• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Like I said, no post-production/editing. lol

Where's the AnimeGAF podcast? I have an idea for it. We should do a retronauts anime podcast. Only old anime! That way we don't need to be held down by whatever crud is showing during the season.

I've never listened to an anime podcast before, going to give it a listen at work :)

There are some very minor(?) Kaze Tachinu spoilers and depending on how anal you are, it might be upsetting to you :lol

cajunator

Banned
Where's the AnimeGAF podcast? I have an idea for it. We should do a retronauts anime podcast. Only old anime! That way we don't need to be held down by whatever crud is showing during the season.

There are some very minor(?) Kaze Tachinu spoilers and depending on how anal you are, it might be upsetting to you :lol

I think it was said before animeGaf is too lazy to make a podcast lol.
I would contribute but there would be random squeeing involved.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it's about time we had a serious discussion about K-On! and Endless Eight after all!

Hattori

Banned

Nah, I probably won't be able to watch for a while so it doesn't matter. I would contribute to an AnimeGAF podcast but I'm shy and a bit of a low-talker like tomoko :lol

Articalys

If I had the time, software, and understanding of what it actually means to properly edit a podcast for length, I would do it. Unfortunately I lack all three.

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1-2 - Overall, this was disappointing. I haven't played the games since I don't have a PS3, but I like the concept of videogame consoles turned into characters; it's a great idea. However, the show just isn't that great; it's creepy, disturbing at times, and nothing above average. If you want a good show about girls and fighting and stuff, watch Senran Kagura, not this junk. I'll keep watching it for now... but I expect I'll probably drop this, unless its quality starts improving, a lot, and the super-creepy elements stop.

The character designs are decently good though, apart from one thing. I find Neptune's color scheme odd, though, because the Genesis and/or 32X never had a purple colorscheme anywhere. Black makes sense (the systems were black after all), but... why purple? In the US and Japan the 32X's theme color was yellow. In Europe it was a blue and black design with some yellow highlights. The Genesis was black or red in the US and Europe, and blue (with a yellow information box) in Japan. No purple anywhere. I guess the idea was "feminine color for our heroine", but apart from Neptune and Nepgear, all of the other characters have color schemes that fit their consoles... but not Sega's, and they're the main characters (Neptune and her younger sister Nepgear). And on that note, yeah, Nepgear probably looks even less like a Game Gear than Neptune does a Sega Neptune, 32X, or Genesis (the Neptune being a 32X/Genesis hybrid system that was never released, of course).

I know, most people don't care about this one bit, but darnit, if you're trying to do videogame consoles as characters, and you've got some degree of accuracy in all of your other designs, including black for Sony (obviously), white for Nintendo (fitting for the post Wii/DS-era Nintendo of the show), and green for Microsoft... but Sega being purple is just stupid. Sure, it goes well with black, Neptune's other main color, but it's not a Sega theme color! It's annoying.

Oh yeah, and where's the Sega CD? Is that a character too?

Apart from that minor quibble, my actual main complaint about the show is about the incredibly creepy nature of some plot elements in both episodes so far. Both elements have some pseudo-rape elements to them. In the first episode, Neptune and Nepgear, along with two other minor characters (videogame company-based), get attacked by an army of slimes. They fight most of them off, but get overwhelmed, and before one of the minor characters kills all the slimes, there's some requisite "girls getting covered in slime" stuff. Then in episode two, a villain kidnaps Rom and Ram, aka the young twin girls who represent the Nintendo DS, and starts picking them up (clothed) and licking them with a long tongue, saying how young girls are the best, etc, etc. It's really, really messed up stuff. Any much more of THAT and I'm through with this series.

Even if I was to ignore that element of the show, though, which I can't, this still isn't anything that reaches average. The characters are bland and generic, the stories are average, the main character is your usual "kind of stupid but competent when it matters" lead type that I've never liked very much, etc etc. So yeah, this show is a disappointment. I'm only still watching because of the whole "videogame consoles as characters" thing, considering how much I love games.

cajunator

Banned
If I had the time, software, and understanding of what it actually means to properly edit a podcast for length, I would do it. Unfortunately I lack all three.

The problem I think we all have is we keep making excuses not to do one while other gaf groups just make one.

trejo

Sword Art Online- For a solid fourteen episodes this show is a perfectly fine, if stupid, male fantasy with Asuna as a good waifu.

Yeaaah... no. Maybe, and at most, I could give you the first ten or so episodes and that's if we're making plenty of concessions but anyone who considers that anything past
the introduction of Yui the moe adopted AI child and the whole fucking ending of the first arc
can be qualified as "perfectly fine" is very clearly not someone whose judgment can be trusted.

cajunator

Banned
Yeaaah... no. Maybe, and at most, I could give you the first ten or so episodes and that's if we're making plenty of concessions but anyone who considers that anything past
the introduction of Yui the moe adopted AI child and the whole fucking ending of the first arc
can be qualified as "perfectly fine" is very clearly not someone whose judgment can be trusted.

Thats harsh but youre kinda right. Its ok for about ten episodes then it goes to shit mostly.

Acosta

Could we not have another fight around SAO? Please? It is not worth of it.

I really appreciated the list Corvo, for someone like me that is pretty green about anime is great to have this kind of lists to check stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The real trick is whether or not you want to go for a decent quality show by taking wav files from every discrete track, level them all, and then merge them so that they are all in sync. Our guy just uses the direct Skype feed for the most part, because it's just easier. lol

Or at the very least,
lose their head once it's over.
All part of the animegaf cruise experience.

I should. Im terrible.
It's made for you!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji Episode 4: I think I would enjoy this show more if had studied the Sengoku Basara period of history. As it is right now, I struggle to stay interested in this program and four episodes in that is enough to end up on the drop list.

Acosta

I just watched Gifuu Doudou!!: Kanetsugu to Keiji 1

Mmmm, dunno, I liked the beginning
the part about all reach is zenith must decay was really inspiring
But it seems super cheap with loooong static scenes and frozen characters. Going to keep watching but I hope it improves a bit or I don't think I will have the patience.

CorvoSol

Well, fair enough. I'm being reaaaaally lenient when I say "perfectly fine." The show was stupid, but I gave that first half a pass on account of looking at it as "would I be okay with this if I was ten years younger?" and I think, if I were to be honest with myself, I'd have been fine with the first fourteen episode when I was fourteen.

But you're right,
Yui was pretty dumb and her mad hacking nonsense was pretty bad.
It's just that episode 14 really was where I put my foot down with the nonsense instead of 14.

And my judgment is probably somewhat clouded from seeing some other bad anime so I kinda just overlook some terrible stuff nowadays.

NEW THREAD.

I am here.

YAY!

Could we not have another fight around SAO? Please? It is not worth of it.

I really appreciated the list Corvo, for someone like me that is pretty green about anime is great to have this kind of lists to check stuff.

I don't really expect a fight. Trejo's view and my view are essentially the same, we just drew the lines on when things got awful at different points.

But yeah, I'm glad that my list was worth it to someone. Regarding the things I marked as bad, though, ask around and get second opinions on those, since what I hate and what others hate isn't perfectly aligned. Also remember that "So Bad it is Good" means "You should watch this."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I see people were making birthday wishes on the previous page so I'll join in.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AKARI!

Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 07

That's one aggressive teru teru bouzu. Beatiful festivaru.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 29

pOJCRjK.jpg
At the end of summer the cult of Majo Rika gains more followers.
Oh my god! Why? Why? Scary! Why oh why oh why... Oh my God! Scary! Nooo!
The best thing this episode was
the ghost
and Momo-chan reactions.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 30

This is the kind of thing that would make me go "Mom, I've been cursed and can't eat my veggies" back in the day...If i didn't like my veggies, the only one I trully hate are eggplants, they are the hells spawn.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 31

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! God listened to my prayers.
Too many things happening this episode.

Mo~tto Ojamajo Doremi - 32
My face for the rest of the season.

sonicmj1

Still need to watch things like Gunbuster, too.

Fixed. Why would you watch Diebuster first?

With each new junior wave, I keep hoping we find that one sucker hardworking dude who would be willing to edit an AnimeGaf podcast. Alas.

It's not that hard to do (Audacity is free!), but it's still too much responsibility for me to take on.

Also, if I keep dodging the Wall of Shame, I think that means I lose podcasting privileges.

trejo

Well, fair enough. I'm being reaaaaally lenient when I say "perfectly fine." The show was stupid, but I gave that first half a pass on account of looking at it as "would I be okay with this if I was ten years younger?" and I think, if I were to be honest with myself, I'd have been fine with the first fourteen episode when I was fourteen.

But you're right,
Yui was pretty dumb and her mad hacking nonsense was pretty bad.
It's just that episode 14 really was where I put my foot down with the nonsense instead of 14.

And my judgment is probably somewhat clouded from seeing some other bad anime so I kinda just overlook some terrible stuff nowadays.

No worries, bro. I suppose being exposed to AO would have a tendency to warp one's view on what can be considered acceptable or not.

And yeah, good work on that list. It's pretty damn good for the most part. :)

CorvoSol

Fixed. Why would you watch Diebuster first?

Because I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To watch them is my real test, to rant about them is my cause?

No worries, bro. I suppose being exposed to AO would have a tendency to warp one's view on what can be considered acceptable or not.

And yeah, good work on that list. It's pretty damn good for the most part. :)

I get to be wrong every once in awhile. Also I should get around to writing a "no fucks" version of what is wrong with Astral Ocean.

Deus é brasileiro Corvo, ele ouvi as minhas preces...

Mas se ele trabalha durante o almoco, eu tenho minhas duvidas.

The Devil is a Part Timer 12

Some good fights goin' down in this episode, and of course, some delicious Maou x Emi action. Best part of the episode was Maou striking that pose as he assured everyone of the durability of his briefs (which expanded to contain his new, muscly buttocks).

Question, though: Maou gets taller and more akin to the demonlord from the first episode when hopped up on magic. Does Emi also get taller when hopped up on magic, too?

sonicmj1

Because I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To watch them is my real test, to rant about them is my cause?

Diebuster was made as a followup to Gunbuster, and its ending takes much of its emotional significance from Gunbuster. You have to watch Gunbuster first.

Also, Gunbuster is a mecha classic and an absolute must-watch.

fertygo

Dude you gotta watch Gunbuster first before Die or you gonna miss the context of the ending (best ending ever) don't fooling around yo.
I REALLY can't agree there unless the rest of the show is dramatically different from anything else in the franchise. These first 3 episodes had very little to do with the rozen maidens, which is why a massive shift in focus is expected from this point on, a focus filled with nonsensical plot developments and annoying dolls.

The hell you talking?
The manga is the ORIGINAL, the anime following the manga.. but somehow its not like the Rozen Maiden?

Its just mean the old anime doing crappy job.

CorvoSol

Diebuster was made as a followup to Gunbuster, and its ending takes much of its emotional significance from Gunbuster. You have to watch Gunbuster first.

Also, Gunbuster is a mecha classic and an absolute must-watch.

I was just joking. I'll definitely watch it in order when I get around to watching it.

Corvosol made a mecha OT and he hasn't even seen Gunbuster? I feel cheated!

I'll get to it! I'm still working my way through Gundam.

Mega Man Sins 12

Mega Man meets a dude and
that dude dies.
This was a pretty good episode, dealing with the question of having hope in situations where hope seems least reasonable, as well as the argument that there is no point in having hope when times aren't tough. Zero's maverick mode nearly makes him do something horrible again, but he narrowly avoids it. We also learn a little bit about Sigma and what the world was like under his rule.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Heheh, the first thing I thought of when I had a Guan Yinping x Zhang Chunhua scene like this one play out was "Man, I bet SDBurton is loving this". :lol

I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't imagining things due to lack of sleep. :lol

But yeah, I am loooooving it!

CorvoSol

Been reading the TVTropes page on Eureka Seven and I'm loving the "fan nicknames" section.

Naru is NTRu. The Quartz Gun is the Retcannon, and Aodipus. All good laughs.

zeroshiki

It's not that hard to do (Audacity is free!), but it's still too much responsibility for me to take on.

Also, if I keep dodging the Wall of Shame, I think that means I lose podcasting privileges.

It won't be too much responsibility! Firehawk will take all the blame if anything messes up. It'll be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom