• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ouran High School Host Club 2

I'm finding the OP to be incredibly catchy. "Kiss kiss fall in love!"

The comedic timing was equally as strong as the first episode. Banana peel slips are a cliche, but the one here was hilarious, mostly due to its inadvertent consequences.
Poor Tamaki.

Maaya Sakamoto is doing a stand-up job as Haruhi.

The only problem I have so far is that some of the digital art is problematic. The color schemes selected for the outside establishing shots are rather unfortunate at times.

Ouran High is pretty great all the way through, good choice. :)

Jintor

So good he watched it twice.

Might be. But I posted the first bit when I was only halfway through the episode.

I'm a big believer in the idea you can get a sense of the quality of a series very early on in, and it's a very rare series that bucks the trend and suddenly becomes amazing after 20 episodes or something like that.

cajunator

Banned
Might be. But I posted the first bit when I was only halfway through the episode.

I'm a big believer in the idea you can get a sense of the quality of a series very early on in, and it's a very rare series that bucks the trend and suddenly becomes amazing after 20 episodes or something like that.

CCS is amazing (and cute as hell) from the very first seconds.
It keeps being fantastic throughout, with very few episodes that you could call weak.
Now its episodic monster of the week type stuff, but its really fun and doesn't drag. Its a fast, easy watch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ouran High School Host Club 2

I'm finding the OP to be incredibly catchy. "Kiss kiss fall in love!"
pgsmnaru_zps88c46f11.jpg

jman2050

Cardcaptor Sakura 01

Wow. I've never watched this in Japanese before, non-dubbed version. It's... really 90s. Like, high quality 90s. I love it.

I'm really not one to rage against the apparent atrocity against humanity that some people paint dubbed anime to be, but for CCS it really is a case where, once you've seen both versions, you realize just how extensively the dub completely changed the tone and pacing of the original series for the worse. And how unnecessary it all was.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm really not one to rage against the apparent atrocity against humanity that some people paint dubbed anime to be, but for CCS it really is a case where, once you've seen both versions, you realize just how extensively the dub completely changed the tone and pacing of the original series for the worse. And how unnecessary it all was.

Are you talking about Cardcaptors or did CCS itself receive a dub?

duckroll

Hyouka - Episode 20

Holy crap! That was GREAT! I loved the episode. It was totally non-standard for Hyouka, but the characters have developed to a point where a scenario like this is just so entertaining. It was funny, cute, and just totally enjoyable.
Suddenly, Samurai action! Suddenly, Juumonji as Saya-chan! Suddenly, Oreki's crazy shed destruction ideas! Suddenly, sexual tension! OMG!!!
I don't think I've laughed so hard at a Hyouka episode since the start of the Festival arc. Sogood.gif

Cardcaptors is the dub. That it was butchered to such an extent that it might as well be a different show doesn't change that fact :(

No the voices are fine. The voices were never the problem.

This. I remember how blown away I was the first time I sat down to watch CCS with my best friend. She convinced me that I wasn't going to want to jump out a window.

It was like night and day.

Hyouka 20

Couldn't they bust down the door movie style and explained their situation? Didn't miko tell them to look for stuff?

Teenagers...

Busting down the door probably better for papa's image then finding dead daughter with another dead boy.

Living people can explain. Dead people can't.

Think it was from a Dave Chapelle skit lol.

cajunator

Banned

CCS is the original. Pioneer released a US subbed only version.
Cardcaptors is the blasphemy that most people know as the dub, and it was edited heavily to make Saoran look like a competing cardcaptor to Sakura, as well as eliminating the relationships between Sakura and Tomo and Toya and Yukito and deleting several episodes. In other words, it was complete bullshit and you should avoid it out of hateful spite.

jman2050

CCS is the original. Pioneer released a US subbed only version.
Cardcaptors is the blasphemy that most people know as the dub, and it was edited heavily to make Saoran look like a competing cardcaptor to Sakura, as well as eliminating the relationships between Sakura and Tomo and Toya and Yukito and deleting several episodes. In other words, it was complete bullshit and you should avoid it out of hateful spite.

I have plenty of first-hand experience with the various... components to Cardcaptors, believe me. :x

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Cardcaptors is the dub. That it was butchered to such an extent that it might as well be a different show doesn't change that fact :(

The secrets of the Clow
Were all a mysteryyyyeeeeeee
But when that mighty book was opened
The powers were set FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I watched Cardcaptors when I was 11 or 12 and loved it, hahahah.

Instro

Hyouka 20

Kyoani is such a tease giving us those few seconds of samurai action
. This was a really strong episode I think, the character interactions combined with the setting and a traditional escape mystery of sorts worked well. The character art for everyone's outfits was beautiful, Chitanda looked amazing and Oreki was a boss with his coat on. Mayaka looked like ass, as Oreki predicted. Fucked up hair and her costume didn't even look good on her!

ohlawd

Hyouka 20

Makes me happy I watched an episode of Oda Nobuna before this episode. Don't have an exact reason why. More importantly...

6hSza.jpg

Can't go wrong with kimonos. And with Eru to boot.

Tari Tari 10

lol'd so hard at this episode. That dude's head got mindcrushed by the sheer awesome.

Dresden

Hyouka 20

Kyoani is such a tease giving us those few seconds of samurai action
. This was a really strong episode I think, the character interactions combined with the setting and a traditional escape mystery of sorts worked well. The character art for everyone's outfits was beautiful, Chitanda looked amazing and Oreki was a boss with his coat on. Mayaka looked like ass, as Oreki predicted. Fucked up hair and her costume didn't even look good on her!

maybe it's UR FACE that's FUCKED UP

Jex

[Humanity has Declined] - 10

I guess we're now crossed back into a world where this show is good again. Coincidentally, the good episodes all seem to extremely fairy-centric, which is fine by me.

Interestingly, neither this episode or the last episode had the normal ED, instead both episodes had so much story material that the episode was still going on all the way through the credits.

As I said last week, this show has just happened to get good again, so watch last weeks episode and this weeks.

Also, I don't feel like they've ever established why this story is being told out of chronological order. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Jintor

Panty + Stocking with Gartnerbelt 01 [dub]

Perfect dub. Gainax gone absolutely more insane, which I thought couldn't happen, but who knew.

Narag

Manyuu Hikenchou 9

Assuming this historically accurate, I see how the seeds of the future golden era of the DFC was planted. Nice to see Kaede given the spotlight too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not even the typical technique of showing a future event before returning back to the past to give a bit of background seeing as the latest episode is the first chronologically but not the first to go back to the past.

idolmaster 6

holy fuck.

2d dancing.

Maybe i shouldn't have dropped this show way back... but yea eps 1 is terrible still with that rape cam perspective.

Jex

It's certainly doesn't feel like it's travelling in any particular order. It doesn't seem to have any tangible benefits and it's certainly not altering what I think about the characters or the events. It feels a bit scattershot in it's approach.

I only bring it up because, well, the majority of the time stories are told in linear order. Even if you're just discussing an anecdote with a friend. It's the default way of communicating events and narrative. I don't mind breaking from this if that's the purpose of the text or if it's going to reveal something that changes your perception of all the events of if it cleverly informs you about character or something. Just messing with it for the sake of messing with it is pointless.

Pooya

Hyouka 20

I really like the characters now, when this ends next week they will be missed. don't see how anime can end satisfyingly right now, I want a lot moar :\

Jarmel

Banned
Listening to Kalafina right now, going through their discography, and I'm really liking them. It also reminds how unremarkable Kajiura's work on SAO has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom