• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Silver Spoon 4

Very simple episode that was executed pretty well. It was great that whole school got together
just to make pizza
and we see more of Hachiken stepping up.

Jex

Pashifikku Rimu

That was extremely anime. Not at all deep, but it delivered what it promised. Maybe the sequel will have a fight that actually takes place in the light. Also, I don't understand why
anyone would think abandoning the Jaeger program was a good idea.

Inefficient future UN is inefficient!

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 20

I feel kinda dumb being thrown off by the whole "FB is a woman because she talks in a maternal manner and such" thing. Feel like I should have seen right through it. Still not really surprised to learn that Mr. Braun was FB. Have to figure they knew everything, given that the walls were thin and they could hear everything. One question I have is, how does Suzu fit into this? If she knew that they were going to storm the lab that night, it's a bit hard to believe that she didn't know that the man she was working for was the boss of them.

Okabe, as well as myself, received a reality punch in the face at the end. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about that. So going back to the original line where Mayuri doesn't die would mean going to the original line, where Kurisu does. He's made dear friends with her, buy will he be willing to go to the same lengths for her that he went to for Mayuri? Will he find a different line altogether?

Tenumi

Banned
its worse than that...you would think for all our "protect" the children mantra and "teach" the children mantra...that when suddenly, a 5 year kid gets in the same business everybody and their advertising momma aims for - he and his peers cant even watch the show...

There forced to watched (non PBSkids/Nick Jr/Disney Jr) governmental propaganda, in the form of the E/I edict, and being "Vortexx Approved".

I'll never understand you Novid. Hugs?

Also, "forced"?

Appropriately announced on what is apparently Yaoi Day, a complete BD box set for both seasons of Sekaiichi Hatsukoi.

Almost was hyped, but then realized that it is a jpn only set, thanks. Hopefully rightstuff gets it on BD! Need my favorite scenes in hd
tumblr_m6lh73UqLA1rxcq4to1_500.gif

Articalys

I've always thought that new release news was understood to be for Japan by default unless noted otherwise, but I can start being more specific if that's an issue.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 20

I feel kinda dumb being thrown off by the whole "FB is a woman because she talks in a maternal manner and such" thing. Feel like I should have seen right through it. Still not really surprised to learn that Mr. Braun was FB. Have to figure they knew everything, given that the walls were thin and they could hear everything. One question I have is, how does Suzu fit into this? If she knew that they were going to storm the lab that night, it's a bit hard to believe that she didn't know that the man she was working for was the boss of them.

Okabe, as well as myself, received a reality punch in the face at the end. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about that. So going back to the original line where Mayuri doesn't die would mean going to the original line, where Kurisu does. He's made dear friends with her, buy will he be willing to go to the same lengths for her that he went to for Mayuri? Will he find a different line altogether?

Threw me off too. Didnt expect that. Also yeah this episode hit me pretty hard with that realization. I was like OH SHIT.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 12

Urara finally gets to do some REAL IDOLLING when her manager finds her a job presenting a children's stage show at the local theme park. Except it really isn't her day - first the show almost gets cancelled because the performer playing the main role couldn't make it (Nozomi fills in with...questionable success), and then mantis-man gatecrashes the show, turning it into an impromptu Precure Battle Performance. Which of course the audience loves, but isn't great for Urara because nobody would ever suspect that her and Cure Lemonade are the same person. All-powerful perception filter is all-powerful.

Oh, and luls @ Nuts' Bishie Distraction Potential becoming the standard solution for any time reporter-girl gets a scoop on the Cures. It's effective, that's for sure!

Go_Ly_Dow

Woman/Wolf Children Live Action -2

Beautiful show is beautiful.

I hope Mr. White Knight comes back and saves the day ;_;

Can't take much more emotional abuse

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 - 13

Rin focus episode! And that means...sports episode! Apparently Rin has been doing ALL THE SPORTS without joining any one specific club. And of course she's the star player in all of them. Does this make her even more epic than Nagisa in terms of sporting skill? I didn't see a lacrosse club in there though, so she's still missing out on the one that matters.

But this year the sports tournaments are all clashing with each other, so she has to pick just one over the others. OH NOES. Thankfully the episode wastes no time making it clear that the one she feels a real attachment to is the Futsal club - a small up-and-coming club for a minor sport that doesn't even have the five members required to achieve full club status yet (a problem that will be conveniently solved if Rin joins for reals). Rin's still reluctant to join any club, because she feels her duty to help out at home and look after her little brother and sister should take priority over such things, but when the siblings in question declare their support for her joining a club as well, she can't really back out. The Futsal Club it is!

Also there was a battle against toad-boy in this episode, complete with a second Pinky Kowaina. Those got taken out without too much trouble.

Tenumi

Banned
Let's Play! Suite Precure: 32

Look's like it's starting to be time for me to be heavily using spoilers.
Cure Muse is forced to wear that mask/disguise for some reason, but she'll soon be able to remove it. Huh. Muse reveal soon, then?

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 21

I like how Okabe has realized how Mayuri's feeling throughout this whole thing, that she feels like he's beginning to drift away from her. It was good to see him put on the whole mad scientist act (which he officially recognizes as an act, as shown by that scene on the rooftop with Kurisu) on that last day for Mayuri, in those last few hours and minutes before her death.

Scene with Mayuri at her grandmother's grave was something else. She shows first that she also has memories from other lines, in the form of dreams, or in what feels like dreams. She remembers each and every time she has been killed. And she blames herself. She blames herself for the deaths in her dreams, as well as for all the visible suffering she can see Okabe experiencing. Cheerful as she is, she's going through a lot of pain herself. She's genuinely worried about Okabe, and worse, she thinks she's the problem.

Still no plan for how they're going to handle Kurisu though.

CorvoSol

lol what?

Vol.2 had the amazing training bit and Bill being Bill. The trailer fight was also pretty awesome.

Yeah Bill was good, that's not what I'm complaining about. Really I'd have had no problem with the movie were it not for the fact that
there's no fucking final battle. She pokes Bill in the gut and he dies. The end.
The first movie had a rad knife fight, over the top battle in Japan, and then a Samurai Show-down. The second movie has no fights.
Bud doesn't even get killed by the bride, the Elle fight was okay, I guess, but woefully short, and again, after two movies worth of build up about these damn Hattori Hanso swords, she just pokes Bill and he dies.
Hell, I'd have been fine with her using that move, if
it had come after some kind of fight. Instead it comes after Bill waxes philosophical about Super Man.

Second movie was a huge let down and a waste of my time.

Its really fun and it doesnt butcher something you love!

I'd say the lack of butchering is precisely the problem I had with that movie.

Eureka Seven Coralian Dreams

BONES should never ever touch E7 again. Just ever.

I worked out the last episode I watched was 11. Still I may consider getting that Nendo because it is hilarious, especially the SD version.

Just imagine if the show featured that version. Pops up out of nowhere and goes "Ehhhh waka waka waka" before kicking the wall in.

The little thing is pretty funny, and the set it comes with is pretty cool.

Basically the more I saw of liberation maiden, the more I thought: "Hey! Those are like the flying sections in KIU! I could have just as much fun playing that instead."

Also, believe it or not, it also caters to mecha fans at one point in the game. But I'm not spoiling anything.

Anyone who hasn't played that game yet should do so ASAP.

It's 20 bucks on Amazon. I might consider it. Still, for now ACNL is dominating my 3DS.

What the hell.. I'm reading Corvo hating Kill Bill v2 in back page.. smh

v2 > v1
so many ace scene.

You're gonna have to name these ace scenes out, 'cuz I didn't see like, anything in that entire movie that I'd call ace. First movie, sure, second? Not a one.

Let's Play! Suite Precure: 32

Look's like it's starting to be time for me to be heavily using spoilers.
Cure Muse is forced to wear that mask/disguise for some reason, but she'll soon be able to remove it. Huh. Muse reveal soon, then?

In 3 episodes. Start plowing now, because this subplot is wrapping up completely on 36. Also watch the movie once you're done 36 since it's slotted inbetween that and 37.

It's going to get very stupid by the way. The point
Where it ultimately trainwrecks.

Tenumi

Banned
In 3 episodes. Start plowing now, because this subplot is wrapping up completely on 36. Also watch the movie once you're done 36 since it's slotted inbetween that and 37.

It's going to get very stupid by the way. The point
Where it ultimately trainwrecks.

Not tonight, but definitely tommorow/the weekend. I'm not saying I will, but there is a small chance I might finish it on Sunday. Also, I don't have the movie, so I'd have to find that.

jbug617

Banned
I still haven't helped kickstart Trigger. Does that make me a bad person?

I cancelled my pledge today. My reason why was I got hyped when the Kickstarter was revealed but thinking about it today, I could use the money on another anime coming out.

fertygo

Yeah Bill was good, that's not what I'm complaining about. Really I'd have had no problem with the movie were it not for the fact that
there's no fucking final battle. She pokes Bill in the gut and he dies. The end.
The first movie had a rad knife fight, over the top battle in Japan, and then a Samurai Show-down. The second movie has no fights.
Bud doesn't even get killed by the bride, the Elle fight was okay, I guess, but woefully short, and again, after two movies worth of build up about these damn Hattori Hanso swords, she just pokes Bill and he dies.
Hell, I'd have been fine with her using that move, if
it had come after some kind of fight. Instead it comes after Bill waxes philosophical about Super Man.

Second movie was a huge let down and a waste of my time.

You're gonna have to name these ace scenes out, 'cuz I didn't see like, anything in that entire movie that I'd call ace. First movie, sure, second? Not a one.
I'd say you have wrong expectation to watch Tarantino's movie for action anyway. Its still have it and not dragging like in v1. I used to think v1 was better because "action" but after repeat viewing I appreciate v2 much better, the action in v1 just a throwback to 70's bruce lee movie complete with bad camera angle and stunt anyway, maybe its even intentionally so. The trailer fight in v2 are much better in that sense..

Ace scene in v2?
When The Bride escape from burial
The trailer fight and dynamic before it
the training arc
the kid "I got you" moment

And yeah the final phase are amazing, also dat superman analogy.. so what if its don't have fight? the moment when they trading final blow and after it is perfection.. its give me chill, so damn good.

The main appeal of KB for me is Tarantino's take of the cliche trope in kung-fu movie and make it a lot bigger with his screenplay. And he deliver. Btw is this your first experience with Tarantino's movie?

jgminto

When two worlds collide...
If you want Evangelion shirts with the word ROCK on them, look no further, the new brand rockin'star★ (by Rockin' On) got your back.

They also have Beck, Snoopy, Saint Young Men shirts, all related to rock : http://rockinstar.jp/pro/

Also cool to see that they're using Japanese rock artists such as The Bawdies, Negoto, 9mm Parabellum Bullet... as models

I'd wear a Beck shirt

Rozen Maiden 5

PpuqemE.jpg

When Dolls Collide

A gently amusing first half, as Jun learns how petulant the Rozen Maidens can be. Shinku and Suigintou have good chemistry with each other, despite or perhaps because they are always at each other's throats. Also, Saito continues reaching out to Jun, much to the displeasure of the manager. (His sidle when he walked in on them talking was hilarious.)

The second half shifted gears into a very well done Suigintou backstory. Moody lighting brought out the horror undertones. The editing, animation, and layouts really drove home the explosion of energy at the climax.

In general, the series continues to show the kind of consistency you get when one guy is storyboarding everything. Creative, intelligent flourishes continue, and the prevalent use of closeups brings us into the characters' heads without overdoing it, as Yamauchi sometimes does. The last shot
with the light turning off
is so simple, yet so effective at creating dread and foreboding.

Branduil

I haven't contributed yet, because I was waiting to see if LWA would reach its stretch goal, but I'll probably go for the limited edition tier now to get all those extras.

CorvoSol

I'd say you have wrong expectation to watch Tarantino's movie for action anyway. Its still have it and not dragging like in v1. I used to think v1 was better because "action" but after repeat viewing I appreciate v2 much better, the action in v1 just a throwback to 70's bruce lee movie complete with bad camera angle and stunt anyway, maybe its even intentionally so. The trailer fight in v2 are much better in that sense..

Ace scene in v2?
When The Bride escape from burial
The trailer fight and dynamic before it
the training arc
the kid "I got you" moment

And yeah the final phase are amazing, also dat superman analogy.. so what if its don't have fight? the moment when they trading final blow and after it is perfection.. its give me chill, so damn good.

The main appeal of KB for me is Tarantino's take of the cliche trope in kung-fu movie and make it a lot bigger with his screenplay. And he deliver. Btw is this your first experience with Tarantino's movie?

Well I mean, the entire movie series is named Kill Bill. I guess I was just expecting something more climactic than that when she got around to it. Especially after all the fights in the first movie. The only fight in the second was a drunken stumble through trailer walls.

Novid

Banned
remember that cgi with the wolf and the sheep girl, and all that kugiloli "goodness"?

well...hulu has it - but its not dubbed. BOOO.

But where is that PBS kids MONEY.
Why hasn't it been dubbed, and why isn't in airing on PBS Kids?

FIRE THESE FACIST PIGS!

Syrinx

Steins;Gate 22

I understand how that relationship between Okabe and Kurisu came to be and all, but I didn't like how he called Kurisu "the most important person in the world" to him. After saying something like that, it kinda seems off for him to save Mayuri instead of her. I guess it's cause he already saw her die so many times that having her die for good would break him, as opposed to Kurisu just being dead by the time he came back. Still, I wish they avoided that. And then having her show up just as he was deleting the final d-mail was dumb.

Damn though, thought I was gonna cry when Mayuri said "Mayushii's okay now. So now you can cry for yourself Okarin". Damn. The way they were going, I thought they were ending the series for a sec (yes, I knew there were 3 more)...and then Okabe got a phone call.

The future seems fucked.

fertygo

Well I mean, the entire movie series is named Kill Bill. I guess I was just expecting something more climactic than that when she got around to it. Especially after all the fights in the first movie. The only fight in the second was a drunken stumble through trailer walls.
The children reveal already
kill a lot of that tension..
The Bride lost big part of her motive and you can see Bill just waiting for that very moment.

so its make sense the final "fight" settled in rather cold atmosphere.. I really like because its "different" and memorable that way.. I think the title even give strong ironic feeling after that.

remember that cgi with the wolf and the sheep girl, and all that kugiloli "goodness"?

well...hulu has it - but its not dubbed. BOOO.

But where is that PBS kids MONEY.
Why hasn't it been dubbed, and why isn't in airing on PBS Kids?

FIRE THESE FACIST PIGS!

Kugimiya is better than any butt-ass voice actor they'd have.

Novid

Banned
Yes, but Netflix is lying about who is watching there stuff outside of the Ps3 numbers. Netflix and Amazon are getting killed in the margins even though there stock is doing gangbusters.

the more subbed shit on netflix the better

still mad i missed Inu-Yasha!!!

I don't know, I like the idea of paying to see them put the best effort they can, especially when dubbed animes far outnumber subbed anime. Especially considering the subbed anime are very popular to boot in comparison to the rest.

Novid

Banned
I don't know, I like the idea of paying to see them put the best effort they can, especially when dubbed animes far outnumber subbed anime. Especially considering the subbed anime are very popular to boot in comparison to the rest.

Toonami's ratings say otherwise but granted its like comparing apples to oranges to pears.

Mature

Especially considering the subbed anime are very popular to boot in comparison to the rest.
This is the perception of someone on the inside, but I don't think it's true at all. I have a bunch of friends who aren't watching anime season-to-season who would automatically switch anything to dub.

Also, good hustle Theonik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom