• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the perception of someone on the inside, but I don't think it's true at all. I have a bunch of friends who aren't watching anime season-to-season who would automatically switch anything to dub.

Also, good hustle Theonik.

I made a mistake with that post. It should've been the subbed anime on Netflix are the animes that were popular in the United States, and the dubbed anime on Netflix don't even compare in terms of popularity, but are still available dubbed.

Narag

I don't know, I like the idea of paying to see them put the best effort they can, especially when dubbed animes far outnumber subbed anime. Especially considering the subbed anime are very popular to boot in comparison to the rest.

In reality, sub/dub should both be available but what can you do!

I made a mistake with that post. It should've been the subbed anime on Netflix are the animes that were popular in the United States, and the dubbed anime on Netflix don't even compare in terms of popularity, but are still available dubbed.

Some of that stuff on there defaults to the sub track but can be switched to the english iirc. Posted about it one day.

Novid

Banned
Yep. Too late at night on top of having anime we've already seen before. Doesn't have me rushing to watch Toonami (not that I can).

We live in a different time. Years ago when we had an industry and real ad agency's they would practically beg for early times. Now that we have marketplaces instead of industry the ad agencies only work with 1 or 2 kids companies and focuses 10 percent of the budget on 15 or so series. They tend to be live action or comedy gesture animation - with the failure of the Thundercats - I don't expect the trend to turn anytime soon, unless Sony makes a major commitment to the TVIP line, which its in danger, because Les Moonves's war scout (Danny Loeb) wants sony to sell 10 percent of their entertainment holdings.

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 23

Oh goddamn this episode. Too much for me to talk about without wasting valuable time.

All I'll say is that I don't quite understand
what future Okabe is taking about with "tricking the world" and whatnot
but whatever I probably will.

In reality, sub/dub should both be available but what can you do!

Some of that stuff on there defaults to the sub track but can be switched to the english iirc. Posted about it one day.

I think I tried a while back, but it did no good. Then again, I haven't used Netflix in a while.

Any title in particular that comes to mind?

I think I tried Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha to see what happened, but it was still subbed. Anything that wasn't Viz was on dub by default.

Still surprised that Cure Ace video is getting noticed to this time.

Narag

I think I tried Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha to see what happened, but it was still subbed. Anything that wasn't Viz was on dub by default.

That should have been 2011sh then. One year deal with a bunch of SD subbed stuff that's long since disappeared from the service.

Metrotab

Banned
Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu - 3

What the hell at that kid. A teenager but already master of his own beach residence? With assassins to boot? Sounds like a villain in the making.

Dat golden KyoAni sunset.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My dad just got me a really cute Sailor Venus figurine from his trip to Mexico. And to think they banned Pokémon from me because a tv show said it was satanic.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 21

I like how Okabe has realized how Mayuri's feeling throughout this whole thing, that she feels like he's beginning to drift away from her. It was good to see him put on the whole mad scientist act (which he officially recognizes as an act, as shown by that scene on the rooftop with Kurisu) on that last day for Mayuri, in those last few hours and minutes before her death.

Scene with Mayuri at her grandmother's grave was something else. She shows first that she also has memories from other lines, in the form of dreams, or in what feels like dreams. She remembers each and every time she has been killed. And she blames herself. She blames herself for the deaths in her dreams, as well as for all the visible suffering she can see Okabe experiencing. Cheerful as she is, she's going through a lot of pain herself. She's genuinely worried about Okabe, and worse, she thinks she's the problem.

Still no plan for how they're going to handle Kurisu though.

Okarin had to do some pretty quick growing up.
Nearing the end now :D

iGZHQoZn8rAR5.gif

Seriously man.

Novid

Banned
My dad just got me a really cute Sailor Venus figurine from his trip to Mexico. And to think they banned Pokémon from me because a tv show said it was satanic.

Mexico and Brazil were the two hot beds for Both Sailor Moon and Knights of the Zodiac in the latin zone. Pokémon was big in Chile because it was the first anime to air in the country. In a ironic twist there is a subculture in Chile called Pokemones (Think Goth mixed with a bit of de Mayo stuff) that was somewhat big at the time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico and Brazil were the two hot beds for Both Sailor Moon and Knights of the Zodiac in the latin zone. Pokémon was big in Chile because it was the first anime to air in the country. In a ironic twist there is a subculture in Chile called Pokemones (Think Goth mixed with a bit of de Mayo stuff) that was somewhat big at the time.
They actually sold the first dubbed season of Sailor Moon in Mexico inside a really cool metallic box back in the day. I would have bought it if I had money.
Your dad has good taste.
He was about to buy me some Son Goku figurines on the other shelf until he called me on Skype to verify. Bullet dodged.

Still surprised that Cure Ace video is getting noticed to this time.

It's so good, I've been linking it to people who don't even know wtf Precure is.

I have to explain a little of the context, but it's not hard to find hilarious!

Novid

Banned
They actually sold the first dubbed season of Sailor Moon in Mexico inside a really cool metallic box back in the day. I would have bought it if I had money.

I seen that box. Sadly Nafta never really worked the way it should have.

More sad notes though, North Africa was also another Sailor Moon strong zone. Which makes all the tragedies going on there come to light.

My parents don't even care that the things I enjoy are Satany, people here who couldn't watch Pokemon or anything with a mini skirt is both hilarious and a bit heart breaking.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 22

I understand how that relationship between Okabe and Kurisu came to be and all, but I didn't like how he called Kurisu "the most important person in the world" to him. After saying something like that, it kinda seems off for him to save Mayuri instead of her. I guess it's cause he already saw her die so many times that having her die for good would break him, as opposed to Kurisu just being dead by the time he came back. Still, I wish they avoided that. And then having her show up just as he was deleting the final d-mail was dumb.

Damn though, thought I was gonna cry when Mayuri said "Mayushii's okay now. So now you can cry for yourself Okarin". Damn. The way they were going, I thought they were ending the series for a sec (yes, I knew there were 3 more)...and then Okabe got a phone call.

The future seems fucked.

Show got a lot more serious and depressing than you thought It would huh?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Dude when I was a small child I played Pokemon IN CHURCH. Thug life.

Me and my younger brother would always want to rush from there to the card shop for the weekly sunday Magic: The Gathering tourney and my folk were just fine with that.

Me playing M-rated games though? "Noooooo....your sibling are too young. We don't want you playing/having them with them around." SMFH all during my childhood. The few T-rated ones I had were Star Wars games and that was only because they know I like Star Wars a lot.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu - 3

What the hell at that kid. A teenager but already master of his own beach residence? With assassins to boot? Sounds like a villain in the making.

Dat golden KyoAni sunset.

Funny how terrifying Sousuke sounds when described by Kaname, though.

Metrotab

Banned
Funny how terrifying Sousuke sounds when described by Kaname, though.

Sousuke's overt description of Kaname was a great extension of the joke.

Majestic Prince - 17

I think this is the fourth time they've used the exact same scenes to show deployment. It's a full minute of repetition.

Also, that was the slowest speed of light ever.

cajunator

Banned
We live in a different time. Years ago when we had an industry and real ad agency's they would practically beg for early times. Now that we have marketplaces instead of industry the ad agencies only work with 1 or 2 kids companies and focuses 10 percent of the budget on 15 or so series. They tend to be live action or comedy gesture animation - with the failure of the Thundercats - I don't expect the trend to turn anytime soon, unless Sony makes a major commitment to the TVIP line, which its in danger, because Les Moonves's war scout (Danny Loeb) wants sony to sell 10 percent of their entertainment holdings.

I missed you so much when you left.

He was about to buy me some Son Goku figurines on the other shelf until he called me on Skype to verify. Bullet dodged.

This sounds pretty awesome. Can you find a picture of that set so I can be jelly?

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 25-End

Nice little side story. What I will say is that if you're gonna have Americans speaking English in.America, get somebody who speaks a fluent dialect. Otherwise you just look ignant.

Good to see Hououin Kyouma back.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 25-End

Nice little side story. What I will say is that if you're gonna have Americans speaking English in.America, get somebody who speaks a fluent dialect. Otherwise you just look ignant.

Good to see Hououin Kyouma back.

the omake was pretty clever. Great little addition.

soooo what do you think overall?

Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge (end) (movie)
tumblr_mqtw94tvGO1rqttxno2_250.gif
tumblr_mqtw94tvGO1rqttxno3_250.gif
tumblr_mqtw94tvGO1rqttxno5_250.gif

Was a bit disappointed in the movie in a lot of points. Thought we would get lots of nice visuals for the fights but they ALL turned out to be less stylish and intense as in the tv anime, like nothing could rival the style of the stuff brought about in Heavens Arena or even Kurapika's
Uvo fight
. No stylish overlay of attacks names or etc here was just a bit saddening.

I thought the plot could have been a bit better, just felt weak overall though did give Killua excellent development and nice scenes (though the stuff he's going through is honestly what seems to be covered in Chimera Ants arc...). Just seeing all his emotions was way intense for me
and Gon there constantly bringing him back even in the middle of the fight when he wanted to flee and sacrificing his eyes to let Killua escape.
. Worst part was honestly
bringing back the other characters but making them puppets and then having as their lead someone thats just really dull and not really powerful. Illumi (doll) felt much more menacing as an antagonist than he did

Music was also on the disappointing side, it didnt seem as if many tracks were even introduced just the same ole from the tv. (though maybe there were two but they didnt kick in until the last 20 minutes).

Phantom Rouge (3/5) was alright though at the end of the day just didnt offer much of anything beyond what the tv anime is offering. Cant help but wonder why it was made
they even spent a lot of time animated that two chapter Kurapika thing
. Hopefully movie 2 brings something new to the table.

Tamayura ~hitotose~ - 5.5

Finally got aroud to watching it.
Can Norie just fuck Kou already, Norie fawing over Kou is the only annoying thing in this anime.
The revelation of Potte father's
photos being just blurry photos of fireworks like hers, was really nice.
I'm ready to be more agressive.

Majestic Prince - 17

Don't make a suspense ending if the title of the episode has first part in it.

KKK - 03 04

This was too meta. When that shower scene happened I was thinking "lol, fanservice" just for them to point it at a later skit.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n - 06

Is this an anarchist episode on my kids anime? Fuck da Rules.
I fear for the future of the witch world.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n - 07

Being Aiko is suffering...I don't know if this thing gonna work.
Best magic cast animations(
except for Hana-chan
) and Magical stage in the series. Magical stage! Magical stage!
Baka
!

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n - 08

Nin Nin.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n - 09

This season NTR episode.

==============================

Knights of the Zodiac around here is like you guys talk about Comboy Bebop there, you had to see the smile on this guy face who lived in the slums(but he had a nice house) showing me his Knights of the Zodiac DVD collection, it was his pride to have the original collection.
Pokémon was huge too(Games, cards, toys, tv ratings), I got paid by a friend to train the pokémons he would use on the official Pokémon League, with gyms and Elite four and all. Today it's still like this, and I'm going back to college and I'll be playing X and Y there.

Yami Hat, Dimensions, and InCoherent 10

So we're back with Gargantua and his obsession with Jill.. again and dimensional doors with cock grabbing fox girls happen but wait what
That princess is back in the same dimension!? I thought she fucking killed herself

How are they gon---- WHAT THE FUCK WE'RE IN SPACE!? WHHHHHY! Space space space!

Well they seem to be colonies, and they AIs,, and Lilith wants to get into Hazuki's pants still, so lets go see this little girl's... wait what

Whaaaaaat WHAAAAAAAT
She's fucking dead, THEY HAVE DEAD FUCKING PARENTS AND THE AI RECREATES THEIR VOICE, WHAT THE FUCK!?

I'm not comprehending this very well, not at all.

Alucrid

Banned
Silver Spoon, Love Lab, Servant x Service.

This sounds incredibly depressing.

Uchoten Kazoku/The Eccentric Family

There is indeed, and by happy chance it is also the best show of the season, Uchoten Kazoku a.k.a. Eccentric Family.

yeah Free and Love Lab are fun as well but Uchoten Kazoku blows everything else away so if you only can watch one show make it that.

highly recommended for anyone and everyone: Uchoten Kazoku

pleasant, funny stuff if you don't mind all the sexy men: Free!

pleasant, funny stuff if you don't mind cute girls doing cute things : Love Lab

The Eccentric Family is excellent, though if you are looking for something focused mostly on comedy, there's Kiniro Mosaic and Love Lab.

Thread moves fast, but thank you. Eccentric Family is on Crunchyroll so that's a definite, watched one episode and it was great. Plus I like Tanukis. Don't mind sexy men or cute things so I'll check out Free and Love Lab as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom