit lately.

Everything in moderation. I feel like you can use that style from time to time (but even then you should do it in a far subtler way) but to do it so bluntly and so continually makes me think you have no idea how to colour your show. The fact that it's unrelenting dilutes and erases any 'artistic effect' that it could have because there's nothing to contrast it with.
I just see it as ambiance. There were certainly times where they went overboard and it made me wonder if something was wrong with my monitor, but those were few and far between enough that they didn't hamper the work as a whole.

I can't say that I am a fan of the eyes or the hair either. The eyes are super creepy.
I'm ambivalent about the hair. Okabe's looks kind of weird, but I like Mayuri's. And at least they aren't fish eyes!

edit: I'm not sure bland is really a good way to describe Steins;Gate considering how distinct it is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The production of Steins;gate is just generally incompetent in every aspect from editing, direction, visuals etc. I mean the writing was probably good enough to overcome those aspects (otherwise people here wouldn't like it) but you can't say with a straight face those three things aren't important.
The editing and direction were fine outside of the first episode.

Why are people suddenly complaining about Steins;Gate? You guys are like a year late. They hyper-saturation is fine as a stylistic choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom