• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
You guys started a new thread before hitting 400? Smh.

That has been going on for several seasons lately. Missions aborted early and such.

Now that I watched it I too am qualified to make this statement

Pacific Rim > Evangelion

While this is comparing apples to oranges (no not tomatoes Corvy Kun) Pacific Rim is a TON of fun. Its one of the most fun movies Ive ever seen. I enjoyed it on a level I havent enjoyed an action movie in a long long time.

Jarmel

Banned
So while I'm still mulling over how to reasonably describe why Astral Ocean is a horrible show, I'd like to get the ball rolling with a few things that are just stomach knottingly terrible.

What a terrible show.

The entire show is based around this gif:

oh_wow.gif

The show goes to ridiculous lengths to build up certain plot points only to make the end result amazingly anti-climatic. The whole Elena and Truth subplot don't amount to jackshit and were a waste of both the story's time and the audience's.

cajunator

Banned
Not on the wall of shame this time.

Aww yeah, i'm slowly on my way to normalcy.

X0r4TMj.gif

But that means less AWESOMEBEAR in this thread :(

I just noticed that Pixiv just started a Revolutionary Girl Utena art contest, with the winning entries getting displayed at an exhibition and the winners getting a high-quality print of their illustrations autographed by Ikuhara, manga artist Chiho Saito, or character designer Shinya Hasegawa.

Mhccpoq.jpg

http://www.pixiv.net/contest/utena.php
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=37162798

If ever there is a way to feel inferior as an artist lol.
Such a lovely gallery though.
Utena was one of the first anime characters I ever tried to draw. What that says about me I dont know.

sonicmj1

The entire show is based around this gif:

oh_wow.gif

The show goes to ridiculous lengths to build up certain plot points only to make the end result amazingly anti-climatic. The whole Elena and Truth subplot don't amount to jackshit and were a waste of both the story's time and the audience's.

The only subplots that have any significance to the end are established in episode fucking 2, and everything with Generation Blue, Elena, Truth, the Secrets, the Quartz, the Japan/Okinawa/USA geopolitics, and everything else were completely meaningless, and most of them have barely any significance to whatever the larger "message" of the ending was.

The show feels like the writers were just making shit up episode by episode, and didn't give any thought whatsoever to how to end things until the post-22 hiatus. And even then they had no clue what they were doing.

Shergal

Quick Reply > Thread Updater.
Thread updater breaks multiquote.
Therefore; it isn't an option.
I generally don't multiquote, and when I'm doing it it's normally before I turn on the updater, so I don't have any issues. It would be rad if they got fixed to work together tho (can they?)

(Also, 50ppp Default Theme vanillaGAF is the one true path)
Not even quick reply? smh

Neo C.

After watching Tamako Market 1 to 9, I must say the extrem X-legs, especially when the girls run, are irritating. I know they were also there in K-ON!, but it's somehow more pronounced in TM.

cajunator

Banned
Aw shit, I missed the thread changeover due to silly things like sleep! It doesn't look like it was a particularly exciting changeover though, so at least that's a comfort.

You really should watch the rest, if only so you can say that you've seen it. It's not nearly as bad as Corvo makes out, and I'd be interested to hear you form your own opinions on it. Plus it has an adorable pixie character, how can you say no to that?!

I missed the changeover cause I was watching Pacific rim. I figure thats a pretty good excuse heehee.
As for SAO, sorry but thats a show Ill only finish when my entire other backlog has been watched. i.e. never.

No, let's be fair, KyoAni character design is extremely ubiquitous.

Since K-On became so successful, KyoAni has stuck a little too close to those designs for everything, with mixed results.

Shergal

After watching Tamako Market 1 to 9, I must say the extrem X-legs, especially when the girls run, are irritating. I know they were also there in K-ON!, but it's somehow more pronounced in TM.

There were a couple of cuts in Tamako that were extremely exaggerated about this. I don't generally mind it otherwise.

Also what did you think about episode 9?

Jarmel

Banned
The only subplots that have any significance to the end are established in episode fucking 2, and everything with Generation Blue, Elena, Truth, the Secrets, the Quartz, the Japan/Okinawa/USA geopolitics, and everything else were completely meaningless, and most of them have barely any significance to whatever the larger "message" of the ending was.

The show feels like the writers were just making shit up episode by episode, and didn't give any thought whatsoever to how to end things until the post-22 hiatus. And even then they had no clue what they were doing.

AO is a perfect example on how not to tell a story. Instead of providing emotionally resonant storylines or answers, all the mysteries were answered with more mysteries. As I noted when watching, the execution feels like Lindelof. The show is just treading water for most of its run and has no clear end goal in mind or even theme. It throws in a lot of concepts such as politics but doesn't do a good job fleshing out those concepts and so it leaves a bunch of half assed things that only serve to waste time.

At least the show was nice enough to retcon itself out of existence.

/XX/

I guess Nafe doesn't stalk everyone's birthday on this board. This is good. An improvement. lol.

EDIT: K. I didn't want this to be a bait post but I guess it turned out that way and I should've clarified. lol. my bad.
Past your actual birthday or not, I'll wish for you a happy day anyway... you, the cutie kayos90!

Are these gonna be exhibited at the Utena/Penguindrum gallery?
Don't know what you're referring to, but the contest looks like it's for this special Utena exibition in late August.
There was a gallery a few months back with both exhibitions, but it seems this something else entirely.
It's the same exhibition as last time - they're just bringing it back to Tokyo again due to demand. There's no promise of further Yuri Kuma Arashi news/footage, but we can always hope.
One thing they at least changed is that 'LA FOLLETTE REVOLUTIONNAIRE' subtitle.

cajunator

Banned
That is pretty tragic.

(Also, 50ppp Default Theme vanillaGAF is the one true path)

All of the above is true.

He's really skinny. Like, anorexic.

Fake skirts.

I'm really skinny looking. not anorexic though, although people often wonder.
(I do not starve myself at all whatsoever)

Love Lab 1

High-quality hair animation and lots of funny.
I'm liking this.

Episode 2 takes a bit of a step back but episode 3 brings the goods again.

Theonik

What show is this?
It's the manga I just posted.
Joshi Shougakusei Hajimemashita, or A Game of Panties if you follow ManGAF codenames.

Arent those redundant terms? a loli is a young girl. so a loli elementary school girl would be a young elementary school girl.
But you can have a 9000 year old loli demonlord.
It is necessary.

Not just an elementary school girl but a loli elementary school girl!
See above!

cnet128

Banned
Arent those redundant terms? a loli is a young girl. so a loli elementary school girl would be a young elementary school girl.

"loli" carries connotations of being sexually-portrayed and attractive, so technically it's not entirely redundant.

...Either way, I think I may have to check this manga out.

Neo C.

There were a couple of cuts in Tamako that were extremely exaggerated about this. I don't generally mind it otherwise.

Also what did you think about episode 9?

Anko is cute. Overall neither this episode nor the whole anime is my favourite. Enjoyable, funny and cute, but others are better. Before TM I watched Girls und Panzer, and the latter is quite a pleasure.

cajunator

Banned
Anko is cute. Overall neither this episode nor the whole anime is my favourite. Enjoyable, funny and cute, but others are better. Before TM I watched Girls und Panzer, and the latter is quite a pleasure.

I liked that little part where Anko yells into the cup phone thing. Her facial expression was the best. Dunno why I remember that specific part lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I would say the most offensive... actually... second most offensive thing AO did was make
Truth out to be the bad guy the entire show. The entire cast was fighting desperately to defeat him only for him to turn into some pointless villain with no aspiration, motivation, etc but to be nothing and eventually he ended up being some stupid ally AI in the end. That was fucking stupid and made the previous episodes completely pointless.
POINTLESS

cajunator

Banned
I would say the most offensive... actually... second most offensive thing AO did was make
Truth out to be the bad guy the entire show. The entire cast was fighting desperately to defeat him only for him to turn into some pointless villain with no aspiration, motivation, etc but to be nothing and eventually he ended up being some stupid ally AI in the end. That was fucking stupid and made the previous episodes completely pointless.
POINTLESS

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom