• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka 20

8zimC.jpg
o55CQ.jpg

This was another excellent episode. The best element of these last several episodes is the manner in which the character and relationship development gradually evolves, which results in a thoroughly satisfying progression. The incredibly detailed background art remains, as always, one of the most impressive aspects of this show. The meticulously implemented visual cues used to portray how bitterly cold it was were fantastic here.

The shrine was a really nice change of scenery, providing a more romantic feel to the Oreki x Chitanda "date". They really have terrific chemistry together, and I greatly enjoy the small, but effective nods to their ever-growing relationship. I mean, they're practically a couple now. Next episode will very likely be amazing since it seems to take place on
Valentines Day
, providing a large possibility for greater romantic developments among the Oreki x Chitanda and Satoshi x Mayaka relationships. All in all, I'm really going to miss Hyouka after the last episode, as it's easily one of the best anime of the year.

Jinrui 10

This was just as great as the last episode. The fairy-centric focus was fantastic. Also, there was another short, but brilliant use of Ave Maria.

Hitler fairy is best fairy.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 5-6

I don't even know what to say. This show's mission is to blow my mind.

And now I'm expecting
all unmanned space shuttles to gain consciense and get moefied before coming back to Earth once humanity's about to get extinct.

YES

If only :(

cajunator

Banned
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 5-6

I don't even know what to say. This show's mission is to blow my mind.

And now I'm expecting
all unmanned space shuttles to gain consciense and get moefied before coming back to Earth once humanity's about to get extinct.

YES

You liked Watashi with short hair?

Nafe

Fantastic Children Episode One

duckroll has recommended people watch the anime Fantastic Children a few times before so I decided to give the first episode a watch. Taking a quick look at the staff of the show I don't think I really recognized anyone but found it pretty interesting that Takashi Nakamura is credited as the creator, director, character designer, Storyboarded both the OP and ED and I didn't see in the credits but looking it up apparently also the writer of every episode along with Hideki Mitsui!! He also Storyboarded the first episode with direction being credited to Yoriyasu Kogawa.

I didn't really recognize any of the seiyuu either. Most of the cast seems to be voiced by people I haven't heard before or it was a character that played some side part so I don't really remember their voice. In the credits though, I saw that Mel was voiced by Maaya Sakamoto but I didn't recognize her voice here. Thoma's father I recognized as Ookawa Tooru but only because of a couple words otherwise he sounded different in this show as well. Usually I find his voice pretty distinctive and can pick it out right away.

I liked both the OP and the ED, although I think I liked the ED song better, and recognized Origa singing the ending theme. Since she is Russian, I found out there is a Russian version of the song and I gave it a listen and I think I like both versions about equal.

Right now I think I mostly like Takashi's character designs but there are some characters I'm not sure of yet, such as the one boy who looks like he has the nose of The Penguin from Batman. They also seem to have an older styling to them which seems in contrast to many of the designs I'm familiar with around the time the show came out in late 2004 early 2005, or anything since then really I guess.

It does seem interesting the way it opens with so many mysteries intertwined together. Since I'm not sure how to detail some of my interpretations and speculations I think I'm going to have to black out the rest.

One of the mysteries I'm curious about is how the children "work". They seem to stay as children and are reborn, every ten years I believe it was?, yet when Conrad seemed to reject being one of the "before children", looking at the newspaper it seemed that he then aged and passed away. I wonder if the same happened to Mel as she seemed to have a bit of a breakdown and then apparently couldn't remember the other children.

I'm also curious of the children's relationship to this other girl. She doesn't have white hair and seems to age normally yet it seems that it's implied that she is also reborn at a rate of every 100 years. There is the girl "Serafine" who passes away and who the children believe is "Tina", which the credits then say is "Christina", and the one boy asked how old she was but seemed to be more interested in what year that would make her date of birth. He then mentions her birthday is about 100 years after the death of Christina. The story then jumps ahead 111 years to where we see the girl resting on the statue. She looks like she could be about 11 after the 100 year wait. The credits also support this as it shows the date of birth and death for Christina and Serafine then shows "Helga" as 2001- .

Naturally I'm curious about other things such as what is depicted in the paintings and why Dumas seems to be acting in his own ways different from the other children. Based on the what is depicted in the opening, I'm under the assumption they are most likely from space somewhere, or possibly the future and have come back to the past or are possibly the last survivors from some highly advanced ancient civilization something like Atlantis.

Anyway, I'm interested enough to keep watching the show to see what becomes of these mysteries. I also apologize if it this post was a long read. Thank you for your time if you did read it though.

Kino's Journey 1-3

Such simple animation and a beautiful, yet sad, short story to begin the series. Then comes episode two with that ending, followed by the question of what happened by the end of episode three. Looks like the next episode will explain a bit of Kino's past self.

Overall, SO GOOD. I enjoy thinking about what could happen next in a series of mysteries.

Theonik

YES

I was expecting her hair to resist or something. It sucks that they never played the whole sentient hair thing after the first 2 episodes. Then again this episode might be out of chronological order as the show likes to skip around.

Hyouka 20
tumblr_m9r25n5PDY1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Actually pretty good episode, surprised they gave that much screentime to Oreki's feet though I guess to highlight the boredom over talking to Chitanda. Although it was still heavy in the plot from a fanfiction situation, I still enjoyed it, Satoshi's adds so much to this and complements Oreki so well.

Loved the four sceens of how Oreki would get out the shed as well as trying to get their friends to come to them. Wonder how Mayaka couldnt put the pieces in place, but thankfully through understanding, Satoshi knew exactly what and where to go, best friends

Probably sitting on a nine out of ten come next week I think if I had to rate the experience. Been a great anime and shows its probably the best in the mystery and school life anime department.

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 1-3

Such simple animation and a beautiful, yet sad, short story to begin the series. Then comes episode two with that ending, followed by the question of what happened by the end of episode three. Looks like the next episode will explain a bit of Kino's past self.

Overall, SO GOOD. I enjoy thinking about what could happen next in a series of mysteries.

Yes, there are more strange mysteries of human nature to come.
Kino's Journey was so refreshingly different from everything else. God I love that series.
Kino is also a complete BADASS.
The show will really make you question why things are the way they are, even in the real world. Humanity is so wonderful but so awful at the same time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was expecting her hair to resist or something. It sucks that they never played the whole sentient hair thing after the first 2 episodes. Then again this episode might be out of chronological order as the show likes to skip around.

Yeah.
I didn't watch episode 7 yet but it seems to me that this is actually a prequel to the first one.

Theonik

Yeah.
I didn't watch episode 7 yet but it seems to me that this is actually a prequel to the first one.
It seems so. I just wish the show tried to make more sense on this regard. Also she said she had to cut her hair because of a bet, whereas on 6 it was a punishment.
At any rate enjoy episode 7.

Yes, there are more strange mysteries of human nature to come.
Kino's Journey was so refreshingly different from everything else. God I love that series.
Kino is also a complete BADASS.
The show will really make you question why things are the way they are, even in the real world. Humanity is so wonderful but so awful at the same time.

Just finished episode four, "The Land of Adults". Not sure how to describe the adults' personalities here, but
male
Kino sure was awesome as you say.

The unique plots of each episode remind me of Mushi-shi. I am glad that I now own this series.

wonzo

Banned
Kino's Journey 1-3

One of my all time favourite series. You should totally hunt down the special episodes once you're done with the main series as they're also pretty great! I don't think were ever officially brought over in English however. :(

cajunator

Banned
Just finished episode four, "The Land of Adults". Not sure how to describe the adults' personalities here, but
male
Kino sure was awesome as you say.

The unique plots of each episode remind me of Mushi-shi. I am glad that I now own this series.

Its one of my favorites for sure.
Yeah I refer to Kino like that for that very reason.
I think that episode was meant to be taken on a metaphorical or symbolic level, but it could just as easily be taken literally. The scary part is, society almost seems to expect the same of people. The show is just filled to the brim with mysteries and observations like that. Its absolutely amazing. Please continue your observations too. I am very interested to hear them!

Tari Tari 10

Amazing.

Really good episode, mostly cause it wasn't heavy on the drama. Or forced drama. Instead we get superheroes protecting Enoshima's shoppers!

Wien is truly the best character of this season. This episode cements that.

One of my all time favourite series. You should totally hunt down the special episodes once you're done with the main series as they're also pretty great! I don't think were ever officially brought over in English however. :(

You mean the two 30 minute films, "Life Goes On" and "Country of Illness -For You-"?

Articalys

Tari Tari 10

Man, the last few minutes were cheesy as hell. "What's wrong with you people", indeed.

Land surveyors at the school
? Couldn't be more ominous if they tried.

Its one of my favorites for sure.
Yeah I refer to Kino like that for that very reason.
I think that episode was meant to be taken on a metaphorical or symbolic level, but it could just as easily be taken literally. The scary part is, society almost seems to expect the same of people. The show is just filled to the brim with mysteries and observations like that. Its absolutely amazing. Please continue your observations too. I am very interested to hear them!

I will try to give an observation if I can. I am not terribly good at giving long explanations and then debating when opinions others have to my views are challenged.

Kino is a woman, unless you are referring to the original Kino.

I understand that fact, as I was referring to the latter and hence the spoiler tag.

Narag

Seeing you do this daily is fascinating to me. I'm intrigued to see what you feel about the series a few months from now and if you can keep up the 1 a day pace when some crazy cliffhangers show up.

I've done 2 a day a couple times! I'll probably try and keep them paced together even if it isn't daily. Cliffhangers? Might just bump up the pace briefly too.

cajunator

Banned
Kino is a woman, unless you are referring to the original Kino.

I am.
I love how the show confuses you right off the bat by portraying Kino without a specified gender, because you only find out later that Kino is a girl. Furthermore it throws you for another loop by showing an adult male Kino who is someone entirely different

You mean the two 30 minute films, "Life Goes On" and "Country of Illness -For You-"?

Both are well worth watching! ALso see if you can locate Episode 00, called The Tower Country.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I am.
I love how the show confuses you right off the bat by portraying Kino without a specified gender, because you only find out later that Kino is a girl. Furthermore it throws you for another loop by showing an adult male Kino who is someone entirely different

Some friends and I had an early on theory for Kino's Journey that only crazy people can hear the bike. We never felt sufficiently proven wrong.

Narag

Wardrobe Dwellers

Another part of the 2010 Young Animator's Training Project, this time is was something akin to a fairy/folk tale as a young woman is given a wardrobe by her mother. It's a family heirloom home to spirits or whatever that have served her family for a while. Each has a specific role (a cook, a safety expert, etc) who help her get her slovenly life in order and teach her a thing or two about family. It was cute although I wasn't entirely feeling it as I feared that they were attempting to make her a more marriageable prospect which thankfully wasn't the case. They just made her a better person.

QIRVCl.jpg

Some of the backgrounds had this super soft feel to them which I enjoyed, especiallyat night.
BIYNsl.png

The character on the left just needed a zigzag on his shirt to be a fat Charlie Brown.
1bUzGl.jpg

The main cast.

Narag

Ojii-san no Lamp

I really liked this one, probably my favorite of the four 2010 Young Animator's Training Projects. Actually I think it's my favorite out of both the 2010 & 2011 YATP entries. A kid finds an old lamp and his grandfather relates a story about his past and what he lamp meant. The tale begins when the grandfather was just a child and how he found a way to better his life via the modernization of Japan and how the rapid pace of said modernization suddenly threatened his and his family's livelihood. I found it really engaging, especially as he's forced to weigh his initial stance against old and new technologies against his current reality.

Q7WVol.jpg

9M6ZEl.jpg

It's presented in a grounded more realistic style but that didn't stop the show from tossing in something extra to show how the main character was no longer afraid of the dark due to his lamp.

Jintor

Cardcaptor Sakura 01

Wow. I've never watched this in Japanese before, non-dubbed version. It's... really 90s. Like, high quality 90s. I love it.

wonzo

Banned
Humanity Has Declined 10

These... these are the faces of pure unbridled joy. Joy... joy at witnessing an episode as fantastic as the last one. Hopefully this is a trend that'll stick to the very end.

edit: i just realised Nakata's the very same fairy being used as a guide for the first two episodes... holy shit.

Nafe

Fantastic Children Episode 2

Okay, I had actually watched the first episode just a day ago so having two impression posts not long after each other will likely be an exception, as I don't plan to marathon this show but instead watch it at a rate of one, maybe two episodes a day.

Last episode I mentioned not seeing Takashi Nakamura as the writer but I was looking during the ending sequence, it's actually listed right there during the opening. The second episode was also storyboarded by Takashi once again.

The music is done by Kouji Ueno, whom I'm also not familiar with, but who apparently did the music for the opening of Kanon 2002 and some of the movie Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise, neither of which I've seen yet but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far. The use of sound in this Anime seems really well done too. I like how this anime is one of the one's that doesn't shy away from having long periods where the character's don't talk but instead let's the visuals and music/sound do the talking instead.

The second episode managed to add a bunch more questions while only answering maybe a couple. Regarding the character Conrad/Palza it's kind of interesting how he
appears to be based off of the real Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen who discovered X-Rays. With that, the children also don't seemed to be surprised about their existence as if they already knew, supporting that they most likely are from someone else in space. Possibly the future but it seems more likely space based on the imagery in the opening.

My interpretations regarding the girl turned out to be correct. Not only did they directly confirm it this episode but they do so in a few different ways. Regarding that I like how they were, somewhat anyway, subtler in the imagery where
in the girls room you can see a bunch of pictures hanging on the wall that are the same as those in the room where Serafine was, and in the book the one girl was looking at. The camera never directly focuses on the pictures as if to really overemphasize it and I liked that it didn't beat you over the head with it to keep that air of mystery.

I kind of wish this was done last episode where
you see the vehicle in the center of the frame with two figures inside and the camera lingers for a moment. Dumas is then shown in the vehicle and I wish it was just left without showing him and he appeared later so that it was a bit more of a surprise for a reaction more like "aha, so that's who was in the vehicle earlier."
Not a big deal as it really works either way, just something I thought of.

The episode sort of half cleared up what happened regarding Mel, apparently
she didn't reject herself willingly like Conrad did but was losing her memories because she didn't use that sort of crystal device, I think.

The whole scene regarding those
"Shadow" things
was pretty interesting too. There was a lot of nice imagery in that whole scene.

Lain

Accel World 18-21

This is still the most rage worthy show of the season. Chiyu's behaviour is inexcusable and Haru should have swallowed his pride and told everything to his girlfriend, so the situation could have been resolved by now instead of taking such a detour.

Estetica 8-9

I would have preferred these 2 episodes condensed into 1, so episode 9 could have had the fight between the two, but other than that the show keeps being great to follow.

Been re-watching the original Rurouni Kenshin. I had re-started it so I could have my memories of it fresh when I reviewed the live action film, but now I'm just watching for fun.

I forgot how absolutely nutty the music in this show could be. So nostalgic.

Jintor

Cardcaptor Sakura 01

This show is fucking badass. Goddamn. Better than half the anime I've started watching in the last year.

Also: the music is boss.

Ouran High School Host Club 2

I'm finding the OP to be incredibly catchy. "Kiss kiss fall in love!"

The comedic timing was equally as strong as the first episode. Banana peel slips are a cliche, but the one here was hilarious, mostly due to its inadvertent consequences.
Poor Tamaki.

Maaya Sakamoto is doing a stand-up job as Haruhi.

The only problem I have so far is that some of the digital art is problematic. The color schemes selected for the outside establishing shots are rather unfortunate at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom