• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Am not saying whitefox would of made robotic;notes look any better, it would of probably looked a little worse(Pig have better animators), it's just that the base art &character design for robotic; notes looks ugly by that I mean very generic forgettable anime look(something like idolemaster,anohana and tons of thousands of others that have been forgotten).

It looks worse then steins;gate from what we seen so far, it's not production IG's fault, I don't think anyone could have made it look interesting.

Branduil

Infinite Ryvius

Finished this up yesterday, and came away from it very impressed. While it does fall into the sci-fi genre, the greatest emphasis seemed to be on the individual character development as well as their relationships with one another. Everyone changed and evolved (well, maybe less so for the likes of
Yuki and Blue
) in some ways expected, and others not. Some of the more annoying characters, such as Lucson, even became likeable by the end.

I was also impressed with how they portrayed the overall society onboard the Ryvius. While most of the major characters seemed to hit a breaking point mentally, the overall societal structure seemed to hold together much better than I would have expected, considering it was all students aboard. Even then this didn't seem disingenuous to me, as
the various leadership changes, particularly when Ikumi took over, did take their toll eventually

I'm not the biggest fan of Hirai's character designs, but I thought these were reasonably well done. The cast here felt more visually distinctive here than Gundam SEED, for instance. Funnily enough Yuki looked to me like a proto-Kira/Shinn (didn't hurt that he was voiced by Souichirou Hoshi, who would go on to voice Kira in SEED).

Excellent series overall, and I'd highly recommend it even if you are not a sci-fi anime fan. Even though the sci-fi elements did seem secondary to me much of the time, I thought they were still well presented enough.
Well, the space squid were a bit odd, but whatever *shrug*

Sorry if these impressions are vague or rambling. Still not very good at articulating myself, so please be gentle, AnimeGAF :p. Thanks to Branduil (among others) for throwing out the recommendation to watch this.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's the kind of legitimately good sci-fi show that Goro(and Sunrise) no longer seem interested in making.

Jex

Why are people suddenly complaining about Steins;Gate? You guys are like a year late. They hyper-saturation is fine as a stylistic choice.

Well, the 'why' is comparing and contrasting to Robotics;Note. Also, this isn't a new complaint, I'm just re-iterating it with examples.
I value good writing above all else. Get wrecked art scrubs.

I don't think saying that Steins;Gate is a good show with bad art is controversial. There's no need to dismiss the 'quality of the art' as a valid complaint for a work in a visual medium.

Branduil

Saimoe Round 1 - Group E, Day 1 Results:

E01
1st 176 Sakuno Uryuu @ Mashiroiro Symphony ~The Colour Of Lovers~
2nd 122 Chiaki Kurihara @ Bodacious Space Pirates
3rd 98 Cordelia Glauca @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes

E05
1st 182 Sanae Nagatsuki @ Squid Girl
2nd 117 Yuuko Aioi @ Nichijou
3rd 90 Atsumi Miyagawa @ Recorder & Randsell

E09
1st 205 Charlotte Dunois @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 144 Chitose Ikeda @ Yuru Yuri
3rd 64 Mix @ Aquarion Evol

-----------------------------------------------

I'm almost convinced at this point that the only reason Saki exists is for saimoe tournaments.

Gintama 94

gAcuZ.jpg

Dunno, this could be an improvement!

We also watch a Madao fight the Heidi in his heart.

Jex

I don't understand why everyone believe that a Robotics;Notes by White Fox would use the same art style as Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate - with a Akihabara setting
Robotics;Note - small school in the middle of nowhere

steins_gate_01_01-21o3ubq.jpg

It would be silly to use the same art style. And I think the art style of the anime adapatation was pretty neat but opinions are opinions.
Haha, I think it's funny that we use the same exact shot to make two completely different arguments.

Defuser

Sword Awesome Online ep 9
Dat action and dat skill. Been waiting for something like since ep 2 although I don't like they cut out the scene from Kirito and Lizbeth and made it as a passing comment. Finally, Remon Senpai Heathcliff appears!

Edit:
Asuna doesn't contribute to anything except cooking.

Edit 2:
What is Lizbeth doing in Agil's Shop?

All that outdoor lighting is oversaturated, washed out and bland.

All the indoor stuff is dark and bland. It's not occasional. It's constant.

Well then I'll just agree with Hobo and say it added ambiance or something. I don't know, it didn't really bother me and I loved the character designs themselves. Definitely a lot more than the generic Robotics:Note ones.

In this case I just don't understand the value of watching the Steins;Gate anime when I could read the VN which has the same writing, only more fleshed out and accompanied by better art.

VNs don't have animation (well, some do, but you know what I mean).

Sword Art Online 9

Stuff happened and it was good.

Branduil

Whats with all this White Fox hate all of a sudden? I haven't even heard of that studio and suddenly they are the worst thing ever.

I don't think anybody is actually claiming White Fox is the worst studio ever. But they do seem to be gaining a reputation for adapting interesting stories and then limiting their potential due to their own cheap production value and mediocre talent.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well, the 'why' is comparing and contrasting to Robotics;Note. Also, this isn't a new complaint, I'm just re-iterating it with examples.
How do the visual inadequacies of S:G effect Robotics;Notes being ugly as all heck in any way?

man people hating on Steins;Gate...
the style was by choice it fit the tone of the show, If it was super bright and colorful it would have lost alot of the mood.
though I do like the vn colors of the characters better.

Mature

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1-12 [End]
Thus ends one of the most enjoyable anime I've watched in a very long time. Seriously, this show was superb. Uniquely funny beginning to end with likable characters who were represented well with great animation and a slice-of-life story that never feels like those shows tend to feel-- which is a good thing, I think. I'm having a hard time finding words to praise something like this, that is, a comedy. It is just a comedy, but It's so... unique? And when talking about it to others I feel like I'm actively doing it a disservice. "Highschool girls run a maid cafe with hi-jinks to follow" is just about the opposite of something I expect to enjoy, much less hold in high regard. I wonder how many people who would have enjoyed this read that synopsis and didn't give it a shot. Sad.

I actually felt bad for watching some of the earlier episodes in quick succession, so I started limiting myself to an episode a night. I haven't actively fretted finishing something since I was a kid, hah. So yeah. Thumbs up and all that. Watch it even if you think you wouldn't like it. It might surprise you. Or just watch for the
impossibly cute Hotori
. What have I become..?

I sort of feel inclined to ask this: Is there anything out there remotely similar to Soredemo? I glanced at Akiyuki Shinbo's wikipedia page, but it sort of seems like a mixed bag. And I don't even know if the reasons I enjoyed it so much stem from the director. I feel pretty newb-y when it comes to the inner workings of anime and who the core of the credit should be given to for the anime's overall tone (if anyone).

Natsuyuki Rendesvous 9
It's officially dragging. =(

Dresden

I sort of feel inclined to ask this: Is there anything out there remotely similar to Soredemo? I glanced at Akiyuki Shinbo's wikipedia page, but it sort of seems like a mixed bag. And I don't even know if the reasons I enjoyed it so much stem from the director. I feel pretty newb-y when it comes to the inner workings of anime and who the core of the credit should be given to for the anime's overall tone (if anyone).
From that same pool of work, Arakawa Under the Bridge and Natsh no Arashi always felt similar to me, although they're not as good as Soredemo. Which, in turn, is probably the best shaft show in recent years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From that same pool of work, Arakawa Under the Bridge and Natsh no Arashi always felt similar to me, although they're not as good as Soredemo. Which, in turn, is probably the best shaft show in recent years.
I dunno, style-wise there are the standard Shaft-similarities, but beyond that, they have unique weird shots. SoreMachi had the high-angle floor camera, for one.

I haven't seen any of the shows in a while, but my gut says that Natsu no Arashi is the best of the three. lol

Mature

Was afraid, but expecting to hear something to that effect. Damn. I have plans of watching Arakawa already though since a friend is also interested. I'll probably put Natsu on the ol' waiting list.

wonzo

Banned
To be fair they take a cue from the game for the washed out effect, except in the anime its 10x worse.
These actually look good unlike the anime and get across the overall visual tone far better than what the show was poorly trying to pull off.

Thus ends one of the most enjoyable anime I've watched in a very long time. Seriously, this show was superb. Uniquely funny beginning to end with likable characters who were represented well with great animation and a slice-of-life story that never feels like those shows tend to feel-- which is a good thing, I think. I'm having a hard time finding words to praise something like this, that is, a comedy. It is just a comedy, but It's so... unique? And when talking about it to others I feel like I'm actively doing it a disservice. "Highschool girls run a maid cafe with hi-jinks to follow" is just about the opposite of something I expect to enjoy, much less hold in high regard. I wonder how many people who would have enjoyed this read that synopsis and didn't give it a shot. Sad.

The premise of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is really deceiving. The great thing about the series is that the maid cafe setup doesn't define the humor; rather, the setting of the town and the characters who inhabit it are fleshed out such that continually varied situations can be pulled from them. The manga author, Ishiguro Masakazu, said it best:

"I'm sure that many of you have realized this, but I've never actually been to a maid cafe. In fact, I have no particular interest in maids. As I look back at the first volume, this was probably a good thing. Because this maid cafe is only one part of the stage that is the shopping district, and the shopping district is only one part of the setting that is everyday life."

Well, the thing to understand about Shinbo in particular is that though he is credited as director for all the shows produced by Shaft, he is really more like an overseerer, providing the studio with a general style while leaving the particulars of each show more up to the person credited as series director. So his name being attached to a production isn't a guarantee of any kind of quality.

Honestly, if you want more like Soredemo, you're better off reading the original manga, which has many more hilarious and moving scenarios that the anime didn't adapt, and other works by Masakazu such as Getenrou.

Branduil

Some of those don't seem that bad, but the point is the occasional shoddy background is preferable to character designs or an art style that don't appeal to you. At a glance, I would think the characters in Robotics;Note were Anohana rejects or something.

Of all the problems Ano Hana had, character design wasn't one of them.
Except Anaru lol.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 09
It's junk in every sense. Lacking direction and utterly incapable of carrying itself moment to moment SAO has kind of just become a very ho-hum experience that seems underwhelmed even by itself. At no point did this episode feel particularly inspired, meaningful, tense, or useful up until its set up for the next episode. So when everything was uninteresting except for what's promised it sort of feels like this show is failing over and over again.

To be fair they take a cue from the game for the washed out effect, except in the anime its 10x worse.

Thanks to some of you that said some outrageous crap like its better than TokiKake.
I make it a habit of telling the truth..
seriously though, its my 2nd favorite anime after Higurashi so thats how I feel.
Tgtltt is still around my top 5 though.

Because when the anime was airing, the translation project wasn't anywhere near done yet?

That's an understandable reason. Personally, when the anime was starting, I decided to wait out the first couple episodes as I've been burned with VN adaptations in the best (yes, I'm talking about Umineko). When I heard mixed impressions from trusted sources, I decided to wait for the VN translation. I'm happy with the decision I made.

See, I really do like the Steins;Gate VN art, which is why looking at the anime and how it drained away all the visual character is particularly painful.

Gen Urobuchi's involvement in Psycho-Pass is confirmed: https://twitter.com/the4_ch/status/241908494649925633

The next issue of Otona Animedia (due for release on 10/5) will have an interview with the director and Gen Butch on Psycho-Pass.

Fun times!

Mature

The premise of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is really deceiving. The great thing about the series is that the maid cafe setup doesn't define the humor; rather, the setting of the town and the characters who inhabit it are fleshed out such that continually varied situations can be pulled from them. The manga author, Ishiguro Masakazu, said it best:

"I'm sure that many of you have realized this, but I've never actually been to a maid cafe. In fact, I have no particular interest in maids. As I look back at the first volume, this was probably a good thing. Because this maid cafe is only one part of the stage that is the shopping district, and the shopping district is only one part of the setting that is everyday life."
That makes too much sense, haha.

Well, the thing to understand about Shinbo in particular is that though he is credited as director for all the shows produced by Shaft, he is really more like an overseerer, providing the studio with a general style while leaving the particulars of each show more up to the person credited as series director. So his name being attached to a production isn't a guarantee of any kind of quality.

Honestly, if you want more like Soredemo, you're better off reading the original manga, which has many more hilarious and moving scenarios that the anime didn't adapt, and other works by Masakazu such as Getenrou.
Well, I'm glad I asked! So something like a "Series Composition" credit is more relevant to a specific show than the actual director? Is this a common practice or is Shaft an exception?

I'll definitely check out the manga and Masakazu's other works.

Branduil

Man, these shots really make White Fox look bad by comparison. You can see how they took an interesting and aesthetically pleasing art style and turned it into blurry digital pablum. Just look at the richly textured brush strokes and subtle uses of color that are completely absent in the anime shots.

Jex

At this point I think the only thing it guarantees is that it's a SHAFT production. Which you would already know.

Uchip

Banned
Judging time travel movies solely by the method of time travel they use is silly.

Hey, I love Back to the Future and all but I have to give steins gate credit for actually putting some thought into it.
Stupid doesn't imply that it isn't a fun movie, either.

The main point of the film wasn't the fact it had time travel though.

that was definitely the hook, im not sure what you're getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom