• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Hunter x Hunter 2011 - 91
Shit just got real yo

I'm not sure SAO is "cheap" though..

It must be, considering they saved a shitton of money by

1)using shit CG dragons instead of you know, actually paying a human to draw them. That Shit CG Maker has got to be the most used robot in Japan.

2)not actually showing some fights, but having Kirito defeat things entirely off screen.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that money went to whatever reprehensible piece of filth had to lovingly draw
the hand crafted water beads running down twelve year old Shituga's cleavage.

trejo

Soul Eater is 3/5 good until they deviate from the manga. The fight sequences are

so_good.gif

I remember dropping it sometime after
the release of ball sack guy
because the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere. In my opinion Soul Eater is a show best enjoyed in youtube sakuga compilation format.

Not in toonamigaf. People are loving it!

Didn't Toonamigaf also enjoy Deadman Wonderland? I rest my case!

fertygo

It must be, considering they saved a shitton of money by

1)using shit CG dragons instead of you know, actually paying a human to draw them. That Shit CG Maker has got to be the most used robot in Japan.

2)not actually showing some fights, but having Kirito defeat things entirely off screen.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that money went to whatever reprehensible piece of filth had to lovingly draw
the hand crafted water beads running down twelve year old Shituga's cleavage.

No, I mean to license.. sorry to say, its the hottest thing that came out from japan.. so..
And aniplex charging the blu for 500 bucks for complete package.

And production value isn't that bad, pretty high for latter half of the show even.. they not abusing still shot again and background look nice.
I remember dropping it sometime after
the release of ball sack guy
because the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere. In my opinion Soul Eater is a show best enjoyed in youtube sakuga compilation format.
Its a very standard battle shounen show, I enjoy for what it is.

Dresden

I'm not sure SAO is "cheap" though..

It's nearly a million viewers on TV, that's the kind of advertising you don't get often here. They probably got a good deal.

---

attack on titan - 17

This is good. One day we'll have a list of watchable episodes and I just hope that list is more than a single digit long.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam 9

Still unsure where I stand on this show. On the one hand, when its good, its good, but when it isn't, it kinda meanders. Then again, I've got like, 40 episodes for things to pick up, so I guess I just need to hope that things improve soon.

Anyway, sweet, but brief, robot fight going down here between the Turn A and Corin's like, raptor themed unit. Also what's that about? Like, the Lunarian MSes are almost all reptilian/avian in basic shape, as opposed to the series standard of human MSes.

Loran is straight up lying to himself about the fact that Diana is avoiding a war here (I mean hello, when you're participating in the conflict yourself, kid, I have to ask how you don't see that war's already broken out.) Meanwhile, a new layer of ambiguity to the Laura thing is added. Does Harry know Laura is Loran or not?

Also Corin had a Mars symbol directly on top of his penis.

Teaser image has girls dressed up as Sailor Senshis. Is Toei producing their first JAV? Or is it akin to PGSM? Who knows.

Oh man itshappening.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
We enjoyed Deadman Wonderland mainly because it was so over the top, so far we do not like the SAO, well, most of us, AssaultMaster has to go and be weird.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 172
So many tears. Gratuitous
Chibiusa X Hotaru
action too. I'm happy.

This episode validates the rest of this arc if only for
Nehelenia's backstory, which was barely touched upon
at the end of SuperS. Otherwise there was no reason to have this here instead of there, at least from a narrative standpoint. All in all, I'm glad this is over.

Time for SuperS movie, then more androgyny.

Crocodile

For what its worth, Toonami said they got SAO on the cheap and were made aware of the show due to a high number of requests online. I know GAF hates the show (I've only seen the 1st episode and thought it was kind of stupid and apparently these are the "good" episodes) but the show clearly has its fans somewhere in the recesses of the internet.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Message from Naoko Takeuchi, something about the history of the franchise, blah blah blah. I imagine the anime announcement will be after all this bullcrap.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, from what Toonami has told us, Sword Art Online has been the most requested show ever asked by the fans of the revived block, Aniplex USA wanted the show to be on Toonami and Toonami was interested in having the program on the block. Basically a lot of people wanted this to happen, unlike say Clone Wars.

CorvoSol

Dai-Guard 2

I love the OP of this show more than I have any reason to. I think its just that the song itself isn't just plain ol' J-Pop for a change. Got more of a rock feel and I'm just loving it. Other notable things I love about this show already: The Dai-Guard is basically a real robot that is dressed up as a Super Robot. Or rather, the show explores the real world implications of what a Super Robot and the backing company would be like. The drill arm is a nightmare to aim, and it takes the entire battle to fill out the paper work necessary to actually launch the Dai-Guard, never mind the bickering about which department is going to finance this and how fired Akagi is by the end of all this.

Speaking of, Akagi is your average hot-blooded Mechatagonist, which in this world means he's also something of a loser (who happens to look slick in a suit!) and love interest Ubuki is the loud-mouthed red head while Aoyama is the cool, slightly older guy. Note that this also applies to Megas except that Jaime, filling Aoyama's role, is a bigger loser than Coop, and Kiva, filling Ubuki's, is less loud-mouthed than justly sarcastic.

fertygo

Dai-Guard 2

I love the OP of this show more than I have any reason to. I think its just that the song itself isn't just plain ol' J-Pop for a change. Got more of a rock feel and I'm just loving it. Other notable things I love about this show already: The Dai-Guard is basically a real robot that is dressed up as a Super Robot. Or rather, the show explores the real world implications of what a Super Robot and the backing company would be like. The drill arm is a nightmare to aim, and it takes the entire battle to fill out the paper work necessary to actually launch the Dai-Guard, never mind the bickering about which department is going to finance this and how fired Akagi is by the end of all this.

Speaking of, Akagi is your average hot-blooded Mechatagonist, which in this world means he's also something of a loser (who happens to look slick in a suit!) and love interest Ubuki is the loud-mouthed red head while Aoyama is the cool, slightly older guy. Note that this also applies to Megas except that Jaime, filling Aoyama's role, is a bigger loser than Coop, and Kiva, filling Ubuki's, is less loud-mouthed than justly sarcastic.
I know you gonna love the show.. maybe you gonna hate Ibuki but that its.

Mature

For what its worth, Toonami said they got SAO on the cheap and were made aware of the show due to a high number of requests online. I know GAF hates the show (I've only seen the 1st episode and thought it was kind of stupid and apparently these are the "good" episodes) but the show clearly has its fans somewhere in the recesses of the internet.
In the recesses of the internet? I go just about anywhere but here and I see heaps of praise for it.

BluWacky

In the recesses of the internet? I go just about anywhere but here and I see heaps of praise for it.

Indeed. It's not as if SAO isn't popular - it is, and enormously so. There's nothing weird about Toonami picking up what has been one of the smash hit anime of the past few years, particularly one that is so target demographic friendly.

Super Robot Wars OG 3-17

Just started watching this series yesterday. It's a bit goofy, but it's not a bad mecha fix while waiting for a new Majestic Prince episode, or Valvrave to come back in the fall. The mech designs don't really seem to be one of the strengths of the series, though. They seem to run the gamut from average to ridiculous, but there aren't many (or well, any) that are truly memorable or iconic. But it's entertaining for what it is.

That said, after watching so much within the last day, I see robots when I close my eyes.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm somewhat mixed on the whole Tsubasa Tiger arc. The pacing was fucking godawful and needed to be trimmed like a motherfucker. There is also some lazy animation bits along with the soundtrack really being middling. That said, the underlying themes of the arc are actually quite fascinating. I might be taking it too far but it's a rejection of the pure waifu thing going around in otaku circles. Tsubasa is afraid of letting her emotions taint her because she then wouldn't be viewed as pure in the eyes of Araragi but this whole arc is about her coming to terms with that and realizing that a person not only shouldn't but can't live that way. Emotions bottle up and they will vent one way or another. I think there is also something to be said about noting the difference between attraction and love. Loving someone means accepting their whole self even if it doesn't match your preconceived notions of who they should be. A large part of this arc is that Tsubasa didn't have someone like that and so created her persona around being attractive in this shallow sort of way. This was a really great arc with some solid character development and analysis.

Problem is that it took 5 episodes to get here when 3 could have just as easily got the point across. Still, this conclusion was probably the 2nd best or the best episode in the franchise.

BluWacky

Aaaargh

"This winter, on Nico Nico Douga..."

The Sailor Moon stream logs me out, PREMIUM USERS ONLY.

I hope it was a good announcement :(

Jex

Monogatari S2 5

Truly and honestly?

That was probably the best episode in the entire franchise so far. Yes, even better than Bake 12. I didn't think that was possible. And with Hanekawa of all people.

Why are you so shocked? She's like the second best girl in the series!
We need more insightful analysis in this thread.

Jexhius? Would you do us the honor?

I can tell you all about the importance of proper pillow cases.

fertygo

I'm somewhat mixed on the whole Tsubasa Tiger arc. The pacing was fucking godawful and needed to be trimmed like a motherfucker.

Problem is that it took 5 episodes to get here when 3 could have just as easily got the point across. Still, this conclusion was probably the 2nd best or the best episode in the franchise.
Hell no, cutting a lot thing didn't make nise seem "fast" its just make it felt weird.

Oh man I need to watch this episode fast.

Jarmel

Banned
Hell no, cutting a lot thing didn't make nise seem "fast" its just make it felt weird.

Oh man I need to watch this episode fast.

Problem is that some of the episodes in the middle are just full of fluff and seem to belabor a point already made. Episode 3 in particular is just grinding its wheels.

Jex

monogatari 2 - 5 - in which the cat moves on & gets her groove back

[...]

I liked the beginning of the episode, when Hanekawa's letter to herself is read out through a sequence done in the same fashion as that of the Nekomonogatari opening, but everything else is still as visually dull and lethargic as ever. It's not even that things are done with the 'shaft' style, really; it's that they can't even ape the things they used to do. It's as wordy as it's ever been, but there's nothing to keep the pace up, no momentum in any of the events that happen.

Yeah I don't quite know what SHAFT are doing with their direction of this show for the moment. Obviously the letter montage is the best visually directed part of the episode and the episode as a whole has unusually high levels of animation for a SHAFT production but there traditional style is nearly completely missing, apart from the quick cutting. I personally found it to be effective but it was certainly missing their usual, Shinbo-esque touch.

One thing you failed to mention is the voice acting, which isn't something that I'd usually talk about but as the voice actors in this series have a lot of lines to read I felt that it's worth pointing out they do a great job. Also, Nyan.

BluWacky

What did we stay up for then?! D:

For once I win the time zone lottery - I got to sleep in AND eat my breakfast while they massacred Moonlight Densetsu.

As ducky says, though, we've known MomoKuro were doing the OP/ED and that it would be a worldwide broadcast for a long time. I guess it's good to know a rough air date, but with so much still up in the air (no seiyuu for Usagi as yet apparently!!!!) I just don't think they have any other information for us at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom